Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Omicron variant

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

The naivety of governments thinking they can keep it out is staggering. Have they learned nothing?

annndddd here we go again...

Almost 2 years and counting......

😏

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I have no doubt in my mind that globalisation is a larger factor than either of above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

The Nu variant is another throw of the dice, if it turns out to be a mild form of Covid it could be a blessing in disguise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

I'm contracting Nu Nu Nu how about you you you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Look any old headcase can spin stuff on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭richie_os

Has anyone considered the possibility that the Nu variant might be a lot less deadly than Delta (all reported cases so far have been either Asymptomatic or mild symptoms, including an unvaccinated case) as well as outcompeting Delta globally?

Because if this happens, it will end the pandemic - probably by Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It could, but then again, if it's spreading to everyone in the world and out competing all other variants, it has billions of hosts to incubate it billions of times each, and spawn many new variants of it's own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

It could go either way, let’s see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Theres no point in closing borders, restricting flights unless we go China style and lock up cities and test every man women and child over a weekend, not happening.

Lets hope that if it is more transmisable, that its less effective at making people sick, could be a blessing in disguise if so.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

The worrying thing about this is the amount of variations it has on the spike protein, from my limited understanding of Pfizer+Moderna, they replicate the spike protein ... attack your cells (harmlessly as not attached to virus) and so your body can regognise a real protein spike from a coronavirus if you are exposed in future.

If this spike protein has sufficiently changed , then you'd think our antibodies would be useless against it.

Of course as mentioned this could be a blessing in disguise , as this Nu has loads of other variations - hopefully some make it less deadly.

Wow !

Thanks for this, If I could thank it twice I would ... I read it after my post above 😅 ... I really hope she is right.

.... great points about ignoring the media too.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

It does sort of feel like the only way out of this thing is it evolves into something a bit mild, even if more transmissible. It's how 1918 ended, I think.

So I'm not panic stations yet over it but I've not really adjusted my behaviour much as I'm very risk averse wrt covid anyway until the thing **** off due to living with vulnerable people.

It's really irresponsible of doctors and scientists to sow fear and spread panic. They're supposed to do no harm. And I'm not saying they should lie, but that WHO doctor is always coming out with doomsday stuff.

I'd love for him to have a go at answering this: Jasnah Kholin - 8964 - ACAB - 💉💉 on Twitter: "anyone trying to throw the words "vaccine escape" around has to explain to me how a non-integrating virus incapable of nuclear latency is supposed to escape a polyclonal *ADAPTIVE* immune response or shut the **** up." / Twitter

As Jasnah Kholin tweeted: "I'm 'so' tired of this ****". I imagine he is.

And Dr Mike Yeadon: "No variant differs from the original sequence by more than 0.3%. In other words, all variants are at least 99.7% identical to the Wuhan sequence. It's a fiction, and an evil one at that, that variants are likely to "escape immunity"".

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭funkyzeit100

Oh for fup sake! This is it folks, us against nature and everything inbetween, the nu world order, a permawar with an incorrigible, invisible enemy that's either all-powerful or of minor consequence, we're not sure. Variants don't play by the rules! Shut down the all you can eat buffets! Woman the barricades! Capricorns to the front! Saggitarians to the rear! Mind your distance! And God help us all... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭richie_os

I read before that viruses generally, eventually, mutate into less lethal versions of themselves. This is because the primary goal of the virus is actually to survive, not to hurt us. The less lethal they are, the more hosts they will have, thus helping their survival. Similar to any form of evolution, living things adapt to survive. The fact that they are less lethal also makes them the dominant strain, because the more lethal strains hospitalize or kill off their hosts, while the less lethal strain survives and can keep spreading.

Not saying this is what's happening with Nu, but it can and probably will happen at some stage if past pandemics are anything to go by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

what struck me most this morning hearing it on the radio was the fact the UK was moving so swiftly to stop flights from Southern Africa considering how in march 2020 they dragged their feet unlike most other countries at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Tell me this. If the Nu variant is less deadly and more transmissible, that's a good thing right? If Nu continued to circulate, and immunity from having Nu meant that you couldn't catch the Alpha, Kent or Delta variants, then that is positively a good thing

Why aren't governments working on producing a mutated virus that does exactly that? Do we not know what makes one covid variant more deadly, or more transmissible than another?

And yes, I realise there are ethical questions, strong ones, about releasing a man-made virus into the community, even if their intentions are to end the pandemic. But I wonder, would less ethical governments just do it, and not tell us? Would they not do it because they are just not sure what this less deadly variant might do in the wild?

I am not for a moment suggesting that that is what is happening here - after all we know nothing really about Nu yet, but I could actually see this scenario happening if we are still in this position in two or three years.

I was never a conspiracy theorist before this bleedin' pandemic. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The person in Belgium apparently picked up the Nu variant in Egypt before returning to Belgium on November 11th, and first showed symptoms on November 22nd. If that is the case, and it is as contagious as being reported, then I think we are well past containment. Hopefully this variant has milder symptoms, replaces Delta as the dominant strain and reduces strain on the health system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

That's actually hopeful. The more deadly the variant, the shorter the infection to symptoms time - or at least that seems to be the case so far. If the lead in time from infection to symptoms is 10 days plus, then that's an indication that it might cause less illness than the Alpha variant. Of course if the lead in time is that long, it's definitely all over Europe by now, so the cancellation of flights is useless. Mad that they only picked up the variant three days ago, and this Belgian lad may have picked it up across the other side of the African continent more than two weeks ago.

*Taps fingers together and ponders*

I know Dr Cummins divides opinion on here, but he says Nu is a natural evolution of the virus: https://mobile.twitter.com/FatEmperor/status/1464234204309426185

He also says covid is similar to prior bad flu years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Maybe but we cant just bank on one case as evidence obviously. It could be milder but more transmissible than delta, but it would have to be significantly milder to offset the vaccine evasion worrys.

It's a 3 way ratio between evasiveness/severity/transmisibilty and you want at least two of those in the right direction for it to be less a worry than delta. The degree of which isnt going to be known for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

It has now been officialy named by the WHO. It's not Nu. It's Omicron:

But they say the same thing about every variant? I've lost count of the number of times I've read "Experts/scientists concerned that variant will evade vaccines" about such and such a variant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Advertisement