Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Drop of about 15% in hospital week on week if I've done my sums right

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No it's not but from a health service perspective it is good news and it's a relief to everyone else that we don't look to be going anywhere near the NPHET projections.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Of all the Omicron cases found outside of Africa so far have any of them even had symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mild symptoms I think have been mentioned.

Worth considering though the demographic of those using air travel during a pandemic is likely to be heavily skewed towards younger, healthier people and the vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Perhaps I should rephrase. Originally, less was known about the disease and the exact performance of vaccines was unknown, they have performed possibly better than hoped for on severe illness and perhaps less well than hoped for on transmission. So it seemed reasonable to vaccinate the over 12s and see how things turned out. With the transmissibility of Delta it was always inevitable that children would be vaccinated also.

Ireland has an admirable performance in vaccination levels for older groups, but not teenagers, so our population vaccination proportion is not especially high. We need to work on getting the under 18s vaccinated.

• Advertisement

• Woke up this morning shivering with a fever under the duvet, and found I had a bit of a cough. All red stuff. Was lucky to be able to arrange an immediate PCR in Dundrum. So went from up out of bed to a test in less than two hours. Probably a bacterial infection, can be prone to them, but have to of course isolate until I get the text result.

I thought she was far from excellent. She sounded stressed and more than a bit hysterical. But I do see how breaking down in tears while making a point plays well to some listeners so I imagine the clip will go viral on some media platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

If you get a not detected result, you should also isolate with those symptoms.

Is it true that a positive PCR test means you won't need a booster for 6 months after?

Was fairly sure I heard that on the radio yesterday but can't find it anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

They wont give it to you if you have Covid in the previous 6 months

they asked at every point yesterday about that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Similar situation, pain behind my face and nose leaking but no other classic covid symptoms. I reckon its just a sinus infection but have to stay home until they're sure

• Registered Users Posts: 15,086 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

If you had COVID-19 since you were vaccinated, you should get your booster dose at least 6 months after your positive test result.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK ye want facts and figures?

The population of Ireland under 25 is *EDIT approx 1,650000, the number who died from this pox in that age group? Seven. Actual risk by percentage? 0.0004% Aka feckin miniscule

The population of Ireland aged between 25-55 is approx 2,170000, the number who died from this pox in that age group? 183. Actual risk by percentage? 0.008% Again pretty feckin minsicule. And that is a wide age band all the way into middle age where quite the percentage suffer from obesity and type two diabetes and cardiovascular conditions. Take out the over 45's and that risk drops ever further.

The population of Ireland over 65 is 675055, the number who died from this pox in that age group, the age group most vulnerable to this virus? 5128. Actual risk by percentage? 0.7. Certainly higher than seasonal flu, about double so not good at all. However, of those 5128, 2316 were over 85. Average life expectancy in Ireland today? 80.9. The median age of death of all age groups from covid 19 was 82, two years over the average life expectancy of Ireland. Those of 85 plus years of age made up 40% of all deaths. And these are all deaths since this pox showed up including of course before we had the vaccines.

Figures taken from here and here.

It should go without saying, but I'll say it to be clear in case the more reactionary get triggered; every death is a personal tragedy for those who passed away and their loved ones, but let's not lose the run of ourselves here. Covid 19 is by quite a margin the least fatal pandemic in world history.

Post edited by Wibbs on

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• •Potentially• the Omicron variant may particularly mild. Would love that to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I thought that the immunology guy from maynooth on the show after was a lot better and a lot more measured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I hope so, personally I’d rather have a positive test.

Isn't it a bit strange that your deemed safe for 6 months after a positive PCR, but only 5 or 3 from vaccines.

Especially as a PCR doesn't pick up what level of covid you had in your system.

Or is it the case that it's unsafe to take a booster shot if you had covid less than 6 months before? In that case what about people who may have had covid a month ago but were asymptomatic and don't know it?

Eamon Ryan got a positive PCR, is he clear for 6 months too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

People should read up on what the Spanish Flu did and then compare it to this

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Láidir agus Dílis

Thanks. You took the time to make an excellent post.

Have you the data on the number of pedestrians under 25 hit by a car and then we can determine the veracity of Seamus statement 😂

Funny you mentioned the word triggered, there was a lot of emotion in your post. But it was a good post. You just neglected the whole car hitting side.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Even if it is, will it stop people losing their minds over it and demanding more restrictions? Doubtful. They will just say stuff like 'mild is more dangerous because people might not known they have it. Close the borders!'.

• Advertisement

I don't need to read up anyway, have known about it since a child. 23,000 died in what constitutes the ROI. 5 times the mortality rate of covid here. Attacked the stronger immune system of young people. Practically everyone posting here has a relative from the time who died. A 22 year old grand uncle here.

What triggers me are wafflers with random statements. And populist ones.

It's a very mild pandemic in relative terms, if the black death is at the high end of the spectrum, no disrespect to those who have died and their friends and relatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,491 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I actually thought it was sort off ironic the way they had the girl on who was hard of hearing and she mentioned lip reading.

Covid, and everything we know about it today, should not in the least bother anyone in good mental and physical health U70. It doesn't cause me a thought in what might cause me anxiety in day to day living.

When I visit my 90 year old mam, healthy and living alone, 4 or 5 times a week, I naturally become conscious of where I've been, are we in a case surge etc.

But my own daily life, it doesn't register. Live your life and when your time is up, your time is up.

I joined here almost 2 months ago and I'm coming to the conclusion, that bar the occasional post, it's time wasted that could be spent at something else. Especially this thread. The LLS, Hell Week etc would give you a laugh as they're not taken so seriously and don't have 7 or 8 self professed experts, who keep changing their minds, and who couldn't be experts, or they wouldn't be here. Just posting snippets to support their angle.

Look at the list of bans at the start of this thread and you'll see it probably does more damage to healthy young to middle aged people than covid!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nope no emotion, maybe bemusement, unless there's some projection on your part going on. As for being hit by a car I couldn't find those stats, but in 2014 the number of injuries(8079), serious injuries(758) and deaths(193) in Ireland on the road numbered 9030 overall. Nearly double the current death toll for covid, so it does seem you are more likely as an Irish person to be hurt, badly hurt or killed in a road accident than to die of covid 19. I did find this specifically regarding the number of children under fifteen killed on Irish roads in 2015. Fourteen. So for that year at least double the number of those killed by covid under 25.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I admit I didn't hear either, but this article caught my eye earlier.

She seems to be speaking rational sense to me there.One of the few people pointing the finger back at the Gov, it would appear.

'Hit by a car' is fairly vague. As a pedestrian? I find that poster so full of flip flops and waffle. In fairness your replies deal in fact.

Isn't it a bit strange that your deemed safe for 6 months after a positive PCR, but only 5 or 3 from vaccines.

Strange indeed, given it's been found that antibody levels and immunity appear to drop in the previously infected and that this can vary by quite a lot depending on the severity of the infection. IE roughly speaking it seems those with a more protracted and severe illness show more immunity. Plus we also hear that vaccination gives better immunity than natural infection.

Much of the boosters stuff came from Israel who were vaccinating early on with mostly Pfizer and they noted waning immunity and higher intakes into hospital among the elderly and chronically ill. The difference between five months for boosters of Moderna/Pfizer and three months for J&J was down to a single study of the latter involving a little over a hundred American veterans, majority male, average age 61, a third diabetic, over a half obese and over a half who required at least one hospital stay in the previous year for non covid related health problems. Clearly representative. Other far larger studies involving over half a million subjects in a couple of countries by Janssen and independents including the CDC in America showed slightly less protection against hospitalisation and death than Pfizer, but that protection lasted for at least eight months and actually got stronger over that time. They also found the best clinical results and protection from a booster of that vaccine came not at three months, but at eight or more. Janssen only started talking about boosters after Pfizer did. At the time that boosters were mooted, Janssen released their study that said all was pretty good at eight months. So which study is the more accurate one?

There's a lot of that about alright. There seems to be the all too common in these days of social media of extreme either/or thing going on depending on the person, online and off. Covid is either the Greatest Disaster Ever and We're all going to DIE!, or Nothing to see here, barely a sniffle. The middle ground is sadly lacking.

I've seen a few posters in the last few weeks who believe that currently we're in the most dangerous phase of this pox. They seem to be forgetting that we now have far more information, better treatments and more on the way and a bag of vaccines with more on the way that seriously reduce the risks of serious illness and death. We had pretty much none of that at the start of this and during last summer and even autumn. Even so and in the midst of some hysterical drama llamas talking about tens of thousands dying in Ireland, it was pretty clear - and a few "eejits on the interwebs" hereabouts noted it - the early evidence was pointing towards a disease that overwhelmingly injured and killed the very old and the already health compromised and was almost exclusively a threat to those over forty, more like sixty plus. IIRC it was around May or June of last year after we watched the carnage in northern Italian hospitals that records and studies revealed that something like only two people under forty had died in that harrowing time. Remember the hastily erected field hospitals that a few countries rushed to build? Yet very few ever recieved patients. Remember "flatten the curve"? That aged well. Remember the worldwide panic over lack of ventilators? All seemingly forgotten.

In Ireland the biggest takeaway was how tight our health service was in relation to overflow. Something the dogs on the street have known for decades, with every winter hospital corridor filling up with the sick on trolleys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@Wibbs wrote

As for being hit by a car I couldn't find those stats, but in 2014 the number of injuries(8079), serious injuries(758) and deaths(193) in Ireland on the road numbered 9030 overall.

Eh, what? You're comparing being knocked off your bike (for example) with death?

Compare death with death.

Advertisement