Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Pixel 6/Pixel 6 Pro

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I'm on a UK Device and haven't got anything over the past few days.

More I use it though the more I think Google certainly need to hire a few people in their UI and usability department for the Pixel phones. This phone has so many shortcomings compared to Oxygen OS on the OnePlus phones that it's ridiculous. Stock Android is nowhere near what it's cracked up to be when it lacks so many small little touches that make the phone more intuitive.

I used the screen recorder function for the first time tonight and whoever developed that clearly was completely gormless since you have to actually have to go to the notifications panel to stop the recording, with this action actually recorded itself. On OnePlus there is an (invisible on recordings) overlay on the screen at all time with stop/play/pause which shows on your screen but not in the recording. You click this during recording.

What with the fingerprint reader fiasco, the deception by omission marketing spin on charging and the general quality of life issues I can't say I love my Pixel 6 Pro as much as I should. I really really want to love it, but the whole experience just feels underwhelming. Coming from OnePlus over the past 24 months, the OnePlus offering is a much better package with far more polished software that is trying to be as user friendly as possible.

I don't hate my Pixel 6 Pro, but Google have a hell of a lot to do in order to get me to order another phone from them in the future. There are some really nice touches on here but at the same time from a software and hardware point of view, there are still some issues that see them lagging behind the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭pandabat

From as far back as I remember, the benefits of stock (or close to stock) Android were only ever lack of bloat (resulting in more free space/memory and possibly improved performance) and the lack of such customisation meant that getting upgrades out the door was a quicker experience as the customisations didn't need to redone for new firmwares.

The firmware on the Pixel 6 should get some more spit and polish over time so hopefully principle gripes will be taken care of. Face unlock and other goodies would be nice so we'll see.

Fwiw I'm coming from a OnePlus 5 to the standard Pixel 6. I probably would have initially bought the Pro for the telephoto lens had it been available when I went to preorder (but I was away with family and missed launch by a couple of days). In hindsight, I'm not actually that put out that I just went for the non-pro - I'm just not 100% sure that the price premium would be worth it for my use case.

Coming from the OP5, that fingerprint reader is slower for sure but tbh I'm used to it now and it doesn't bother me.

The camera in the Pixel 6 is a huge improvement and that was the main motivation for upgrade.

Performance wise in the day-to-day, I can't say that there's night and day there. Pixel 6 probably a bit snappier but the OP5 was no slouch even 4 years on from launch.

Charging-wise, they're fairly neck and neck for the first 50% of charging but the Pixel would be a bit slower for remainder up to 100% but, again, it doesn't really bother me and I seem to get 2 days out of a full charge on the Pixel 6, which I find impressive (note that I'm on WiFi and 4G so not using 5G) so I'm not charging every day anyway.

The OP5 speakers seemed louder but the sound was harsher and the Pixel 6 definitely sounds more pleasant while perhaps being slightly behind in ultimate oomph.

I do miss the OnePlus sound/notification slider on the side for rapid mute/vibrate and the OP5 was certainly more svelte in every way than the hefty P6 although, once again, I'm now used to the latter so it's moot really.

The free headphones made the deal as a whole fairly worthwhile though and were a crucial tipping point in taking a punt on the Google handset along with the quick access to future Android version upgrades for a number of years. If I'm honest, had the headphones not been there then I probably would have held back to see what Black Friday deals came up or even waited for next gen in '22.

Post edited by pandabat on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

I applied to return my official Pixel 6 Pro case last night via the original order email but have not heard anything from them since? A pop up appeared saying it had to be back by 30/11/2021 but it is faulty so does that still apply?

Thanks,

M

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Couple more irritating issues. I've had Android handsets of various bugs for the last god knows how many years, but the sheer amount of bugs, things which do not work as they should is quite annoying.

Music Pausing Randomly

I have some weird issue when using any music apps where when I'm not using the phone the music randomly pauses from time to time. It happens whether using headphones or not and with various different apps. There's no sure fire way of reproducing it, but it tends to happen more often immediately after increasing or decreasing volume whilst the screen is off. Issue didn't happen on my OnePlus.

Inaccurate Location sensor

Also what's the situation with this phone never knowing where it is. I'm fed up with Google Assistant's "Okay, but first you need to unlock your device' prompts for voice commands since whilst Smart lock is on to stay unlocked when at home the location the phone thinks it is at bounces between me and several of my neighbours which means it's really pot luck. Location is highly accurate on my OnePlus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭micks_address

no havent gotten it.. i suppose its only 10 days till the december update so no panic with it at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

Im still waiting for confirmation of my claim for the Bose headphones, I sent them an email last week looking for an update and today I got this reply:

We are so sorry for the delay and we can confirm that this is still being looked into.

Due to the demand of this promotion there are slight delays but we can assure you that our teams are working as quick as they can.

Please keep an eye on your email inbox / spam for any updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭wassie

Did you try calling them? They will probably process for you straight away?

ya, I called them last Friday and the guy i spoke with said they are very busy, he can see my order and everything looks fine, just waiting for the guy in approvals to tick the box and should be soon....that was last Friday and still nothing....the only reason I bought hte Pixel was that I need a new phone and the Bose offer was great but wihtout the offer I would not have gone for it I think.....

Yeah I got that first time I rang. Then rang again the next day and the lady offered to process both my orders (had two separate claims).

Keep ringing them - someone will sort it. I can only imagine how many emails are waiting to be 'processed'. Once your claim is processed, you are probably just as likely to get the headphones before anyone else. There doesn't seem to be any logical order to it.

Good luck with it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭jvrk

I submitted claim Saturday for headphones and got my approval about 15 minutes ago I got the Bose 45 and credit instead of the 700s.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

Has anyone actually received their headphones yet? I have seen people in the UK posting online about having received theirs, but nothing from Ireland yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

I received mine yesterday, claimed and approved on the 4th, UK though.

Did you get a dispatched email etc to say they on way?

I received a dispatch email on Friday 19th 4pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is anybody having issues where the double tap gesture on the back of the phone is stopped working mine is completely stopped in the last few days.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭jvrk

Nope I had to change it to stronger tap as was way too sensitive mayb was changed to stronger tap?. Also for the store voucher any 1 idea how long for that?

Don't know, I have no need for them so will probably sell them unopened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

While it seems that people in Ireland have not received their headphones yet, has anyone even been able to validate the status of their order? I entered my ref number and it returned a "Not found" error

Edit: Nevermind. Had incorrect email address. All good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Yeah it's broken for me now that you mention it. Haven't used it in a few days so not sure when it stopped.

There's lots of little bugs in the current software IMO.

Post edited by Keith186 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Works ok for me. Approved on 4th and no update since then though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Working for me at the moment (just tried it now for first time) but wasn't using it up to now so maybe that's why it's still working 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,819 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Anyone able to preorder the pixel stand 2? I press the preorder button and nothing happens.

Proceeds to basket for me. Try clearing browser cache and cookies and then try again

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

Given the headphones seem to be dispatched in other countries, I'm starting to wonder if the Irish shipment will be the QC45s and not the 700. Issue them after Black Friday so you're not getting as much with your Google voucher.

Are the 45's much of a step down from the 700's?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭TheRona

It's just that we're in Ireland. We were behind the UK last year as well.

• Advertisement

AFAIK the Bose 45's are better for battery life and noise cancelling. 700's better for sound quality/features. I'd say they're fairly even really.

I wish they would hurry up and send the headphones. I gave up taking my motorbike to work and instead I'm taking the bus because it's safer, but like many I like listening to music when I travel so it would be nice to have a decent pair of headphones.

And just to add to the above comment the QC 45s fold up more than the 700s so are better for travelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I'd prefer the QC45s, even without the voucher. I used my wife's QC35 IIs for a while and they're the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried. Perfect for wearing for hours while working. Only thing I didn't like about them was no USB-C, which the 45s fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Still waiting here for headphones. Already have Bose 700's, so I'd imagine I'll sell or gift whatever I get. They're great headphones, I'd be interested in trying the qc45 for comfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi all,

Anyone have issues with the ambient light sensor, especially when watching videos? It is noticeable all of a sudden when it goes bright then a few seconds later goes dark again.....is that normal or do I have a defective advice? It is very noticeable and kinda annoying to be honest.

Thanks,

M

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Summer2020

No but I'm having issue with the volume when watching videos on YouTube, volume seems to go very low at certain points and then I'll turn it up and then it'll correct itself and the volume is overly loud

Do you have adaptive sound turned on? It might be trying to adjust sound to your surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Aokay

Does anyone know how to prevent mobile network standby from taking all of my battery? The phone just about lasts a day because if it. I'm not even using the phone and it drops by 10% every two hours. It's like the doze feature isn't even being enabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Dropped the phone rough ground today and got a small chop out of the top left of the screen and a few spiderweb cracks running out of it.

Has anyone had their screen replaced yet? Google are looking for €144+vat to do it.

• Advertisement

It's not just a straight screen swap, as the fingerprint sensor is behind the screen. Good news is though it looks like a fairly straight forward job if the iFixit teardown of the 6 Pro is anything to go by.

Worth a look so you understand whats involved, particularly in relation to the calibration of the fingerprint sensor. You should consider this in Googles quote as it probably would include this.

Also I'd be keen to preserve the bulk of the 2 year warranty with a google repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yea I might leave it for the moment and send it off in January to get it sorted.

I'm actually surprised it's not broken worse because it fell from waist height onto the corner and there's only a small chip and about 5 small cracks.

Only issue I have sending it off is I have an eSim and the One Plus 5 I have as a spare doesn't take one of those so I'll need to get a replacement SIM.

I assume you are with VF (if you have an Irish eSim). This is from their support pages:

You can contact us through the Chat button on this screen, or call into a store, where we can deactivate your eSIM profile and set you up with a new one. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi

Has anybody got WiFi calling with GoMo.? I have Pixel 6, changed to GoMo for the WiFi calling but so far no go. Contacted support but so far only a reply tI received was to "enable it on my phone".

I believe it must first be enabled on their server then I get the necessary options on my phone, No?

i may be wrong but my understanding is that only vodafone have wifi calling on pixels in ireland.. something to do with phone / network both having to do something.. there's a mention of it somewhere on the thread

You're only option for Wi-Fi calling is Vodafone bill pay.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

As above.

Wifi calling is a network dependant feature. Don't expect WiFi calling from Eir/GoMo anytime soon as they don't sell Pixel phones.

Hi

14.99 down the drain, but will ask for refund as advert did not specify would not be available on all phones

Just looking at the website FAQs there you appear correct.

Can I upgrade to get WiFi Calling or 4G Calling?

Initially WiFi Calling and 4G Calling are only available to customers who signed up to GoMo after 9th April 2021. Don’t worry WiFi Calling & WiFi calling will be made available to all GoMo customers in coming months.

Might be worth asking the question directly in chat or by email about Wifi calling.

If you signed up within the last 2 weeks, you are within your 2 week cooling off period. Technically I think the clock starts from the day when you received your sim card (AFAIK).

What happens if I cancel during the 14 day cooling off period?

If you want to cancel during the 14 day Cooling off period, just let us know here.

If you cancel within your 14 day cooling off period your cancellation will take place from midnight on the day you cancel. To keep your mobile number you must move your number to another network before this cancellation goes through. We will send you an email to confirm your cancellation.

Hi

Thanks for replies. Think for now will remain with GoMo. Just saw Vodafone charges calls via wifi same as 4g. I thought they were free 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just noticed my bose tracking page says 'Last Updated: 11-18-2021', but it still just says claim approved? Even though it was approved on the 4th.

I wonder what they are doing

• Advertisement
Advertisement