Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2021/2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭mcburns07

All aboard the hype train!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭tiegan

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

MTs comments this morning have given renewed hope to this winter.

If i read it correctly he said storm Emma from December to February😁😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭White Clover

Absolute nightmare scenario for a sheep farmer that also works a 9 to 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tzmaster90

is met eireann predicting snow oh plz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

As a snow lover I can say that there is only a tiny chance of snow next week. Only on the highest ground if conditions are right. It will feel more seasonable though, so a few frosty nights in store at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

Very little chat about the very nasty weekend ahead of us

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Wind and rain in an Irish winter? Not much to write home about really.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

ROGER J Smith. Has another well put together winter forecast/prediction on the netweather winter forecast thread.

Over all better than average chance for wintry periods.

Hpefully the east canadian storms this autumn akin to 1982 is has the the same outcome as that majestic winter for us this winter..history does have a habit of repeating itself. Weather too?? :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,450 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

FWIW that's me under yet another name (I promise to stop at three). To be clear, the post you're mentioning draws a comparison between autumn 1981 and current developments in western North America thus implying some correlation with 1981-82. That would only be relevant if the wavelength becomes similar, otherwise some other location downstream would be in the same relative location as Ireland was then.

Things don't look all that promising for early to mid December at this point, but I do think we have a pretty good chance of seeing wintry episodes after that. I think we'll have a pretty good idea how things are really going to pan out during the week before Christmas when we hit the major energy peak of the early winter. Would say that around 3 to 9 January we might be into a battleground situation this far west and possibly winter patterns further east if not here as well.

Bazlers, if we're going to have a winter forecast contest then I will wait for you to get it going, but we should go soon so that I can publicize the link in the December contest thread on the 28th or 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I was actually going to say that in my reply to Loughc but decided not to be so pedantic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Dew points are nice and low but I had to look twice at that 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 23,643 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Across the water snow getting down to quite low levels inland and even near onshore wind facing coasts from that frontal zone making it's way toward the southeast.

And of course at higher altitudes...

This could bring a period of snow to low levels right down in to central/southern England and inland Wales for a time overnight. Much of it won't hang around long though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,450 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

You have to wonder if there would be a winter season repeat of Arwen (no two storms are ever going to be identical of course, but sometimes a season has tendencies), if so, it could be quite something with any colder temperatures that might accompany it.

The general consensus about Arwen seems to be that it was the strongest northerly wind event of recent years, only Feb 1969 seems to have had a stronger northerly type of wind gust. And that's hardly recent although I can still recall a few things about that winter, it had a lot of retrograde flow patterns in eastern North America too. Big coastal storms, long periods of blah mild northeast flow where I was in those days (Toronto).

The repeating tendency has a bit of a 30-day peak in frequency, so would be on the lookout for model forecasts in two or three weeks that might be picking up a second big northerly outbreak.

Second time around Ireland might be more generally in the firing line too, only Ulster and a few parts of Connacht really saw a whole lot out of this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Here the measure of a weather event is the effect on services to and from the island. Last week we had no post at all. They managed to get over to the mainland yesterday for supplies.

It did not feel as bad as previous events; but then I am inured now. The one scary thing was the ferocity of the gale blown hail.

For me nothing has ever been as bad as Storm Callum. It scoured this coastline. A local GP took amazing photos of the coast road after it. Or the remnants of the coast road. It was sheerly terrifying

The weeks ahead will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Lovely to hear from you Graces7! Hope you're keeping well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Sweden just had its coldest November morning since 1952 with -37.3C at Nikkaluokta. Remarkably cold even for that part of the world. The record is -39.0C. It is clear there is a greater source of cold air to tap into this year from both the north and the east especially compared to 2020. If we were to get a (proper) northeasterly, I would imagine it would be brutally cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The GFS 6Z is certainly looking to tap into it to start winter off with a bang!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭mcburns07

You just know that if it was close to record warm it would be all over the news and put down to climate change!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Doesn't quite get a proper Scandi high but shows height rises in the region and we get a gentle easterly flow for a couple of days yet for such a benign pattern, the raw modelled temperatures show minima getting down to -14C in the Scottish highlands and widespread frost everywhere. If we got such a pattern in the past few years, we'd be lucky to get below freezing or -5C @ 850hPa, January 2021 easterly comes to mind.. or November 2018. The atmosphere is certainly in a much better state this year and primed for severe cold northerlies or easterlies, just a case of getting the blocking over Greenland or Scandinavia as usual.

Coming up to the 9th anniversary of That ECM of December 2012 too.. an unlikely scenario anyway.

I fail to see any sort of signal for the mild or very mild weather some keep saying. Looks largely average to me with changeable polar maritime conditions - 1 day relatively mild, next day chilly sort of affair. Might get stormy the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Wow, I was delighted to see "latest poster" Graces7. Jumped straight into the thread to say :Great to hear from you, hope all is well, and keep us posted on how you fare with the weather over the next few weeks! Love reading about you being snug as a bug in a rug, listening to the howling wind outside.

edit: clarity in last sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭esposito

The game between Burnley and Tottenham at Turf Moor, Lancashire has been postponed due to heavy snow 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rbelmc

greetings from Sweden.It had been a really mild autumn in most parts until last week when winter arrived with a bang.As Sryan mentioned we have had exceptionally low temps the last few nights in the north and now it's pretty much winter in the whole of the country.The south is seeing the worst of the snowfall at the moment with 20-30cms of snow on the ground in many areas and with plenty more to come this week.We have some snow here too where I live in Norra Gotaland but have missed out on the heavier snow so far.All of the local lakes have been frozen solid for a week now and it's the earliest I have seen that happen since the bitter winter of 2010 when we had snow on the ground from the 1st of November till the 15th of April.There definitely does seem to be much colder air to the north this year to tap into and once the northerly wind blows the temps drop like a stone here.good to see some of the higher ground getting snow in Ireland this week.hopefully the rest of the country will see some as well before the winter is out

I learned in my first island winter, the hard way, that the only safe/sensible thing to do in gales is to ensure that all I need is inside. Then close the door. There was one time that the gale seized the door I was opening and flung it back at speed, with me attached. I landed with my head a few inches from a solid wall. A huge scrape all down one leg. So yes, snugged in every time. Gales are spectator sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭pauldry

This week looks pretty wet for Sligo.

Could see the lake overflow once again as 80 to 100mm possible before this time next week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement