Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 NCAA College football thread.

Options
  • 06-09-2021 3:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭

Some big shocks in week 1. Clemson go down to Georgia, North Carolina go down to Virginia Tech, LSU get best by UCLA, then Wisconsin lose at home to Penn State and Iowa thump Indiana.

On top if that Oklahoma struggled mightily at home to Tulane and similarly Oregon struggled big time at home to Fresno State.

I'm currently watching my beloved Fighting Irish who are getting on top against Florida State in Tallahassee. The star player is Kyle Hamilton, as a Patriots fan I'd love if we got him in the draft but that's highly unlikely. He'll be a star in the NFL, of that there is no doubt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So half an hour later that nice 18 point lead is down to three. Seminoles are looking really good now.

Great to see former UCF starter McKenzie Milton taking the field for Florida State.

If you are not aware of his history, he was an outstanding QB for UCF before an awful injury which lead to reconstructive knee surgery two years ago. He came on just now and went 4 for 4 to set up a touchdown. His injury was so bad they thought at one stage that his leg would never be right. For him to get back on a football field is quite incredible, must have took serious hard work to get back.

Irish win in overtime. That'll do.

Florida State will be tough to beat fir anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I didn't realise Milton had transferred to FSU. I thought his injury was the end of him and he had graduated by now. The details of his injury were awful - apparently his artery was so badly damaged in that leg that they had to surgically take a vein out of his other leg and put it into the damaged leg to restore blood flow so he wouldn't lose his lower leg. That's pretty gnarly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I have few College football jerseys I'm trying to offload, anyone here know best place, not looking for much but adverts seems quiet for that sort of thing?

Drake Stoops is Bob's son. I've no clue what his numbers might be like at a pro day but he's definitely a football player, always open it seems.

Very Wes Welker type of player.

• Advertisement

Mississippi State absolutely robbed on two plays here in the 4th quater against Memphis.

Punt return for a td for Memphis when they had two number 4 on the field and the official having waved his hand to stop play. But play continued.

Mississippi state then appeared to gather an onside kick. Went under review. Penalty for blacking was called despite no flags and review being for ball travelling 10 yards or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,206 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Kerry native David Shanahan was the punter for Georgia Tech last night v Clemson.

He saw plenty of game time, 7 punts for an average of 39 yards.

His first one was a poor one but after that they looked much better.

Tennessee fans making a show of themselves. They were unhappy with a call that they were short on 4th down, a correct call I might add, and started hurling bottles and all sorts onto the field. Ole Miss head coach Lane Kiffin got hit by a golf ball. Teams have moved away from the sidelines for their own safety.

Thing is there's still 54 seconds and Tennessee have all three timeouts so it's not over. I hope they end it now though, that's what those fans deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭deisedude

Cincinnati Bearcats up to 2 in the latest AP poll. Did a study exchange in Cincinnati back in 2009/10 probably their last best year when Tim Tebows Florida beat them in the Sugar Bowl. Delighted to see them doing so well now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

This thread is pretty dead, but in an attempt to revive it....

Lots of big games today, as the conference finals and play off places are nearing completion.

Huge occasion in Ann Arbour, where #5 Michigan have turned over #2 Ohio Buckeyes to throw a spanner in the top 4 playoff standings.

The Iron Bowl on later, Bama need to lay down a marker for Georgia, who won well earlier.

Coming to a boil nicely.

• Advertisement

I don't think Alabama have any hope against Georgia. I think the playoff four will be Georgia, Michigan, Cincinnati and Notre Dame.

The latest rankings certainly suggested that Alabama would be out if they lose the SEC Championship game.

Agreed, Georgia look better thus far, but it's hard to back against Bama in a knock out game with Saban at the Helm.

Alabama down by seven at halftime and missing their star receiver Jameson Williams for the rest of the game after he got thrown out for targeting on special teams.

That'd leave to playoffs almost all set unless Wisconsin pull off the shocker in the Big Ten championship game.

And the Iron Bowl is headed to OT. Unbelievable catch by the Bama receiver to tie it up.

Never write off Bama.

Pulled it out of the fire when it matters. Bound for the top 4 now surely, and nobody will fancy facing them in a one off game.

Somehow some way Alabama get the win. I think in the fourth quarter Auburn threw it away moreso than Alabama got it done.

Just insane and it'll be interesting to see how the rankings are affected by that, could see Bama dropping to four.

I think they drop to four after that and out when they get beaten by Georgia.

They won't drop to 4 with Ohio State having lost. I reckon they either stay as they are at 3, or even get 2. The committee want Alabama in the playoffs so won't drop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,206 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Had the brilliantly named Tank Bigsby not stepped out of bounds on that 9 yard run with under w minutes to go Auburn would have won it.

Alabama would not have had enough time to mount that comeback.

Great job by the Auburn kicker to nail the 49 yarder when his previous best was in the low 30s

The committee don't want anybody in the playoffs. They dropped to three after winning by 56 points over New Mexico State.

Now they went to triple overtime with a team who'd lost their last three games. That doesn't look good. Meanwhile no.2 got beaten by Michigan who'll jump to two and Cincy will move to three.

It puts Alabama exactly where they should be as they don't want two SEC teams in it if they can help it. By putting them at four it means you lose you are out.

• Advertisement

It'll be interesting next week.

Some (eg CBS) predicting Alabama at #3, so all riding on the Georgia game. I dunno, might drop to 4,would the fact that Auburn's QB was literally hobbling around on one leg late on go against them as well?

Form would say Georgia, but who knows with Alabama in a one off game? Certainly wouldn't rule them out.

Just clarify the position, Auburn lost their previous three games. Their starting QB is our for the rest of the season and their backup started and was injured for most of the second half.

I'm confident they drop to four based on all I've seen from the ranking committee since it began.

The reasons are that Cincinnati won well and Alabama struggled and the committee don't want two teams from one conference if at all possible.

Only way Bama make it is if they beat Georgia and with their offense struggling so much against Auburn they are going to get destroyed by Georgia.

Georgia will control time of possession and win by more than seven points imo.

Lincoln Riley is leaving Oklahoma and off to USC.

And now Brian Kelly is bidding farewell to Notre Dame to join LSU.

Drama already with Lincoln Riley and USC.

He announced the staff that was following him to USC, and Roy Manning (Oklahoma CB coach) was NOT one of them. So you'd assume Manning was staying at Oklahoma.

California based high school CB Domani Jackson yesterday said he'd narrowed his decision to either USC or Alabama. When asked about USC, he said:

"Lincoln Riley has been blowing my phone up and that’s been impressive,” Jackson said. “With all that he has going on, for him him to take all this time to reach out to me shows me a lot. He wants to come in for a home visit but this week is pretty crazy so that will probably happen next week.

“He said he wants send in coach (Alex) Grinch (DC) first and then he’ll come in later. I’ve heard from coach Grinch too and also Roy Manning, who was the DB coach at OU. I’ve been texting back and forth with coach Manning and looking forward to meeting those guys in person.

"He talked about their track record at Oklahoma for getting DBs drafted,” Jackson said. “He said they put three in the Draft the last three years with two starting in the League (NFL) right now. He said to give them a chance and said they’re about to do something special so I’m going to give them a shot for sure."

So basically, Manning has been helping to recruit prospects for USC while still being an Oklahoma employee, and while still actively recruiting for Oklahoma (he was literally visiting recruits for Oklahoma yesterday with new head coach Bob Stoops who took over from Riley).

Basically, the insinuation here is that USC had agreed in private with Lincoln Riley a long time ago (they fired Helton in early September) that he would be their new head coach. Riley didn't want it announced while Oklahoma were still pushing for the playoffs. As soon as they lost to Oklahoma State at the weekend, effectively ending their playoff hopes, USC announced the hire. And while Riley had agreed to join them back in September, he (and his staff) have been recruiting for them while on Oklahoma's payroll (several 4* and 5* recruits have already decommitted from Oklahoma and flipped to USC).

This could get murky.

Post edited by el Fenomeno on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I was really wondering reading your post what the significance of it all was and then read that last couple of lines and was like...oh jaysus that's gonna be fun to follow.

Kelly going to LSU is bad news for ND, I think on balance he has been really good, overseen a revival of the program and made them consistent contenders for the playoffs even in the face of a difficult recruiting situation against the likes of Alabama etc. Doesn't have a great record against other top teams, but the next hire will come in with huge expectations now.

On another note, his move is a reminder of how obscene coaching salaries are on the context of how much cfb exploits the players. Pay for play can't come soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Wow, the end to the Big 12 championship game was something else. Oklahoma State blew it a bit really, but credit to Baylor. Notre Dame will be delighted.

I don't watch too much College football, as so many of the games tend to be lop sided, but that was very enjoyable.

SEC Championship next....great

Oklahoma blew it alright, result blows any chance they had of sneaking into the top 4 obviously.

Some play at the end, great footrace to the pylon won by the defender.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it looked like he just had the edge for a split second, but great tackle by the defender. I like that these things are decided on the field although, it will be slightly sour if ND get into top 4 somehow, by not having a championship game to play.

Advertisement