Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will life go back to normal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It's still people In ICU with an entirely preventable viras. Cancer and heart desise are not entirely preventable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Covid is as preventable as cancer and heart disease - your habits and lifestyle can mitigate it, but even if you take all precautions you can still get cancer (same for covid).

We dont lament ICU filling with flu patients yearly either, and castigate them for catching a "preventable" illness?

What about car crash victims? Sure if they didnt drive that night, they wouldnt need ICU treatment. Preventable my hole

we will have to agree to disagree I am not blaming anyone for being in ICU with covid or anything else it one of those things, it those who say its only old people or those with underlying health conditions I have an issue with.

Cancer is not preventable the lifestyle aspect is way oversold, smoking is different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Unless something drastically changes within our health system I think Ireland will be facing the effects of covid for quite some time. We will continue to run in cycles, good times ease restrictions, bad times increase restrictions.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm not sure if things will return to how they were pre-pandemic. I used to think how strange it was seeing people from Asia walking around London in masks long after the SARS virus had died down. In this case we need it to die down globally, but there are many poor nations that seem to have little chance of being able to fully vaccinate their populations. Herd immunity seems to be less likely to be achieved as this virus can be caught multiple times, sometimes not very far apart. It seems to have a hold that may be difficult to break free of, and we may be resigned to annual boosters. I think we will be able to drop all restrictions though due to vaccinations being available in countries like our own

Equally we need to be vigilant for new variants or indeed completely new viruses. Maybe it was always a matter of time before something like this hit, and the way the world has developed into global market places and with so much international travel we may be exposed to new viruses.

Maybe part of the solution (which may not be particularly popular) will be to make international travel more difficult (which will also help with global warming targets). 50 years ago it was typically only businessmen that would take flights, but the take off of package holidays in the 1970s triggered a desire of many people to explore further afield. I know I did not get on a plane until I was 26. Over the following 26 years I probably caught 3-400 flights or more. Zero flights over the past 20 months mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

How about a crash victim who is in ICU because he refused to wear a seat belt? A decision that meant instead of getting out of the car with a few bruises, he now has life threatening injuries. The crash might not be entirely preventable, but the severity of the injuries are.

Did flu patients ever fill up ICUs on a scale anywhere close to Covid patients prior to the pandemic?

Did flu patients ever fill up ICUs on a scale anywhere close to unvaccinated Covid patients prior to the pandemic?

Yes, ICUs routinely risked being at capacity due to flu patients taking up 2/3 or more of ICU beds, in good years it was less, bad years it could be more. A bad flu season would push our health system to its limit, not to mention the trolley crises in general care. HSE have historical reports on confirmed influenza cases and numbers in ICU each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Bot1

The premise of the original question is flawed.

It's like people asking after WW1 or WW2, The Wall Street Crash or The Spanish Flu - when will life go back to normal before XYZ.......

There is no going back. We are living through history at the moment.

It's all about adapting and going with it, which is what society has always done.

Some of the adaptions will be - more robust Health Services that can cope with surges, more capacity in our schools to deal with staff shortages, WFH, air purification systems, wearing masks when symptomatic, not calling to peoples houses when your sick etc. etc.

• Advertisement

I'm hopeful that boosters will offer stronger immunity, early data from Israel suggests as much. I'm hopeful that new treatments will continue to be produced, like that pill recently. I'm hopeful the virus will mutate into something more benign, similar to the Spanish flu, it isn't ideal for a virus to kill its host.

So, yes, eventually will we get fully back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Calling the UK back to normal is pushing it but at least there is not the limbo that plagues Ireland. Moved from Dublin to London in August and I have not looked back since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So the people who are double jabbed, but still get Covid and need some ICY care - how could they have prevented it, exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭funkyzeit100

There's no sign of anything going back to normal, just wishful thinking of a nebulous "some time at some point".

Looking at the impact, from child psycology problems to millions of people of dead, our quality of life has been reduced.

Perhaps our overall life expectancies have been reduced, maybe we're all waiting to bite the bullet from covid in the end. We'll see.

However the origin of this virus, as well as a million other problems, has been globalisation. Globalisation needs to be seriously re-thought as to it's overall benefits (there are very few for most people).

And as a matter of retribution and justice, I want to see China held accountable and be penalized for the whole disaster. They were warned 500 ways about their lifestyles and that it could create pandemics, and they willfully ignored it.

If I have to wear a mask for the rest of my life because of some Chinese **** up, I want them punished for it so as they won't ignore international advice ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

The amount of publications centered around environmentalism, food production methods and disease forecasts that contain china as a primary "target" is gigantic, stretching back over a decade and more.

No, I'm not going to put a bibliography together for you. It's all there and you'll find it within minutes of looking about.

They were warned again and again, and they ignored it again and again. And voila, here we are.

That they have actually benefitted through the pandemic that they caused, in terms of "buying opportunities" and the like is just the icing on the cake.

They are accountable for this situation.

Mickey Jones, down the lane.

And also the various branches of the United Nations, WHO, ecdc, cdc, and you name it.

As above, if you want to know, you'll find it all within minutes.

If you don't want to know, that's even easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Possibility the answer to this is never, but at the least it's going to be years tbh. At this stage, it's a bit foolish to hope this is done even by this time next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I THINK this is the new normal. Every death will be treated like a car accident. Need to open up, and go full steam ahead.

There is no answer, all we can do is create a 1000 more icu beds, as we'll need them. In a covid world you need a covid hospital, build a new hospital with 2000 general beds.

• Advertisement

It's more about society preventing lowering covid not individuals by themselves. It's a sobering thought that 3 years ago no one was in ICU with covid not one single individual.

I don't see life ever going back to normal in Ireland. But the good news is that I see there being countries people will be able to emigrate to. Sates in the US, Scandinavia, possibly Brazil. Maybe England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Wuhan has a population of over 8 million, and they haven't had a covid case for a while now, an odd single case here and there. That's 8m tightly packed people, I dunno how there are doing it.

If it is to be believed, it is because China is an authoritarian regime far beyond anything we see in the west. They have tight control over borders and no political opposition, so they can lock down and disappear whoever they like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Simple. The Chinese figures are completely made up. Based on deliveries of cremation urns it is believed the real death rate in Wuhan is at least six-fold higher than the official one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Late Spring, Summer and early Autumn should return to normal or very close to normal soon unless we have a variant that evades immunity. Albeit masks (in public transport and retail) and social distancing (in offices etc) might need a few years before that happens in these seasons.

Every Winter, for the foreseeable future, we need an "adjustment" by society. That adjustment is likely to be mandatory WFH for Winter, masks and a lot of people choosing to avoid large gatherings.

So it won't really be back to normal then. Masks and social distancing anywhere means life is not back to normal.

What I really don't understand is why sensible countries such as Sweden and Norway get on with life, and England too to a lesser extent, while in Ireland it's years way and/or never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Russman

As Bot1 mentions above:

"There is no going back. We are living through history at the moment.

It's all about adapting and going with it, which is what society has always done."

IMHO wishing we were back in 2019 is wasted energy, its not happening, not now, not ever. We might get close to how we were, but there's always going to be some part of life, however large or trivial, that's different to what it was. Whether its masks, covid jabs, vaccine certs, whatever, some things are just going to be different. There's never been a world event that hasn't led to permanent change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Some people think we are better than them.

UK = 66m. So 1000/13=75, thats pretty close to our weekly death rate if not less. With UK hospitalisations dropping despite consistently highish case numbers. Speaking of case numbers, they are averaging ~40k (40,000/13=3,000), again not a number we're even matching currently.

Yet we have panic they have normal. And someone who says do what they do is a granny killer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Estonia has a large neighbour with weapons that is also an old coloniser that'd like it back. Huge risk unless Putin and his politics are replaced.

Advertisement