Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

It's like the catholic church in 1950s Ireland again - NPHET are the new priests and bishops to these little lickspittles...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

I believe we should all get vaccinated, wear a mask and wash our hands. Restrictions are necessary but should be temporary and balanced.

I believe Nphet have done a bad job. I believe their restrictions went on for far too long and their “projections” are made to fit Tony’s narrative and not based on data. And that their anti science stance on antigen testing is criminal.

im not a conspiracy theorist, I dislike trump and think rittenhouse is a murderer.

I do however think that Nphet used the Catholic Church playlist of yester year, gaslighting the public, and singling out individuals as the problem. Arrogant bunch, shouldn’t be given any airtime. Their job is to inform government not put the fear of god into the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭prunudo

Excellent post 👏

The way they talk down to us is shocking, as you say, reminiscent of the church is years gone by. If they think we're too thick too use masks or antigen tests then a good start would be a media campaign to show us the error of our ways. Not talk to us in a condescending manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

NPHET to me were fundamental in getting through this but like the rest of us haven't always come up with the right type of thinking about things. Having a non-statutory body, with virtually the same members, functioning for the best part of two years is not a good thing.

NPHET have a very mixed scorecard.  The highs are unquestionably their unflappable calm in Spring and Summer last year and also a welcome determination to steady the ship in the bad times of last Winter.

Messaging and their stance on antigen testing are definitely the lows. There's  something almost schizophrenic about them in the way they flip from stark disciplinarians to hand holding buddies.

Equally damning is how they lost their way from being a purely advisory body to one that effectively controlled every action of government.  At times that was necessary, but there are key points during this where it was all about NPHET and almost an insistence that their advice be implemented. Having a worrywart like Martin and the completely ineffectual Donnelly in place meant they were likely to prevail almost all the time.

Their modelling has been discussed extensively on this site but it is clear that it's not a particularly helpful tool in the way that they project. Nobody expects perfection but close to the ballpark makes them useful. That said, I think their decision making has also fallen victim to the models, to the extent that they're not even prepared to project lower levels of infection.

Finally, we have the almost pointless recommendations over the last month or so, the latest scraping the barrel on pettiness. As with their models, they continue to obsess about daily cases and while they are high they are no longer translating into large numbers of hospitalizations. this is down to a combination of oodles of kids getting COVID and boosters taking effect through the age groups.

If we ever end up in a scenario we need to produce a NPHET again there are lessons in all of this. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Facemasks being reintroduced in England, not exactly game changing but the shower of idiots we have making the laws here will probably sh1t themselves for no good reason

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Forgive me if I'm mistaking you for another poster...but have you had a rapid change of opinion in the past week or so?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

This sums up my feelings exactly.

And on top, we have a leaf from the fascist playback of labelling *anyone* who questions Tony's anti science garbage "rules" as "right wing anti vax nut jobs" to the point where any criticism of nphet (like your post) has to be qualified with "I'm not an amti vaxxer"

I'm not an anti vaxer either. I think nphet are criminally incompetent. Ticketed nightclubs has no scientific basis in disease prevention. It was clear "2000 deaths by September if restaurants open in june" was ludicrous and blatant agenda pushing. No one has ever died after attending a nativity play. Ever.

It's clear we have a lot of mediocre men in charge who would rather gaslight the population into thinking black is white then admit they were wrong ever on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Imagine that Penfailed!! Someone changing their mind! That post speaks volumes about you to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

I just saw an RTE article reporting that "Thousands attend Dublin protest over Covid measures".

It's like upside-down world.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

I was asking a question. Is that suddenly a crime in here? I've openly admitted that my opinions have changed as time has passed over the whole pandemic. So...what exactly does it say about me...to be honest?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I do believe that there's a lot to protest about..

But I sigh when I see front and center a "Do not take the kill shot" placard... I would struggle to bring myself to be associated with that type of sh!t

While the tone of the article is welcome, the use of that sort of image still suggests that the media want to protray the protests a being a group of anti vax nutters.

Post edited by prunudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

half Austria levels currently though so less spikey

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

...and they've had their first confirmed cases of the new variant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Absolutely, and the way the article ends with a spiel about how the WHO says vaccines are good, and public health measures are important, etc etc etc, is very much a "we are reporting on this story because we should, but we are going to reinforce the official line as the parting shot" kind of approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭watchingfromafar

I'll give it to you thag you went from one of the most pedantic posters to someone who has some consistent views.

However I still can't forgive the "what lockdown? I go across the board. No lockdown at all for me"

Lol joking.

Anyway. NPHET need going.

Multiple experts who were never invited back onto RTE said the worst thing you can do is let public health officials in charge. Their world view is very skewed.

It would be like letting Jamie Oliver dictate what we should all eat and giving him the power to make the government impose restrictions based on that opinion.

• Advertisement

Ah right. You think the new variant is just a ploy to encourage people to get a booster?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭watchingfromafar

I think there is likely hood that those in positions of power in the WHO and other organisation have ties to higher ups in the pharmaceutical industry.

Tbh I don't consider that some crazy conspiracy.

Recently watched a documentary about wirecard in Germany.

They were reported to be worth billions until an anonymous leak said it was false. A reporter published in and the German financial regulators started a prosecution against the reporter and news paper who broke the story.

This stuff happens. Do you really think it's not happening at all?

Subscription based pharmaceuticals and you are helping people at the same time..maybe not as much as you report you are but still...easily done by people in those positions and they would feel justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

That poster doesn't give a toss about anyone else.

Sending vaccines to Africa would save far more lives than pumping them into kids in Ireland.

He/she will be safer when coming into contact with kids once they are vaccinated, who cares about poorer countries.

All in this together.

Yeah, I know you said you were joking but I need to make this clear to some people (not aimed directly at you) - at no stage did I ever say there are no restrictions if you don't do restricted things. What I actually said was that I could go for days without restrictions having any baring on my life. It was a comment on the situation with restrictions having eased so much. That seemed to upset some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Ireland hasn't been taking it's excess supply of vaccines, some of these have been going to COVAX, however, for Africa specifically the issue has been more of logistics and hesitancy, the supply is now there for them but it will still be used very slow (and part of it is down to lack of threat from SARS-COV2 due to a lower average age). It makes no logistic sense for Ireland to send any of the vaccines we have in storage to Africa (there is a lot of bureaucracy around medicines as we saw when buying from Romania), they will be coming directly from the manufacturers instead. Africa doesn't just need vaccines, it needs supply chains to store and distribute them (and leaders to both encourage usage of them and not play politics with them, there has been a huge amount of waste because of this).

There is also multiple vaccines available that we aren't using, Novavax is now approved in Indonesia, India is producing it's own vaccines as is Cuba.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,306 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'd really like to know what they're worried about, hospital numbers are falling, cases have stabilised, boosters continually being done, and a new variant that doesn't appear to be much concern based on early data.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's because we have a bunch of cowards in government who will do the bidding of the medics in NPHET. Eamon Ryan's quote earlier today shows what a bunch of cowards we have "leading" us. Frightened people way in over their heads.

Speaking on The Anton Savage Show, Minister Ryan said:

“I’ll be honest, I was frightened yesterday. It was a blow because I was kind of thinking, ‘If we get these boosters out, we’ll be in much better shape’ - which we will. And the prospect that you could have something that could work around those vaccines, let’s be honest, it was the most disheartening news since the start of this I guess."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Calm yourself down, as usual you jump to conclusions. Likely to be international travel related if anything in my opinion, such as PCR tests required etc. Let's wait and see before jumping to conclusions

• Advertisement

Posted that on the other thread. Shock horror a virus does what viruses do, and one of our head politicians proclaims that he was shocked and it dealt him a blow. What a gormless idiot. And these are the clowns supposedly leading us. No wonder the cmo, with his assertive personality is running rings around them.

Advertisement