Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

******* Motors Chat Thread *******

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Someone altered a tax disc but was caught by Garda scanning the reg to show no valid tax so pulled them over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I saw that! It looked fairly realistic. Except for the fact you can't buy two years, motor tax and I think there is a computer in the squad car that the Garda runs the reg through to flag this..

There is that's why they pulled the driver over. We were behind other countries for years regarding have the ability to read the reg. Especially the UK, I remember watching those police shows years ago in UK and they used to read the reg of the cars and pull them over.

It's a great system and a lot quicker than stopping everyone and checking the discs are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

It is a rip off there is one on Donedeal for around 60k with circuit pack too. They are just cashing in on that you cannot buy one from Toyota at the minute but on the website they said they are reviewing about selling them again in 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Anyone else having a problem with motor tax website?

Can login into to the sorn section but can't login to tax my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Post edited by hoodie6029 on

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

That's a great video! I'd love to have that ability!

I love when he takes the badge off the window ledge covered in cobwebs!! 😂

Some amazing work put into that. One thing but I could be wrong I don't think they are original type R wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

We’re still way behind another isn’t rolled out everywhere and won’t be for eons

• Advertisement

ANPR I meant isn’t rolled out everywhere and won’t be for yonks

Looked to be some sort of multi fit replica alright. Given how crazy the prices of Japanese stuff has gone, i’d hate to see the prices of original Type R parts if you could even get them!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've a full set of Civic EK9 Type R wheels. That's my pension sorted then. 😀

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"It has a lot of rust issues". Well jaysus that came as a shock. Not. 😂 Though I was surprised the inner front wings weren't rotten and overall not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. The wrap seems to have helped preserve it. Bloody impressive work. I like that he didn't drag it out over a dozen vids too. They're going for pretty serious money now. You won't get one out of Japan for less than 20k before shipping and that would be a ropey example.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,855 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

It's a Honda so of course it will be rusty! In fairness that shell looked pretty solid, I'd say that wrap done a lot for it. The close ups of the paint on the bonnet doesn't look great, fair play to him for saving it

Those piecemeal videos are the worst, tiny amount of work done each time. I gave up watching Edd China’s new channel because of that style. After one video I realised I’d watched for 20 minutes and all he’d managed was to undo a few rusty bolts. I stick with Soup Classic Motoring, Harry’s Garage and a few others now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I know it's not entertaining to watch (that's why I don't watch it) but opening 3 rusty bolts on a classic project is a huge achievement which should be celebrated!

It's a pity the guy who restored that isn't on here. I'm sure I would be open to giving him my EK9 R wheels for a bit of quid pro quo on his side. I've a set of DC2 JDM 16's in need of tender care. 😁 Those wheels are getting daftly rare of late. Well they always were the rarer of those wheels from that time, fitted to Japan only EK9s and the US only DC2s(painted grey/white). I was surprised he had so much trouble sourcing the right seats. A couple of years ago they were handy enough to get, if pricey enough. Mad how quickly stuff just vanishes.

Grand as a timelapse. Very satisfying in real life though - ‘Take that you ba$tarding bolt!’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

It's only specific traffic core vehicles. It gives lots of "bongs" per minute in terms of tax out, NCT out, and in some cases the info is incorrect as in some cases the local motor tax office can be one month behind in processing motor tax, so the "live" data available to Gardai is incorrect. They have now a phone app with similar abilities, but it's for checking already stopped cars at a checkpoint.

In reality these systems are not likely to find stolen or really wanted cars as they clone similar cars reg. They can be useful to beep at local known drug dealer reg so they can stop, search and hassle them, although they probably have tax, insurance and NCT.

The best no tax success was forcing people to back pay tax if renewed late, although some "sell" car to partner to clear old motor tax debt.

To upgrade a car with no anpr to with anpr is expensive and needs to be moved vehicle every few years as traffic cars have high mileage. They are very common on unmarked traffic cars. I suspect 99% of the alerts are ignored except if it's clearly a serious issue. In USA they roam housing estates checking regs, but also flagging the location car was parked, in case they want to find home address or address where car is often parked (such as work or girlfriend address) many months later for some reason. There is a boom of tow trucks carrying anpr in USA and they patrol hoping to find cars with unpaid finance and tow them away. Often the owners hide the car not at their official address, hoping it won't be taken on them. It's a bit big brother as most systems tag the exact location seen, and some fixed systems take photos of everyone in the car. It's massive in UK and NI particularly with fixed cameras on all key junctions. In the UK the police regularly use the system to track movements after the fact such as a robbery, getting lists of hundreds of cars as possible suspects or witnesses. They can then also ask for dash cam footage from all cars that were in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭robbiew

I had a similar issue, turned out for me it was ringing my bank and adding a new password for online sales.. online security and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

It started working later on that evening 👍

That's the car sorted for another 12 months.

Post edited by blade1 on

I saw that famous golden Aston Martin Mondeo yesterday. If anyone was wondering, it looks just as gaudy in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I've never seen this classy sounding motor. Any pictures?

Oh man, I'll have a look through skangermobile thread in a bit and see if I can find it. It's come up a few times.

I wouldn't bother the link for the image is probably dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Oh yeah it had a Tesla style touch screen!

Post 2784 onwards, lack of pictures unfortunately.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/116358068#Comment_116358068

• Advertisement

Googled the reg and found this

Advertisement