Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

I don't believe the Chinese story for two reasons. To explain why, just look at two of it's neighbours Japan and Korea. Both of these countries have already achieved what China is supposed on the verge of achieving - become a fully developed country. Now look at how Japan and Korea did it -

• Consumer consumables (cars, electronics, etc) made by local companies which started out cheap and cheerful but reliable then went up the value chain (Japan - Toyota, Nissan, Honda, JVC, Panasonic, etc, ) (Korea - Hyundai, Samsung, Kia, etc) What are the Chinese equivalents. China is now the workshop of the world but mainly manufacturing products for Western companies. As costs rise, China is as vulnerable to offshoring now as the West was 10/20 years ago.
    • During their rise, both Japan (70's/80's) and Korea(90's) had significant budget surplus's. China in contrast has been funding their current rise thru debt - they have huge debts. So their current model (funding growth thru debt) cannot last much longer. How is their economic model going to adapt as relations with the West deteriorates and all Xi cares about is hanging on to power.

I am certainly not a bull on how this is going to play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭antimatterx

$BABA hitting $131. Its lowest price in almost 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

China versus Ireland. Using USA Dollar $ to Compare

Debt per Citizen - China $3,635 Ireland $49,294

Debt as a % of GDP - China 45.58% Ireland 67.96%

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Unofficial/unrecorded money lenders form a significant part of consumer debt in China. There's a big shadow debt system there. Does your source account for this?

Also, is it GDP (PPP)?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

You didn't include a source for your "facts".

Good chat. 🙄 I'm new here so it's good to know who to take seriously and who to ignore. Thanks for that.

This is the bit I like;

If you spend $1,000,000 a day it would take you 30912 years and 0 month to spend all China debt.

China's debt problem

China’s debt has risen dramatically in the past decade, largely the result of credit fed to state-owned enterprises in the wake of the global financial crisis. To some, the debt mountain represents a threat to China’s stability and even the world’s economic health, while others argue such fears are overdone as most of the country’s debt is state owned and therefore, they say, manageable.

How bad is it?

China’s debt is more than 250 percent of GDP, higher than the United States. It remains lower than Japan, the world’s most indebted leading economy, but some experts say the concern is that China’s debt has surged at the sort of pace that usually leads to a financial bust and economic slump.

The worrying part

However, when government debt is removed from the comparison, you see a very different picture. China’s corporate and household debt has risen sharply and this is where most worries are focused.

So to sum up, Chinese government debt is low but debt from Chinese companies to the Chinese government is huge. As these Chinese companies are essentially state owned enterprises, I think it is a bit disingenuous to not count this as Chinese government debt. But hey feel free!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hellfish

I'm looking at transferring my Stocks and Shares ISA to one that'll allow US stocks to be held. Any recommendations of brokers that are good value? I'm looking at IG, does anyone on here use them and if so would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

This new variant is causing havoc in the markets again...The EURO50 down 3.5% and S&P futures down nearly 2%.

• Advertisement

Aviation shares down hugely.

Hopefully they stay depressed until this month's pay comes through so I can buy in to the shares that I'm trying to build up a holding in.

All my stocks down big. lol

I'm going back to the red overall...again!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Sold about €2k of Teledoc shares yesterday - the only bloody thing that's up today

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭jams100

If true, yet another reason why I'm staying well clear of Chinese stocks, dont know how some people have majority of their portfolio in Chinese stocks and sleep at night (Especially when owning ADR shares).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Only 1 in the green today, a vix etf. But on the down side im still a shedload down on it overall

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Likewise....this and lemonade are breaking my heart everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I thought those vix ETFs always go down over time? Didn't think they were meant as a long term hold

Stick to value investing and you won't loose long term. Well proven at this stage by the top investors. Too many trying to make a quick buck short term.

Take for example when Buffett piled into Apple stock. In Q1 2018, he bought Apple at $41.95, which is 15x times Free Cash Flow. How many of those top growth companies can you buy now at 15x FCF. Patience is the answer.

DATAROMA Stock Activity History

Tesla is currently 105x Free Cash Flow TSLA Tesla, Inc. Stock Quote (finviz.com)

Google is 29x FCF GOOGL Alphabet Inc. Stock Quote (finviz.com)

So you're saying if I can identify what will become the biggest company in the world I'll do alright?

Sounds easy

You're reading too much into it.

Didi went ahead with an IPO when they were told not to, this is them getting punished for that.

Too many people brainwashed into the thinking China bad and US good. Yet, where did Nikola scam investors? Where did GME investors get shafted by not being allowed sell their shares? Where did Enron scam happen? Where did Retrophin (Martin Shkreli) happen? Where the hell is Elon Musks tweets affecting TSLA stock happening? Where are the crazy high EV crazes happening? Where did Jordan Belforts scam happen?

Why do people like the US market? Because it keeps going up. Why does it keep going up? Because of external interference, the same thing people criticise China for. Cheap money and money printing like the world is ending which is potentially creating an historic bubble! In 2018 when the fed increased interest rates slightly, the market went down 15-20% and because of this, the Fed reversed their decision to pump the market back up!

• Advertisement

Well I'm a growth investor, I'm not financially savvy enough to work out the financial value of companies to be a value investor. Apple is such an extreme success story, using that as the example for why value investing works, you're making it sound a lot easier than it is

The point I'm making is you have to put a value on stocks first regardless of the growth rate of its revenue. I'm not saying its easy. Far from it. But at least, that's the starting point.

If you can be sure to a high degree of certainty that a company will be there in 10 or 20 years and you can project out its cash flows in those years, then you can make a fair stab at what its stock is worth.

In a nutshell, you'll only make money by buying cheap stocks.

I have looked at 100s of stocks and I honesty believe there is no value there at the moment. During the last Covid dip, I bought as I saw value, but that opertunity is long gone.

I'm waiting for the next one.

I agree with most of what you're saying but definitely disagree that the only way to make money is to buy cheap stocks. I'd much prefer to pay up for a a quality business, even if it looks overvalued

Didi went ahead with an IPO when they were told not to, this is them getting punished for that.

Ok you accept that if any Chinese company goes against the wishes of the CCP, they will be punished. Today Didi, tomorrow ????

The rest of you post about scandals in the US market is totally irrelevant. Buying shares is caveat emptor.

If your BABA "conviction" is based on your comments in this post, then I leave you to it and wish you all the best. You will either be very rich or very poor

As private investors it is difficult to value companies but there is a simpler approach. Sometimes large companies share price crashes and the market identifies reasons for this. If you think that this is a temporary problem and the company will grow again, then eventually the share price will rise. If it is more structural then it is unlikely to. Example -

(hopefully temporary) IAG is down 15% Friday due to Omnicron and 30% in November (due to Covid resurgence). If you think Covid will peter out at some point in the next 4 months then this is a buying opportunity (actually quite a lot of buying opportunities in a number of actors due to this)

(structural) Johnson Matthey - manufacturer of catalytic converters (dying industry) they invested a lot of money in battery technology 100s millions and bailed out as they realised they could not compete. (share price down 30% since they announced this).

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Fruks

It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow - some initial reports from SA suggesting that the new variant is very mild in terms of symptoms - if true, this could actually herald the beginning of the end of the pandemic IMO rather than being the bad news it is currently perceived as.

Yes I'm aware of the power the CCP has. The US also has the same power. I think most people would love if the US got involved and broke up big tech which will probably happen eventually. The US banned Huawei from the US.

The US and China both fiddle with companies that impact/not impact the markets.

Oil is completely manipulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Fruks

You’ve completely contradicted yourself there though - the fact that the US has not broken up big tech is because it doesn’t interfere in the free market in the way that China is happy to.

I truly hope BABA turns out well for you and I will delighted for you if it does, but I have to say that personally my number one, most absolutely unbreakable rule is to never, ever, ever buy stock in any Chinese company.

• Advertisement

The US don't interfere in the free market? So what exactly was Trump trying to force Bytedance to sell TikTok US operations to Oracle?

EDIT: I have no interest in a back and forth on China stocks. I'm in, not trying to convince anyone to get in.

Advertisement