Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Bolloxolgy.

Options

Comments

True, no existing examples but for a different reason than the SMR's.

The examples you are looking for are being planned and built so you'll have to wait a bit longer to see them finished.

The examples I'm looking for from you haven't left your imagination yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭green daries

Your living in a dream world your quoting rubbish most of the time

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mod note; I suggest you read the charter, especially the part about being civil to other users. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057309495/farming-forestry-charter-updated-21-02-17-read-before-posting#latest

Also the bit about not being a dick is pertinent.

True, no existing examples but for a different reason than the SMR's.

The examples you are looking for are being planned and built so you'll have to wait a bit longer to see them finished.

The examples I'm looking for from you haven't left your imagination yet

Let's keep the personal stuff out of it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

For all the talk in this thread about lab-grown meat I don't believe that is going to be the future. I think it will be insect protein. That probably repulses a lot of people (especially in the western world) but it ticks a lot of boxes.

Per kg of protein produced vs beef:

• Requires a much smaller footprint
    • Requires less feed
    • Produces less greenhouse gases
    • Requires far less water
    • Is no less nutritious
    • Are already eaten by 2 billion people around the world

Right now it's more expensive as the industry is in its infancy in comparison to the conventional meat industry but that will change in the same manner as any other new industry.

Post edited by Brussels Sprout on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Economist have set up temporary stalls here in London with Crickets and Ice Cream. They're kinda tastelss if I'm being honest. I've had cricket powder and it was the same. Lab grown meat sounds great but it'll be decades before economies of scale can be set up.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Surprised it's not done in a big way to produce farmed fish food - rather than just hoovering up everything from the ocean ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

I'd be far more in favour of insect protein than lab meat, I actually don't see anything repulsive about the idea. Lab meat on the other hand sounds completely repulsive and most likely bland as meat is flavoured by the diet of the animal it's taken from.

I'm fairly sceptical of all future super diets that claim to be superior in every way including nutritional value, cost and carbon footprint. These claims are usually preceded by they can be better and cheaper once scaled up, but there always seems to be a catch in that scaling up is not as easy or cheap currently, but definitely will eventually followed by a realization that scaling up has many of the same draw backs as current food production. But I guess we will see now pass the grasshoppers.

Honestly can't see how lab meat could get approval in Europe, since they want to cut down antibiotic use and have baned using growth hormones in meat production as it is. Will be much easier in other regions like the States but I think very unlikely here.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Slick666

Everyone always blames the farmers, they are a scapegoat. I come from a dairy farm and I was watching a TV program the other day about the construction of a new airport in NY costing 8 billion! I told this to my dad and he gave a sarcastic laugh. He said I bet their emissions from the planes etc are given a blind eye!!! And its true. How can a few cows cause so much trouble yet you have jets, massive industries blowing smoke 24/7!! Its just crazy that farmers are the big bag guys that are destroying the environment.

How can a few cows cause so much trouble yet you have jets, massive industries blowing smoke 24/7!!

It's not one or the other. Any greenhouse gas reduction solutions will need to tackle all of those areas that you mentioned. Flights will need to reduced if an alternative fuel source cannot be found for them. Factories will need to stop belching out so much greenhouse causing gases. As for the cows, if it really was only "a few" or even only a few million there wouldn't be any issue but there are about a billion of them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Also you need to cut down trees and clear land for cattle. And they consume huge resources vs other options. See the Amazon right now.

Basically too many people consuming too much meat/dairy/... or switching to meat which consumes/destroys too much land and resources (land, air, soil, water). Farming is going mega farming/mega cheap round the world. It's not just a few cows in Ireland.

Didn't even mention climate change here.

And I'm a meat eater and think we should pay a lot more for the meat we eat, so long as it's produced with the environment and animal welfare in mind.

As a matter of interest how many ruminants should exist in the world if humans didn't wipe out the wild ones and replace them with domestic ones?

It's estimated that there are less cattle today in the US than there were larger buffalo before the Europeans arrived. Would Europe or other regions be much different? Could be argued that rumination is a natural process with and should not be compared to the many unnatural sources of carbon in the world today.

There are actually way less than there ever was it is a choice planes or Hunger in certain areas. Cows really aren't the problem if we cut the pet numbers on the planet by half even it. Would really help

Would Europe or other regions be much different? 

Frankly, yes. Our own country, for example, was covered in forests prior to humans arriving here. I'd be very surprised if the total number of ruminants on the planet is not dramatically higher now then at any other time in history.

Yes, we realize Ireland is vastly different, and cattle are not native but emissions are a global issue so it doesn't really matter where they are produced.

But globally how many should there be?

You'd be surprised if, is not really an answer though.

Given the relatively short history of America, we can see today's domestic cattle numbers are not vastly different to their previous wild populations. Europe would be harder to gauge but why would it be vastly different. Current cattle numbers in Europe are lower than US numbers and Europe and the US had similar wild species roaming around long before humans started hunting/farming them.

Also Ireland was not completely forest either our native grazing animals were deer some of which were very large and had antlers far too big to live in dense forests. These animals for all we know may have been preventing areas turning to forest as many grazing animals do until humans wiped them out.

You'd be surprised if, is not really an answer though.

Well you speculated on a matter without any evidence to back up your musings so you can't really complain that my response also did not have any evidence.

By the way you also didn't back up your claim about buffalo - it doesn't appear to be true. Currently there are nearly 100 million cattle in the USA alone whereas the largest estimate for buffalo in North America appears to be around 60 million.

As for Europe. It was once covered in forest but that has been mush reduced over time. There's plenty of evidence for that but here's one of the first that I found

In just six thousand years, more than half of Europe’s central and northern forests have disappeared, according to the results of new research. In a recent study published in Scientific Reportsscientists showed how most of the land there – more than two-thirds – was once covered by forests.

link

• Advertisement

Much of the Amazon is laid waste as it is over used for cropping firstly before beef cropping is what uses the most resources from soils it removes the most nutrients and releases the most carbon by a mile. Then you have all the other factors like the enormous amounts of water used to grow these crops irrigation the complete distruction of water aquifers.pesticides etc etc etc,but ya sure cows =bad ...... get a grip will ye

Howya frankly now I'm not sure if you are aware but there's way more methane emissions from fracking alone than there is methane produced by cattle. Soooooooo in answer to the what ifs and maybes I think it is very plain it's a case of one over the other when it comes to pollution

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Lmfao!!

so your telling me we should all trust in these SMR’s even though there are no examples of this technology feeding commercial grids, yet you are giving out about renewables which is tried and tested as a grid connected power source and calling out anyone with the common sense to say renewables are a good idea!

You and others on here have some neck!

I've seen different estimates of between 50 - 80 million buffalo, but in case you didn't notice they are considerably bigger than modern cattle so produce more methane through rumination. Also they are the ones that were wiped out entirely, nearly all other wild ruminants in North America have also been vastly reduced.

Even taking the most conservative figures of 50 million, the pre-settlement wild ruminants produced 86% of modern day farming figures. Today's wild ruminants only 4.3% of that figure.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22178852/

Plenty of very large wild ruminants missing from Europe, Africa and Asia such as Irish Elk, Auroch, Bison etc, each producing much more methane than a modern domestic cow.

Interesting Europe has needed to reintroduce wild cattle to protect biodiversity due to declining animal husbandry in many areas. https://rewildingeurope.com/rewilding-in-action/wildlife-comeback/tauros/

I’d imagine it’s much better to eat Irish meat that’s grown relatively locally, compared to mass produced Brazilian beef that has to be shipped and trucked here, with huge swathes of the Amazon cut down to make space for the cattle.

Not to mention the animal welfare issues.

Perfect sensible post . And just to add to that the fact that if supermarkets weren't driving price's into the ground we are more than capable of producing a large share of our own fruits and vegetables

Yeah agreed. If we are going to eat meat eat local meat and pay a decent price for it, but make sure a high percentage of it goes to the farmer as opposed to Larry and his offal plant and the Tesco’s of this world.

Im not a farmer by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Wild Ruminents in their native land tend to better adapted to native ecosystems and work in harmony with them - thats why some are suggesting bringing back the "Buffalo Commons" to the US prairies

• Advertisement

Ya Probably the best thing imo anyone can do from a climate point of view is to eat more local produce it's madness what is going on at the moment

Advertisement