Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plagued by scam calls *DON'T POST PHONE NUMBERS*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Calling now 'from Amazon' about a purchase (the value of which kept increasing during the call) of an Amazon gift voucher against my account (which I don't have). After feigning surprise and asking for details etc for 5 or 6 minutes, I was asked if I wanted to let the purchase go through. When I said " Sure, why not? It's not a huge cost" he hung up on me for some reason. Very poor customer service. 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I get the impression for the landline calls they have a copy of the phone book as they have told me my address over the phone and first initial of name as per phone book.

Definitely, they use my name as shown in the phonebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,213 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Does the phone book still exist? Does it include mobile numbers?

It exists online. I was referring to landlines. I've never had a scam call to my mobile who had my name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ya how come they don't target mobile numbers? its nearly always landlines😶

They most certainly target mobiles. You've been fortunate if you haven't had a dozen of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i've had text scams in the past but never calls

A month or so ago the country was bombarded with scam calls to mobiles purporting to come from numbers very similar to your own,

Read back the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭camz09

Like, how are they able to do this? How can they mask their own number and use a legit one? I just got rang there and I googled the number back and it's the Newbridge Garda station ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I got one from the Garda HQ number a few days ago. Absolute joke this is still going on.

Non stop from "038" numbers now, and playing them for the tools they are doesn't stop it anymore. One lad hung up as soon as I gave him my fake name, same name as last time! I couldn't answer today's call cause I was busy. I really have to learn to sound a little more worried about my imminent arrest and not just take it all too casual!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've been getting these too, although on my Android phone they appear as +353386....., so on first sight it looks a bit like a valid Irish mobile number. On my wife's iPhone they appear like yours, i.e. 0386.... which isn't a valid Irish landline prefix, so more obviously a fake number.

I've not answered any of them, but then I virtually never answer an unrecognised number anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Had a genuine text this morning about a genuine courier delivery which I've just accepted. Nice to get one like that for a change!!! 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Had one this morning. Didn't answer it but it looked like an Irish mobile but had 8 digits after the 087 rather than 7. Had a google and I don't think that's even a correct format but they're probably hoping someone will just see the 087 and answer it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭scotchy

2 today after several weeks of peace from them. both left recorded messages about me being investigated,

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The phone companies are getting off light. Perhaps they might consider doing something.

M

Got not a single one this week so far, pure bliss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Had a missed call from an 085 number this morning, first one in months, and I thought it was a courier looking for directions, as happens regularly, and I’m waiting on a delivery.

So I rang it back, but got a voicemail/message as if it was a phone that was turned off saying ‘ the person you are calling is not reachable, Meteor will send them a text with your number, if you do not want to send your number press *9’

So I’ve no idea if that’s a genuine Eir/Meteor number I rang, or if I’ve just been charged a premium rate for a returned call! 🤦🏻‍♀️

Anyone have similar?

or know if calls to Eir numbers without voicemail message set up would have that message?

thanks

It's most likely a genuine number, charged at regular mobile rates. But the owner of that number may not have been the one phoning you. The scam call centres will use internet diallers that disguise their number, instead showing a number that you are more likely to pick up, like an Irish mobile number.

• Advertisement

Yes I was thinking that could be it, that possibly the number I called back was an old out of service Meteor number perhaps 👍

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

New to me, but the scam calls are now leaving voicemail messages.

I never bothered answering any unknown numbers (especially if they nearly matched my own number!) on the basis that if someone actually wanted to get me, they could leave a message - but the latest one did leave a message.

A mish-mash of American accents threatening to arrest me for tax evasion or something (and I happen to have put in my tax return recently and waiting on the bill from Revenue - some co-incidence!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭scotchy

They seem to have stopped for me. Was plagued with them but havn't had one in a few weeks. Hope I'm not inviting trouble posting this🙂

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Started in on me again today, 3 times.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

085, 083, 053

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah Ive had 3 in the last 3 days telling me Im locked out of my Bank of Ireland account, I dont have a BoI account. 3 different numbers and 3 different variations of the scam link they wanted me to visit aswell. The country must be getting hosed with them atm, heard a few people commenting on them recently.

M

I got one yesterday, when I tried to string them along they hung up after 5 seconds, no fun to be had 😁.

• Advertisement
    M

No it was landline looking, it was sometimes like 21249498.

Advertisement