Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinn director Kevin Lunney assaulted by Bernard McGovern

Options
  • 23-03-2021 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Separate to the other thread here which deals with a separate case of abduction and torture of Kevin Lunney https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058016143&page=33

Amateur boxer Bernard McGovern assaulted Quinn director Kevin Lunney in a cafe at an Applegreen in Cavan. He also threw a cup of boiling water in the face of Lunneys colleague Dara O'Reilly who luckily was wearing glasses and didnt suffer any permanent damage to his eyesight. For those who havent seen the CCTV of the assault that was screened on RTE it can be found at this link here
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/6730982/cctv-james-bernard-mcgovern-brutally-attacks-kevin-lunney-cavan-filling-station/

McGovern claimed that he was remorseful during the court trial through his barrister
    Karl Monaghan BL, instructed by John M. Quinn solicitors in Dublin, acting for the defence, stated that his client was remorseful for his actions. A “gesture” of €1,000 was offered to Mr Lunney by way of compensation, which the businessman said could be donated to charity if the court so directed.
    Judge John Aylmer described the attacks as being at the "upper end" of the scale of such offending. He also described the attack as "callous" and "premeditated".

Then yesterday another video emerges, this time shot by McGovern himself the night before he is due for sentencing. In it he says in reference to the assault "Maybe I shouldnt have done it" which hardly sounds like someone who is remorseful for doing it. He also says in the video that it will be "just a couple of months in jail" but the following day the judge hit him with a three year and three month sentence.
    Cant embed but the video can be seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVQl_72V1q0&t=39s

Now on top of everything McGoverns local GAA club Kinawley have waded into the matter and they are criticising the sentence handed down
    McGovern’s local club, Kinawley GAA, issued a statement on Facebook expressing the opinion that the sentence handed down to their club member seemed “completely disproportionate”.
    https://www.anglocelt.ie/2021/03/22/jailed-boxer-posts-video-night-before-sentencing/
    In the GAA clubs statement they are also calling on the community to support a convicted criminal. I wonder how long it will be until GAA central council get involved in this, its quite extraordinary for a GAA club to be making statements about a judges sentence for a violent and unprovoked assault and asking the community to support a convicted criminal under the name of the GAA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

_117635931_mcgovern_pa.jpg

a-ventriloquist-dummy-close-up-PX04B3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭dobman88

I saw that statement from the GAA club the other day and genuinely laughed at it. I love the GAA, played it all my life and I'd say its probably 90% of my posts on here but some lads in clubs and "The Committee" as they call themselves seem to think they have an enormous amount of power for some strange reason. Imagine thinking because you're on a committee in some backwater gaa club you know more than a judge presiding over a serious assault case. Nonsense.

The best way I can think of him staying out of prison would be to not violently assault anyone. Think the sentence was quite lenient for what he did tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,273 ✭✭✭✭walshb

For the manner of the attack and its clear planning and forethought and calculations , we are talking about a very dangerous person here...

Out in 2 years he will be.

For a GAA club to come out like this in condemnation of this sentence is sickening

The GAA need to speak up here..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,739 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

walshb wrote: »
    For the manner of the attack and its clear planning and forethought and calculations , we are talking about a very dangerous person here...

Out in 2 years he will be.

For a GAA club to come out like this in condemnation of this sentence is sickening

The GAA need to speak up here..

Sure didnt Crossmaglen GAA stick up for Aaron Brady? Convicted Garda killer.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Sure didnt Crossmaglen GAA stick up for Aaron Brady? Convicted Garda killer.

His dad was the former chairman of the club which is how that connection was made. I don't think the club itself actually came out and questioned the judgement. Or at least I didnt see it if they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭batman75

Watched his video clip on youtube. Doesn't seem to be the brightest light in the harbour. Doesn't seem to understand the serious nature of what he did. Seems to think it's been taken too seriously. To my mind that alone makes him dangerous let alone what he did to Kevin Lunney.
    As for the GAA club passing observations on a sentence. That is completely out of order. Irresponsible thing to do. It will only feed the young lad's misguided belief that what he did wasn't serious. Whoever sanctioned that statement needs punting from the club.
    I tracked down the facebook post on the Kinawley GAA page. Cannot believe there are people (idiots) commending the club for their statement and for standing by the guilty party. He savagely attacked a man. If I were Kevin Lunney I would despair reading both the GAA club statement and the comments underneath.
    Am I right in thinking that Kevin Lunney was attacked twice. Once by McGovern and was abducted another time?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

batman75 wrote: »
    As for the GAA club passing observations on a sentence. That is completely out of order. Irresponsible thing to do. It will only feed the young lad's misguided belief that what he did wasn't serious. Whoever sanctioned that statement needs punting from the club.
    I tracked down the facebook post on the Kinawley GAA page. Cannot believe there are people (idiots) commending the club for their statement and for standing by the guilty party. He savagely attacked a man. If I were Kevin Lunney I would despair reading both the GAA club statement and the comments underneath.
    ?

I would have thought its bringing the GAA into disrepute by issuing statements like that asking the community to support a convicted criminal. The GAA are usually apolitical and dont allow involvement in these things to be associated with their brand or organisation. They slapped Mickey Harte on the wrist a few years back for shooting a video during the abortion referendum on a GAA ground so youd hope Central Council will have something to say about a club backing a convicted criminal.
    Am I right in thinking that Kevin Lunney was attacked twice. Once by McGovern and was abducted another time

Yes, the assault on Lunney by Bernard McGovern happened approx nine months before Lunney was later kidnapped, had his leg broken, fingernails pulled out,had QIH written into his chest with a Stanley knife and then was doused in bleach before being left for dead at the side of a road. In court the judge said Bernard McGovern had no involvement in the kidnap and torture of Kevin Lunney.

However since the judge said what he said in court about there being no connection it was reported by media on the 12th of March that both Bernard and his parents Sean and Teresa were arrested and questioned in relation to the kidnapping and torture of Kevin Lunney. Another family relation of the McGoverns was also arrested.
    Last week three members of the same family were arrested in connection with the abduction and torture of Mr Lunney and were released without charge.
    Sean McGovern was arrested along with his wife Teresa by the PSNI at their home near Kinawley last Thursday morning.

The couple’s son, Bernard was also arrested near his Fermanagh home, while another close relative, aged in his 30s, was detained by gardaí in Co Cavan.

A joint investigation team involving PSNI and Garda detectives was established following the brutal kidnapping of Mr Lunney last year.
    https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2020/03/12/news/new-arrest-in-connection-with-the-abduction-and-torture-of-kevin-lunney-1866292/

So Bernard is currently in prison doing a 3 year 3 month stretch for the initial assault on Kevin Lunney which was said to be because his father Sean lost his job as a truck driver at Quinn Industrial Holdings. And then Bernard and his parents and a close family relative have also been arrested in relation to the later kidnapping and torture of Kevin Lunney.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Eire392

Soft sentencing in Ireland is rampant and these kind of assaults often end up with a suspended sentence. This was a good sentence for the crime but this should be the norm tbh. How anyone can deem it acceptable to go out and assault people with premeditation is beyond me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

dobman88 wrote: »
    His dad was the former chairman of the club which is how that connection was made. I don't think the club itself actually came out and questioned the judgement. Or at least I didnt see it if they did.

the club and the gaa helped to fund a visit to the states for the father while darling Aaron the murder was hiding here.

not the first murders attached to that club

pride of the province that club

Eire392 wrote: »
    Soft sentencing in Ireland is rampant and these kind of assaults often end up with a suspended sentence. This was a good sentence for the crime but this should be the norm tbh. How anyone can deem it acceptable to go out and assault people with premeditation is beyond me.

Yes. Don't sentence any financial fraudsters at all. Prison space should be kept for the violent ones.

• Advertisement

the club and the gaa helped to fund a visit to the states for the father while darling Aaron the murder was hiding here.

not the first murders attached to that club

pride of the province that club

Fair enough. I'll have to take your word for it as I'm not familiar with that at all. Same applies to them as it does to this chap. Lads on some committee thinking they hold some kind of power. Mind boggling stuff.

• Member of the GAA all my life. Will be writing to them to take action against this disgrace of a club for bringing the organisation into disrepute.

Kinawley ****ing clowns.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

shtpEdthePlum do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭whats_my_name

Can't believe I'm saying this but "I seen on Facebook" that Lunney is actually a member of Kinawly GAA club & has been a sponsor for many years whereas the perpetrator of this attack hasn't played for the club or being a member for years! His brother plays and is supposed to be a fine footballer though! I know...Facebook isn't the most reliable of sources but was from someone not too far away from the area who said it so take from it what you will. If that is the case to publicly support a vicious attack against one of your sponsors is beggars belief and you would have to really question the motives by certain members of the committee to release that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

Can't believe I'm saying this but "I seen on Facebook" that Lunney is actually a member of Kinawly GAA club & has been a sponsor for many years whereas the perpetrator of this attack hasn't played for the club or being a member for years! His brother plays and is supposed to be a fine footballer though! I know...Facebook isn't the most reliable of sources but was from someone not too far away from the area who said it so take from it what you will. If that is the case to publicly support a vicious attack against one of your sponsors is beggars belief and you would have to really question the motives by certain members of the committee to release that statement.

When Quinn was out organising his 'sympathy rallies' the GAA clubs all around Fermanagh and neighbouring counties put the call out for people to attend and show support. Not surprised that the perpetrator's club would stand behind him. Fairly disgrace behaviour for an organisation supposed to be non political.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

When Quinn was out organising his 'sympathy rallies' the GAA clubs all around Fermanagh and neighbouring counties put the call out for people to attend and show support. Not surprised that the perpetrator's club would stand behind him. Fairly disgrace behaviour for an organisation supposed to be non political.

You had that utter gobsh1te Mickey Harte front and centre as well as speaking at those rallies.

?width=605

harte-580x435.jpg

Strange to see a GAA club banner at such an event

?width=605

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭batman75

Cheers for the link. He is even dumber than I thought. In fact I would say he is dangerous. For credibility sake Kinawley GAA would be well advised to retract their statement of support and distance themselves from him completely even if it means collateral damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Not surprised. The sheer cowardliness of the attack is the reason, two men sitting down having food, the use of the boiling water to disable one man whilst attacking the other unsuspecting man, what a milksop. What was his father fired for?

There was rumour the family were involved in some of the intimidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah for sure, it was a real cowardly act. I thought boxers were trained in a fair fight but clearly not this lad. He is a total scumbag to be throwing boiling water over that man and scarring him for life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭zimmermania

The sentence may be somewhat inappropriate,2 or 3 years more could give him time to reflect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm sure if he was unfairly dismissed there'd be some sort of labour relations action taken. But I'm guessing there wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

No expense spared on that CCTV in the Cavan service station.

What a brute. Should be serving years and years.

Just looked it up they were arrested for the lunney kidnap but released without charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Three men convicted in Kevin Lunney case jailed for combined 70 years

One of the men, referred to as “YZ” who cannot be named for legal reasons, was sentenced to 30 years in prison.

Alan O’Brien (40) of Shelmalier Road in East Wall in Dublin, was jailed for 25 years at the Special Criminal Court in Dublin.

Darren Redmond (27) from Caledon Road also in East Wall, was sentenced to 18 years, with the final three years suspended.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭Xander10

A brutal crime. Sentences reflect same. Some justice for Kevin Lunney, although I am sure he will bear the mental scars for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

Advertisement