Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

If you got the charge point installed for free under the old grant you wont be eligible for a new grant. If you paid for it yourself then you will be eligible for a grant under the new car.

Is the charge point untethered? If it is and you have, as you said, confirmed the same cable with your car on another charge point then it doesnt leave many options but to get someone to open it up and take a look.

You could try power cycling it by flipping the switch on your consumer unit in the house and then try it again but thats just a stab in the dark really.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭The Mist

Thank you! I will give it a go just in case and good to know the grant isnt there. It makes sense, i wasn't planning on using it anyways unless the repair cost was quite high!

Thanks again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Does anybody have any suggestions as to why I can't connect to the Eo via the app? It isn't transmitting it's network signal. I've tried with 2 android phones and my iPad but no joy. Nothing shows doing WiFi scans either on the 3 devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Isn’t the EO supposed to join your home wifi and serve as a node on it? I don’t think you’re supposed to connect to it directly.

Thanks for answering, initially you connect to it by connecting to the network it creates, once you're in you can connect to your home network. Two different methods are shown, one is where you power of and back on after 30 seconds, then start the process in the app, scan the QR code and search for the Eo network, that fails with device not found. The second method is restart etc, wait 3 minutes and then start the process in the app, it also fails with the same error, device can't be found. I think it's internal WiFi has failed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

We just had the EO Pro Mini 2 installed by a very nice man from KN on behalf of Electric Ireland.

He got me into the app and said that under site and session details it should show the amps under "site consumption" even though we have no charger cable (untethered) or car yet, as it would be just what the site is pulling.

It's still showing zero. Is that normal? Or should it show someone regardless of having the car charging.

Also - can only one person have the charger tied to an app? my partner tried to download the app but it said she didn't have permission after scanning the QR code on the charger itself.

When my app was working it showed 0 until you started charging, it then showed the rate of charge in Kw/h.

Okay good, that's what I assumed but he made it sound like "site consumption" in the app should show something even if not charging. Maybe I misunderstood.

Just signed into the app on another device with same login details and it says site consumption 3a.

Still shows 0 on my phone but probably won't worry too much until we actually have a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

• Advertisement

Looks good alright. Think I'm about to pull the trigger on a Hypervolt from ecarinfra. Had a survey today and as hoped stupidly straightforward install is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

the Andersen is very tidy! Where did they hide the isolator?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

Got one installed by them a few weeks back. They did a great job and the unit is nice and neat

No isolator needed apparently, as it's within 2 meters of a dedicated rcb. Another benefit of the meter box installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

That’s not true. An isolator is required as specified in page 6 of this link.

im surprised a company regularly installing charge points aren’t complying with this basic regulation

https://safeelectric.ie/contractors/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2021/03/MarchNewsletterSafeElecFinal-1.pdf

Out of interest, are you a qualified electrician? I'm certainly not. The installation was carried out by a Registered Electrical Contractor (RECI) and a well established company, they're probably not basing their sole approach on a newsletter from March and most likely have greater access to more detailed guidance, training and regulation specification then gets published on the site.

I just did 15 minutes of reading there (so obviously now I'm an expert) and it seems all the newsletter said is that an isolator needs to be installed within 2 meters. Another 15 minutes of reading suggest Isolators come in a variety of shapes and sizes. I believe the position taken by the installer is that the RCB in the main unit is a Isolator and therefore meets the recs as the unit is installed within two meters. This position that an overcurrent device meets and exceeds the requirements of ‘selectivity’ is something outlined in an earlier newsletter which looks at Isolators in depth. I note that my installer put in an RCBO for the charger but the newsletter you linked to appears to just have an RCB. I think their read of things is reasonable and just because it's now how the jobbers at KN networks do things doesn't mean it's wrong tbh. Anyway, I'm happy to admit I'm not the professional here, I paid someone who was.

yes I’m a rec. the regulations state that all appliances require an isolator within 2mts and be readily accessible. The mcb is not an isolator and is also not readily accessible if you have to open a meter box door and a cover on the distribution board. I just linked this newsletter as a convenient way for you to see what’s required

Well then I cannot argue with you and defer to your knowledge, I will say that the manufacturer website for the RCBO says that it provides Isolation... So I guess that is the hill the installer has chosen to stand on. I'd agree it's not readily accessible (Is that actually a reg? Seems subjective), being within the cabinet and all. I understand these are safety devices and actually was just reading about a lad in the UK with a similar set up who had an electrical fire at the charger and no way to isolate it other than pulling the meter fuse. I'm not at all sure what an isolator right in beside the charger would get in in that instance either though.

edit: found the reg:

554.3.5 A socket-outlet that is not readily accessible, e.g. under or behind an appliance or a kitchen unit, shall be provided with a readily accessible means of isolation, e.g. an isolating switch mounted nearby and suitably labelled. 

Its definitely more accessible than the examples referenced, but would I call it readily accessible? They could have installed an Isolator switch within 2 meters in my hall. Anyway.

Post edited by Manion on

isolator reg 555.1.2 and 537.2 are more relevant

it definitely wouldn’t be permitted to have the isolator inside the house even though it could be within 2mts

Having looked up both regs (537.2 appears British?) it's not really a obvious to me (With my 15 + 15 minutes of research) they aren't compliant. But shrug.

• Advertisement

I’ve pointed out the regulations and explained as best I can and whilst it may not be obvious to you hopefully nothing goes wrong and an accessible isolator will not be required in an emergency. There’s numerous previous posts with attached photos showing correctly installed chargers and isolators.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Where is the best place to buy a charger without instillation included? I am looking to purchase a Zappi or EO mini and have it installed by my regular electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Lets be honest, isolators are silly in the context that anyone can disconnect your car charging and additionally looks naff. The charger is essentially a 32amp socket. I understand the regs but its a silly reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭crisco10

If I want to be future proof with regard to solar pv… is the zappi my only option?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Just a quick update on my experience. Electric Ireland installer arrived yesterday and I was told that they couldn’t install a type 2 tethered charger as our car is type 1. The best he could do was install an untethered charger for us as it’s not advised to use adapters to convert from type 2 to 1 🙄

Fuming with the electric Ireland rep who said this would be an option and also the 2nd rep who finalised the order even though they knew it was a type 1 car that we had

We went ahead with that anyway but now we still can’t charge our bloody car at home without running an extension lead out the window. We’ll get sorted eventually but is it any wonder there’s so much resistance to switching to EV with faulty towers-esque outcomes like this 🤦‍♂️

I bought my car from www.electricautos.ie and they appear to be direct suppliers of Zappis at 900e after VAT. (Not certain if a great price / standard / terrible)

Would it make more sense for your regular electrician to buy from them and fit?

Why can't you use the car's cable that you'd use at a 22Kw public charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

No, several others support Solar integration too.

Hypervolt

Andersen

Elli (i.e. VW, Seat etc) has the hardware included but the software isnt ready yet

And Im sure there are a few more too.

The Andersen has solar support. You can configure how much solar to use to power the car and you can have overrides as well. From reading around the zappi has a lot more modes for combination of Solar and Battery and Grid.

Re isolators, I can see its debated over and over on the forum. I noticed the other night after watching another charger installation, that it doesn't seem to be a requirement at all in the UK if the unit itself has overload protect and can be locally isolated. So I'm not worried tbh. Frankly my set up seems safer than what the minimum. I've a mains isolator duel pole, I've an RCB going back to the house consumer unit and I've an RCBO for the charger on top of the overload protection in the device itself. The minimum setup provides for far less protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

It didn’t come with one. 3 pin only. Pain in the face

Edit: maybe I should have mentioned it’s a PHEV?

Advertisement