Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post-War FUN: The Late Late Toy Show-Friday 26th November

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

We enjoyed it here. Definitely much better than last year. Tubs seemed less hyper and the kids were great.

I really enjoyed Shark Boy.

Couldn't get over that he was only 8. Has a good head on his shoulders and a good sense of humour.

I enjoyed it. The LLS never appeals to me but I really like Ryan when he hosts this.

If I had one gripe it would be that I think the show should start earlier in the evening. All the hype is about watching it on the Friday night but loads of kids must fall asleep before it even starts.

Who are the bad people forcing you to listen to his songs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

As a parent of a child diagnosed with ADHD, this **** is extremely offensive.

Some kids are just rude or "bold" .

Stop thinking you can judge whether a child has adhd or autism

It's not easy to even get an appointment for an assessment. Also costs hundreds when you finally get 1.

Re. The LLTS , it was decent

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I can understand that but one of the things my little one gets excited about is the fact that she gets to stay up past her bedtime. She lasted about an hour/1.5 hours tonight before dropping off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Errs, half the craic for them is getting to stay up late as a once off. My 3 wouldn’t be bothered if it was on earlier in the evening to be honest…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

Started off very poorly, cringeworthy in fact, but I thought it got better in the second half, mainly rescued by some great kids.

Good man Ed, out of our busy schedule to help the kids.

Not many would do it. His Music is fantastic as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rolling Stone

The amount of whinging, negativity and pessimism on this entire thread is staggering. Too many film critics expecting a 95% rated film on Rotten Tomatoes with Oscar level acting.

Not perfect by any means but there was plenty on offer tonight to entertain and uplift. Great to see Ed Sheeran also. I recall he was also on a couple of years ago also and as opposed to cynically questioning his motives, why can’t people say well done to both him and RTE? He seems like a genuinely nice, down to earth guy.

Anyhow, I enjoyed it and it’s an event where I’m going to focus on the positives as opposed to the negatives. The moaners on this thread can go to bed and squeeze their fidgets …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

So did I. Much more so than last year.

All the kids were great. I was in awe at the talent of so many of them.

Loved especially the harpist, the Lion King singers and dancers and the DJ with

his brother and dancers.

Was thrilled for the beautiful girl from Ennis when Ryan told her that she and her

family would be going to Paris. The look of sheer delight on her face was a joy to

behold. Hope it won't be too long before she gets there!

As one of the many thousands of people who love Ed Sheeran, and his music!, I was

very happy to see him back on the Toy Show. He has a good heart and deserves all

the success he has achieved so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

I think Kathleen Watkins is finished with the harp, she’s on the Budweiser now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Sorry guys ... was watching delayed . So wanted to avoid spoilers.

Last few years have been outstanding...Good move ro be less woke and more natural.

But was just a show with massive understanble restrictions

I would give a massive pass as preparation for the show must have been very different with full covid.

Anyone actually in a workplace knows how hard it is. So under them circumstances fantastic achievement. So many people working from home have forgotten what it takes to actually work in the workplace.

Ed could have sung a 2nd song ...but fair play to him getting involved in a totally naff section.

Overall fair play to Ryan , gave it 100 % in difficult circumstances... the piece with the girl at ground level , was beautiful and very clever..

Is his best performance every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 B lotto 79

Decent show this year, best in a long time. I mean it’s the toy show! Only criticism I’d have is that it wasn’t very ‘Christmasy’ but it is still November …

On a serious note, I don’t get the sarcastic, cynical commentary on the kids - chatting casually about whether you reckon a kid is in the spectrum…. I mean I get that it’s an anonymous internet thread but like, leave it out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mod: deleted a few posts, have left a slew of others that were reported, though wanted to nuke em. This forum is usually quite quiet, moderation wise ... except with the Late Late of course - doubly for the Toy Show. Ironic that Christmas brings out the begrudgery and misanthropy.

While the craven whinging about "box ticking" doesn't break any specific charter items, I do think perhaps instead of wasting your evening seeking offence like an edge-lord, you instead find a fulfilling hobby next year. It's a particularly miserable individual that snarks and dumps on a bunch of kids, picked simply to represent our patchwork society, having a bit or fun to cheer the nation.

Some of ye might want to remember who the show is for.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Well done Ryan, take a well earned couple of months off now...sure come back in February....we might bump you up to 600k a year for 2022!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I was left underwhelmed by the show this year and preferred last year's show. I wasn't as invested in it and felt that once again, there was almost no time spent talking about the toys in any detail. There were a few great kids for sure but the books section was terrible. Each kid held up a book for about 5 seconds and then did a party piece!

It's also interesting that donations to the RTÉ appeal went from 6.5M last year, down to 3.3M. I know there will be donations still to come but this is way off last year's target. I wonder did rising fuel prices and other areas of inflation have an impact on keeping wallets closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭recyclops

My biggest gripe is Ryan kept harping on about buying local and shouting Irish product every ten minutes without actually naming the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭McGarnigle2020

Haven't watched it in years before last night. As a working class man I'm as far from the "ders no facilities" "everyone in X estate is salt of the earth" nonsense of the PBP (I always find it ironic that the most decrepit stretch of road in all of Dublin is the coast road north of Clontarf, probably the wealthiest route into town in all of Dublin) but there's something very bizarre and a bit unfair about taking over an inner city housing estate to film a few imports from Foxrock for your piece. A few dozen kids there watching and wondering why they weren't asked, and they'd be right.

There always seemed to be three stock characters when I was growing up, three individual kids:

• the out and out farmer
    • the posh young one
    • the level 12 Dub. The one whos accent and mannerisms made Dustin look like Daithi O'Shea.

They seem to have moved away from this.

The fact the audience seemed to have about 40 people, and risk averse RTE probably didn't tank them with free drink after the moral outrage about the retirement party in 2020, really didn't help matters. But hey, it's 2021, the NPHET junta banned fun for all ages 18 months ago and they aren't gonna bring it back any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭McGarnigle2020

They received 7 million this year. 3.3 million is the reported figure- the Cavan auctioneer lad needed paying, damned if he was doing the gig for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Overall the kids made it - especially for me the harp playing girl and the girl that got the Paris trip.

but as a toy show and event it felt way way downgraded from what I remember- the set looked unbelievably cheap, small (are they using a smaller studio?) and just sort of amateurish. Compared to some of the big event spectacle ones I remember it felt like they were only spending a fraction of previous years. The details of the toys also completely missing- how much, brand, where to buy etc- he doesn’t even tell you what it is. Feels very much like Ryan’s toyshow and not in a good way. Can’t stand him

Totally agree - first 45 mins to 1 hour were dreadful

My big gripe is, where were all the TOYS? It’s not The Late Late Party piece show it’s the toy show and it was really lacking - a lot less toys and pretty crappy ones at that. It’s over hyped at this stage - and some of the toys they did have didn’t work- it’s as if no one thought to change the batteries after rehearsals - it was simpler in Gay”s and Pat”s time but in some ways far better- the kids were the stars and there was lots of toys to see. Now you have Ryan running around like a child filling the screen with his frenzied energy to make up for the fact that there’s feic all toys on the toy show.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

The kids were great this year but for God's sake, get rid of all the variety acts and showcase some toys. It is the Toy show after all.

Tubs as usual was shite. He has a horrible way with children

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭bloopy

The book section was very poor.

Usually the children actually review the books. Not just mention them, then perform a party piece.

I think you’ve put your finger on the reason why it was a crap toy show- The supply of great toys was completely lacking- it was like looking at the toy offerings a supermarket might have- generic teddy bears, some blow bubble machine and a dog that didn’t obey commands because he only understood German 😀

To be honest Una Walsh’s harp playing blew me away. Had to watch it a few times back. Wow

The ride on toys are usually amazing - very cheap and lacking compared to other years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I thought it was his best Toy Show yet.

Toy level was better than last year in my opinion.

I found last year a bit of a miserable. I know the kids were nice but I found the balance better this year.

I would like it to be a tad more festive tough if I'm being honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭riddles

Tubs got to squeeze in a big word discombobulate and then tell people to “look it up!”

Appropriately condescending choice of word as most viewers were left discombobulated by the end it.

At least he can say “I get paid for this crap, what’s your excuse?”

Some of the kids were brilliant. Set, show, theme and toys very below par. Defo not the best one (in my opinion)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's one of the highest rated TV shows of the year.

I doubt anyone in Smyth's HQ is watching it and reading the comments here going

"they're right, it's rubbish"

"Tubridy is a pain. How much does he get paid again ?"

"Oh look, ticking the diversity box again"

"The audience look bored"

I have no idea why Smyths pulled out but I doubt it's because they thought it was crap.

Set and theme do very little for me to be honest. I believe they should be more festive.

I liked they didn't focus to much an a theme.

But they did! It was all the Jungle-book but it just looked cheap and didn’t work. The set was terrible looking

It clearly is not paying Smyths to do it. The return on investment not worth it. That’s how companies prioritise their marketing

• Advertisement

Well have to agree to disagree.

PS I don't think I said I liked the set tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

The toy show thread, divides opinion as much as the "will you wear a poppy this year?" thread. Every year. 😆

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• They could have a children’s show any time of year, maybe even blast off the end of season with it, when they could exploit games, books etc for enjoying in the summer holidays for that matter.

The Late Late should do a Christmas special, if Christmas hasn’t been cancelled by #wokefolk, which could entertain both adults and children. Leave out ALL tear-jerking for one night, have people on with funny reminiscences about Christmas, have some talented children on giving us some music as on the Toy Show, all gave Christmas songs and a Christmas set. Should be last show before Christmas and NO sad stories. Even people with sad stories, cancer etc want to be entertained and put the sorry stuff to back of the mind, if they can, for a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The "Toy" Show is no longer a toy show. It's an annual musical themed show filled with Ryan Tubridy's ego where the kids are reminded they have some disability or illness where Tubs tries to tug on the heart strings of the viewers and/or get tears from the child or hyper kids with the aim of going viral.

The only Christmas related stuff was Tubridy's jumper and a few of the kids wearing Christmas jumpers.

Gone are the days when a kid might review a PS2 or Xbox Kinect or Nintento Wi. Why is that? Is it because Smyths/Ken Black don't sponsor it anymore? Or is it the direction from Tubridy so "not to have pressure put on less well off families". My opinion is it is the latter, although that might have been a good idea during the recession a decade ago, most of the country is doing well and those less well off who can't afford a PS5 or whatever fancy toy they have on, can learn to manage their kids expectations.

I remember Pat Kenny always ended the show with a look at some toys for the grown ups. I remember him driving a big hovercraft out the back.

Now we're left with Ryan Tubridy's cringey "puns" and musical performances where he's autotuned to the tits so much he sounds like Stephen Hawking on the X Factor.

As for those saying their kids loved it. Kids will think whatever they're told to think, they're highly impressionable. They believe in Santa after all. If they see the TV ads hyping it up and parents hype it up and then other kids are hyped up then it doesn't really matter what happens on the show, they'll love it. Tubs could take a poo on a table and they'd still love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I went on twitter and saw their cousins spamming their insta pages on every tweet that mentioned them...very offputting and against the rules of Instagram to have accounts so young anyways.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Revolut - not sure if mentioned- are adding 100,000 to the Toy Show Appeal as the app crashed yesterday.

They will also match, upto 1million euro, of donations made through the app over the weekend.

That's will surely push it higher than last yeas total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Nearly €1.9m donated through revolut alone so far

• They’d find it hilarious if he did the latter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Who ever came up with the Lion King theme needs to be evaluated, and drug tested as soon as asap as possible. It's beyond bonkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

They pulled out for the same reasons all other companies make changes to their businesses. They didn't think it was value for money.

Typically they fill a set full of toys, only a handful of which would be featured. They've likely made the determination that it wasn't driving sufficient sales for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Christmas toy show except it hardly had any toys and no Xmas songs etc...

Maybe covid restrictions had impact but why no Xmas songs? If its because its nov then why not wait till first Friday in December.

If they wanted to go lion King then at least have it Xmas themed one.

Show more toys with kids talking about and rating those toys. Should be sports section. Should be a book section where they review new kids books. Should be a gaming section

Parents have been packing out Smyth’s toys since early October in fear there would be a shortage so I’d say most toys are bought at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zambrotta11

Why was there no competition this year? Maybe someone has answered this already but I don't know how to search the thread in the new site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I can't grasp the Lion King connection to Christmas, is it staring me in the face. ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement