Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

This leads to believe lads would be in a strong negotiating position especially for very big cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Actually on smaller or poorer grading cattle it may well be a higher percentage of the price compared to a better quality animal.

A big P grading Friesian bullock weighting 750 kgs will have as large a hide and the same for Liver, heart and lungs as a similar weight Continental.

However he will only kill 360 ish kgs DW therefore the 5th quarter makes up a higher proportion of his final pri e.

On a continental the same weight killing 410 kgs it valuing his 5th quarter at 200 euro it's 49c/ kg,

On a Fr killing 360 it's 55c/ kg

Poorer finished cattle would again have a higher percentage of offal than a better finished animal.

Cows and heavy mature bulls similar. On a big heavy bull who went in at 3/ kg the 5th quarter make up a huge percentage of his value

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

What are lads getting for Angus heifers grading O+/R-?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

I would recon the hide value be more valuable than white or red offal given it's weight.

According to the agriland article it's approx 51c/ kg. Hide is 12c/ kg, red offal is 20 c/ kg and white offal is 19c/ kg

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I posted previously sometime last year about offal prices and the fact that the only available data was coming from the US. I found another article from Meat and Livestock Australia stating that hide prices have risen by 8,100% in the last 12 months. Another by product that I wasn't aware off is fetal calf blood used in the pharmaceutical industry which has risen from $45/l to $460/l. There is a lot of money been made on 5th quarter.

https://www.mla.com.au/news-and-events/industry-news/offal-prices-resurgent-in-2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I presume the quality of the hide determines the price. The hide of a 16month old bull should be softer than that of a 36month old bullock? - calf skin gloves are far more expensive than cow hide gloves.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I seem to remember reading that European hides in general aren't as good of quality as South America ones. This is because of injections, barb wire, hedges ect that are more common over here and the associated damage to the animals hide from them.

Calf skin would be velum, it would come from veal production or from calves slaughtered sub on month for Kebab's.

The rest would depend on quality, as in damage done from needles, horns and general pucking it would be much the same accross the board IMO.

However you have to factor in that the hide only makes up 23% of the 5th quarter value, the offal makes up the rest. This is more dependent on animal size relative to carcase weight the lower the killout% the more the offal will impact the price.

The most important part is a muscle in the third Stomach( omasum) that is larger in cattle that graze as opposed to feedlot cattle. It's a Japanese delicacy. This is why the white offal is more valuable at present than red offal of which there would be more demand you would think ( liver, heart, lungs, Kidneys, tongue and oxtail).

Cows would have the biggest Omasum flowed by steers finished off mainly grass.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭dryan

Any Steer quotes out there for this week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭dryan

4.20 was hard got a few weeks ago. 4.15 was more the norm.

Have things changed in the last week or so?

I'd have a half a load ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭farm to fork

4.20 for heifers yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭laoismanj

Ye poor craturs. Ye may hire in diggers to pull out more hedgerow so ye have more room to spread slurry with your single farm payments. Not a fish to be got in the rivers with ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

Better off buying the digger than hiring in a lad, it’ll use up a small proportion of the single farm payment before the greedy tax man gets his hands on it. There’s only so many new tractors you can buy with it so might as well have the digger as well.

Next purchase then should be an umbilical system, it gets the slurry into the rivers a hell of a lot faster than the tanks can 👌👌

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭green daries

I remember fondly my youth and bonding with my father's and relations blocking burrows and flooding them with thick slurry to poison the vermin that are rabbits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Oh your the rascal with that one, whatever you do ,don't post that on the dairymens chit chat thread or you'll cause a hell of a stir. (Lucky no dairymen read the beef price tracker thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭High bike

What are u on about there's plenty fish in the rivers,you should ask Santa for a net and a bag of lime

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭mf240

If you cant catch fish you may buy a bit of beef for your dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭mf240

Any quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

• Advertisement

For anyone that remembers this discussion from August, got these 10 killed Tuesday. Average age 32 months old. 4 were O+, 3 R-, 2 R= and 1 R+. Average fat score 4. Average dead weight 438kgs.

9 of them weighed from 389kgs to 459 kgs and then there was 1 major outlier to the group, a big framey Charlaois and he weighed a whopping 567.6 kgs dead weight. He was the R+.

They’d have about half a ton of meal per head ate to finish them.

As I said previously they wouldn’t be my style of cattle but they definitely left money after them with the way prices are this year.

Average fat score of 4. Any 5’s? Are you sorry you didn’t move them a bit quicker?

Yea they should have been moved a few weeks earlier alright. Only one 5, he was an O+5-. They’re non QA and the agreement is they’re paying €4.05 for the R’s and €3.90 for the O’s regardless of fat score or weight so I think it’s not a bad deal. On the grid that O+5 would be down to €3.74.

That is a sh!t poor base price. 3-4 weeks ago I got 4.15 for a bunch of 6. 4.2 is available this week fairly freely it seems. Being QA and it is not a lot of hassle really pays if finishing cattle

At 4.15 the O+5- eould make 3.91/ kg. IMO with QA when the base was 4.2/ kg and above in September any of these under 30 months should have been hung. An R grading bullock with QA would have made 4.4/ kg

That big framey CH came into 2375. If you had hung him at FS3 under age at 500 DW that is at least 100-110kg LW lighter he would have made 2200. If they consumed a half a ton per head as an outlier he ate 750-1k of it or at least 250 euro of it.

That O+ 5- would have killed O=4- under age 2+ months ago at price of 4.22 assuming a base of 4.2. if you were QA

I hung a heifer a few weeks ago she was R-4-, 360DW, she made 1550, net. I had her about 14 months and she cost 490@290 kgs August last year, she probably ate 250-330 kgs of ration

QA is a gimme the first year and is not too much hassle after that

Slava Ukrainii

Don’t worry Bass, I know how to do all of them figures myself, I’ve done them all here before and I’d be saying the exact same thing as you about both the base price and being QA!

I am QA’d but them bullocks weren’t. I got €4.25 base for heifers earlier this week, R+ coming in at €4.51 per kg killing out just shy of 360kgs coming to €1,614. Got 3 kgs of meal a day for the last 3 weeks so about 60kgs per head.

The next of that batch of heifers are in the shed, they’re up to 5 kgs of meal now and they’ll be due to be hanging in early January, possibly some this side of Xmas, they’ll be 26 - 28 months old and I’ll be expecting around a 400kg carcass, mainly U grade and they’ll have max 350-400kgs per head of meal ate.

I went through them bullocks on here last August, (obviously I don’t expect you or anyone else here to remember that with it being so long ago) and they’re not my stock originally, they came through an older bachelor relative of mine. They’re not the type of stock I ever had before or would ever want to have again in future!

With the way prices are this year they left money after them but if base price was like this time last year at €3.65 they wouldn’t have been anywhere near even breaking even in my opinion. I said it at the time they were badly done IMO. They never saw a shed since they came off milk replacer and wouldn’t have ever seen much in the line of quality silage either, mainly hay in a round feeder for 5 - 6 months every winter and set stocking in the summers.

Also they did grade better than I was expecting. I thought there would have been 6 O’s and 4 R’s and certainly didn’t see any as an R+. There’s not too many places would give any more than €4.05 for a non QA 567kg carcass so for what they were I think the price was ok but just lucky it wasn’t last year I was dealing with them.

On a side note, I’d love to see the size of a steak off that big lad, I’d say a nice thick cut steak from him would feed a family😂😂 Although I’d imagine it’s a Big Mac or something like that I’d have to order to get a taste of him!

What’s the run of it for next week? Is 4.25 to be got for bullocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭MfMan

Heard a rumour of €4.30 down south, could be loose talk though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

No, that's what I got this week down here.

Advertisement