Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Post edited by AidoEirE on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'd be the opposite, wasn't a fan of the chicken one, just found it bit bland and chicken rubbery. The beef brisket is one the best 'ready meals' I've ever gotten in aldi. Rich, tasty and the meat seems like good quality

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Picked up a pack of lamb "falafel" meatballs over a week ago, and only got around to making them this evening after work, (I'll be posting a photo on the "what I had for dinner" thread if any of you want to see how they look.

They were delicious, highly highly recommend them folks. 5 X stars from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

No sign of the Skyr 1kg yogurt tubs and Popcorn kernels in my local Aldi this morning. Hopefully its just a temporary supply issue and the'll reappear in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

They haven't had full fat natural yoghurt in my aldi for months now, dont know why as they have low fat and 0% ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Snap on both counts - I think these often disappear to make space for xmas stock. Happened last year with the skyr - back after January hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

Bit left field but anyone who likes spicy / buffalo chicken wings with blue cheese sauce and either forgets or can't be bothered making the blue cheese sauce (it's an easy 30 second recipe) I found out by chance that the Aldo Specially Selected Caesar Salad sauce in the glass bottle bottle is a pretty good hack as it's made from vinegar, cheese (not blue cheese) and has a nice sour / zesty flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The frozen mini chocolate eclairs are decent, bargain at 99c as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Picked these up a few weeks ago after your post. I had them in the freezer and I made them for the dinner today with salad in a pitta bread, I sliced the burgers up after they were cooked like you would get kebab meat, they were delicious. Thanks for sharing and hopefully they are still being stocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm sure I got them as a result of a mention here, but the dark chocolate and mint curls (Choceur) are very delicious.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Where are these in the store, never seen them before. Fresh or frozen?

Whereabouts are these lamb burgers, I looked for them next to the lamb mince/diced lamb on the fresh meat shelves but couldnt see them. No sign in the freezers either. Could just be my store which has been slow to get new products in the past.

In other news the great Aldi/Lidl jalapeno shortage is back on again, neither of them have had stock for a few weeks now. Was the same for several months at the start of the year, then they finally came back in June and now they're gone again. Last time out I got a jar of El Paso from Dunnes and they must have been sitting there in the brine for ages as they disintegrated between my fingers when I lifted them out of the jar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Davexirl

They are fresh and in the fridge with the other lamb products.

Thanks, my store definitely doesnt have them so. We're always paddy last to get new products for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

Fresh chilled and in Sandyford at least they are on the top shelf of the fresh fish refrigerated section. I follow the 22 minute cooking instruction but after about 12 minutes I run a fork though it to mix everything up and make sure it's all cooked evenly.

Highly highly recommend if you like fish.

The green/red lentils seem to be missing from my local for the past week. Hopefully it is just a temporary thing to make space for Christmas stock

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Tried the brisket pie as a quick and simple meal on Sunday evening, and just had it with petit pois peas, it was absolutely delicious, really really flavoursome and the brisket was lovely, might be mistaken but there seemed to be a strong hint of red wine off the gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

The salted caramel profiteroles in the freezer are really good. We've been having them after the Sunday roast the last few weeks.

Pack of 12 but there's always 16 in them, we had 15 once but I reckon one of the kids scoffed one and just denied it😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Tried the lamb burger after seeing the comments here. Tastes almost exactly like kebab meat! FCUKING DELICOUS. Also sliced it up into thin little kebab slices.

However I wish they didn't put flour in the feckin ingredients. Makes it difficult to squeeze the fat out. Yes some fat is tasty but not a whole cup of the stuff. I stuck it in the air fryer and not even one bit of fat dripped out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

For anyone that had been looking for the fish burgers in Aldi, Lidl have them now. Buttermilk and Southern Fried flavours.

Had them this evening for dinner. Very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

THANK YOU for this!! Have missed them so much over the last year - will have to stock up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭littlevillage

+1 for the seasoned lamb burgers, nom, nom 😋😋

Not always to be found on the shelves of my local Aldi, sadly 😭

Surprised to see a mountain of Christmas sweet tubs and a full aisle of Christmas sweets still in place in the local store this morning. Both branded and own-brand, all marked at full price. I wonder if they will mark them down this week or send back to the central warehouse?

In the random food baskets up the middle of the shop i found boxes of Moser Roth cherry liqueurs, presumably left over from Christmas.

Can't remember how much they were, but they were reduced.

They're very delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Walls Honest chips ....a little disappointed. They are a pretty small pack and kinda pricey too.

€3.75 for 500g

Where as the Maris Piper frozen chunky oven chips are €2 -ish for 1kg. Just thaw them out for a few hours. Same difference 🤷‍♂️

Bit late to be posting this, and it's a non-recommendation....

The cheese truckles they get in for Christmas - I got the caramelised onion/red wine one, and it's weird! Really soft, to the point where it's impossible to slice, but not quite spreadable either. And it'd outrageously sweet. I'll be binning the rest of it.

I got a smaller one with chives (I think) and it was only alright.

Those truckles used to be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Seasoned lamb burgers, do they have these in Lidl?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I might have mentioned them before but the vegan sausage rolls in the green box from the freezer are really good. I tend to get really bad heartburn from some pastries but these don't affect me.

They're not just a nice vegan sausage roll, but a really nice sausage roll full stop.

Advertisement