Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2021 Edition)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Megaman X2|SNES
    2. Streets of Rage 4|PC
    3. Sekiro|PC
    4. Megaman 7|SNES
    5. Megaman 8|PS1
    6. Megaman X3|SNES
    7. Megaman & Bass|SNES
    8. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim|PS4
    9. Broken Sword: Director's Cut|PC
    10. Command & Conquer: Red Alert|PC
    11. Mischief Makers|N64
    12. Wolfenstein 2: New Colossus (DLC)|PC
    13. Deception 4: Blood Ties|PS4
    14. Final Fantasy Adventure|Gameboy
    15. Virtua Racing|Switch
    16. Thief 2: The Metal Age|PC
    17. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Spearhead|PC
    18. Crysis Remaster|PC
    19. God of War: Chain of Olympus|PS3
    20. Resident Evil Village|PC
    21. Live a Live|SNES
    22. Clockwork Knight|Saturn
    23. DuckTales|NES
    24. Drakengard 3|PS3
    25. Double Dragon|NES
    26. Secret of Mana|SNES
    27. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions|Android
    28. Halo 5: Guardians|XBox One
    29. Air Combat|PS1
    30. Kamui|PC
    31. DuckTales 2|NES
    32. Turok Dinosaur Hunter|PC
    33. Professor Layton and Pandora's Box|Android
    34. Ape Escape|PS1
    35. No One Lives Forever|PC
    36. DuckTales Remastered|PC
    37. Yakuza: Like a Dragon|PC
    38. Asterix|Master System
    39. McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure|Megadrive
    40. Fuga: Melodies of Steel|PC
    41. Quake|PC
    42. Return of the Obra Dinn|PC
    43. Tail Concerto|PS1
    44. Contra 3 (Hard Mode)|SNES
    45. Rocket Knight|PC
    46. Enemy Zero|PC
    47. Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon|PC
    48. Final Fantasy II: Pixel Remaster|PC
    49. Sparkster (Hard Mode)|SNES
    50. Sweet Home|NES

Sweet Home

Finally beaten this game from the October horrorthon. I never got around to Clock Tower.

Anyway Sweet Home is a late Famicom horror RPG from Capcom that greatly influenced Resident Evil. There's a lot of influence Resi pulled from this game from a finite amount of healing items in the game to the weird puzzles and clues. Even the animation of the doors opening is in this game.

Sweet Home is based on a japanese horror film of the same name. 5 researchers enter a mansion to document the mansion's famous frescoes and get trapped inside while evil forces lurk within. Each of the five characters have their own unique skill. Kazuo has a lighter, Akiko has a medikit for curing status ailments, Asuka has a.... eh... vacuum cleaner for cleaning frescos and shattered glass, Taro has a camera for photographing the frescoes and Emi has a key and is your 'Master of Unlocking'. Many of these items also have utility in battle that can help immensely in the early stages

The battle system is standard Dragon Quest style but with it's own horror tinged take on it that makes it very interesting. Most battles are random although some areas have visible encounters. Encounter rates are mercifully low. You can form parties with all five characters but never bigger than three members. You can switch between the 5 characters at any time. If a party gets into battle they have the option to fight on or call the other party members to join in the fight. The other party then has about 15 seconds to make their way over to the other party otherwise they will have to wait another round to call them again. Many of the traps, hazards and status effects the player encounters are designed to break up the party which can lead to very tense moments as you scramble to get your party back together before a random encounter triggers. Another difference is there are no heal skills like in other RPGs. You have to use one of your limited supply of tonics that once used will restore a party to full health. And it's dangerous to keep party members at low health as once they are dead they are gone for good (although you can get items to replicate their unique ability it's probably better to reset at this point). Inventory is also very limited with each character only able to carry two items.

What this leads to is a JRPG that is genuinely tense and works brilliantly. In the opening few hours. After that you kind of get a feel for the game and level up enough that you enemies aren't too much trouble. You learn tactics like using the call command in battle to leap frog you parties and keep them together and having the other party join you means you all share experience and can heal all 5 members with a tonic rather than the maximum of three in a single party. There's a few flaws, you can soft lock the game if you doing something stupid but it's rare and mitigated by the fact you can save anywhere.

Don't expect a good story with this one. It's not really all that well explained and I'm pretty sure you would need to have seen the film to get the full picture. Speaking of which the final item hunt and boss fight are very obtuse and I feel it's something that would make more sense to people that have seen the movie. A decent faq is probably required for the back half of the game and it is very easy to leave behind an important item and have to scour the mansion looking for it.

The visuals for a famicom/NES game are absolutely gorgeous. The overhead sections look like a high budget NES JRPG but the battle and cinematic pixel art is absolutely stunning with some really gruesome and well detailed pixel work and full animations which were rare for 8-bit (and even SNES) RPGs at the time. There's some very creepy music to add to the atmosphere.

Really enjoyed this one although a faq close at hand is recommended. It has it's flaws but it's hugely enjoyable despite these. It's such an interesting game with a wealth of ideas and there's really nothing else like it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

1. Resident Evil 3 - PlayStation 4
    2. Resident Evil 4 - PlayStation 4
    3. Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4
    4. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - PlayStation 4
    5. Endless Fable 3: Dark Moor - PlayStation 4
    6. Cube Escape: The Lake - Android
    7. The Secret Order 7: Shadow Breach - PlayStation 4
    8. A Plague Tale: Innocence - PlayStation 4
    9. Ghost Files: Memory of a Crime - PlayStation 4
    10. Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka With Love - PlayStation 4
    11. Anodyne - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    12. Dandara - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    13. Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exidus - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    14. Dead Space 2 - PlayStation 3
    15. Dead Space 3 - PlayStation 3
    16. Medievil - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    17. Broken Age - PlayStation 4
    18. Call of Duty Blacks Ops 3 (Campaign only) - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    19. Unmechanical Extended - PlayStation 4
    20. Marvels Avengers - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    21. Far Cry 3 - PlayStation 3
    22. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - PlayStation 3
    23. In Rays of the Light - PlayStation 4
    24. Yoku's Island Express - PlayStation 4
    25. Borderlands 3 - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    26. Streets of Rage 4 - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    27. Judgement - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    28. Astro's Playroom - PlayStation 5
    29. Red Dead Redemption 2 - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    30. Nier Automata - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    31. Bugsnax - PlayStation 5
    32. The Last of Us Part II - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    33. Demon Hunter: Revelation - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    34. Far Cry 4 & Valley of the Yetis DLC - PS4 game on PlayStation 5

Far Cry 4 & Valley of the Yetis DLC

There's not much I can say about this really, it's a Far Cry game for better of worse. The story is entry was poor I thought with no memorable characters, Pagan Min was a fairly poor antagonist. I am one of the few who quite enjoys completing the checklist of things to do to collect most trophies in Ubisoft open world games. I find it quite relaxing and I also enjoy the fact that not all collectables of a particular type is required for the trophy.

Solid gameplay as usual but poor story just about sums it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TinCanMan

Bioshock Infinite [PS4] - I loved this game but not quite as much as the first. Although very different from 1 & 2 there are some slight similarities with weapons and vigours(plasmids). If you've never played a Bioshock game then the collection is available quite cheaply. I would highly recommend all three for those that haven't played them. They are masterpieces and should be played in order of release date i.e. 1,2 and then infinite.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider [PS4] - If you've played a Tomb Raider game before then you'll know what to expect. This one is slightly less combat heavy than the first two in the trilogy and more focused on stealth and exploration. It's a beautiful looking game and whilst I enjoyed it I found it to be the weakest of the three.

Astro's Playroom [PS5] - First things first, this game is seriously fun with so much nostalgia thrown in from Playstation history that I was grinning like an idiot at times. But what's most impressive is that they used this game to highlight the new features of the Dualsense controller and boy does it shine. This is a revolution in controller design and I can't wait to see how other games will make use of it in the near future. There's a real wow factor about the Dualsense and it lives up to all the hype.

Ghost of Tsushima [PS5] - This game is something else. The visuals are pure eye candy and the gameplay and story are excellent. Whilst the visuals on the PS5 are the same the 60 FPS makes a huge difference. I enjoyed this game so much that I went on to get the platinum. I have yet to try out the online mode though as I don't really play much online.

Uncharted 4 [PS4/PS5] - What a way to finish the series. If you've played the others then you'll know what to expect but boy does this game look beautiful and also plays really well. Looks amazing for a 6 year old game at this stage, great story and voice acting as well. I would advise on playing them in order though to get the most from the story and characters.

Days Gone [PS5] - What an absolute masterpiece this is. Although slow to get going things really pick up after the 10 hours mark. The only downside is that the human AI are as dumb as a bag of rocks. Fighting the hordes really gets the adrenaline flowing as well. I thoroughly recommend this and loved it so much that I went on to get the platinum.

Dishonored 1 [PS5] - There are so many ways to play this game. You can go all guns blazing, pure stealth or a mixture of the two. The graphics have aged but the cartoony nature means they're not too difficult on the eye. I really enjoyed my playthrough bar one mission. It's a short game but there are so many paths to take and so many ways to deal with enemies that I can understand why people complete multiple playthroughs. 

A Plague Tale: Innocence [PS5] - What an absolutely amazing game. If you haven't played it then I would highly recommend it. It's a story driven game set in the 1300's in France with stealth, puzzles and some combat. I thoroughly enjoyed my playthrough and the graphics are pure eye candy. 

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Call of duty cold war - PS4

A plague tale innocence - Xbox one

Fifa 20 - Xbox one

Hotshot racing - Xbox one

Mafia - PS4

Resident evil 3 - PS4

The walking dead a new frontier - Xbox one

Hitman 2 - PS4

What remains of Edith Finch - Xbox one

Beyond 2 souls - PS4

Ion Fury - PS4

Mad Max - PS4

Assassins creed valhalla - PS4

Dead space 3 - Xbox 360

Apocalypse - PS1

God of war 3 remastered - PS4

Quake - Xbox one

Alan wake remastered - PS4

Little hope - PS4

PES 2021 - Xbox one

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

I'm not a big gamer, but recently borrowed a friends PS4. Not sure if it counts, but I finished Injustice 2 last night. On the playthrough story mode set to easy.

I really enjoyed it, the cut scenes were like a very watchable movie. I enjoyed the hell out of it, could have played it for twice as long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

GAME: GTA III: Definitive Edition

PLATFORM: Xbox One

I didn't run into any game breaking bugs like was being reported, but there were a couple of daft mishaps within the game that do need addressing. As I write this a patch was released but it only fixed a large amount of minor issues. I'd say it'll be another couple of weeks before they begin working on fixing all the bigger issues people have been reporting.

From a gameplay point of view, it's the best way to play. The controls have been modernised (though you can change it to the classic control scheme if you really, really want to).

The graphics themselves are very good. The lighting effects are amazing. The only visual problem I had was the implementation of HDR (Which they've disabled temporarily since the latest patch, by the looks of it) and the rain fx are horribly implemented. There were also two occasions where there was absolutely no audio during cutscenes, one of which, after a restart due to mission failure, the audio came back.

Few oddities like character models besides the main playable character being a bit on the funny side, but I'll forgive it considering they built this remaster on top of a 20-year-old game. It's almost exactly what I was expecting this game to be, minus the bugs.

As per, I can't play GTA III without beating it 100%, which is what I did here. All the achievements nabbed in the process.

It's my favourite GTA of the 3D era so I only have good things to say about it. It's as classic a GTA as you can get, fundamental and fun. It's basic, but that's all it needs to be. It's literally a classic GTA game in 3D, with all the bells and whistles the previous, original two games had before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

[Xbox]

The Forgotten City

Good game had to wait around for ages in game time waiting for the election at night. I must have waited at least 15 mins real time. I actually ate my dinner while leaving the game running also I feel got the wrong ending luckily the game saves a decent amount so I'm going to load a older save and try for a different ending.

[Xbox]

Limbo

Played this years ago around release on 360 and got stuck and it was always on my mind to go back so I did today. Had to restart it as I originally played it on the Xbox 360 offline. Got to the section I was stuck at and couldn't believe how easy the solution was. It was right there in front of me and I spotted it straight away this time. With my new found achievement I pushed on and got stuck a fair few time but you just have to think about it. I was really stuck at one section so I back tracked and sure enough the box I needed was there to be found and then pushed on.

I played it twice today the Xbox 360 version on backwards compatibility and then the Xbox One version as it's on Gamepass. Flew through it the second time. You might think that's crazy playing it twice but it's a short game less then an hour. That is when you know what to do. Playing it your first time you will get stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Dark Souls Remastered

Been chipping away on this for a while and left off some point after the O&S fight. Picked it up again the last few weeks and finished it out including all the DLC which is well worth doing. Artorias fight was very cool . Fantastic game and world and loved the way everything is tied together. I've tried Demon Souls and much prefer how the Dark Souls world is tied together. Used a Dex Uchigatana build and found it very fun to play. Immediately started NG+ with a Great Scythe flippy ninja build which is awesome.

Dark Souls 3

Much like the above, I have played a decent amount of this and left it for a while (just before Pontiff). Launched straight back into it after finishing DS Remastered while I was still in Soulsey mood. Really enjoyed this one too. Used a strength build but I much more enjoyed playing Dex in the first game. Didn't venture into the DLC in this one as I hear its very hard and I was kind of burned out on Souls at this point.

Very happy to have finished my first 2 Souls games. Have DS2 SOTFS in the backlog and will get started on that once I get my next Souls fit. Have Sekiro too so might try that also, played a bit and dropped it before. Need to get good at parrying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a boss fight in Sekiro you will get stuck on but it will also teach you how to parry and how the game works. After you beat it it's like being able to see the matrix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Niska

Guardians of the Galaxy (PS5)

A fun, chaotic mess of a game. Doesn't quite know what it wants to be, it's a shooter that's closer to an ARPG. in combat you have a pair of guns that overheat if overused, allowing a power shot while cooling down (think the reload mechanism in Gears) - and this is about the only use of the adaptive triggers. The aiming is loose, very loose at times, and can add a layer of frustration to the game at time.

In addition to the main gun, you have four elemental shots (you acquire them over the course of the game) - ice, fire, wind (force pull) and electricity. Most enemies are vulnerable to a specific element or have an element specific shield - all indicated on the HUD which can get very noisy at times (see chaotic above).

You and your four teammates (Gamora, Rocket, Drax and Groot) have a cooldown power and gain more as the story progresses / XP are spent. While the game slows down when you pull up the power sue menu, it doesn't stop, adding to the chaotic feel. The powers tend to be either group control / damage or single target damage.

The enemies range from the usual minions to bosses, with some of the medium tier enemies feeling very bullet spongey - though this usually can be solved by the correct combination of powers, which leads to a frustrating fight turning good. There's also quick time events in combat, usually stripping a big mob of a limb or two which stops a specific power being used against you.

last element of combat is the huddle you call the team together, choose a response based on their dialog - choose right and all cooldowns are reset, poorly and just yours. This also adds a song from your walkman to the fight, and is usually the main reason to use it.

Outside combat it's a story driven (story is fairly good) , linear single player game. Lots of banter, and the voice acting is almost universally good, with voice queues in combat when cooldowns are read. Story is probably one or two beats too long, but doesn't out stay it's welcome too much. Along the way there are dialog decisions to make - most are time dependent, making them slow QTEs. Some will have long term effects - usually of the form of bypassing a fight.

Overall an enjoyable, messy game, but probably worth waiting for sale or Gamepass/PS Now/Epic.

Backbone - Xbox Series X.

An anthropomorphic detective game, with a really bleak and dark tone. Dialogue is really well written and the story is well paced. The art style is gorgeous. The music is really great.

The ending is... rather abrupt. It's on GamePass, I'd recommend getting it on sale only for other platforms. It's a good game, not a great one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

35. Lost Grimoires 3: the Forgotten Well - PlayStation 5

Yet another Artifex Mundi game completed and platinumed, Lost Grimoires 3: the Forgotten Well standard fare and exactly what I was looking for after playing Far Cry 4.

Next up for me is Mafia Definitive Edition. I've never played any of the Mafia games before so looking forward to it.

Sable - Xbox Series X

It's an adventure/exploration/puzzle type game where you play a female protagonist who journeys through a desert landscape trying to find her place in it.

It has a really beautiful and unique art style with very minimal graphical detail yet some of the set pieces were absolutely stunning and they really nailed the sense of place and culture in that world.

I think it's like a cross between Breath of the Wild and Journey.

Great game, I'd love to see what this team can do with a bigger budget.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

1. Streets of Rage 4 | Switch
    2. Cyberpunk 2077 | PS5(PS4 version)
    3. Remnant from the ashes | PS5(PS4)
    4. Life is strange Season 2 | PS5(PS4)
    5. FFX HD remaster | Switch
    6. AC:Odyssey | PS5(PS4)
    7. Resident evil 3:remake | PS5(PS4)
    8. Halo 5: Guardians | Xbox Series X
    9. State of Decay 2 | Xbox Series X
    10. Nioh 2 remastered | PS5
    11. Astro's Playroom |PS5
    12. Crash 4 | PS5
    13. Gears of War 4 | Xbox Series X
    14. Dex | Switch
    15. Valkyria Chronicles 4 |PS5 (PS4)
    16. Resident evil 8: Village | PS5
    17. Outriders | Xbox Series X
    18. Mass Effect 1: Legendary Edition | Xbox Series X
    19. Blood and Truth | PS5(PSVR)
    20. Dead Space | Xbox Series X(X360 gamepass)
    21. Disco Elysium Director's cut | PS5
    22. Mass Effect 2 : Legendary Edition | Xbox Series X
    23. Returnal | PS5
    24. Ruiner | Switch
    25. Zelda: Links awakening (remake) | Switch
    26. Mass Effect 3 :Legendary Edition | Xbox Series X
    27. Untitled Goose Game | Switch
    28. Yakuza Kiwami 2 | PS5 (PS4)
    29. FF7 Remake :Intergrade Intermission DLC | PS5
    30. Children of Morta | Xbox Series X
    31. 12 Minutes | Xbox Series X
    32. State of Decay 2: Heartland DLC | Xbox Series X
    33. Spiderman: Miles Morales | PS5
    34. Metro Exodus | PS5
    35. Metroid Dread | Switch
    36. Final Fantasy 15 DLC Episode Gladiolous | PS5(PS4)
    37. Astral Chain | Nintendo Switch
    38. Slay the Spire | Xbox series X

Astral Chain

Just wrapped this up today and I thought the combat was great its not a patch on Nier though.

The plot for me is nonsense. I like anime and at times it was too anime.

Slay the Spire

Played this via gamepass, its one of those games you never really "finish" but I completed up to act 3 with the three original characters love the complexity of this deck building its a great game, would encourage anyone with gamepass to check it out. I know there is an act 4 but I can't seem to get past the final boss with any characters again pain in the ass

Nearly finished Judgment on the second last chapter and I have been putting some real hours into Halo infinite as its great imo.

Can't believe I finished forty games including some DLC parts crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I must go back to Slay the Spire - I burnt myself out on it before the fourth character was introduced.

Oh, you reminded me that I finished Streets of Rage 4. It's a really great game, I loved the originals as a kid and it really catered to that nostalgia. So much fun playing this with a buddy.

Yeah I loved it , love the artwork and the controls were great, was perfect for the switch I felt

Yeah it's such a good game with that one more go vibe. I can't for the life of me reach act 4. I got to the last boss of act 3 with all keys and he had 14 health left , I had no attacks and his damage output was 76. I tend to have my deck fairly big though so I need to get it down to below 20 cards.

[Xbox]

Dishonored

Brilliant game, loved every minute of it.

• Advertisement

[Xbox]

Dishonored (DLC) The Knife of Dunwall

More of the same if you liked the main game this is worth picking up.

1. Megaman X2|SNES
    2. Streets of Rage 4|PC
    3. Sekiro|PC
    4. Megaman 7|SNES
    5. Megaman 8|PS1
    6. Megaman X3|SNES
    7. Megaman & Bass|SNES
    11. Mischief Makers|N64
    15. Virtua Racing|Switch
    18. Crysis Remaster|PC
    21. Live a Live|SNES
    23. DuckTales|NES
    24. Drakengard 3|PS3
    25. Double Dragon|NES
    26. Secret of Mana|SNES
    29. Air Combat|PS1
    30. Kamui|PC
    31. DuckTales 2|NES
    34. Ape Escape|PS1
    41. Quake|PC
    43. Tail Concerto|PS1
    45. Rocket Knight|PC
    46. Enemy Zero|PC
    50. Sweet Home|NES
    51. Yakuza: Dead Souls|PS3

Yakuza: Dead Souls

Dead Souls is a spin off of the main Yakuza games and not considered canon. In this game Kamurocho is invaded by zombies and it's up to a bunch of returning characters to solve the mystery and rid the streets of the zombie menace. In way this feels very similar to Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare expansion.

Dead Souls structure is very like a Yakuza game. There's loads of minigames, shops and side missions to distract from the main quests. Kamurocho is separated into free areas that are zombie free and quarantined areas that are teeming with zombies. As the game progresses more and more areas are covered by the quarantine zone and many establishments will need to be helped so you can avail of their services again. This kind of leads to some really weirdness like shops, hot springs, gambling dens and hostess clubs operating as normal deep inside the zombie infested zones.

This game just does not take itself very seriously. The developers have a lot of fun here, bringing back a lot of fan favourites without any concerns for whether they are alive or dead within the main canon. There's some real laugh out loud moments in the game, especially in some of the side quests, but it never games as good as Like a Dragon for laughs per minute.

Combat has also changed. The game is no longer a brawler but a third person shooter. And this is one of the big issues with the game. It's not as good a third person shooter as Yakuza is a brawler. It's strange as the team actually made an amazing third person shooter with the underrated Binary Domain. This game I think wants to appeal more to the japanese market with much more simplified controls with a lock on system. It's kind of awkward and not that satisfying. The game features special infected along with standard zombies to mix things up and it feels like these were ripped straight out of left 4 dead. I doubt this is a coincidence, when I was in japan they had Left 4 Dead arcade machines (with keyboard and mouse).

The biggest issue with this game is that it's extremely repetitive. While each chapter changes up the character you control and the quarantine zone meaning your entry into kamurocho also changes, you end up entering through the same way multiple times, especially if you are doing side quests. You get really sick of going through the same corridors to reach the open area over and over again. This gets especially annoying when the hostess bars end up in the quarantine zone as you will have to make multiple trips to the safe area just to hear a phone call and then head back to the hostess bar which can be at the far side of the map. (Pro-tip, if you are playing this game don't do the hostess bar quests. They are all a slog and not worth it. They've none of the comedy of the other side quests).

The game is fine but the repetition ultimately kills it and I can't really recommend it to anyone but the biggest Yakuza fans that will get the most out of the fan service. Anyone else is better off getting into the main series.

35. Lost Grimoires 3: the Forgotten Well - PlayStation 5
    36. Mafia: Definitive Edition - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    37. Endless Fables 4: Shadow Within - PlayStation 5

Mafia: Definitive Edition

I really loved this game. I pretty much missed the entire PlayStation 2 generation of games so I never played any Mafia games before but I can only assume that this edition really adds to the original game. I found the story engaging, the graphics excellent, the voice work absolutely top notch and the gameplay both challenging and fun. I did think the controls were a little unresponsive at the start but once I got used to them there were no real issues.

An other thing I enjoyed was the option to skip driving sections. More games need this option as it's a huge time saver cutting out all the pointless drive from point a to point b sections that are nothing more than filler.

I already own Mafia 3 as part of PS Plus but I've heard bad things about that game. I'll definitely pick up and play mafia 2: Definitive Edition first though the next time it drops in price.

Endless Fables 4: Shadow Within

Another Artifex Mundi game, this one was actually slightly more difficult than usual with was welcome. Enjoyable as always.

Post edited by Kingp35 on

[Xbox]

Dishonored (DLC) The Brigmore Witches

Good DLC. More of the same if you liked the main game then you would like this.

1. Megaman X2|SNES
    2. Streets of Rage 4|PC
    3. Sekiro|PC
    4. Megaman 7|SNES
    5. Megaman 8|PS1
    6. Megaman X3|SNES
    7. Megaman & Bass|SNES
    11. Mischief Makers|N64
    15. Virtua Racing|Switch
    18. Crysis Remaster|PC
    21. Live a Live|SNES
    23. DuckTales|NES
    24. Drakengard 3|PS3
    25. Double Dragon|NES
    26. Secret of Mana|SNES
    29. Air Combat|PS1
    30. Kamui|PC
    31. DuckTales 2|NES
    34. Ape Escape|PS1
    41. Quake|PC
    43. Tail Concerto|PS1
    45. Rocket Knight|PC
    46. Enemy Zero|PC
    50. Sweet Home|NES
    52. Picross S3|Switch

Picross S3

Why haven't I been beating many Switch games? Picross.

Picross S3 is pretty much the same as the rest of the series but more of it. You've got a tonne of Picross and Mega Picross puzzles. Clip Picross from S2 is back which are still terrible. They add nothing new to the game and as someone that has gotten very good at picross, they off no real challenging puzzles that I can't beat within less than a minute in most cases. Picross S3 however is the game to introduce Colour Picross puzzles (which also appeared in the Overlord cross over game). Colour Picross is excellent and brings a whole new way of approaching and thinking about the puzzles. There's one issue here, there just isn't enough of them, way less than half the amount of normal and mega picross. I'd gladly trade the crappy clip picross puzzles for more colour picross.

Anyway I'm going to try and stay away from Picross S4 because it's just such an addictive game and it's all I play anytime I pick up the switch. I really need to start Metroid Dread at some point!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Call of duty cold war - PS4

A plague tale innocence - Xbox one

Fifa 20 - Xbox one

Hotshot racing - Xbox one

Mafia - PS4

Resident evil 3 - PS4

The walking dead a new frontier - Xbox one

Hitman 2 - PS4

What remains of Edith Finch - Xbox one

Beyond 2 souls - PS4

Ion Fury - PS4

Mad Max - PS4

Assassins creed valhalla - PS4

Dead space 3 - Xbox 360

Apocalypse - PS1

God of war 3 remastered - PS4

Quake - Xbox one

Alan wake remastered - PS4

Little hope - PS4

PES 2021 - Xbox one

F1 2020 - PS4

1. Megaman X2|SNES
    2. Streets of Rage 4|PC
    3. Sekiro|PC
    4. Megaman 7|SNES
    5. Megaman 8|PS1
    6. Megaman X3|SNES
    7. Megaman & Bass|SNES
    11. Mischief Makers|N64
    15. Virtua Racing|Switch
    18. Crysis Remaster|PC
    21. Live a Live|SNES
    23. DuckTales|NES
    24. Drakengard 3|PS3
    25. Double Dragon|NES
    26. Secret of Mana|SNES
    29. Air Combat|PS1
    30. Kamui|PC
    31. DuckTales 2|NES
    34. Ape Escape|PS1
    41. Quake|PC
    43. Tail Concerto|PS1
    45. Rocket Knight|PC
    46. Enemy Zero|PC
    50. Sweet Home|NES
    52. Picross S3|Switch
    53. Umurangi Generation|PC

Umurangi Generation

Umurangi Generation is what you get when you make a game out of a videogame photomode. The results are incredible.

The basic premise is you are put into an environment and given 10 minutes to complete a list of photo assignments that have to fit a set of criteria. How you complete them is entirely up to you. There's bonus objectives as well which unlock additional camera upgrades that open up more options for enhancing, or in my case ruining, your photos. You might only have 10 minutes to beat a stage but the game as a really laid back relaxing atmosphere, the 10 minute limit is only there as one of the bonus objectives and you aren't penalised if you miss it. My first time in a stage I treat as a scouting run and then my second time is when I try to complete everything within the 10 minutes.

The environments are the real star of the show. Each environment is completely open to be explored by the player and each is very small by modern standards. However they are packed with so much detail that they manage to seem large and intimidating. The game is a real masterclass in environmental storytelling, there's lots of little details to pick out that give hints and explanations to what is going on in the world. It's all show don't tell and it works brilliantly to get your imagination asking questions. The minimalist art style might turn people off but I think the game looks gorgeous, it really has it's own identity and style. It's a bit like Jet Set Radio with some New Zealand Maori flair. The soundtrack as well is fantastic and adds to the mood the visuals set. It's just so much fun exploring these little microcosms and stumbling across something interesting or getting ideas for the perfect shot.

Technically the game is a little janky. It feels like a game made in Unity with little testing. Expect a little frustration the odd time you get caught up on scenery and there are bugs, I've been shot into the air a few times and once fell through the ground into the void. It's hardly enough to distract from where the game exceeds.

It's a short sweet unique little game with loads of heart and it might be my favourite game from 2020. On to the DLC now which I'm halfway through and really enjoying!

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

Advertisement