Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

"Sure just stay at home and watch netflix and let the rest of us get on with our lives, its not that hard, just hide away."

You forgot to ask him do not vote any election too...

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

I know what you mean but the TDs I may favour will be getting it in the neck too for their silence.

could end up voting for the monster looney independent at this rate.

bar a few independents and Aontu the challenge to the government has been shockingly poor from all parties. Labour popped up briefly and faded again.

SF are the worst, they are sitting back watching this whole mess , waiting for the government to fail without any input or alternatives being proposed. Next election we'll see lies and spin from them on their performance during covid - it's non existent which is worse (IMO) than the government fcuk up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

571 people with covid-19 recorded in our hospitals at 8am this morning, down 27 on yesterday, which was down 13 from the day before and down about 20 the day before that

That man looks like a fool before he talks but there are positive signs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

There wasn't much there to "devour" in the first place though, it's still very low levels compared to any of their peaks, or in general

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Yes, seriously. You think this will go on forever? Restrictions will ease and then disappear eventually. They might get stricter first though.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

Who needs to isolate for 10 days ? is quarantine coming back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Leo barely mentioned hospital numbers, talked about numbers plateauing whilst in the same breath said it was too early to know, meanwhile hours later another near 5k cases.

Paschal just rambled on and basically said nothing, always amazed me, the ability of Paschal to do a 30 minute interview and say pretty much nothing, I've already forgotten what he said

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

i wished I shared your optimism . we aren't seeing restrictions ease though...despite a fully vaxx'd population - our betters are proposing masking kids under 12. That is worst (and most nonsensical one yet) imo. Look I know it's not approved yet.

in the long term we are all dead - as your man JM Keynes once said - so in the short or medium term what are the options?

The vaccine isn't as great as it was initially claimed to be so unless there is a medical breakthrough maybe that new pill that was announced or the government change strategy - we will lurch into rolling lockdowns every time a wave happens or the HSE needs to cover for it's lack of facilities or the media hypes up another variant.

For how long? Who knows but certainly we never knew we'd be here 2 years later ( i know 2 years in march) .

I don't see this or vaccine passports ending soon. . sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Blut2

"one of the really weird things of this whole thing , is that NPHET have a public platform at all. They aren't public representatives but sadly appear to weld unholy amounts of power ."

This has been one of the biggest problems of Ireland's whole covid response. NPHET are meant to be advising the government. In private briefings.

The first time a member of NPHET decided to brief the press that they disagreed with government policy, or decided to brief the press on what policies they personally felt were needed, they should have been fired. Instead we've reached a situation where our Taoiseach and government are deathly afraid of what NPHET will say to the press, and are completely under their thumb. Which is completely backwards.

Imagine if government advisors in other areas constantly gave press briefings that contradicted government policy? Or started going public announcing new policy they were asking for, in order to pressure the government.. they wouldn't last a day. Because its impossible to govern a country that way, it hands over all power to the advisor instead of the elected representative.

If you test positive you have to self-isolate for 10 days while you recover and be symptom free for 48 hours

• Advertisement

Daily case numbers are fairly irrelivant as the link between them and hospital numbers is too hard to calculate, if they go down then great but if they don't then don't get worried

Because of vaccination, hospital and ICU numbers are the ones to watch. Hospital numbers are showing early signs of promise while ICU was 126 yesterday, down 6 on the day before, today's don't get released until 11:30 but they probably won't start dropping until hospitals have dropped consistently for about a week or 2

Bear in mind the weekend effect as well means people don't get discharged until Monday or Tuesday so weekend hospital numbers can be misleading

Unvaccinated pregnant women are at greatly elevated risk from covid pneumonitis compared to vaccinated pregnant women. There were concerns about safety in pregnancy which reduced uptake. These have been looked into so should give pregnant women a bit more reassurance.

I hear you , just completely bamboozled at this stage,

Just listened to Claire Byrne, interview with HSE head of vacinne roll out, unless I heard incorrectly the Pfizer Vacinne to be used for children is actually slightly different and obviously smaller does, this is surely going to raise more questions for parents.

Did I hear this correctly, it literally just slipped out during the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

considering pregnant women can't take a host of over the counter painkillers and other stuff - anybody who is critical of a pregnant woman for not taking this new vaccine needs their head examined.

no matter what they say - and the media and TDs say a lot - but the HSE themselves aren't stating that the vaccines are safe as a fact.

HSE website

Evidence shows COVID-19 vaccines are safe for you and your baby and protect you from getting very unwell. But COVID-19 vaccines are new. We are still learning about them.

It's a nice get out of jail card.

would you bet your kids future and development on that? I wouldn't .

The truth is none of the kids whose mothers were vaccinated in the womb have reached 1 year old yet. Nobody knows what the impact is on their milestone and won't for years to come. that's the nature of this stuff

no matter who says otherwise.

That isn't to say the vaccine aren't safe - it's to say we dont know and I wouldn't bet my kids future on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I'm with you on that one Pen. The biggest gripe I have about any reintroduction of restrictions is that it takes those in government way too long to row back on them.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

1/3 dose compared to the adult one (10 vs 30 microgram) it also uses a different buffer to increase stability to make it easier to store.

I understand that but it's now being said it's a slightly different Pfizer Vacinne, why exactly 🤔

Kingston Mills, normally quite subdued, coherent and sensible is Alarmed by this new variant, shocked were his words, A return to mandatory Quarantine now required.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,950 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Government appears to be quite happy to do what NPHET advise or demand. Saves them having to suffer the fallout from tough decisions. It will continue I fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Same vaccine, just a different buffer used.

Same buffer that's been used in other vaccines for years. Just incase you think it's a new thing.

RTE like to cause confusion alright... The Pfizer vaccine is the exact same chemical makeup as what an adult would get but it's 1/3rd of the dose so instead of 6 doses per vial it's 18 doses per vial

The "buffering agent" spoken about previously was a revision to the formula made months ago before full EMA/FDA approval and the name change to comirnaty

Thank you, the way it came out in the interview appeared to suggest a different Vacinne, Claire jumped on it etc , hence my own confusion

they probably won't start dropping until hospitals have dropped consistently for about a week or 2

118 in our ICUs this morning with COVID, down 8 on yesterday

It's a bit early so don't be worried if these numbers increase over the weekend, watch the general hospital numbers over the next 3 days. If we are at about 550 we are doing well

Unless she was speaking with somebody from NIAC, the EMA, BioNtech or Pfizer I would take everything said with a pinch of salt

But even if it was a different formula, it's still approved by the EMA and various other regulators around the world so there's nothing to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭watchingfromafar

How anyone thinks Sinn Fein are a good choice always shocks me, but its usually followed by "well its their turn so lets see how they get on" as if running the country is a pass the parcel game where everyone gets a go.

Would love for Tobin to get in, but sadly their abortion stance and religiousness is a turn off to the modern woke liberals in this country.

We need a proper conservative centre right party to take us away from the looneys currently in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Quags

Claire Byrne the media darling who is constantly screaming for new restrictions whenever cases rise, told to wait and see regarding the new "variant" but god no, lets shut down everything. Guarantee if she was told they were cutting back on her radio/tv time due to lack of funds with nobody caring anymore she would change the tune quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Interesting that you are anti-abortion and anti-lockdowns. Personal choice, indeed.

• Advertisement

As long as you're 5 months from your last dose

Means those aged in their 40s, who mostly had their second jab sorted in July, will be getting them in December. Everybody over 16, who were eligible for their second jab in September will be eligible for a booster in February/March

Advertisement