Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish protocol.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,640 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

But 85% support for Remain over Leave is not any kind of indication of "the absence of critical, reflective and independent thinking". Ironically, your assumption that it is seems itself to exemplify the very lack of reflection and critical thinking that you deplore. There's no a priori reason to assume that critical and reflective analysis of policy must result in a division of opinion about the policy. If the policy is poorly conceived, poorly articulated and poorly implemented then critical and reflective analysis should result in an overwhelming rejection. And that's very much the case here.

As you point out yourself, the "greater divide up North is sad to see". But, in the NI context, Brexit is inherently divisive. It increases the differences between British and Irish identity and associations; sabotages much of the parity of treatment which resulted from both the UK and Ireland participating in the EU, the Single Market, the Customs Union, etc; and forces people to make choices that weren't previously necessary between policy settings that favour British identity/links over Irish identity/links, or vice versa. If division in NI is a bad thing, then how can any reflective, independent critical thinker in NI support the inherently divisive Brexit?

So, you would expect independent, reflective, critical thinkers in NI to oppose Brexit. If anything, it's the community that contains many members who don't or won't recognise the harm that Brexit threatens to NI, and who can therefore be talked into supporting Brexit, which seems to be displaying the lower level of independence, reflection and critical thinking.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

A thorough spanking if I do say so myself. ☝️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Okay I take your word for it (that what you posted about NI nationalists didn't imply some kind of support for Brexit) but a diversity of opinion is again unassociated with the "health" of a society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,721 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You'd expect an independent, reflective, critical thinker to understand all that, but no..'nationalists, something something something!'

To my mind nationalist/Irish/EU membership supporting political representation 'understood' immediately what Brexit meant and set about persuading a reluctant Dublin government of Enda Kenny(he was waving away the need for special status) about the need for a special status/arrangement for NI to mitigate the effects of Brexit.

Then they had the sense to stand back and allow Dublin to be seen as the voice of the Irish/Eu membership supporting demographic and Coveney et al have stepped up to the plate, supported by a political consensus behind them. Whether 'standing back' was by accident or design is a matter for conjecture but it can be seen as a political masterstroke in my opinion, EU supporters in the north be they Nationalist Unionist or other, now look to Dublin for political representation/protection. Belligerent Unionism/Loyalism has turned on FG (once inviting these belligerents to party conferences etc) and the Irish government as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The thing about FG is they are very anglophile, but they are staunchly pro-EU too (more than FF, and much more than SF who were extremely eurosceptic till quite recently). I don't think either of FGs positions have changed much at base (even if they are exasperated with the current UK govt + show it), but UK/NI politics has changed alot.

Now that "Britishness" is (I think) being defined by the UK right wing and by some Unionist politicians in NI partly as opposition to and hatred of the EU, it is a problem for them. IMO It results in seeming absurdities like Varadkar/Coveney becoming Unionist whipping boys! That last does seem mad the more I think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Francie knows that unionists are looking to Dublin for political representation.

Are you for real or just on a wind up?

My nearest neighbours across the border are Unionist farmers. Absolutely they are looking to Dublin to ensure they remain in the EU.

In their opinion they are ruined if they have to Bexit along with the UK. I am positive they are not unique.

I could completely understand why they would tell YOU that francie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Amazing that you don't apply that level of scrutiny to your own flash polls, Downcow! Hahahahaha

Well I could say the same about you.

Why would they tell the truth to someone as trenchant as you are about Unionist groupthink?

The growth in the Alliance vote and Unionist political implosion is a direct result of my neighbours change and people like them downcow.

• Advertisement

You have some fanciful ideas to support your wishful thinking.

emplosion of unionists?

alliance rise?

setting aside the rise of sf & dup, there is no other great changes. Alliance party were decimated by the women’s coalition in the late 90s, who are now gone and they’ve recovered somewhat, but they are still not quite back to their percentage vote in the 70s

here’s the local government elections which is about the most consistent measure since 1970

So Unionism is not in bother then? Is that your point? How many leaders did the DUP ship out again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Good to see that Boris Johnson has rung Micheal Martin to threaten RE the protocol.

Top guy, Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭maebee

Johnson - "The implementation of the protocol was now colliding with economic and political realities and significant change was necessary".

Eh, that would be the protocol you signed up for in your oven-ready Brexit deal. BREXIT is colliding with economic and political realities.

Interesting report. It seems now that mr Martin and me are on the same page. It’s just a few posters on here that are still in denial and claiming there cannot be negotiations under any circumstances

”The prime minister and the Taoiseach agreed that a negotiated outcome was the preferred outcome and to work hard to achieve it,"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bloidy hell! Nobody ever has said that they can't negotiate. They said that the NIP will not be renegotiated and that any changes negotiated will be within the parameters of the NIP. Is there a particular reason that you have immense difficulty in understanding this?

This is straight out of the handbook that unionists have always used all the way since Brexit.

Pretend you have won no matter what.

No matter how many times you repeat this it still isn't true.

You've been corrected every single time you've done it, so there is no way this constant pretending act is anything but low grade trolling.

If Boris took a sh*te on your doorstep, you'd be on here boasting about the new fertiliser deal Unionism had secured.

Just to be clear, on page 4 of the thread (when Downcow was still in his, 'the Protocol must go' phase, before graduating to the new, 'the Protocol must be eased' phase to spare blushes and the impression of taking a loss when it became apparent that wasn't going to happen).

To emphasise;

There'll be adjustments in the protocol that are built into it already

So right at the start of this thread Downcow was crowing about the legal challenge getting rid of the NI Protocol, was met with, 'there is plenty of scope for negotiation within the bounds of the Protocol', quietly retreated to a position of claiming to want the Protocol adjusted and keeps repeating the LIE that (s)he has been told there cannot be negotiations under any circumstances when for six months, (s)he has been told there is scope for negotiation.....and it was actually his/her position that shifted to being open to negotiation as opposed to the originally stated, 'it must go' position.

Pure acting the cod to keep parroting the provably wrong back time and time again, despite repeated corrections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bring back maryishere.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭rock22

But you were talking about Unionists marching in Dublin earlier in this tread. Presumably in the knowledge that only the Government here ,and the EU in general, have the Unionists' interests at hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

But in fairness D you wouldn't exactly be a typical unionist with an Irish father who sung that national anthem. It may be the case that the unionist community didn't exactly tell you what they thought either. I knew a unionist with an Irish grandfather who was excluded from certain events because of that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Ah yes, her stories of WWII Airmen flinging their own excrement down on Ireland such was their hatred of us, absolute gold.

So less spin and let’s be clear. Many pages back I asked several times what was within and without what you se as possible under ‘flexibilities’ available within the protocol. You all refused to answer so as you could later claim, ah but that’s part of the flexibilities we knew were coming.

coveny has said the Eu have recently made compromises. What does he mean?

also let’s be clear - if the Eu change their laws to allow Uk medicines freedom to move into ni, will you accept that has been negotiated and is outside the parameters of the nip?

- there will be many more but I think that may be the first concrete evidence

The only position in this thread that has changed is downcow's.

When you see the Protocol binned, THEN they will be negotiating outside the Protocol.

That just about sums it up. So no matter what Eu and Uk agree, some posters on here feel that the only thing considered to be outside the parameters of the nip is binning the nip. So maybe we are much closer than I thought. ….and don’t tell me that that is not a massive u turn by francie

I am saying the exact same thing as I was saying to you 6-10 months ago. The 'Protocol' is going nowhere. You on the other hand have been all over the place - to the courts.. hoping against hope, to fantasy weekly trips to Dublin to disrupt it...to singing the praises of the Protocol although there were somethings in it that you cannot countenance....to...where are we today?

• Advertisement

All very interesting. Seems mr Martin is as sensitive as you 😀.

you say there is nothing in the British statement that is outside the parameters of the nip. Mr Martin, strangely, wants to dispel the British statement - why would he do that if it wasn’t implying something outside the nip? Something doesn’t add up mr francie and mr Martin. I smell a rat

Advertisement