Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Where is the extra supply going to come from in May??

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I bought a few ton that will cover most of first spread around mid March, gona wait and see after that. Have a feeling with prices so high, demand will soften. Please god tho, theyl be able to import more by then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Wonder will it soften the price for cattle in the spring?

Hard to know. Speaking to a feed merchant sales man last week. He expects rations Togo up by 40/ton between now and early January and he dose not think it will stop there. That will put rations heading for 350/ton in bulk and lucky bags will be heading for 400/ton

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Not a clue but trying to figure out a strategy. All I'm trying to do is buy time in the hope that things may cool

• Advertisement

I cannot see supply appearing in May and even if some dose it unlikely to be much cheaper. Any manufactured will be with expensive gas. Hard to see gas prices softening before May/June next year. Even then it will be dependent on the new gas line opening in Germany.

Supply may be as much of a problem as price. Slight downsizing should be considered. A 10%reduction in demand will lead to 20% less grass demand.

Another factor to consider is ration prices. Rations priced could be under fierce pressure by early/mid summer next year. By that stage yields for 2022 harvest should be fairly well known. Southern hemisphere crop will be know and projected shortage will be known.

Any plan should seriously consider herd reduction as can people cope with fertlizer prices being 2-2.5 times last spring price and rations at 400+/ton. Grass could still be the cheapest feed

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Things that go up generally never come down. If prices do hover around the €1k a ton for a while and even if they came back to €750 farmers would probably bite then as they’d think they were getting a great deal.

Coupled with the rise in fertiliser and feedstuff beef would need to be over €5 kg to sustain that. The good margins from this year’s prices will soon be gone.

Just to clarify, are you saying you don't see any materialising or you don't see cheaper stuff coming in the spring

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Grass won't be too cheap at forecasted fert prices

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Unless co-ops/merchants pay for loads of fertiliser now at current prices to importers for delivery next spring their won't be any great quantity of fertiliser to be got, logistics even where its sourced but can't be gotten into the country due to shipping shortages is another huge factor.....

The haste at which glanbia are trying to get their deal done for the co-op buyout I reckon is because of the **** hitting the fan next spring re fertilizer availability on their part

• Advertisement

There definitely was abit of long fingerings and wait and see going on at the moment but the local coop has started buy small amount s at more or less current prices unfortunately it s looks like farmers are going to have to pay on order rather than purchase and carry the risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Have heard of one big player in market yesterday with a big quantity of fertiliser sourced but getting it into country is going to be an issue ….also urea not going to be too plentiful

Grassland agro head man said they have 70% of their fertiliser sourced that they sold last year, but only have shipping secured for 25% of it, I take it, its a big no no trying to get Irish hauliers to do backloads out of Europe with fertiliser due to fire risk when on transit ships

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Heard the journal podcast from a few days ago. The reporter mentioned the eu possibly stepping in as it could end up being a food security issue.

Another thing is that we got paid a good bit of money over the last two years for beam and a beef finisher payment. Maybe the government will step in and give a few pound to help pay for fertilizer. A couple of thousand would make up the price increase for most beef farmers and sure the milk cheque will keep the dairy lads in fertilizer 😜.

I d have thought most fert is bulked shipped and bagged or shipped in bags,didn't think you d have much on the back of a lorry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

We'll go over ourselves and get it while the cows are dried off.

I did not day it would be cheap, but I said it could still be the cheapest feed. Feedlots will have serious issues. If grain growers reduce fertlizer amounts of change crops which I expect they will you will see a serious rise in straights. Feedlots buy by the truckload.

We have ready seem harvest issues over the last couple of years. Rations have slowly climbed, they will surge over the next 12 months.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Globally stored grain is very high, as high as seen in many years.

The big difference now is that China has gone from a small hoarder 20 years to the largest and the rest of the world is at 20 year lows.

Nitrogen Fertilizer will be got. It'll be bloody dear though. It may well be a bit limited in purchase. Lads instead of having a load sit in their yard might have to get what they need for a month, shake and get more dropped out again.

This was a major issue for the EU months ago, it's been ignored, along with the gas crisis Which is part of it.

Maybe they'll get around to it for next winter.

There is good reason to think that the Summer will see prices dropping for inputs and that will feed in to fertilizer.

As bad as it is here, the global milk giants of Pakistan and India are buying Urea at a 1000 euro a tonne, the State is paying for iIt but expect to be short.

Beef giants like Brazil are being deeply affected too.

Bad here but worse elsewhere.

Local merchant came good here, have enough fertilizer now in stock till after second-cut, theirs a bit of stock to be bought at the minute if lads ring around

Was talking to my reps for meal and asked him about how much fertilisers are today.can at 750€ and urea @ 930€.lucky I bought back in September on the advice of a friend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Passed a few loads heading to west Cork today. Also Centre park road in Cork looks well stocked.

In a normal year, but if dedicated fertilizer ships can't be secured to shift fertilizer all options will have to be looked at....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

People should pull the trigger, are you in Bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I’m in the process of trying to secure some N.

Lithuanian 34.4%N is €742 today for end of February delivery. Payment up front.

Im only going to buy 50% of my allowance and do without. That’ll be 23 units of N per acre for 2022 but still a much greater spend than last year…I paid €176.5 for 33.3%N last year. Glad that we’ve been weaning ourselves off artificial N for the last decade but this is by far our greatest challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭20silkcut

That is shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Will lads buy at that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Urea could be bough for 780 about 6 weeks ago ….from what I’m hearing locally fertiliser (certain amount )will be got but payement terms are going to be as good as upfront …merchants don’t want to get stung nor be treated like an interest free bank …I’d be expecting prices to harden further as fertiliser bought by merchants etc over next while most likely for use from March on

Dairy men will have no choice, beef men can just slash numbers, tillage lads with winter crops in the ground will have to buy something but mighten go with normal rates, take p/k holidays....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Seems the trade are expecting dairy usage to remain about the same, but tillage to drop around 20-30%.

Advertisement