Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Too early to write him off at this stage but my instinct is that he will disappear permanently into the lower leagues. There was a huge buzz about him 2 years ago but he hasn't developed much at all since then and seems an average enough league 1 player at the moment. There are 5 guys in the U22 age bracket that have shown more than Parrott. That is even ignoring his links to criminals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Yet going by this guy, whose a first team scout and recruitment analyst for Wigan he's one of the top performing U23s in the EFL. Me thinks that last sentence in your post clouds your judgement with Parrott.

Marcus Harness scored his 8th goal in the league last night but his pass for Curtis who got the assist for the second goal made the goal. Being linked with Blackburn who are hit with injuries and will be interesting to see if he'll be called up in March. Hasn't been called up before but was with the squad for Bulgaria game last November. Think he'd fit in where Ogbene is playing for us. Might not have Ogbene's pace but has a much better end product than Ogbene which is the biggest criticism Rotherham fans have of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Seems to be expected goals (xG) plus expected assist (xA)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

No not really as I want him to succeed as I am an Ireland supporter first and foremost so want quality Irish players. With Parrott though there is little I have seen of him that would justify the hype of a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I remember a time when you judged a footballer on what you saw, not on graphs and mathematical equations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

That's fair enough but how much attention do you pay to u23 players across the EFL?

The stats are not a complete judgement but are useful as a guide. There is also the fact that people who judge by eye would also do pretty much the same thing and just use different language. Instead of saying xg or xa they would be more likely to say "he gets in to good positions to score" or "his passing is a good strength to create chances".

People on both sides are too quick to say either stats are the answer to everything or on the other hand that stats mean nothing and I would rather trust my eyes. They have their place and should not be dismissed

I remember a time when sending Irish lads to England at 16 resulted in great Irish players.

Both work great hand in hand. It's why you see teams putting more resources into stats these days as it helps improve their scouting of players. Similar how some laugh when you use second assist stat as it's an American term but when scouting players it's a good stat to look at when judging a player. Like the example of Marcus Harness above, Curtis will be credited with getting the assist but Harness' pass to Curtis set up that chance but you use the term second assist and some will scuff at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Well colour me shocked that you're against progressive modern methods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I remember a time players didn’t get judged too harshly at 19.

thats probably still the case for most right thinking fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You have the likes of Pundit Arena, Balls.ie, and all the other pumpers trying to generate clicks to thank for this. Any time there's a young Irish player who's showing some slight ability, he's immediately billed as the next big thing. When the likes of Parrott fails to become the next Robbie Keane, people assume he's failing or no good.

I've watched quite a bit of Parrott. He's working hard, he has a good attitude, he has decent technical ability and mobility around the pitch, I think there's a good chance he will have a career at a level that will keep in contention to make the Irish squad. I can't see him being good enough for Spurs, but that's not to say he can't be a good Championship player. Frankly, I'd be happy enough if he turned into someone who is at a similar level to Robinson.

You're 110% correct. Literally any forward that shows a bit of ability gets the next Robbie Keane treatment. Like Parrott is a 10 but will get the next Robbie Keane tag even though they're different types of forwards. Be like classing Conor Ronan as the next Roy Keane because they both play in midfield.

We just don't produce the attacking players that are good enough to really play in the Premier League never mind for a top six team. If he establishes himself as a Premier League footballer then fair **** to him because its usually the lads more known for their graft than technical ability. Is Shane Long and Kevin Doyle the only forwards we've developed that's played in the Premier League for most of their careers since Robbie Keane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jon Walters as well I guess - maybe not most, but a decent proportion of his career at least.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Unless you are a gifted finisher and footballer like Keane was you have to be exceptional physically to play as a forward in the premier league

Long had serious pace and I think one year was clocked doing the fastest time in the league , that’s what kept him attractive to premier league sides .

Doyle and Walters were very physical and extremely fit with massive work rates and great attitudes, good in the air and tough .

you have to excel at something physically if you are not blessed with talent to make it at the top as a forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Daragh Lenihan scored for Blackburn tonight

Another assist for Manning, four for the season now. Anything to be said for giving him a run out in a friendly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Let's be honest, people in the game and with any authority over player signings still judge on sight the vast majority of the time. xG and all that is just for nerds and bs jobs in the media industry.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Surprised he didn't start unless he picked up a knock. Still laugh at the fact that he's their starting CB this season. Also see Callum O'Dowda has been playing as a LWB in his last two games. Was good to see Festy starting again last night to get another 70mins under his belt. March we definitely should be looking to see someone new get minutes at WB.

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/214835-cod/#comments

Bristol fans, who have criticised him more often than not are praising his performances in the new role.

Post edited by johnnyryan89 on

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

I don't accept the argument that there's no alternative to SK.

There are no cheaper ones, with better qualifications.

SK still has a job because of John Delaney and his mismanagement of the FAI.

Better managers have been sacked for less than what has happened under SK.

A year on year contract is what SK needs. Results improved when he was on the edge. Keep him there.

Look what happened to OGS when he was given a three year contract without delivering first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Doherty started for Spurs tonight, taken off early in 2nd half. He’s getting absolutely slated on social media by Spurs fans again...would do well to get out in Jan but who would take him?

Supposedly on 65k a week and will have 2.5yrs left on his contract come January. Spurs are gonna have to cover most of his wages if they want to move him on. Could honestly see him having to drop a division if he wants first team football. Newcastle are probably the only team you'd think that would but I can't see it.

Swansea manager taking a bit of swipe at Obafemi's lack of fitness after he didn't even make the bench yesterday - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59410571

"We have a guy who shows up every day, trains so hard, Liam Cullen, and who really deserves to be on the bench at the minute," Martin added.

"With Michael, he is a brilliant lad. We need to try to help him to settle in, to get to where he needs to be physically so he trusts his body and when he comes onto the pitch he can have the impact that Joel Piroe and Liam Cullen have. "We will do - I have got no doubt about it - but with some people it just takes a little bit longer than others."

The omens aren't great. I am sure there'll be exceptions, but lads with attitude/professionalism problems don't usually turn things around?

Molumby and Robinson start tonight with Gardner-Hickman on the bench. He's sorting out his Irish passport too.

Also Brighton's U23s are playing tonight but no Evan Ferguson in the squad. Unless he's picked up a knock he could be with the seniors who play at home to Leeds tomorrow.

Jayson Molumby gets himself a second yellow and sent off with a shocking tackle. No need whatsoever to be making that tackle and with that Robinson was subbed off as a result to bring on a defensive player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

My 2 cents is that you cant leave the ground like that on a yellow, other ways to disrupt the opponent from getting control of the ball. Big opportunity for him starting and two yellahs wont help him keeping his spot in the starting line up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Exactly this. It's a clear example of his impetuosity. Jumping into needless challenges, getting involved in things when he doesn't need to. He needs to iron out that side of his game. I've said it before that he's always on the edge of bookings and reds.

Silly wouldn't be the word I'd use. Simply can't lung in like that in the modern game. You don't have to stand back and watch him take the ball but you also don't need to lung in like that. Don't think Forrest options are that wide open that it leads to a goal scoring opportunity. West Brom had more men behind the ball and Mowatt was coming back towards goal.

Maguire and Browne start in the early live game against Fulham.

Hendrick back on the bench and he's joined there by Clark for their early live game against Arsenal.

• Advertisement

Funnily enough it was a similar lack of discipline last year that got Shels relegated. I wonder was there an element of protest in the Waterford performance about the nonsense with the owner during the week. I notice Forrest didn't get a game anyway in the end (if that was the real reason for the sacking) but the performance last night was a lot worse than I was expecting.

Long, Smallbone, Idah, and Omobamidele all on the bench for the 3pm kick offs. Brighton don't play until half five.

Kilkenny back in the starting XI. Manning starts at LWB but no Obafemi in the squad. McGuinness and Collins both start. Coventry and Taylor with Szmodics on the bench. Scott Hogan, Darragh Lenihan and Danny McNamara start in their games.

Ogbene starts and Kayode is on the bench. Bazunu, Harness, and Curtis all start. Kioso and O'Hora start for MK Dons and Parrott is back available today. Keane and McClean both start.

Supposedly scored a peach of goal, right footed volley from the edge of the box. Hopefully he can keep his place at LWB. If wants to establish himself in the Irish team it's not gonna be at CB.

Keane also got the assist for their second goal. Would hope to see him get a proper run out in March if he's gonna be involved in squads going forward. Playing very well for Wigan as one of the two behind the striker.

Could see Connolly being sent out on loan in January. Kenny mentioned that Brighton had looked at sending him out on loan in the summer and the way things are I'd say there's a good chance it will happen now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Badly needed, he's fallen so far down the pecking order there now as other players are getting games.

At this stage it's looking like Potter has ran out of patiences with Connolly for the time and a loan move would be best for both him and Brighton. There's no denying that there's potential for Connolly to be a decent player, but he's not going to reach that by sitting on the bench or not making squads.

Would be best for Brighton to see what his attitude is like in a different environment too. If he was to go to Swansea we say and he runs into issues there then it's probably safe for Brighton to say we'll offload him now and make a few quid, or he could go on loan and play very well before returning for preseason.

Swansea already have an Irish striker with an attitude problem. I doubt they want another one. ;)

• Advertisement

It's frustrating as hell. We're in desperate need of strikers, yet three of our brightest prospects didn't even make their respective squads this weekend because of a non-fitness related issue (Obafemi, Odubeko, Connolly).

I wonder have some of these lads gotten complacent a bit? If you're not prepared to work hard, the slide from a Premier League prospect can be extreme. Just ask Conor Clifford who went from getting a good contract at Chelsea and breaking into the Ireland senior squad to working as a postman for his primary source of income during the prime of his career. He said it himself, the money got to his head.

Not that it sounds like Obafemi would listen, but maybe we need to have the likes of Clifford speak to a few of these lads.

Blackburn I think would be a very good fit for him if Brighton were looking at Championship teams for possible loans.

Odubeko just isn't good enough for that level, and even in Crawfords interview about Okoflex and loans it was a sly dig at Mipo. Lad thinks he's the **** as he was doing it at PL2 level, Ferguson is doing it at PL2 level and he's two years younger. Don't think Clifford talking to them would make a difference.

On the Clifford point though I always felt it was something that should have been done by bringing lads in to talk with the younger players. Lads that would have been contemplating moves over to England to talk with guys who went over and came back early or stayed longer and fell down the leagues along with the likes of Coleman and McClean. Lads that played in the league here and went over to England to have good careers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

I'm sure their senior teammates at club level have been the main source of advice. Very hard to motivate a young player when he's getting £10k+ a week.

Only a couple of years ago we were salivating at the prospect of having such talented young players like Idah, Connolly, Obafemi, Mipo, and Afolabi. Now it looks like all those lads will spend the best part of their careers in the lower leagues unless they can up their game and attitudes.

Egan, Stevens, and Hourihane all start for Sheffield United. Callum O'Dowda starting again at LWB.

Hopefully Manning can get a run at LWB in March.

• Advertisement

Connolly could be one of the biggest disappointments to come through in awhile. The lad has bags of talent but his attitude seems to be stinking. Idah I wouldn't judge too much because unlike Connolly he's never really gotten the minutes to try impress. Premier League isn't the be all and end all, the Championship as a league has improved a lot and you've guys like Mitrovic whose a beast for Serbia but has only really performed in the Championship.

Seamus Coleman starts and Nathan Collins was due to start but Burnley's game has been postponed due to weather.

That's actually even more impressive than it looks. Manning is naturally left footed, yet he took that volley with his right.

I think Manning deserves a run out in a friendly. McClean is 32, Stevens is 31. Manning has performed well at a decent level for a long time now. To give him a start isn't just a random punt, he's there on merit.

Good to see both Knight and Dunne starting tonight. Ebosele and Watson are on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

If that crop of players don't amount to anything I'll never get my hopes up about a young Irish player again. Still time for each and every one of them, but some of them seem to have real rotten attitudes. If Idah could get a good loan I'd hope he will come good as he seems to have his head screwed on.

You can see the difference in body language and during interviews when you compare Idah/Bazunu with Connolly etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Let's be honest, people in the game and with any authority over player signings still judge on sight the vast majority of the time. xG and all that is just for nerds and bs jobs in the media industry.

xG is a great stat. While the score of a game is technically, all that matters we all know that there's always more to the story of a game and xG reveals some of that. It's usually the only stat beyond the score that I look at on my score app and I'm always disappointed when it's not there (for lower division games).

As for the "people in the game with any authority over player signings", you can be damn sure that they're doing both. I think there's always been this suspicion from traditionalists that the wonks are going to try and ruin everything with their "spreadsheets and laptops" whereas in reality it's just another tool in the arsenal that can be used along with the more traditional scouting methods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The worst thing to happen to Idah was Norwich getting promoted,

Being a young CF he was never going to get minutes in a struggling side that need every point they can get,

He needs a solid year of game time in the championship , He is still only 20 so loads of time yet and seems to have a good attitude

Ciaran Clark straight red card 9 minutes into the Newcastle game. Poor first touch trying to clear the ball let's Pukki in on goal and Clark takes him down.

Hendrick, Idah, Omobamidele on the bench.

Bad mistake from Clark there left Pukki through on goal, he pulls Pukki down to prevent him getting an opportunity, but gets a red for his effort. Newcastle fans are going to be rightfully furious at him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement