Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

No denial. People trying to use it because they know the empire days aren't coming back and a UI is becoming more likely.

There always was people thought an independent NI was a way to go. Good on them.

Wanting a UI is not denying they exist. This is just more sour grape sneering because its looking like a UI.

Fun to see traditional partitionists flirt with nationalism, even if it comes with amendments.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It seems that our old friend Conor Murphy who can't seem to remember which PIRA leader told him that they weren't involved in the murder of Paul Quinn has been telling some porkies to the Stormont Assembly.

"A whistleblower has revealed that Conor Murphy's department knew it was issuing excessive rates bills. Now £255m is at stake & he wants to ram retrospective law through the Assembly with minimal scrutiny - to prevent those unfair rates bills being appealed."

I wonder whether that whistleblower will receive the same accolades from Mary-Lou as McCabe and others in the South?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Aaaah…… poor Conor, i mentioned the lad earlier in the thread in the same context if I recall correctly.

Im sure he will handle it with his usual aplomb.

lot of this stuff seems to be cropping up recently.

First there’s Conor , now this……..

Quite worrying given the current situation in the Republic.

Given that many of these community and voluntary groups are often Sinn Fein in disguise, there is certainly a whiff of corruption off this. Would like to see more detail, hopefully this will be properly investigated.

• Advertisement

Yes B, strong bang off it for sure.

As you say hopefully it will be properly investigated as one would be ‘ surprised’ if the same alleged practices

didnt bleed into similar behaviour down South.

Strong light needs to be shone on this kind of stuff……. if reports are true.

No doubt all will come out in the inquiry which I presume will be called for.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

recognising that a middle ground is appearing isn't sour grapes. its just accepting reality. it makes complete sense as well. I don't see many people cheerleading that.

The people who think a United Ireland is so simple are utterly delusional. And pointing that out and criticising that, doesn't mean people want the Empire back. Its a necessary criticism to avoid further conflict.

I think most people in the Republic would deep down want a United Ireland. But there is plenty of people that would have worries and reservations. Particularly due to the amount of ignoranuses that abound on this Isle. And by ignoranuses i mean people who can't accept the reality around the middle ground appearing. And the fact that we have to deal with it, and realpolitik. The truth is an independent NI would be worse off and a middle ground would be easier to persuade than an entrenched protestant population. So its not a negative angle. It complicates things a tad when you have the McIllroys of the World but deep down they would know a United Ireland would be stronger than an independent Ireland. Now the Unionist community is a different story of course.

But in no way is analysing this or talking about it got to do with anything you are talking about. These are discussions and debates that have to take place. people can put their heads in the sand all you want. click your heels three times and yeah you'll end up in a UNited Ireland. a utopia and fantasy all shades of green and gaelic. People like yourself who immediately equate any opposite opinion as some sort of longing for an empire, are ironically the biggest barrier to a United Ireland. Its funny people like you can't see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

The people who think a United Ireland is so simple are utterly delusional. And pointing that out and criticising that, doesn't mean people want the Empire back. Its a necessary criticism to avoid further conflict.

I don't believe I've seen it written or spoken about anywhere that a united Ireland will be "simple"

Even from Sinn Fein, people recognise and understand any potential United Ireland will have to come on the back of a lot of discussion, change, and mutual agreement and concessions.

Things like a new flag could be on the table, national anthem, police force, health system, overhaul of the political scene, education etc etc etc.

I believe it's an inevitability at this stage, possibly even in my lifetime, but no one ever suggested it would be simple. Where did you get that idea from can I ask?

Oh dearie me, more Mercs and Perks issues for Sinn Fein. Will they ever learn?

Imagine Leo had taken the Government jet to see Kylie, we would have had consternations on here, yet, will there be a peep when a Sinn Fein Minister leaves the jurisdiction on personal business using official vehicles?

Saying those of us looking to a UI need to learn and accept the opinions of others suggests we don't. Repeating that at every hands turn smacks of sour grapes to me.

Here you are talking about people who want a UI that think its simple.

People like me merely speak on a UI. People like you have all these accusations based on God knows what. I expect you'll be posting on the people who what things to remain as is with as much gusto.

I know people have different opinions. I can talk about the possibilities of a UI without having to state the obvious. I don't feel like I need to apologise to those who have a different opinion and don't expect them to apologise to me.

So coming in with, 'yeah but others think differently' is moot unless its being used to turn the conversation.

• Advertisement

Seems a lot of this stuff emerging from the ‘black hole’ that is SF politics B…..

They seem like a team who had a defence that kept a clean sheet for yonks and suddenly have leaked goals big time.

Presumably all this will get ‘investigated’ by the Village and Phoenix Magazine…?

Lads up in Connolly House asleep at the wheel?

Indeed, I look forward to the special edition of the Village on this. Unlike me, going on previous form, they are likely to make a huge issue of this corrupt use of public funds.

I think the point being made is that those looking to a United Ireland will forever be in a diminishing minority in the North if they fail to learn and accept the opinions of others. That is always the lot of arcane thinking and arcane political objectives.

Of course, people can hang on to the dream of a pure United Ireland based on an exclusionary nationalist ideology that sees no place on this island for those of a British persuasion, but increasingly, that is seen for the limited and damaging vision that it is.

Given the whoo haaah they made about other stuff I would suggest that we can expect special editions .Like, if they don’t it would surely call into question their agenda?

Interesting times Bee

Nah, its not. Its shutting down talk of a UI for people like yourself to condescend to us looking to it or wanting to talk about it.

Just read your post back to yourself there.

The basis of it is fear of SF getting an electoral bump off it IMO.

I love a great number of brits. You are stuck in an antiquated 'us and them' mind set. There are British people want a UI too.

This is delirious stuff. How can someone who is commenting on the emergence of a third minority in Northern Ireland be accused of an "us and them" mentality? It is the opposite by definition.

Clearly, those who are wedded to a united Ireland, a unitary State, they are the ones with the antiquated ideology, they are the ones buried in exclusionary nationalism, and they are the ones who are seeing the support for a united Ireland dropping in the North over time. Clinging to the outdated binary vision as you and others do is the clear sign of an "us and them" mentality. Looking for a third way, be that more autonomy within the UK, or a quasi-independent NI with joint oversight from the UK and the EU, or some other third form (including variations on the current peaceful status quo) is clearly the approach of those who are solution-focussed from an inclusive perspective.

As for the Paul McCartney stuff, he was of Irish stock, and qualified for an Irish passport. Hilarious as much as delirious.

I think the point being made is that those looking to a United Ireland will forever be in a diminishing minority in the North if they fail to learn and accept the opinions of others. That is always the lot of arcane thinking and arcane political objectives.

The above is not talking about a third way of thinking it's making negative assumptions about people looking to a UI.

Of course, people can hang on to the dream of a pure United Ireland based on an exclusionary nationalist ideology that sees no place on this island for those of a British persuasion, but increasingly, that is seen for the limited and damaging vision that it is.

The above is condescending toward anyone seeking a UI. It's not talking about people seeking a third option.

At it again I see.

I said:

I love a great number of brits. You are stuck in an antiquated 'us and them' mind set. There are British people want a UI too.

Now you are saying:

Clinging to the outdated binary vision as you and others do is the clear sign of an "us and them" mentality.

Address the criticism. Don't try lob it back. It gets us nowhere.

You make a lot of negative assumptions about people seeking a UI, then you try preach about the closed minded ignorance of others.

Now you're going after McCartney because I posted his video 😎

Drop the negative vitriol. Most of us appreciate and accept the opinions of others.

You really don't get it. I don't buy into the West London view of hardcore unionists, neither do I buy into the Green Island view of the exclusionary nationalists. I reject both!!! That makes me as far away from the Northern Irish "us and them" view of the world as it is possible to be.

You struggle with that because you struggle to see anything other than if one is against a united Ireland, then one is a unionist/partitionist, putting you in the classic "us and them" position.

I am critical of nationalists exactly because they are stuck in that rut or tunnel vision of a united Ireland. Be open-minded, consider other options, don't be just a mirror image of recalcitrant unionists, because that is exactly what you appear to be.

Of course I am an Irish nationalist in that someday I would like a united Ireland, but I also acknowledge that is a rainbow and unicorns aspiration that is unlikely to ever happen. Furthermore, my Irishness is only one part of my identity, being a Dub and a European (among other things) are also important aspects of my identity (I have probably watched more European Ryder Cup than Ireland soccer games in recent years). Together, in the round, I therefore consider myself a post-nationalist, where my Irish nationalism is not the most important thing about me. I can also be ashamed of aspects of my identity. I am ashamed of those who call themselves Irish nationalists and who supported PIRA terrorism and operate their nationalism on an exclusionary basis. You see, as Brucie has said often enough, nationalism is not the preserve of Sinn Fein, and the church of nationalism (oh the irony of those two divisive symbols) should be broad enough to include me.

I find that I have to explain this a lot on here, because there are many who see things through binary lens (the "us and them" cohort), and can't comprehend that a person can be many things. Nothing I have said on the issue is incompatible.

You seem to have a very negative view of people who want a UI. You can't speak on it without being condescending or insulting.

This:

You struggle with that because you struggle to see anything other than if one is against a united Ireland, then one is a unionist/partitionist, putting you in the classic "us and them" position.

That little nugget ignores everything I've been saying.

Because myself and others want a UI doesn't mean we don't appreciate and accept other views.

• Advertisement

I find that I have to explain this a lot on here, because there are many who see things through binary lens (the "us and them" cohort), and can't comprehend that a person can be many things. Nothing I have said on the issue is incompatible.

I would suggest it's because you've never a good or even civil word to say about those seeking a UI. Its all about how they have to learn and how they live in a dream etc. etc.

Well yes, they do live in a dream. They think that the British people in Northern Ireland can just be wished away.

I don't have a civil word to say about those who want a UI that is exclusionary, just as I don't have a civil word to say about those who want a West London in Belfast.

You can't see that the rejection of both sectarian visions is the way forward.

The fact that your cohort label others as partitionists if they don't share your call for a border poll in breach of the GFA conditions is example enough that you don't appreciate and accept other views. In fact, the hostility demonstrated towards my views is evidence enough of the exclusionary nature of Irish republicanism.

Getting back on topic, which is the wonderful adventures of Sinn Fein, I see the Indo have a longer piece than the earlier article about the Mercs and Perks scandal.

It seems this is not the first time that Sinn Fein have abused the rules and regulations around the use of Ministerial transport. I see that there is complete cronyism in them using their own drivers rather than civil service drivers. Jobs for the lads indeed.

Where are the usual lads who call out cronyism all the time? I doubt that this will get any response, other than deflection attempts to target other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Certainly doesn't look good, particularly given the amount of moaning we hear from the Shinners about cronyism and dodgy tenders down here.

That being said, a bit of a root beneath the surface and it doesn't look like money ultimately is being siphoned off by any of these groups and into their own pockets, but rather these groups are being used to potentially unevenly distribute these funds into areas with strong SF support without proper oversight.

The community groups named in the article certainly aren't SF in disguise, the issue of some SF councillors sitting as board members in them most definitely needs questioned though. Exaggerating the story to add that last little bit of fantasy undermines the entirely legitimate criticism grounded in reality.

The first reaction to that post would seem to be that if the Shinners get into power in the South, they would concentrate

resources in their areas of biggest support but others would pay the bill.

I feel that that is a very fair assumption extrapolating from what’s goin on up North.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I certainly wouldn't be expecting to see them making great strides to push for anything that would directly benefit me or my family. Indeed, more likely to see the hand extended to ask me for more.

Now if it was just a case of seeing the funds being moved into areas of greatest need, I wouldn't mind being on the hook to pay for something I'll never see much benefit from. Leaves a sour taste when, 'greatest support for SF' seems to be the deciding factor rather than need.

More evidence of my position stated earlier in thread; a SF government would be no different to what we've had in the past, just different snouts in the trough and the brown envelopes going to different eircodes.

They're certainly not our saviours, but nor are they the harbingers of end times, just a lot of hot air followed by more of the same....I'd expect followed by a rapid jump back to the Opposition bench with a very short memory when it comes to finger pointing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭celt262

They will be coming into a financial mess if they get elected and will spend there term pointing the finger at FG/FF/Covid for the taxes they will impose and at the same time throw Britney a few bones to keep her happy in her council house with the 7 kids and live in boyfriend who spends his days down the bookies.

how in the name of Christ is that sour grapes? if people can accept the path to a United Ireland is deeply complex, and will need a hell of a lot of concession and co-operation, then i say fair play.

I aknowledge and accept the people who want things to remain as they are. cause thats the reality of things. Some people do not want a UNited Ireland. And many people all across Ireland think its some sort of fait acompli. that its just a simple matter. maybe you don't, fine. Many do.

Fair enough if you accept the other position. your reply to Blanch didn't suggest that. I don;t really read the thread so sorry if i took that up wrong.

But the idea that its so obvious and doesn't need to be spoken about is untrue. it will be one of the greatest upheavels and periods of change in Irish history. conversations need to take place without aspersion or judgement.

• Advertisement

If you believe that there's a majority on this Island who would readily accept those changes, i have a bridge to sell you.

Yeah SF made those noises, and fair play. But just have a read over any thread on this. ON comment sections, boards, the journal, reddit. Don't gaslight me into thinking that i dreamed it up. MIllions of Irish people wouldn't want those changes. Look at Irelands call in rugby for a small microcosm of the issue. Personally i accept it. The only way Ireland unites is under those conditions.

The reality is theres many people who think a vote should take place, a 1 per cent win and then we can rail road the unionists into a United Ireland, problem free. You even get bigots who talk of them leaving to go to UK. Delusional stuff. And now somebody mentioning that there is a third issue, that of an independent NI and a third identity is being called out. **** ridiculous.

Seeing this is a SF thread its clear to see that SF will lose hard Republican support for those concessions. I live in the inner city in Dublin. Theres people here who will leave the bosom of SF once they get in as the promises will fail to materialise. They will turn to the Nationalist Party. i'm already seeing a bit of it happening locally.

Advertisement