Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

You claim that not enough evidence was presented in over 60 state, federal, and US Supreme Court court cases to overturn the election results in states that voted against Trump in 2020? That was over 60!!!! And they all failed! This would make for a poor fictional novel plot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

What do these Trump associates have in common? Steve Bannon? Tom Barrack? Elliott Broidy? Michael Cohen? Michael Flynn? Rick Gates? Paul Manafort? George Nader? George Papadopoulos? Roger Stone? Allen Weisselberg? They were all charged with a crime. What does this say about Trump? Trump has not been charged yet. But he was impeached 2 times. This will be part of the Trump legacy. TRUMP'S ELEVEN. Historians will note this. Not since Nixon has there been a president with so many associates charged with a crime. It will also be a factor when he runs again in 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

It should be a factor in a functional society with a functional democracy but the US is just an absolute mess, so they could elect Trump again and make him their lord and saviour for life. A rather large portion of the US see Trump as something to aspire to. Until they come to terms with those views, anything could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

If he gets back in and the Republicans take back the legislature, it's over for the US as a democracy. They'll just start appointing successors at that stage, and not bother with elections. That's the path they're going down now and unless the Democrats sort themselves out and find a coherent way to defeat Trump and his lies, they're never going to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

They need to move to the centre fast. Yes, they'll lose some on the left but they'll gain some moderate Republicans. Which will be a win win.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

A center move for the Democrats would mean a shift to the left.

Democrats are center right ideology

• Registered Users Posts: 13,835 ✭✭✭✭briany

Not 1/10th as big a factor as it ought to be. Think about it for a second, everybody: Richard Nixon was going to be impeached for his connection to the Watergate Scandal, and he resigned after evidence directly tying him to the coverup attempt emerged. That was the end of his life in politics, as was correct. He did a bad thing, he abused his power as president, and he paid a heavy price.

Donald Trump stands at a podium near the US Capitol, loudly and proudly proclaims a great big lie with massive silver bells on it, calls upon his supporters to go to the Capitol to 'encourage' those inside to do 'the right thing'. And not only has he not retired from political life, in the sense that still apparently calls the shots for the Republican party, but would be a cinch to clinch the Republican nomination in 2024 if he wanted it. It feels like, with the U.S., we're witnessing the end of political norms and possibly the end of the country.

What does the future hold for Trump if voters buy the BIG LIE in 2024?

His inauguration speech would be something to behold. In a very dark, nihilistic kind of way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Kiwi John

The court cases where about voting law that was mainly access to mail order votes and such.

Despite all Trump and his lawyers talk of election rigging they did not take the huge amount of proof they claimed to have to court.

I wonder why not.

If Trump wins 2024, in the years following the election, what will Donald Trump share with Vladimir Putin, Xi Jinping, and Kim Jong-un?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,690 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

If we're being specific, I'd congratulate him on the Four Seasons Landscaping episode and it's contribution to the history of comedy. Outstanding work!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Not much different to the 2016 reign, Zombie Reganism turned up to 11 with culture wars on steroids.

If he were to win in 2024, I doubt he'd last the 4 years , he supposedly has improved his health, but I think he'd slip back into unhealthy habits soon enough.

Whoever is VP would be pretty much running the show anyhow.

One problem with Trump is there are so many ridiculous photos circulating from his time as president that no single one is that impactful.

This all goes back to Steve Bannon's strategy, "signal and noise" and "flood the zone with sh*t". In other words - distraction. Disinformation. Make it impossible for the opposition to govern. Paralyse news outlets with an overload of sensational stories. Normalise crazy. I don't agree with his aims, but it's hard to deny the effectiveness of his methods thus far.

Do not doubt Trump's ability to get elected again in 2024.

Nobody reads a room quite like him and he is a master media manipulator.

His favourability/unfavourability rating is only one percentage point off Biden and two ahead of Harris, and this after four years of Trump and only 10 months of Biden/Harris.

Democrats need to get serious and stop following Republicans to the right. The galling thing is Bernie will be mid-80s in 2024 and every other possible Democratic nominee is a bog-standard Rockefeller Republican.

I sincerely believe that in the decades to come the Democrats rigging the 2016 primary against Bernie will be seen among the gravest political f*ck ups in US history.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

His ability to "read" a room is based on the amount of fawning subjects that are in that room. He fails spectacularly when he's on neutral ground. This is why his rallies do well, but he looks like a twat if he has to face any kind of challenging question. In fact, he just circumvents them by crying "fake news" or ends up saying something ridiculous.

He will, in all probability, be the next Republican nominee and will, again in all probability, do well enough. The Republicans have sold their soul to him because they want his base, in the same way that they want the Christianity base that they play up to constantly. The party are only interested in power and will use any method to gain that.

As for Berine Sanders, he won't run again (or at least I'll be surprised if he does). He's been burned twice by the DNC and I don't think he has it in him to try again, which is a shame because I quite like Sanders. The fact of the matter is that BOTH parties in the states are conservative entities and Sanders is just too much even for the Democrats so they'll play it safe. The Democrats want power too and will try what they can to achieve it. And Bernie wasn't going to get them that power, even if he was probably the most genuine nominee for either 2016 or 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The Dem's don't have a bench when it comes to 2024 at all. Ossoff is doing some proper work in the senate but its to early for him, Sherrod Brown has probably missed his moment and I don't see anyone from the house that they could push to the moon right now who could win a general election in 2024.

We seen so many of the big hitters in the party such as Booker, Beto, Warren and Harris who had a lot of backing run campaigns which fizzled out very quickly.

They may be stuck with Biden for now unless someone comes from nowhere.

Stacy Abrams would be the only person who could unite all bases of the party but she probably runs for Governor of Georgia in 2022 so obviously a long shot.

• Advertisement

Trump has his ear to the ground. What were Americans most concerned about in 2016? Immigrations and jobs. What did he build his campaign around? Building the wall and bringing jobs back to America.

What did Clinton and the Democrats run on?..."I'm with her" and "incremental change." If you think Trump is only good at roaring into an echo chamber, well, I don't know what to say.

Trump (and Republicans in general) are also masters at taking total non-issues and building campaigns around them. CRT is a perfect current example. A total irrelevancy for decades but has been blown up to now being a key issue among millions of voters. Parent group meetings descending into chaos over a topic 99% of them haven't a clue about and couldn't give you a single sentence about. I suspect CRT will have died down by 2024 but Trump will find something. But who knows, if it works in the midterms, the campaign cycle won't be a million miles away and he can just ratchet that back up again.

As for Sanders, he would have absolutely gotten them that power. The trouble would have been the rest of the Democrats would have turned themselves inside out to undermine him. Sanders beat Clinton in both Michigan and Wisconsin, both went to Trump in the general. That was Hillary's death knell.

Obviously we can never know who would have won in a Sanders vs. Trump but based on all the voting and data we have at our disposal, it all points to a Sanders victory. Polling done around the time of the 2016 election had Sanders beating Trump in every, single, demographic aside from conservatives & evangelical Christians. And, most importantly of all, it had Sanders beating Trump comfortably among independents - Clinton, of course, lost comfortably there.

As for Democrats wanting power...I'm not so sure as they never do anything with it. They fight the progressives in their party more than they fight Republicans. Democrats are usually happy perform political theatre but ultimately put up **** all resistance while the Republicans drag the country further right and closer to ruin.

The Reconciliation Bill is a prime example. Every, single, Democrat should have been on every broadcast medium 24/7 banging the drum that Republicans don't want Americans to have;

• Paid Family Leave
    • Free Community College
    • Lower Prescription Drug Prices

But what did the Democrats do - sweet f all. They shrugged their shoulders "Golly-gee, isn't that a pity, Jack?". Free community college was one of Biden's key campaign issues and he whistled it away into the wind.

And you know why those were pissed away so freely...because the Democrats don't want those things. Their lobbyists would not only tighten the purse strings, they'd remove the purse altogether.

Bernard Sanders went from a total unknown to almost president because he was a thoroughly decent man with fresh ideas and honesty. He went from fringe senator to going head to head with a political dynasty and would have won had the establishment rug not been pulled from under him.

As I said, in decades to come, 2016 will be studied at great length and will go down as one of the most important election campaigns in US history.

There's a lot in this post I agree with. Hillary's campaign was utterly tone deaf in 2016. There was a supposed story about Bill and Hillary having a big argument on the phone about her flagging campaign. Hillary thought it was all about the Podesta emails, whereas Bill thought that was just an excuse for Hillary failing to address ordinary people's concerns. It got so heated that Bill supposedly f*cked his phone off the balcony he was standing on.

Also agree about Trump (or his advisors) having the finger on the pulse of America to a better extent than the other crowd. Yes, he looks moronic to neutrals and the other side, but he doesn't care. In fact, it helps shore up his base. The more some people hate him, the more he has an enemy to fight and rally his people against. Classic divide and conquer.

What I don't agree about is Sanders. Yes, I do think the tables were unfairly tipped against him, but him running for President and becoming president would be far too divisive. I mean, if you have some Americans believing centre-right politicians like Joe Biden and Kamala Harris to be ushering in literal Communism, what the hell would they think of Bernie Sanders? That he's Joseph Stalin in disguise? You'd have had militias out there acting like his inauguration day was the movie Red Dawn. If he refused to compromise his aims, no-one would work with him. So you'd either get another politician who failed to keep his promises or else one who was a lame duck from day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,690 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Rats inevitably start to eat each other....

I guess like Rittenhouse, Flynn is now off Trump's xmas card list now too

There are QAnon heads who believe JFK Jr. is coming back. Even in the wider world of QAnon, a main belief is that Donald Trump has been chosen as the saviour of the world. If these people can delude themselves like that, I don't think they'll have much of a problem deluding themselves around Flynn calling QAnon nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The celebrity lizard pizza peados got him. Free Flynn from the aliens. He knows the location to JFK Jr's gaff.

If they were stupid enough to believe that their traitor-in-chief would be matching with them then every single Qanon follower,without exception, is a moron. Every single one. There is not a single follower who is not a moron. Whether they are in the US or on boards. (I just wanted to be clear 😃)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Would it surprise you to learn that MGT has seized this opportunity with both hands to show her fans just what an appalling human being she is?

This isn't dogwhistling. This is openly shouting it from the rooftops. "I'm a racist and I am the representative of racists." Only a liar or a moron would argue otherwise and I will immediately discount any such argument as automatically invalid.

Quote:

Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene, a Georgia Republican, posted an Islamophobic tweet attacking Representative Ilhan Omar, a Minnesota Democrat, saying people should "never apologize" to her and the group of progressive lawmakers Greene has dubbed the "Jihad Squad."

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

I think that to flatly call them all morons would be a bit pat. To be very clear, however, I do think that believing in QAnon is profoundly moronic and I'm sure there are those among the ranks of the faithful who are profoundly morons themselves. But the worrying thing is the idea that otherwise functional adults who can hold down a job, raise a family, do their taxes and even run a successful business themselves can also wind up believing this crazy sh*t. That, to me, is indicative of an underlying societal problem which never actually gets addressed if you just shrug and say that every last one of them is a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Stanley 1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

I think the majority of Americans at this point think a Trump second presidency would be a godsend after the ineptitude of Biden’s reign and policies, intent on making the already crippling inflation caused by his policies, even worse. Voters already recognize that Biden and democrats are disconnected from the real concerns of Americans. And the crippling poll numbers are supporting this contention, and will be responsible for the trouncing the democrats will take in the mid-terms IMO.

His Build Back Better bill just redistribute much of the money around to already bloated government programs, with tremendous outlays for social services and climate change, doing nothing to help the economy and inflations. And his $1 Trillion spending on roads and bridges includes massive payoffs to the unions who supported him, the insanity of Green New Deal spending, and a whole range of Democrat pork. The southern border is the worst it’s bee in 20 years and most lawless ever. Hundreds of thousands of illegal migrants every month are crossing into America. We say 2 million illegals come into the US in 2020, alone. And add onto those facts the people have also come to realize the democrat controlled media and social media giants of Facebook and Twitter conspired together to lie and conceal information from voters, which if justice were not blind, would have already taken action because their actions amounted to election interference which massively helped Biden win the presidential election, primarily in turning swing states.  

Yeah, I think people would put Trump back into the White House and trade off a few nasty tweets in order to see some prosperity again that Trump and his policies brought.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭Cody montana

He lost because people wanted rid of him.

Inflation is a global problem.

Speaking of prosperity.

“US jobless claims fall to lowest level since 1969 as US economy grows 2.1% – as it happened“

”Wall Street's verdict is in: the US economy is booming again“

“US adds 531,000 jobs in October as Biden hails ‘historically strong recovery’“

And the stock market keeps breaking records.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement