Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Who's going to be the next boogeyman after the %of the population that haven't been vaccinated either die our get natural immunity, probably the parents that won't vaccinate their children I guess.

Vaccination in the general population under 50 without any co-morbities is a waste of time to be fair, given the vaccines don't afford you much protection from getting covid and transmitting it after 3 months of the 2nd dose letting your lowered aged population acquire natural immunity is the better long term strategy, given the new anti-virals coming to the market, hospitalizations and deaths in these groups will be tiny..

They have a good % of their population already boostered, they where the poster child for the vaccine working and lauded for it till it went sideways, just like in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Is it known of the unvaccinated in icu, how many are in there since before the vaccine was available to them?

And also what percentage might be pregnant women moved into icu as a precaution rather than someone actually in there purely for covid?

interesting piece of data, if you look at the death rate in-vaccinated people for October/November it's extremely high, again the median age of death is 80 with a huge amount having co-morbities, all the outrage over the older age groups dying of covid seems to be just a after-thought now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Im Not saying anyone is the bogeyman.

You shared a ridiculous article backing up your opinion against vaccination being effective and now your trying to change your position.

vaccination is effective in preventing hospitalisation and serious illness, the numbers proves it beyond doubt.

you quote back retrospective stuff as if somehow you could have predicted better what the government should have done, well someone quoting a country as having a vaccination rate of 118% doesn’t instil much confidence in planning a response to a pandemic if they can’t understand basic math. Big deal it’s going to take a third dose that wasn’t initially expected, things change, this sort of pandemic hasn’t been dealt with before on this scale, yes effective tablet antiviral medications would seem a great tool, but their successful development couldn’t be relied on so government made decisions to act with the tools at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Did you actually read the article ?

I have no idea as to the veracity or otherwise of the stuff in it but harping on about the 118% vaccination rate when even someone with a basic grasp of comprehension would see what was meant by it and why the figure was quoted makes you look rather silly .

Even the author calls it peculiar in his own words .

For anyone who is wondering what it's about then at least read it .

Have no real opinion on what's in it ,its rather the way some people ( on all sides of the covid stuff) dismiss out of hand anything that doesn't fit into their world view .

Post edited by paddysdream on

• Advertisement

Look it up yourself, some boy for destroying news sources that don’t fit your narrative ffs…

New variant and new levels of hysteria on the way with it....

Just what we need to sell us a new set of restrictions...

Just in time, for governments to start buying up the new anti-viral pills that will be the new saviour of the covid pandemic....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Quite clear now that life for theforseable will be anything but normal ….vacines are a help with serious illness and cutting hospital nos but there effictivness against its spread appear low …new variants emerging etc …our biggest issue is nephet ,the govt and the constant mixed messages ,slow reaction and there handling of our health service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

On a big site at the moment im only half jabbed i dont know whos what way working beside me if there younger than me they might not be jabbed and if there 50+ the vaccine immunity could have waned off on them by now. Ive done three antigen tests this week so far two as routine and one as a precaution but the precautionary one wasnt done immediately it was to be done the following morning entering the site we were told as opposed to one exiting site that night. Im allowed in here regardless of my vaccination status but on paper im not supposed to go to the local tonight where there might be 20 others there at best. Still cant make head nor tails of it.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Looks like people are getting covid fatigue at this stage.

Notice a lot less doing the hand sanitising thing in supermarkets recently.

Our local pubs are back to February 2020 since the summer ie walk in the door ,sit at the bar ,no masks, certs etc even mentioned .It is actually a topic that rarely even crops up at this stage and much of the clientele would be in the higher risk category with age .

Attended a wedding recently and the hotel never looked for any blue cards or movement permits .Masks in the lobby ok and you were supposed to wear one when going to the bar but that kinda died after a few hours .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Went to an open night in dkit on Wednesday night. No entry if no covid cert

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Covid certs are only required to get into pubs, restaurants, cinemas and nursing homes afaik, it doesn’t sound right that DKIT had the right to refuse entry to an open night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

"Blue cards or movement permits " made me laugh that. Don't be giving the lunatics any ideas with that.

There fit for anything now after the last 20 odd months & the trash can media planting seeds in their heads for what the next move should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The new variant is twice as transmissable as delta so we'll have to be more careful

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Thought you said before once you got the jabs you were going to live life to the fullest and forget about any restrictions or precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Some Previous variants of concern have come to nothing so hopefully this one will be the same.

I read where it already accounts for 90% of infections in the area where it was discovered which would be worrying. Having already spread to a number of countries including Belgium.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

They don't know yet whether the Pitzer is good enough to prevent against omnicron variant, I don't mind taking the vaccine every mth if it's needed and when the omnicron vaccine comes I 'll be on to it

I'm still working with the shoebox depot, three weeks now, and seldom wear a mask and meet many different people.

Also was out twice in the last week, no masks either time.

OH with her science background says that the way Omnicron is made up it is twice as virulent and twice as transmissable as Delta

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

You better put that mask back on so !!!!!!!

seeiously tho I’m no Covid freak nor someone who thinks about it very often but wearing a mask ,sanitising hands etc is just something I do now and will continue to do so ….got vaccinated recently due to certain circumstances and the fact u can’t go too many places without the cert ….I still believe masks sanitising etc gives me better protection against getting it …..but in likelihood I do get it vacine will hopefully stop me getting v sick or ending up in hospital ….

im back going out for something to eat ,a pint ,going for a coffee etc ,a lad has to live too ,way too many are living in fear of this ,our shambles of a govt ,nephet and the media have the shite frightened out of the country .tv ,radio ,internet it’s constant Covid depression …be great have a blanket ban on anything Covid related for a bit

Best analogue I'd seen on the new variant was by doctor Robert Malone he summed it up yesterday that if the preliminary findings on this variant are true we are basically back in time to February 2020 as it totally by passes the vaccine, but the saving grace is anyone with natural immunity should be able to fight it off.....

Rte/Tony and Co are going to be having kittens on the back of the above though, the hysteria that's going to occur in the media over the next few weeks will be fever pitch

• Advertisement

By the time they actually reformulate the vaccine it will be too late. 100 days to start producing it, then the backlog of actually getting it out... we'll be on to a new variant by then and start the process all over again, while presumably living under more restrictions being told just another few weeks and we'll be on top of it and heading back to normality...

There is still no logical way out of the hysteria that we have been trapped in if we are to be consistent with the messaging put out by the experts in that time.

The only way is to grow a pair of balls and get on with life but so many people are so mentally scarred, they will need serious therapy for them to ever get them back to normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

How can you say that to the people dieing in covid wards.have you ever being in a covid ward go in to one before you throw out comments like that it just might change yourmind.

We all want to go back to normal but saying we should all get on with it is stupid.if we all get on with it there will be countless unnecessary deaths.

Have patients if they can put a man on the moon they will get to the bottom of this it is going to take yrs not months

It's simply not possible to get on top of this.

The harder you push against it, the more instability is created.

Balance is what's needed and that isn't achieved by heavy restrictions, high vaccine coverage and use of antibody treatments.

Allowing broad based immunity and accepting that a small minority will die is (and has always been) the best way forward.

We have done more harm than good over the past two years, the worst is still ahead of us...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

If Tony and the lads are spinning lies about the effectiveness of the vaccines what’s to stop them lying about the numbers in hospital? Last week 45 died, 41 of those were fully vaccinated and 4 partially vaccinated no unvaccinated deaths. The thing about Tony and the boys is that they can’t be questioned other than cherrypicked questions from RTE.

The vaccines in fairness bought time, re older people dying of the virus/underlying health conditions , but now we are seeing it wane, if and its a big if the new variant gets around the vaccine, we will expirance crazy high death rates in the most vunrelable age/health wise, it will hit us like a tsunami though, as compared to a country like Sweden/ areas in America like florida, that have had higher death /infection rates all along but it was manageable and now means a good proportion of the population has natural immunity, so leaves them now heading into the next few weeks/months not having to deal with the same scale of infections and demands placed on the healthcare system compared to Ireland

So the vaccinated are dying because the vaccine has waned, I’ve heard a few people say the same but it still doesn’t explain how the non vaccinated are not dying when they have none of the supposed protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

Assume most unvaccinated are younger with no known existing health issues

So why are the hse government and media pushing young people to get vaccinated then? I’d also imagine that there are more than just young people not vaccinated.

Because it ticks a box.

There never was any other basis to justify it and plenty of perfectly valid reasons not to vaccinate the non vulnerable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I know of a 76 year old who got covid recently . He's a farmer, a tough man. Not vaccinated. They didn't believe in covid. He has a very long battle ahead of him

Advertisement