Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish protocol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

Completely true and I never thought I'd ever agree with Bertie Ahern.

The protocol is a great example of howbIreland is not yet free as the people of Ireland have next to no say in what happens with the IRISH border the British government is going to make that decision for us whether we like it or not.

We need to hurry on with the next election so SF can apply the final solution to the IRA master plan and end British rule once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I could use the aghast language of other posters with a few expletives and say you have been told many times that this is not how it works. The ira accepted the legitimacy of ni and the right of the people of ni to self determination. An international agreement now backs that up. This is much much more secure than the protocol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,721 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They have something in common...Unionism tried to bring both down and have failed.

Unionism didn’t try to bring either down. A section of unionism (and a smaller section of republicanism) felt the BA was in essence a surrender of their cause. Clearly the smaller section of republicanism was proven right as unionism would be very nervous today if it did not have the ultimate protection afforded by BA. Most unionists who opposed it now recognise that though there was nasty medicine to be taken eg release of terrorists, it has been well worth it. The ira are not killing them anymore and there is an international recognition of the legitimacy on ni and the right to self determination.

protocol is different. Unionist politicians were split about 50/50 on the BA. Though 100% are opposed to the protocol in its current form.

so again you are spinning history.

• Advertisement

Did Unionists try and bring down both agreement and fail?

Yep...they did.

No spinning involved.

They cannot align with EU standards. Are you suggesting that EU would make all the rules going forward and UK would blindly follow. Thats not tenable

SOME unionists. Thats like me saying that republicans are trying to kill people because they don't like the BA. I am honest enough to recognise that it is not all republicans

The, by far and away, most popular Unionist party, refused to sign up to the GFA and never did it officially, and their leader organised mass protests against it. Now they are trying to use it to bring down the Protocol.

My statement is true. That you don't want ownership of that behaviour and wish to point, as usual at themuns, is your own issue.

Francie, you just make up nonsense that any poster can go and check with a quick google.

The UUP supported the Belfast Agreement (GFA) and they were the biggest unionist party. And here are the results to the subsequent assembly election which will show you that the unionist community decided to maintain UUP as the biggest party even though they supported the BA. So just utter nonsense - but other posters will hardly be queing up to tell you to wise up!

• Advertisement

Not one single word of what I said is untrue. Let's try again:

Francie: They have something in common...Unionism tried to bring both down and have failed. = Correct.

Francie: Did Unionists try and bring down both agreements and fail? = Yes Francie they did.

Francie: The, by far and away, most popular Unionist party, refused to sign up to the GFA and never did it officially, and their leader organised mass protests against it. Now they are trying to use it to bring down the Protocol. = Correct again Francie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

When 'global Britain' is found out for the big pile of steaming shite it is, GB will quietly align with the EU in an attempt to repair the damage the CONs/DUP have caused.

GB should never ever be allowed to sit at the EU table again though, it can pay to play but it will not be allowed to make rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The fact that their politicians have stocked division and hatred has ensured that the loyalist communities will be stuck in poverty and ignorance for decades to come.

Post edited by steddyeddy on

You are always right Francie (in your own head), even the the facts demonstrate you are wholly wrong

What did I say that was 'wrong' downcow?

You invented something else and had a rant about it. Your issue, not mine. What I said was 100% correct.

Downcow you are just bitter because you know after the next election Sinn Féin are going to be running the country and they are going to implement the final phase of the provost great plan and use all the remaining funds from the provo campaign to influence the referendum on Irish unity and to unite this island once and for all and SF/IRA will have won.

Finally now once Sinn Féin get into government we will be able to honour our dead martyrs and give them the state memorials they so rightly deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭maebee

I, as an Irish Republican, who have never voted SF, find this post disturbing. "Use all the remaining funds from the Provo campaign to influence the referendum on Irish unity" is disgusting, imo. I have no doubt that there will be a United Ireland in the years to come, with thanks to Boris and Brexit, and I will welcome it. To say that SF/IRA will have won is horrible. It will be the Tories that will do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,640 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

[Edited to delete. Relates to a matter for which I now see there has already been an apology.]

It’s amazing how you stick up for republicans 100%.

francie was trying to evidence that unionism, as a whole, tried to bring down the gfa (follow the posts that led to it if you have any doubt). He said that the by fat biggest unionist party opposed it. This is patently not true. I have evidenced that the biggest unionist party before, during and even after the signing, supported the gfa.

its crystal clear, no matter what you say and no matter what personal abuse you throw at me.

• Advertisement

I genuinely don’t know which country you believe they will be running after next election? If you are referring to ni, then you don’t understand the gfa. This is another reason the gfa was a masterstroke by unionism. If republicanism ever end up the biggest party then they still cannot run the country, as they would anywhere else.

a lot of romantic naivety in your post. ….and as for hoping the ira will win - I don’t know where to start

Whilst I do not agree with your thought that there will be a Ui in the future, most of you post is excellent.

i agree Boris and the dup have undermined the union with there actions and ironically the Ira have undermined any hope of a Ui with their actions, which sf continue day and daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ahusband

Will you please extract your head from wherever it is stuck?

The Good Friday Agreement is the prior agreement, your government must abide by that agreement & must protect it in any action it takes in enacting brexit, calling on Ireland or the EU to pander to your desire is quite frankly idiotic, the party that is moving the goal posts in the operation of the agreement (UK) are the only ones that need to come up with a solution, otherwise, seriously, do you honestly expect Ireland to leave the EU or the EU to disband the single market to suit you.

It's not tenable that the future of the majority of this island is ruled by the vote of the minority who didn't even carry a majority in their minority.

Stop lying about what was said and tell me what I said here that is untrue. I will back it up with evidence.

Francie: They have something in common...Unionism tried to bring both down and have failed. = Correct.

Francie: Did Unionists try and bring down both agreements and fail? = Yes Francie they did.

Francie: The, by far and away, most popular Unionist party, refused to sign up to the GFA and never did it officially, and their leader organised mass protests against it. Now they are trying to use it to bring down the Protocol. = Correct again Francie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So years back when pro-brexit parties like the DUP were suggesting to join the EEA which has to abide by quite a few EU rules but has no input they were lying?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/25/dup-may-back-norway-style-brexit-deal-says-arene-foster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

The article basically saying what a lot of people know already, that the british establishment could not give a fiddlers about the nordies yet some will swear blind loyalty to them.

As I've posted numerous times, to most across the water ye are just a bunch of paddies

francie you say

.Unionism tried to bring both down the gfa

while I have demonstrated that the majority of unionist politicians supported it and the majority of unionist voters voted for parties that supported it. So what you are saying is comparable to me saying ‘republicans tried to bring down the gfa and also continued murdering people’. Now that is factually true, but entirely misleading.

so if you want us to agree that both republicans and unionists tried to bring it down, then that is factually correct but non-sensical.

if you want to clarify your statement that a minority of unionist politicians tried to bring down gfa and 100% of unionist politicians are opposed to the protocol in its current form then we could agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Did the CURRENTLY largest Unionist party try and bring down the GFA and refuse to sign it, Downcow? Yes they did.....which was quite clearly what Francie was referring to.

You're just engaging in pointless sophistry to avoid dealing with that head on.

You can compare it to men on the moon playing marbles if that takes your fancy.

It does not make the statement I made untrue or a lie.

• Advertisement

When one of the chief opposers of the Protocol is ranting about the GFA NOT protecting 'the Union', you can see why the young fellas setting themselves on fire might have no clue to what the Protocol was about.

Did these guys even understand the GFA never mind the Protocol/WA

Advertisement