Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Santy get a boyfriend...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭funkyzeit100

The very idea of taking something completely innocuous, that nobody ever had an issue with, that nobody ever argued about or was angry about, and then purposefully creating an antagonistic campaign out of it is just plain pathetic.

But it's worse than simply pathetic, it is also yet another in a long line of antagonistic bs that has at it's core one simple goal, to annoy people. It creates division where there was none before, it creates arguments where there were none before.

There wouldn't have been a single person involved in this stunt that didn't recognise they were creating controversy. That was the point.

It just so happens to be Santa clause in this case. Nobody was wondering about the sexuality of a fictional character that delivers presents to young children. Nobody.

Here's a few more ideas to wreck people's heads for no reason. Let's paint all postboxes with Nazi swastikas, why not? Everyone is wondering about the political leanings of postboxes, right? That won't annoy anyone at all. Perfectly normal.

Everyone is wondering about the preferred genders of washing machines, right? Let's have an advertisement campaign from whirlpool about washing machines being born in the factory as men and women and everything in between. People are crying out for it.

You get the society you deserve and nobody wants to live in a raging dump of antagonism like the United States, the birthplace of this derangement. If you think this kind of stuff is in any way, whatsoever, "lovely" or "nice" or promotes "togetherness", you need to pull your head out of your arse and realise it is precisely the opposite in intent, and precisely the opposite in result.

Santa is for children between the ages of about 2 and 10. Not an age where they have any interest in seeing Santa kissing anybody. So it’s shock trolling by Norwegian Post.

Thats all I have to say on the matter. Merry Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Scandinavians don't get enough sunlight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I don't see how this video does anything for 'gayness' or openness.

It is tacky and purile.

For me it is just a huge "(roll eyes) Whatever."

I am actually going to Lapland in a few weeks and I will certainly be putting the hard questions to Santa.

Can I blackmail him?

A mythological figure on a Norwegian TV advert snogs another guy and, primarily American, right wing social media has a meltdown.

Fair play to Norwegian Santa. It’s not easy finding a bf at 1720 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I find the term "santy" offensive...

This naw tis grand, people need to lighten up.

Starfire20 summed it up well

Youtube says the caption at the end says “In 2022, it will be 50 years since it became legal to love whomever you want in Norway.”

This just looks like the feigned puzzlement that was already mentioned. Neither Santa nor Mrs Claus exist but the legend has it that there is a Mrs Claus. Nobody is pretending. You're also assuming that everyone knows about the suit colour change, when it's not as well known as that, and occurred well over 100 years ago.

It looks like the company is just looking for a reaction. One can despise homophobia and not be outraged (or think it's disgusting), right-wing and so on, while also thinking the above.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

There is literally no other explanation.

They took an innocuous thing that everyone likes, and then created an advertisement campaign with the explicit intent of riling people up. Everyone behind it knew exactly what they were doing.

Someway or somehow, the ones behind it will have their calculations done and came to the conclusion that creating this micro division will in some indirect way get them more money. These companies and advertisers are just awful, anything for a buck.

As someone else said, they'd do the exact same thing for Jesus and make him gay, or Mohammed, or whatever you're having. The only thing stopping them from doing it is that they've calculated it's probably not going to get them a buck. But as soon as the calculations come back differently, they'll be all over gay Jesus like a cheap suit.

It's pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Its as pointless as any other “heartwarming” Christmas ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

I'll ask you a similar question, an ad featuring George Floyd kissing Donald Trump, how would that make you feeel? I'll make it even easier, George Floyd kissing Martin Luther King. How about that?

I know it's unlikely you'll answer honestly, even to yourself. But it made your skin crawl a bit, didn't it? You've just got different value system with different sacred ideals. So what about it? Any fuss over George Floyd kissing Donald Trump in a TV ad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I love this kind of thing, anything that annoys the anti woke brigade!

Well I find the thought of Trump kissing anything a bit stomach churning. Even Melania seems to jump out of the way.

Wouldn’t give a damn though who kisses who.

Division division division!!

Make the bucks off division!

More people angry is great!

And then someone above said that this thing is "pointless". Au contraire, it 100% has a point, right from it's inception in the mind of some devious snake right through to the board of oily cockroaches that approved it.

Pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It is not just Santa...

There are calls a plenty to for the next James Bond film to portray him as gay... including from one recent bond co-star...

about 25 Bond films I think... and 48 books over 59 years... where the character is a straightforwardly straight guy, borderline womanizer in fact....

Now to please, be inclusive and whatever, turn him gay ? Bizarre. It would be seen as a victory for the LGBT quangos...whom it seems are getting quite aggressive in their demands... everyone should be gay, James Bond, Santa, The Pope, ...

what next ? What other historical characters of fiction or otherwise will there be a clamoring to have their characters totally rewritten ?

Ive never felt any sort of neediness in this life to have any facet of my being ‘represented’.... by anybody...

can these quangos not just get on with enjoyment of their life without getting offended by the idea that not everyone is gay ? That there will be millions of people who relate to the decades old premise... decades old story...James Bond and X girl...

santa & Mrs Claus ?

• Advertisement

You see, the gay industry (as opposed to ordinary gay on the street who just goes about his day to life in a normal manner and probably winces at this type of thing) is terrified that 'we' or the world will forget them or get bored. Petrified that they will no longer be the centre of attention so you gotta keep it in the limelight. A bit like Donald Trump really- he doesnt care as long as he is in the news. Any news.

Interesting and clever way of avoiding the question. That's not what I asked.

I don't think anyone here cares whether the santa outside the local tesco goes home and kisses his pet baboon, as long as he's not livestreaming it to kids. The question is not who kisses who, it's would you be ok with an ad on TV showing George Floyd kissing Donald Trump? It's clear from your answer you can't even write the words and instead evade the proposition entirely with a more comfortable and completely abstract concept of 'anyone kissing anyone'.

I'd love to see an honest answer 'I am ok with a TV ad with Donald Trump kissing George Floyd'. But you've already given your answer by avoiding it.

You seem to have the impression that I care…

I know you do, that's why you are here and also why I asked. I knew you would evade it. That's the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The 2020’s has indeed started off with gusto, as the age of the attention seeker...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Has anyone told ms . Claus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Kendal Jenner gave a guy a Pepsi and the internet went mad. I still dont know what the big deal was there. But messing with fcuking Santa and Mrs Clause. Just nooooo.

There are several actors at play in these ridiculous scenarios, it's not just one single monolithic conspiracy.

Companies have learned that clicks = money.

Controversy = clicks.

It's that simple. Pick something that people have no opinion on, and then inject something that's bound to stir up clicks. Easy. Nothing to do with being gay, I'd say some of the owners of these society splitters are off in their mansions reminiscing about their ad campaigns for the Nazi's. That's how much they "care".

Secondly, there are the "activists", again, a tiny group of soldiers that have so little going on in their lives that they must throw their entire existence into the de rigeur cause of the moment. They'd be the same type, again, that would have been tripping over themselves to join the hitler youth, braindead.

What always makes my eyes narrow in suspicion is anything that targets children. Such as santa clause. When your ideology is so weak that it can't stand up to adult scrutiny, and you therefore need to target the immature minds of children instead, yeah, that's an alarm bell. Just like the indoctrination programmes of the Nazi's that specifically targeted children.

And so on. There are a few malodorous parties at play here.

And it all sucks. It's about as "Christmassy" as rte playing the Texas chainsaw massacre on Christmas morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The signs have always been there. Big bearded bear like him? Coming down chimneys? A full sack ready to be emptied on one special night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

So brave , what unpopular cause will they stand up to society for next ? Women's right to vote maybe !?

*** sarcasm for those who need extra help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Of course the marketing company is looking for attention. That is literally what marketing companies are paid to do.

I'm sorry but I find it so damn funny reading through comments here and watching people get legitimately offended that a fictional magic man with a fictional magic wife could possibly have a fictional magic husband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ah yes, the prickish advertising companies deliberately sought to annoy people, and you find it so damned funny that people are annoyed.

Hilarious.

Like pushing someone off a cliff and then finding it hilarious when theyre splattered on the rocks below.

Cause and effect are so deeply clever.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Here's a really controversial suggestion:

Leave kids alone and let them enjoy the magic and wonder and innocence of Christmas.

Yeah it's political - why bring politics into a fairy story just for "right on" points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

“There are actually quite a few genuinely heartwarming Christmas ads. Sure, we know that it is done for money, but they can also raise a smile or nice feeling.”

I don’t think so, because to me they are sentimental crap. But each to their own I guess.

The predatory angle is just odd. But I never understood the Peter Pan outrage either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Not entirely sure anyone here has found it offensive but rather an exasperated air of tired cynicism. Personally I just think the video is shite- too long and low energy which is nothing to do with the content.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

about as weird as God slydogging Mary without her permission with his older than time seed. The origin of Christmas itself.

I think the ad is good, and lets be honest. If it was a woman you wouldn't describe it as hooking up or immediatedly jump to try to add pedo undercurrents to the ad.

Never said I was OK with the idea of the first part.

"Let's be honest" - you can read my mind? I didn't describe it as hooking up or immediately jump to try to add pedo undercurrents to the ad. Someone else said that that aspect is weird. I agreed that it is weird, nothing more. No idea why you brought in the "reverse the genders" angle, seeing as Santa isn't a woman and there's no relevance, but if Santa was... of course it would also be weird.

There can be quite a bit of misrepresentation and putting words into people's mouths here. I don't get it - why don't people use the information that is actually in front of them to make points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Ugh this stuff just needs to **** right off. Santa/Christmas is a thing that 3-12~ year olds can enjoy for the few years they have, get the **** out of here introducing any sort of sexuality to it.

Ah come on it's a bit funny. Look at those folk getting annoyed about it, going on about pushing sexuality. It's like they think because one Norwegian company ran one ad that a bunch of kids are going to turn gay. But they don't seem to think of Santa having a wife being about sexuality, when of course it is.

I think it's a daft ad personally, but it's amusing to watch people get mad over something so insignificant and merely shows another view point.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

ok you just quote posted it and agreed. Got it. ok.

I meant if the man who was Santa's partner was a woman...please don't misrepresent what I'm saying. I don't understand why you'd do that.

Santa isn't a real person... That's the key difference and frankly there's nothing offensive about this. Santa baby, how must children interpret the sexualization of Santa in that song? So far I've seen no evidence that children are upset meanwhile the standard outrage merchants are getting pissy about the ad.

• Advertisement

Well I definitely don't think it will turn kids gay or that they shouldn't see a same sex couple holding hands/kissing or that a lifestyle is being forced on us etc - but I just disagree with bringing identity politics into a fairy story. Just an opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

It doesn't matter that he's not a real person - the whole magic of Christmas is about Santa Claus & Mrs. Claus. There is absolutely no need for some woke cretin to rewrite that to Santa Claus kissing some fella. It would be like someone rewriting a gay love story to include a female because **** that, the old ideas of homosexuality are so boring and this is how an established homosexual character should act if a woman approaches him...

There is nothing sexual about Christmas.

Just quoted one line (for context) and agreed that yes it is weird.

I didn't deliberately misrepresent you - I made an error obviously.

Of course I'd consider it weird if Santa's partner was once a girl he gave presents to.

The "Let's be honest" mind-reading thing was to depict me as having a problem with men being with men - ah here, so incorrect it's not even funny.

I just can't find humour in this kind of thing anymore. It's the kind of humour that's essentially laughing at people for getting upset at something that was purposefully designed to upset.

It's a woeful state of affairs that there's such underlying venom within so many people that is being fanned and enflamed by these companies. And I reckon the origin is the same as the result, it's antagonism for the sake of antagonism. A snowball effect.

Looking at the United States, I just don't want to live in such a wreck of a society as that where everyone is at each other's necks and everyone is a policeman with a phone looking for outrage.

This ad is a great example of how those eejits over there got to where they are. It's not harmless and it's not funny. Nobody likes to be po-faced, but it's time people started saying "f off" to these bloody companies and advertisers trying their best to stir up trouble.

So do you think that the ones behind this advertisement thought to themselves, "this is just great, it won't cause any controversy at all"?

It's all well and good to say such a thing isn't offensive, but you'd need to be living beneath a rock your whole life to not see that it was purposefully designed to be offensive.

Okay point taken, but here's the thing. Society progresses by inclusion, that's how it's always been. As social thinking has advanced over the years a key part of this has always been to include those groups with 'less' representation. Yes, it can and will antagonize some folks, and that's normal.

Personally, I will sit back and watch at those people who are bothered and offended by the idea that Santa could have a boyfriend. It is funny to me that somebody can be so small minded and so set in their ways that the hint of Santa, who is again not real, and his legend roots are from **** Turkey and not Lapland can actually be upset by an ad for a postal service.

• Advertisement

I'm telling you man, this stuff is going to achieve the exact opposite of togetherness.

Stuff designed to offend and divide is not challenging or bringing people together. It's going to offend and divide. Nobody was wondering where santa clause sticks his dick, but they knew that it was a great angle to stir up shyt. So they did.

That's how the United States got to where it is, and if people think that place is some kind of utopian goal for a country, I want off the planet!

Eartha Kitt should not have sexualised Santa and Christmas.... Not a mention of Mrs Claus...

Santa baby, just slip a Sable under the tree for me

Been an awful good girl

Santa baby, so hurry down the chimney tonight

Santa baby, a '54 convertible too, light blue

I'll wait up for you, dear

Santa baby, so hurry down the chimney tonight

Think of all the fun I've miss

Think of all the fellas that I haven't kissed

Next year, I could be just as good

If you check off my Christmas list

I'm sure they were perfectly aware that somebody would treat it as controversial in much the same way as the introduction of gay characters on soap operas or gay penguins in a children's book outrages people. And that's more a case of bigots or idiots looking to be outraged cause this stuff is inoffensive and the message is entirely positive. Fyi, the ad has largely had a positive reception.

“Posten is an inclusive workplace with great diversity, and we would like to celebrate the 50th anniversary with this fine love story,” she added.

There has been some inevitable negative comments from some sources. Moscow-based RT bemoaned the reimagination of Santa Claus “to suit woke causes.” However, the coverage in most mainstream media around the world has been positive.

So Norway doesn't seem to care that much meanwhile the most predictable outlets such as Russia Today are annoyed. It's dickheads finding controversy where there is none. The fact that you think its purpose was to be offensive is more a reflection upon you since the actual controversy is pretty contrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I've noticed lately that many posts on boards are not there to make a point , they're there to score a point, while at the same time belittling their targets.

I'd agree that looking at what we see of American society on tv or the papers seems to suggest that the place is falling apart, but it was as bad in the 60's and 70's. No acceptance of an opposing view, just arrogance and intimidation. You're seeing it in this thread, but my limited exposure to 'society' these days doesn't suggest the heroic types who post here are as outspoken in real life. So I don't bother to engage with them here.

I find the ad crass. Someone said "Jesus is next". haha, as sure as night follows day......(and I absolutely loved The Life of Brian).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

So I initially was watching the ad and not liking it because I just wasn't relating to the boyfriend guy, just found him a bit old and a bit of a dead fish/cold. I wasn't relating to Santa either because I was just looking at him and thinking, god you just look so "old"

But my God, as the ad went on.... Sniffle. It was heartwarming! Everyone deserves love! I don't care how old you are. I don't care if you are a guy and a girl. two fellas, two girls whatever. I thought it was a lovely ad

Sorry, but that's some pile of contradictory shyte there.

So you admit that they did it to cause controversy, but the problem is the people that see it as controversial?

Nah.

You're living under a rock if you can't see that it's a bunch of shyt-stirring pricks doing what shyt-stirring pricks do.

That's the beginning of it and that's the end of it. They are the problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement