Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Santy get a boyfriend...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Beastialty and paedophilia aren’t equivalent to homosexuality, though, whereas heterosexuality is.

You mean I just have to realise where the "oddballs" are coming from.

Maybe he should kiss Olive.

You know. Olive. The other reindeer. Used to laugh and call him names.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

Would you be ok with an ad showing George Floyd kissing another man?

Why would I care?

He is dead though, so maybe his family might have an issue with it, probably bad taste, but other then that, meh

Because you and I both know the same people who are delighted with this ad would be frothing at the mouth if that happened. They can't see how this would upset anyone because Santa Claus is not one of their religious icons, whereas George Floyd is. I'm just trying to show that each side of the debate have their own 'line in the sand' where it comes to significant cultural figures so saying 'you must be a homophobe if you have a problem with this' is at best ignorant and at worst dishonest and malicious.

Nope. Ridiculous.

There is no comparison at all, unless you are somehow under the belief that Santa is a real life person?

Did you watch their advert where it shows Mary to be not a virgin?

It’s a fictional character, depicted doing something normal and natural. That’s all that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This really absolute and utter nonsense. The vast vast majority people dont really care in any way whatsoever about the ad. A few people are claiming "controversy" and the George Floyd whataboutery is just..... nonsense.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

That's just so easy for you to say. It's an ad for Norwegian postal services. It's not on the radar of many people in this country. If it ran on RTE or TV3 then we would get a better gauge of Irish attitudes towards sexualising a special figure in the lives of children here for pure shock value and points on the woke-ometer.

On the other hand, I do agree to a point. If this was the 1980s it would get a giggle on 'Tarrant on TV' or shows like that, where 'aren't foreigners mad in the f** head' was a common theme for English language TV programmes. But it's released at a specific point in time for a particular purpose, lobbing a grenade right into the clash between woke culture and people who live in the real world. They knew exactly what they were doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Obviously you'll be taking the kids and grandkids to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Pamsteer

As someone already said, it's normal and natural and its depiction is a sign of an advanced society.

This is exactly the point. Santa is for children, young children. Anyone pushing this on them has let their wokery run riot. Using any and every opportunity to push their agenda. Nobody needs Santa portrayed in this manner. What 7 year old wants to see the content of that add?

What's the harm some of the posters say? There is no harm per say, but what is the point of it?

Are you suggesting that children should be shielded from the gays????

Should we hide the fact that there are gays in the world??????

When do we tell them? Around the same time that we tell them Santa's not real???

• Advertisement

Its an ad

Children see adults kissing all the time. The "sexualising a special figure" is just pure drivel and nonsene. If you really believed that you'd want to ban all parents kissing each other in front of their children. There are lots of examples of Santa being a lot more sexual than this. A tiny minority of people are shocked at this.

The dramatics of this being compared to a grenade are frankly laughable.

And then you talk about "the real world" - Again laughable nonsense. We are discussing a fictional figure.

Lots of people outraged over nothing really.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Lets just ban all kissing so children can never see it.

Terry Pratchet

No one uses terms like “pushing this on”, “exposing“, “sexualisation” and “agenda” when talking about seeing a heterosexual couple do something as innocuous as kiss. No one would be concerned in the slightest about children seeing it.

Some people just can’t let go of seeing homosexuality as a threat, something sinister, a deviancy. Something that will somehow rob children of their “innocence” - implying both that it’s exposing children to something taboo and that it’s an act one can be guilty of: a crime of sorts - maybe not a legal one, but perhaps one against nature. Something that’s ok for “consenting adults in the privacy of their own bedroom” - as if the consent part needs to be emphasised, the privacy part needs to be imposed. They might be tolerant - the minimum requirement for allowing something to exist at all - but they’re certainly not accepting. It’s ironic, because invariably these are the ones who often claim that homophobia doesn’t exist in society, because gay people are “allowed” to marry.

Fortunately, this is probably the last generation that will harbour these outdated and outmoded notions.

Thats just isnt it.

Its not though. Your whole - "oh think of the children being sexualised blah blah blah" completely smacks of this agenda and when held upto scrutiny you wouldnt be acting the same way if Santa kissed Mrs Clause.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

If people have an issue with this advert but wouldn't have any issue if it was a Mrs Claus he was kissing, then the only conclusion is homophobia.

Santa in the eyes of most children is married to Mrs Claus, why would he now be kissing a man. Santa shouldn’t be used as a vehicle for woke or life messaging for young children. What next, trans Santa, Santa as a woman, Santa in a wheelchair, Santa with cancer. People die so should we have santa dying.

There are plenty of other ways to get messages of tolerance out there. Using Santa is not they way to go IMO. That’s just my opinion which you may agree or disagree with. It doesn’t matter really.

But this add is trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

If there's a Mrs. Claus then he shouldn't be kissing anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I hate when anyone fcuk with childrens childhood.

FFS they have little enough of it these days as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

1. Santa Claus is not a religious figure. At best Saint Nicholas would be, but nobody really looks at Santa for a religious aspect. He's a magic man who brings presents as far as kids are concerned.
    2. George Floyd was a real man, like an actual person, who was murdered by the cops and it is certainly not a religious figure.

Nobody is targeting children. It's an advert for the Norwegian post office!

And so what if a fictional character kisses anyone? The only people who have issues with this, are people who have issues with men kissing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

This advertisement isn’t the least bit sexual, it’s more sentimental than anything, which plenty of advertising is around Christmas. It’s not as though the actors are actually frenchying or anything, so calling it sexual or making out that “they’re portraying Santa as gay now” is nothing more than contrived annoyance at the whole idea of anything different - a modern take on a classic theme, blowing it way out of proportion.

I could take it or leave it tbh, I thought their previous advertisements were better, because they were different too, but they were funny, this one is just meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I'm looking forward to James Bond being gay in the next movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Do you have a “thing” for Bond, P? I’m sure there are other films out there with a suave, and handsome, leading man that might do for you in the meantime.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

when do we tell the above poster that there's already a black santa, an Asian santa etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

So let me get this straight.. people have no problem lying to their kids about Santa existing, or other ridiculous fictional characters like the tooth fairy for that matter, and are fine with the loss of trust in them their child experiences when the find out they've been lied to about it up until that point..

..but they have a propblem with that same ficitonal character kissing a dude because.. ehh.. woke agenda I guess? while crying "the kids the poor kids".. who they are consistently lying to about his existence..

okay! that makes sense!

So you must strongly object to the song I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

people are often protective of tradition and traditional narratives , even when it comes to fictional characters

not much of a gotcha moment when I didn’t mention black or Asian. Try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

You opined that a trans santa or a santa with cancer might be next.

the tone of your post suggests that you feel that would be a bad thing.

just pointing out that theres not only a straight, white santa out there.

• Advertisement

Its an ad. It's no big deal really. Not sure why you are so angry. If you think it's trolling then your OTT reactions feed that so called trolling. Santa is used for ALL sorts of life messaging - selling goods, telling children about how to act etc etc. It's telling that this gets the negative reactions and little or no reaction to Santa being used in other life messages.

Why is Santa telling children how to behave?

Why is Santa encouraging rampant consumerism in children?

Terry Pratchet

I forgot how tedious boards can be.

why would presenting Santa as " Trans " be a good thing in your view ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

Would the main issue for most people not be that it could be slightly confusing for younger kids? Not the inherent fact itself, but more so the clash with already established portrayals of a specific character.

I don't necessarily mean one single ad but the concept in general. I think people sweeping all questioning away as homophobia are being disingenuous. We live in a time where cartoons have non-binary or gay characters, kids certainly do not care nor do a great many adults.

But, if in one instance kids see he's happily romantically involved with a man, but the next feature, he's back with Mrs. Claus - It's not that I think kids care one bit, but kids being kids would definitely be curious as to the lack of consistency in Santa's home life.

Assuming we are promoting the fact of there being a singular Santa....I mean if we teach kids that there are several Santa's, that's completely fine then, but if we are promoting that he's the one and same man at all points, it's a bit confusing.

I mean at the end of the day it's just one ad and well intentioned, I don't think it's seeking to smash any traditions but I wouldn't be a fan of Santa himself as a platform for anything really.

Representation. Minorities, especially younger people in those groups love seeing their grouping represented publicly, so they don't feel invisible in society.

I saw a post on Reddit about a disabled child becoming extremely excited and happy about seeing an advertisement in a shop that featured a similarly disabled child in a wheelchair. I've seen other posts with children who have down syndrome being very happy to see other kids and adults with down syndrom featured in ads or TV shows.

All groups want to see themselves represented publicly in some fashion or another, and I suppose some people from the more widely represented groups (straight white etc) may become threatened when some of their widespread representation is replaced with that of other smaller groups.

In this day and age, various fictional characters are shown as all sorts of different things, female versions of originally male characters, or gay versions of originally straight characters.. these are all fictional characters, we can choose to show them anyway we want.

edit - I am not saying being trans is in any way a disability by the way, just pointing out that minority groups want representation and there's nothing wrong with that.

Would the main issue for most people not be that it could be slightly confusing for younger kids? Not the inherent fact itself, but more so the clash with already established portrayals of a specific character.

Kids are very well used to reboots, alternate timelines, etc. Don't worry about the kids.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah but young kids understand none of that stuff is real. They do however believe Santa is real, that's the crux of the conversation for me personally. They don't see it as some fictional representation of a person or thing, they believe there is just one Santa and that person is very real.

Which makes it a little bit challengning for big changes. People comparing it with James Bond or whatever is completely stupid as James Bond isn't real, no-one's ever believed he is real, and there's zero reason for him to "have" to be straight, or white, or whatever, for that reason.

The fact young kids see Santa as a real person is the only potential issue I see with it. Everything else being talked about or comparisons made - kids understood none of it is real which is a huge difference and I wouldn't ever be against inclusivity in these things.

It's a genuine question as well. People are very quick these days to accuse genuine questions of being screened homophobia or something. If you can explain to a kid that one Santa, whatever his differences, is an "alternative timeline" Santa and that explanation works then.....well, great.

Is it political? I don't think so, I think it's allowing under-represented groups see that they are part of society, rather than buried like some sort of shameful secret.

It's not politics. It's not a war. It's not us and them. It's not erasing your identity, or replacing anything you hold dear.

It's is just a little reflection that there's variety in life, and that it's perfectly normal.

I've been keeping an eye on Santa's village over the past few days and while everything seems to be in order so far, rest assured that I, and others, will be monitoring the situation closely until the Christmas period officially ends in Late June.

• Advertisement
Advertisement