Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,759 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Maybe they'll prove me wrong but IMO that team is nowhere near strong enough to win this game and Leinster will win it fairly comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Is Reidy fit? For me, McCann is far more at home at blindside. 6. McCann, 7. Reidy, 8. Timoney is what I was thinking they should go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

I just compared Ulster to the Leinster team......not so enthusiastic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Any chance this match could be called off for Covid or maybe the weather?

Leinster by 146 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Glad Leinster are fielding a reserve team!

• Advertisement

Ha.

I think that reserve team would win the URC!

In a combined XV I'd say McCloskey over Frawley (but Leinster fans would no doubt go for Frawley, but they are completely different types of player so in a way a pointless comparison) Timoney over Penney, Herring over Tracy.

The half backs are possibly 50/50 calls, but even then McGrath should be a lot sharper than Cooney and to be honest I'd probably rather have Ross Byrne at 10 than Billy. Billy may be capable of producing something that Byrne can't, but I'd take Byrne's solidity every day of the week.

O'Connor v Molony is close as well.

It's a good test for Hume, he held his own against Henshaw and Ringrose in the Bungle Cup last year, so hopefully Ireland camp has given an extra bit of confidence that he can be the equal.of these guys.

Although as interesting as the centre battle is on paper, it's an unfair battle when you compare the packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Dunno if I've the stomach to watch this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

We're gonna win.

Never noticed Tom Stewart on the bench! At least that’s one positive to take from the game!

• Advertisement

With the Baa,-baas game cancelled, Vermeulen presumably turns up better rested and - crucially - not injured.

He still has to make the trip over, so there's still time to do an acl or two in.

Hume and Timoney were the standouts for me and I think that was McCann's best game for us, he wasn't eye catching but the workrate and carrying was there. McIlory looked very composed running it back as well.

Loved the aggressiveness in defence and how many errors we forced, but when they got into their stride our shape bent very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The scoreline flattered Leinster tonight. Great performance from Ulster.

Cooney understandably a bit rusty coming back from Injury but out of the 2 teams, the ulster Halfbacks were comfortably better than Leinster's. Hume was outstanding at 13

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

I wasn't expecting that performance. The defence was top drawer. Forced so many errors. A very simple gameplan, don't let Leinster into the Ulster half, simple 1 out runners and win collisions.

Is it just me or is Timoney looking more and more like a new David Wallace? With performances like those, he should be in the mix for the 6 nations, especially with the attrition rate of the back row.

Personally, I never thought Timoney would get to the level he's been playing at recently. I would point out that Connors played well for Leinster on his first game back from a long term injury, and he was ahead josh VDF last year for Ireland.

Yeah, Timoney has hit a level I didn't think he had in him. It goes to show that talk of player ceilings etc is sometimes OTT.

I thought Marty Moore, Timoney and Hume were the standouts on Sat.

But also honourable mentions to McCann, McCloskey and McIlroy and Rea and Doak both had good games off the bench. Burns as well actually was decent.

It was a well deserved win. Some interesting tactics both with ball in hand but also our kicking which Darren Cave was pointing out was neither long or short, it was in that awkward nomansland and poor old Jimmy O'brien had a tough night.

Obviously the lads will need to back it up next week and in the grand scheme of things Leinster were missing a lot more players than we were, although in fairness by my reckoning we were missing at least 11 internationals!

McGrath

Roberts

O'Toole

Henderson

Murphy

Reidy

Vermuelen

Addison

Stockdale

Marshall

Baloucoune

• Advertisement

If you'd told me that we'd take four points from the away interpros from Leinster and Connacht, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. But winning against Leinster in Dublin, for the first time in eight years, denying them a losing bonus point, is the best possible way to come by those four points. Dan can insist there's no monkey on anyone's back, but Hume was quick to point out after the game that he'd never won any game in Dublin. I think being in the Ireland camp has had an appreciable affect on the drive and confidence of both he and Timoney.

As well as those two, thought Burns was better than he has been for a while, Doak was completely unfazed by being brought on for the last half an hour, ReaJea was very good (reminded me of Chris Henry in the way he played) and I think that's one of the best performances I've seen out of Warwick. McIlroy is just quietly very good. Thought he was better than any of the Leinster back three.

The win will have been excellent for morale - but coming as it did after four weeks of stewing at being being manshamed by Connacht, I think feet will still be firmly on the ground.

So now - Vermeulen arrives in Belfast having had a nice rest last weekend, and jack McGrath is all but back. Hopefully Baloucoune, O'Toole and Roberts are all buoyed by their international experiences as well. We have a long string of tough games, but I'm pretty hopeful we can make a mark for ourselves.

In an odd turn, there are only 2 league games between now and the reverse fixture against Leinster. We have Ospreys away, Connacht Home, Leinster Home, Munster away.

We need to back this weekend up and make sure it wasn't for nothing. Bonus point wins against Ospreys and Connacht are required. We need to beat Leinster at home, and get at least a LBP in Thomond.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I thought Timoney was a big talent a couple of years ago! He certainly has the athletism.

Marty Moore is way underappreciated. As is A.O.C.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,139 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Better than the usual arriving injured signing!

Hopefully he recovers quick and some rest can't do him any harm after the internationals.

He'll almost certainly not play against Clermont away now since his quarantine will only end the day before the match.

Big blow.

But as Launish says the rest will do him good.

To be honest the EPCR or whatever they are called have completely ruined the European Cup for me, so I'm probably more invested in the URC for the first time ever. Plus I have a feeling Omicron is going to mess the European Cup up anyway.

Be good to have him fit for the Festive Inter Pros.

It also means more exposure for McCann who is slowly jut surely beginning to step it up and shows signs of fulfilling his potential.

Yes I'm doing my best to be positive....

McCann is starting to deliver.

Just started to watch the game back. At 19:09 you see why Greg Jones has to go off for an HIA - shoulder to the head from Brian Byrne. Extremely lucky it wasn't looked at - I say that, Murphy looking straight at it.

Bloody hell. On the stroke of 48:45 Cooney is cleared out by an out-and-out headbutt from Ross Byrne - a later replay from a different angle (after the kick to touch) shows it fully.

Leinster should thank their lucky stars they had Murphy...

• Advertisement

The difference between Doak taking over from Cooney and Harry B taking over from Ross B is night and day.

One is a continued precision and awarenesses, the other is a mess.

Advertisement