Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Bot1

I just turn off all the radiators in rooms I'm not in.

If you have to keep the heating on the whole time you're WFH, then you must have an extremely poorly insulated house.

I find that for much of the year I need a window open as the PC & screens provide more than enough heat to keep the room warm, even right now it's 22C in here no room heating at all, just loads of insulation.

You don't need to heat the whole house, just the room you're working from, the other side of this is that in the evenings less energy is needed to bring the temperatures up as they didn't drop much due to the house being occupied (unless it's badly insulated).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,900 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's sometimes more than just 6 square meters.

A recent (post covid) WFH policy in a friend's company includes that there are no visitors to the house during the working day, unless you are working in a separate lockable room which is kept secure at all times.

His WFH space is good - but it's in an upstairs landing which isn't lockable. So if he WFH, his wife and kids cannot have friends around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

So if your employer was paying for a space in your home, you'd be fine with someone else sitting in your space the hours you are not working?

Maybe a colleague who can't work from home on different hours to you?

When you try sell your house, you're OK with the employer blocking the sale because they have a stake in the house too?

You'll need to split the portfolio of your house to transfer the part of the property the employer is leasing from you. That would be OK for you as well?

For a civil servant, you don't seem to have a good grasp on the consequences of your ideas... Well maybe it does explain your perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

In most cases it would be "either/or choice". The least hassle for the employer the most likely they will agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

You do realise the majority on this thread and indeed in the real world, want to WFH, yes?

We're happy to provide this "space" you speak of. So I'm not really sure what your point is?

If my employer decides to reduce their commercial rental footprint because I'm wfh now, that's fine with me. If they want to pass on some of those savings to me, happy days. If they don't, I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Heating a home or homes is still way more energy efficient than an office that has all other kinds of energy needed, along with maintenance etc.

Work from home saves time, money and effort. Tell me exactly how that is a bad thing.

Why on earth would I lie?

What we're living through right now is still public-health-emergency WFH, when almost anything goes.

But companies are now planning for post health-emergency WFH conditions. They are going to specify your broadband type, how frequently they get to inspect the premises, what facilities you need to provide. Some may let you work at the kitchen table. Many won't. Etc.

The company whose policy I saw have got a big headcount in the UK, where a number are already long-term WFH. Their Irish subsidiary policy is based on what they've experienced, and includes either a separate lockable workspace (locked when not working) or no working-hours visitor., They also say that WFH must be work from where you live, or another named place agreed with your manager - and shared offices / coworking spaces etc won't be approved because they aren't secure enough.

Whether you believe this or think I'm lying is 100% irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, what flies now during pandemic won't be the case going forward. I know where I work are very likely to mandate minimum internet speeds, and theres a legitimate question around security as due to nature of the information we have, people are not meant to have mobile phones around their work items. In the office you can police that but you can't with home working really so could be in violation of a bunch of audit standards.

I'd consider it reasonable as well that WFH is considered a perk you have to earn, so it wouldn't really be offered to new joiners or if your performance slips.

• Advertisement

WFH is not new. Been doing it for MNCs in the UK and Ireland for almost a decade. This is utter hyperbole. But is the norm for your posts

I for one dont believe any of this. It may be true, but as has been pointed out in this thread once already, you seem to be a magnet for sh!tty workplaces.

I work from home 100%. Post Covid, if/when that happens, I'll still be working from home.I do sometimes very sensitive work, I have none of the requirements you refer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I didn't say anything about stopping WFH or stopping people from WFH. I just said that employees would be foolish to allow their employer to grab space in the employee's home free of charge for ever, just because they've managed to get out of a crappy commute. There is a fairness issue here, as to who pays for office space for employees.

Indeed, the employer will most likely agree to the least hassle and particularly the least cost option. If employees and unions sit back and allow their employer to grab space in the employee's home free of charge for ever, just because they've managed to get out of a crappy commute, they are missing an opportunity for sharing in the savings arising from employee's providing space to their employer.

I'd love to see your source for that claim about heating homes vs heating offices. But regardless, I didn't say WFH is a bad thing. I didn't say people should stop WFH. I just said that If employees and unions sit back and allow their employer to grab space in the employee's home free of charge for ever, just because they've managed to get out of a crappy commute, they are missing an opportunity for sharing in the savings arising from employee's providing space to their employer.

The house probably is poorly insulated, standard 1990s build. I don't keep the heating on the whole time, but I was certainly keeping it going a fair bit of time last week, to keep the frostbite away from the fingers. Nice to see that some people have the luxury of using nice big screens, and aren't hunched over the laptop screen though. Maybe if employer was paying for my workspace, I might be able to afford some screens, or to insulate the house properly even?

And turn them all back on every evening, when the family come home? A slight PITA, in fairness.

If only there was some straightforward way to manage all these concerns, such as a lease agreement, or a legislative scheme like the Rent A Room scheme (which doesn't have any of the nonsense issues you raise about 'blocking the sale' or 'splitting the portfolio'?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,192 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If the government were really serious about WFH and about climate change they would introduce some sort of grant aid to help people renovate parts of their houses or build out buildings to be used as office space.

I'm looking forward to the rest of my career (15 odd years) working from home.

But I'd like also to have a dedicated office space to do that (what I have now is not the kitchen table or the landing but it's not a 100% dedicated room either), but right now I can't afford to buy and convert a container or get a office shed.

But if there was a grant I might be able to.

It would also then give companies piece of mind that their employees can affordability get themselves office space at home that can meet the companies requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Andrew. Please ... I sincerly hope your performance in work as a civil servant is much better than your online persona portrays ... You've got to use your head and think things through.

You make a good point about Rent-A-Room. I'm sure you also know renters bring guests to your home. The employer would be entitled to put a colleague in your home as a guest working from your home.

That would invade the privacy of all WFH employees homes. Do us a favour and don't mention you daft notions to any of your superiors.

don't mention you daft notions to any of your superiors.

He said he did already, they shot him down

Fascinating to see how you've decided what the conditions of the lease allow and disallow before it has even been written. Here's an idea - the conditions of a WFH lease just might be different from the Rent-a-Room scheme, in relation to allowance of visitors (or disallowance of visitors).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

"Getting out of a crappy commute" for many people represents enough of a major increase in quality of life to render trivial the question of who pays for the space. Also, pushing for it could well end up killing the goose that lays the WFH egg. Winning the battle at the cost of losing the war generally isn't a good idea.

Absolutely. Friday was a miserable day weather wise. Were it not for covid, I would have had to get up at 7, put on a suit, and go and stand at a freezing cold Luas stop, get on a crowded tram, stand for an hour. Instead I lit the fire and had a warm cup of tea wearing a t-shirt and shorts. For me, WFH is a major game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

I hear ya, in exactly the same boat. A 1 hour + plus commute, replaced with breakfast with my kids and starting work actually a half hour earlier and significantly more work done.

it's win - win.

• Advertisement

This is probably the most honest response that I've gotten. The suggestion of pushing things a little brings about this fear that employers will clamp down. I'm not sure that this is well founded.

Most employers aren't spiteful. Unless you're working in the Web Summit or some other small owner operated business, I can't see an employer pulling back on WFH simply because of a negotiation position. WFH has the potential to make a huge difference to operating costs for office-based businesses. There's a lot on the table here, and you'd want to be a fairly dumb employer to walk away from these potential cost savings just because of a request to share out the bounty a bit. In the vast majority of cases, the worst thing that can happen is that they'll say no. At very least, this sets down a marker for future negotiations.

I have a serious concern that without some level of sharing of savings, it will become the default or expected position - that ALL employees will be expected to provide WFH space and facilities. This will clearly discriminate against younger employees, living in a box room at home or a box room in shared accommodation. It will make things harder for the worst off employees, those who don't have decent space, and decent broadband. It's a shame to see how many employees are happy to throw their colleagues under a bus just to avoid any minimal possibility of an open discussion about WFH.

It won't discriminate because not everyone can work from home with the same efficiency. Younger workers, who need training and supervision won't have such a chance anyway till they get experience. And with experience they will get out of a box room.

I wonder, if you even know how much an employer will save per one employee? Just give me a quote.

Unless they get divorced or seperated, and end up back in the box room. Unless they lose their fortune in bitcoin and end up back in the box room. Unless their gambling problem comes up again and they end up back in the box room. Lots of experienced people are in box rooms, or in noisy houses with no spare rooms, or many other situations. If you're going to treat younger workers differently, that ABSOLUTELY IS discrimination based on age, which is illegal.

How much will employers safe? How long is a piece of string. Office costs vary widely, depending on location, spec, fit out and more. It IS generally a very substantial part of costs for office-based businesses, probably their biggest single cost after salary.

So you think for example that junior workers should earn the same as senior workers because otherwise it is a discrimination?

I have a serious concern that without some level of sharing of savings, it will become the default or expected position - that ALL employees will be expected to provide WFH space and facilities. This will clearly discriminate against younger employees, living in a box room at home or a box room in shared accommodation. It will make things harder for the worst off employees, those who don't have decent space, and decent broadband. It's a shame to see how many employees are happy to throw their colleagues under a bus just to avoid any minimal possibility of an open discussion about WFH.

I'm lucky, Im now in a 100% WFH position, so I can work anywhere. And thats the point you are missing. When i was 20 I moved to Dublin, earning 18k a year and into a box room in Swords. My rent was about 200 a month. If I was WFH at 20 on 18k, I could have rented half a house in the sticks for the same money.

When I started WFH in March 2020(in a different job), we were asked to provide a picture of our workstation. Mine was a picture of a desk I already had, my monitor, which I already had, one of my PC's I already had, and my chair which - you guessed it, I already had.

My first job was doing tech support on the phone. I loved the social aspect to it, and even met my ex-fiance at the job, but the work itself, I could have easily done in a WFH scenario, Your dystopian nightmare of employees having to provide stuff for their employer to work for the employer has existed for years.

When i was 16 I got a summer job in Dunnes Stores and had to buy trousers, some shirts and a hideous green bow tie to work for them. A desk and chair might seem exorbitant to you, but at sixteen the shirts, trousers and tie put a much bigger dent in my finances than a new desk, monitor and chair would right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

WFH suits those in the middle of their careers who own homes and/or have families very well, and since that is the main boards demographic I can understand why very few here are complaining.

WFH does not suit young people, renters and inexperienced employees. I agree with Andrew that giving half your bedroom to your employee without a fight is excessive, and that is exactly what every under 30 in a houseshare in a major city is now doing. Also if all the experienced people are WFH, who is teaching the new kids? All the tacit skills and nuance that you pick up by watching experts does not translate well to video calls, there is a lot more to the working world than just technical knowledge.

Young people are still in this transitory mindset (no office/travel/craic) whereas older people have happily accepted it as the status quo. Once this mindset fades and people realize they are still unable to buy a property but now also have to give up their rented accommodation to their employer effectively for life then things will start to change.

You’d be (at least partially) right if we were talking 100% WFH. But that is not what is on the table in the overwhelming majority of companies. And in a hybrid / flexible working scenario those with no good home set-up can go in more. Those that want to maximise home work - the mid career demographic that you describe - might go in less (just be in a couple days a week). I’m my experience even the youngest, greenest kid, who works off the side of the kitchen table or his/her bed, still wants to do that one day a week (generally a Friday or a Monday).

it’s about flexibility. The WFH full time argument, and yours and AJRenko’s argument against it, is just a strawman. It’ll be the small minority of companies that will go that way. Most will just have flexibility

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

you're presenting a lot of opinions here as facts. i know of many people in their 20s who are beyond delighted to get out of the Dublin rental trap and move back down the country - they really want to continue to wfh full time and may be even buy a house in their 20s, something that wasn't even a possibility for me when i was renting in Ranelagh, paying off the landlord's mortgage with no other option.

is that true for all people in their 20s? no, some want to rent in dublin and that's cool too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

Advertisement