Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing 101- recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

lissard wrote: »
    Gilet and armwarmers cover most situations at this time of year. I've probably said this a few hundred posts ago but you can't go wrong with Castelli Nanoflex armwarmers. They are waterproof and warm, pair these with any gillet and you should be good for Irish summer.

Cheers, will make a note of those arm warmers. When I got back into cycling, beginning on Lockdown 1 I bought a pair from Planet X for about €6....

Might need to add them to the endless bike items I need/want to buy- bike stand, pocket sized rain jacket, gloves, new helmet (current is 20+ years old), bike computer, Victory Chimp mad design short sleeve jersey. I know there's some things I'm forgetting.....

Hi,
    Looking for gloves recommendations please. Want some padding to help prevent tingles on long rides.
    Thanks
    Pa

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Tingles definitely hands, not circulation (in which case core warmth!)? Anyway, fwiw "InBike" 5mm gel padded gloves from AliExpress!

Hi,

I have 1 pair of bib shorts (Canyon) but looking to get another pair. A few people sing the praises of Castelli COMPETIZIONE BIBSHORTS

I'd be using them year round, cycles around 30-80km, on my own and group rides. Would anyone recommend the above, other Castelli bibs or another brand completely? Max budget €140, ideally less but willing to pay that if it means better bibs
    Thanks,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lissard

To my mind Endura FS260 offer the best bang for buck of the various bib shorts I own. Ultimately it's all about the pad and the Endura one suits my anatomy best. I have used them for rides up to 200k with no discomfort. I have Castelli bibs with the Projetto X2 pad and while it's not bad,the shorts are just a bit tight on my thighs. I guess it depends on your shape - I'm an L for Endura and an XL for Castelli. I have no experience of the Kiss Air2 pad used in the shorts you link to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭devonp

my best bib shorts are Etxeondo Ohri, have both the summer version and the winter thermal/hydro ones. really comfortable, a lot of compression in the trunks (you can get long or short versions) and the straps are very lightweight (almost flimsy)
    sizing: , i'm 175cm 70kg and take a M (sizing isnt far off italian stuff)

got a good review from:
    https://www.bicycling.com/nl/fietsen-spullen/fietskleding/g36810645/beste-fietsbroeken-moment-wielrennen-fietsen/?utm_campaign=Bicycling+EN&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter#location-choice

and an end of season sale at present

https://www.etxeondo.com/en/?utm_campaign=REBAJAS+EN&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

no association with the company

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    Looking for gloves recommendations please. Want some padding to help prevent tingles on long rides.
    Thanks
    Pa

I would suggest it’s not the gloves that are the problem. You may want to look at your wrist angles when holding the bars.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm in the market for a jacket to replace a Rapha Winter Jersey which was a tiny bit too small. In the sub 100€ range is there any point looking anywhere but Galibier?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

I'd recommend going to Galibier, quality for the price is honestly second to none (IMO)!

Didn't expect anything different from this thread! Just need to decide between Mistral Foul Weather and Mistral Pro

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I got the Mistral Foul Weather last winter and love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've previous iterations of both mistral jackets, and where them both. In the office tomorrow - looking at it, the pro might get it's first run out of winter!

Hi,

Any recommendations for waterproof overshoes & waterproof gloves please?

Thanks

Pa

I've see sense waterproof gloves which are great. My only problem is on the coldest and wettest days, I have the Galibier winter gloves which are great but they can get a bit too wet. The see sense ones are waterproof, if not quite as warm.

Not a lot of difference between overshoes, I'd go for Galibier too. What makes a bigger difference for me is a thing I got to put over the overshoe to stop water running down the leg and into the sock

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fergall

With Decathlon look at the codes, the best stuff is 900/700, 500 is standard quality 300/100 is bargain basement stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

got shimano ones recently, not happy with them. they are splitting along the seam already 😣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Looking for winter gloves that aren't as thick as an oven glove. Have some Sealskinz waterproof winter thermal gloves that are way too thick, finicky when shifting and gel on the palm just doesn't sit right.

I see Shimano have gloves that are minimal on the palm side and thicker on the back of the hand for warmth, which makes sense. Don't know if any of them are Winter rated though but will keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

I got the Galibier Ardennes light winter gloves. Had them out on a very slow cycle last weekend (friends along for the spin), the temperature never got above 3 degrees, and they were perfect. Havent had them out in the rain though, so that might be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

Any suggestions or recommendations on socks that actually keeping your feet warm? Overshoes are grand but once I'm on the bike over 90 min my feet get very cold very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

What is the thing you got to stop water running down? Any links?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Have something similar for my work boots.

Haven't tried these. Seem a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

I picked up a Castelli Gabba plus Nano Flex arm/knee warmers a few years ago and they've served me well through my foul weather riding, no complaints. At the moment I feel the need to expand my wardrobe in that category and I could simply buy the same again, but I thought I'd check in here first to see if anyone knows of a worthy competitor, or if any other brands are beating Castelli on price:performance. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Nano flex still the best arm/leg warmers I have.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd be interested in any responses to this. My toes go numb after a while in the cold despite thermal socks and overshoes. I also have sealed the unused screwholes in the base of my shoes.

I saw these linked from somewhere recently (it might have been here) haven't tried them myself but might be worth a punt https://www.theheatcompany.com/en/warmers/toewarmers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I was out yesterday in woollen hiking socks (Decathlon) and overshoes (Lidl) and never noticed the cold.

Just to round back on the cold feet discussion. Last week I came home with feet wet and cold. Had been wearing woollen cycling socks, velotoze toe covers and ProVision neoprene overshoes (the type with no zip)

So went in search of a solution. Bought fire feet Galibier socks ( size small even though I'm a 43 as based on a recent review) and I splashed out on Spatz Pro 2 overshoes. I always thought the Spatz were crazy money but man they work. Was out today and only after 2 hrs did I feel a little bit of water coming in the vent underneath the shoe. Even then it didn't get cold. The Spatz are seriously toasty. I tend to have cold feet generally so if these stay working they'll be worth it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Tired these out today in the pissing rain.

Not a particular success.

Maybe got 90 mins?

The problem seems to be that once tights got wet enough the water ran down inside gaiter and into socks.

So maybe if tights zipped and could go over gaiter and top of overshoes?

Advertisement