Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Every man and his dog can also see that interest rates have fallen over the last couple of decades also. Affordability is not just about the price, it’s about the mortgage repayments. I don’t think mortgage repayments on current prices is vastly different than the past when interest rates were substantially higher, when compared with wages at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Individuals who bought homes the last 10 years are well insulated from a crash due to LTV and LTI limits. Renters would get cheaper rent so of course are well insulated from a crash. So I do think the correction in housing would in all likelihood benefit the average Joe while the risk has been outsourced to larger players.

I mean, look at commercial property which is arguably the canary in the coal mine. I use Grafton St as the general example; 20-30% valuation write downs in the last 18 months and no impact to the average Joe. It probably only affected those with risky pensions who are fully aware of the risky nature of property investments. Another reason I think a correction would not be a big deal to the vast majority of people; it was reported yesterday that the central bank is proposing to cap the leverage which property funds can utilise when investing in Irish commercial property at 50%, as they are slightly concerned about a risk posed to the wider market in the event of a fire sale - I think there is little the man on the street would be concerned about if there was a fire sale of commercial property assets!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

I would agree that people who purchased between 2010 and 2016 or so are definitely insulated. I don't agree in terms of the rental element simply because there is not enough supply. Rental prices won't drop by any significant amount because of there are multiple people looking to rent and those with most resources will automatically get to rent.

The reduction in commercial rent in Grafton St (or any other) over the last 18 months is as a result of Covid. Firms who own these properties are paying tax on these rents, these taxes are funding our social welfare supports (amongst other tax revenues). We will only know if the average "joe" will be impacted when the economy actually opens up. We are not in normal times.

Part of any economies success (and by extension the people in it) is impacted on confidence in economic outlook. if firms don't have confidence they are less likely to invest in expanding their business, this leads to reduced demand for labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

This thread is like the naval gazing at the local student union.

On the rental element; this is where our property bubble has been inflated - the amount of totally unaffordable new properties on Daft the last few years just sitting vacant is not something which can be classed as sustainable. These investors are holding 1 bed/2bed apartments at €2k/€2.5+ p/m empty for months and even years (Kennedy Wilson). There is a dubious acceptance that this is somehow tolerable as these are deep pocket investors and "things will recover once covid subsides" but this thinking that there is a "recovery" from covid seems to look back to pre-covid rather than forward to post-covid. What this translates to, for me, is that these newly renovated/developed apartments blocks sitting empty are effectively the empty bags or the road runners having run off the cliff, together with commercial properties. Your eyes don't lie and it is like seeing into the future observing all the empty buildings. The pandemic is an accelerator of change but for definite to think of "going back" to pre-pandemic activity in certain sectors, like commercial property or high end rentals, is to be trying to catch a falling knife.

I see in the news today, once again, covid is blamed for stock market anxieties and underperformance. This is like when Brexit was blamed for the housing market slowdown in 2019 in Ireland. There is a blissful ignorance to any argument which seeks to point out that actually maybe things aren't all rosy purely because they may just be overvalued. We could be walking eyes wide open into a significant correction and this view is bolstered by what I am reading in property market industry pieces and in general stock market commentaries; which seems to be not just downplaying but totally ignoring any sort of risk related to overvaluation. There is practically an expectation that things go up a little or a lot YoY, but no entertaining the possibility of things may be going down consistently for a few years. I don't mean to by hyperbolic but the whole investing world has gone mad and seems to me to be blinded by greed and selfishness - Wanderer78 describes the FIRE sectors as eating themselves at this point; for sure it does have a feeling given property and markets have uncoupled from the real economy where they should have at least some correlation - but they don't.

In Germany we have a new coalition with the CDU taking a backseat (likely a long-term backseat as their support in younger generations is waning every year and shows no sign of recovering) and this new coalition is planning big reforms which tie in with younger people's (i.e. the majority) wishes; legalising cannibas, more aggressive climate goals and reforming the housing market by targeting 400,000 new builds per year (100,000 of which will be social housing) as well as reducing the rental increase cap from 15% over 3 years to 11% over 3 years. They are targeting less fluctuations in housing and living costs YoY for people. This marks a huge change from pro-lobbyist and pro-business, traditional CDU. We will see similarly aggressive goals from our SF & Lefty Friends coalition in a few years - which, surprising to many, will actually have popular support among the majority of people. The change has already been happening but property indicators of course typically lag politics and the general economy so we have not seen the change yet but the indicators are there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

If there was a property crash that didn't result in a recession it would be due to a fire sale of institutional investors.

The properties that these institutional investors would sell would have be rented so if these properties did come to the market and result in lower prices it would mean that Demand for rental properties would increase as a result as the people renting these would need to find new rental accommodation and put additional pressure on rents so the chances of cheaper rent would be practically zero.

The alternative would be that the properties would be sold to other institutional investors with properties still leased to tenants, if this was to happen there would be no additional housing stock available to the average joe soap so it would be unlikely that property prices would crash.

At the end of the day unless there is a reduction in demand or an increase in supply we will not see property prices fall. At the moment the demand side is very strong due to the differential between rent's and mortgage repayments and there is little signs of this changing in the future without:

• something like a recession causing a reduction in disposable income
    • Mass emigration or a drop in inward migration

On the supply side it will take time for property to come to the market because of the planning objections etc.

As per the central bank financial stability review which was published yesterday the expectation is that we will see prices rises in Irish property until the necessary supply starts coming on stream.

If there was no demand for the new build apartments (incl. student accommodation and short-term accommodation like hotels) to rent in the last 3 years, there will never be demand for them without the rents dropping significantly. I think it is a scam of some sort that they are being held empty despite being very expensive to build and there seems to be something sustaining the investors which enables them to make zero return for a long time on these investments. Maybe it is the "book value" accounting voodoo that means they can claim to hold an asset worth a certain amount based on projected full occupancy at high rents, which causes them to persist with brand new ghost buildings? Rent collection above 90% and occupancy at seemingly high levels is what is published in the investor reports but what does not seem so clear is whether the number of apartments being marked as "rentable" is being kept artificially lower than the number of apartments that could in fact be rented. As I said, your eyes don't lie and a walk around these developments in the evenings shows this. My point is that the "shock" has happened but the typical indicators used to assess the property market are lagging, as is normal as property is illiquid and slow moving to transact in.

We have had the drop in inward migration and the increase in cost of living is already eating into disposable income and is projected to get worse (the ECB once again fumbling around its inflation forecast and needing to revise it again as it is not fully grasping the situation - I mean, it shouldn't need to constantly change its short-term projections if it had a grasp on the situation https://www.ft.com/content/d789f624-5097-4809-a0e0-2541056b7e63 ).

The Central Bank's projections for price rises to keep occurring for home buyers seems likely for the next few months at least; I mean, supply is being restricted as best as possible with covid uncertainties and delays in breaking ground on projects combined with the low interest rate/hyper QE environment which is still going hell for leather, so of course it's easy to see the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Demand is surely going to increase if this fcuking virus ever goes away. So if prices are high now, I cant wait to see them then.

I think property prices rises will continue for a few years rather than months because there will be no change in rates till at least 2023 (as per speeches from ECB) and it will take time for meaningful supply to come online.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Any predictions for what’s going to happen with construction costs in the short to medium term?

• Advertisement

Here is the extract from the central bank report on construction costs that was published yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

"If there was no demand for the new build apartments (incl. student accommodation and short-term accommodation like hotels) to rent in the last 3 years, there will never be demand for them without the rents dropping significantly"

There were demands prior Covid, and there will likely be demands in the future. There was reduced demands in City Center due to Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

The private debt although it's serious worry around the World, and it feels like adds to overheating, it's probably not the highest if we compare with GDP terms.

I strongly disagree that there was and is demand for 1 bedroom apartments over €2k per month and 2 beds at €2.5k per month etc. Even high paid workers are not queuing up to come to Dublin and pay those rents. But that isn't even significantly more than the average rents in Dublin for 1 and 2 bed places! Personally speaking, we have a net household income of €7k p/m and I would probably have us in a higher earner bracket for renters but nothing would get us to pay €2.5k p/m on a 2 bed apartment unless our salaries went up at least another 10% (although to be fair this isn't unlikely next year). But presumably the likes of myself are the target market for these very expensive, empty new builds. My peers would be in a similar sentiment to us.

With student accommodation, there is plenty of newly built accommodation for €800+ per month for a room which is just unaffordable for students no matter what way you cut it. And it can't all be geared to international students.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Economic corrections do not improve things for property buyers, except for investors and cash buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

What happens is that people who want and can afford to live in those 2.5k apartments will and the ones who cant or dont will move further out from the city where the same apartment is available at a price they are willing to pay.

For example 1 bed apartment in city center for €2k pm or 1 bed apartment in Swords for €1.5k pm or 1 bed Balbriggan for €1250 would be the type of choices. People will just have to go for what suits their budget.

Markets falling as snow look on news.If its will continue next week Recession will start in January 2022 at full.Thats it the fall of property prices will start soon.Who was seating on bag of cash and waiting for the crash finally will afford property on best price ever.Its started today.

It's not covid spooking markets, that would be too convenient a scapegoat and barely any information about a new variant was released the last day or so to have triggered this dramatic a movement. The trigger happy sellers are typical of bubble activity when people are on edge. Nonetheless, it's the time for taking profits for sure.

Of course it’s not covid spooking the market… It must be because people don’t want to go on holidays that all the airlines/cruises and travel related companies are the biggest losers today with share prices falling 1O+%….absolutely nothing to do with covid and new travel restrictions!!!

Yes, all those trips people were planning to make to and from the US and Europe to southern Africa have caused airline stocks to plummet! QE and low interest rates is the problem looking for a solution and the coordinated panic is a justification to keep the music playing a bit longer. It's almost too perfect - another South African variant no less. Like Brexit being blamed before for the Irish property market slowdown, we have a new red herring. It is just unbelievable that a few flight cancellations to southern African countries would cause significant drops in oil and stocks!

• Advertisement

You forgot short term properties at bookings.They will be empty when them owners will have continue pay mortgages :)

If sell off on markets will continue all next week that will be the end because shares prices are historically high !

There is millions people took loans of cheap money to buy shares and now they will have find money to pay loans back! And banks will have find ways to cover the loses .

Its only started today but all week before that investors been quite nervous already.So keep watching but things which happened today look terrible already.

The sell off is 2-3% and is not even in correction territory. The Dow has seen 7 off these sell off's in the last year.

it is highly probable that that this has already spread to multiple countries and will result in further restrictions and more lockdowns worldwide and that is why there has been a sell off in travel related stocks. It’s has potential to be much bigger than just flights to southern African.

On top of that US and other countries have been releasing large portions of their oil reserves which has resulted in declines in oil prices for the past 3 days.

Will be interesting to see how the Asian Markets react on Sunday night as more info on the variant and infected countries should surface before then.

Are short term bookings not part of Travel?

The VIX is only at 28% and not up in the 60% like when Covid first hit... It has't even hit the levels of volatility that it saw when the other covid Variant's news hit.

The next week stock markets activity will show us property prices in Ireland in 2022

Please do not forget that hedge /investment/cockoo funds buying and investing in property in Ireland as in shares

And when shares holders and investors starting losing money on stock markets they will start pump money out of those funds

What mean sell off of property in Ireland and property prices collapse !

The stock market is up 15% from a year ago.... share prices falling 2-3% is not going to lead to Investors loosing money so badly that they will need to have a fire sale on Irish property.

Even if the stock market dropped 15% by the end of next week the lower yield on government bonds as investors seek safety in liquid assets will make the yield on property look more attractive.

The structure of jobs and investment in Ireland is low taxation

Ireland has no oil and gas but has plenty green land which she trying to sell creating jobs and Johny Ronans,O Flynns and others.

You need look from that point.

As I said before we have a look to next week stock markets results and where shares holders will invest

To green grass in Ireland or Bitcoin

As I said before the property were cockoo funds invested in Ireland is ordinary shares .They put money in house when house price goes up they making money from it.

There is no supply and demand issues on market :) House in Ireland is a share on stock market and no more than that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

So it's like last March 12 months Chicken Licken is running around screaming the sky is going to fall in. It looking for s few turkeys to run around with it screaming it as well.

Yes funds suffer when stock markets fall. But funds seldom leverage into shares so o e of two things happen.

They sell off share and look for safer places for there money gold, government bonds or cash deposits. Most movement is caused by some investors ( individuals who hold pensions) switching from higher risk profile funds to lower risk funds.

Most pension fund investors in Irish property are chasing yield not capital appreciation. The investment is from lower risk funds not those chasing higher returns.

The REIT's that have invested in Irish funds will have taken a long-term investment. The return on investment is what they are looking at. So unless we get mass migration out of Ireland they are not going to panic about a Chicken Licken flapping about. As well a section of there investment is covered by longterm lease's to LA and blue chip corporate companies. You could see money making be in more than a risk of it moving out

Pension companies do not invest in property short term and do not leverage when they do.

Slava Ukrainii

It happened so quickly after the covid variant news, that it just couldn't be linked - there is zero information about how transmissible or deadly this variant is, by all accounts it needs to be assessed first. And no where has announced new restrictions from it, just a few cancelled flights from Africa. More likely the little sell off was to do with the US debt ceiling pantomime with the upcoming deadline to extend falling in the next week or even just a lot of people selling to get cash to spend on Black Friday!

The worst thing that could happen would be a panicked additional QE injection and a rolling back of talk to raise interest rates. There is a slight chance to make the fallout a bit better when the asset correction occurs.

The markets move quickly and the drop has been felt most in the Travel Sector which has nothing to do with the US debt celling or Black Friday. To be honest I had to read your post twice just to make sure you were not being sarcastic.

Have you read any of the news in relation to the new variant it is meant to be more transmissible than the Delta variant and has already spread around the world with cases in the UK, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands. I agree that it is to early to know the full effect of it but the WHO and all the scientists are worried about it which is enough to get the travel market spooked and fears of more global lockdowns. If it does result in this then you are looking at a global slow down which will reduce the chances of any rate rises and increase the likelihood of more QE.

Yields on the 10 year Tbills dropped by 10bps yesterday and will drop further if there is more bad news in relation to variant. The economic data coming out of the states next week was expected to be strong but the market won't care about that if the no of cases of the new variant start showing up all around the world or does not respond to the vaccines.

You may not like QE but it has saved millions of jobs and a very sever global recession that would hurt everyone's pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

A nice little 20% crash to the housing market would do me nicely.

Advertisement