Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish protocol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

They'll be running the Republic of Ireland if you haven't been keeping up Sinn Féin keep rising in the polls they are estimated to get nearly double the votes of any other party.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Its completely irrelevant to me who is running Ireland, spain or portugal, or indeed the Republic of Ireland - wherever that is. My concern is who is running the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

It was obvious who francie was referring to but DC chooses to have another rant and deflect. Good luck appeasing these people when thay can't acknowledge when they're wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

The Court of Appeal in Belfast has begun hearing a challenge to the lawfulness of the Northern Ireland Protocol.

So which will it be.... "there can be no implied repeal of constitutional statutes" or an issue "ultimately about parliamentary sovereignty"???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Nah, you miss the point. Downcow was actually correct about this.

Francie's statement is like saying that 33% of the people in the South supported the PIRA in the 1970s because Sinn Fein got 33% in a poll this week.

At the time they opposed the GFA, the DUP were not the largest unionist party. The vast majority of unionism supported the GFA. Trying to paint it as otherwise, as Francie is doing, is just blatant revisionist history.

• Advertisement

You will care downcow, mark my words you will care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

The majority of Unionists currently vote for a party that did not support and did not sign the GFA. That isn't revision, it is a fact. We know that at the time of the GFA, 43% of Unionists who voted opposed it with 57% voting in favour of it. That doesn't change the fact that the most popular Unionist party did not support the GFA, which is what Francie actually said. Any analysis beyond that is just spin.

A few weeks ago, when LCC announced their withdrawal of support for the GFA, Jeffrey Donaldson himself said that Unionist support for the GFA was diminishing rapidly, suppose you may tell him he's wrong too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,718 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Anyone see a summary of how the Protocol 'appeal' went in court today?

Fionn you are correct with this part of you statement

“the majority of Unionists currently vote for a party that did not support and did not sign the GFA. That isn't revision, it is a fact. We know that at the time of the GFA, 43% of Unionists who voted opposed it with 57% voting in favour of it.”

after that your post is nonsense.

but we really are going around in endless silly circles. I can justly say that the majority of Irish nationalists are voting for a party that supports murdering people for their advantage. Its roughly the same gap in time

let’s end this silly points scoring.

The majority of Irish nationalists are voting for a party that fought against British rule in Ireland, and I myself from the 26 counties do so with pride.

You may phrase it differently.

• Advertisement

You can phrase it whatever way you like. I was just following francies lead

Here is a wee piece from some of those thick ghetto loyalists that Bertie says know nothing about the protocol

https://unionistvoice.com/news/government-now-argues-act-of-union-is-suspended-in-remarkable-volte-face/

You can call it nonsense.....or you could actually point out anything that isn't accurate in the post? You've agreed with the part you quoted....the rest is a reiteration of the part you agreed with and a quote from Jeffrey Donaldson....are you suggesting that the most currently popular Unionist party did not oppose the GFA, or that Jeffrey Donaldson didn't actually say the quoted line?

You STILL haven't pointed out what it was I said that was untrue.

All you have done is show that that bit of uncomfortable history embarrasses you.

Kinda looking for an independent summary. Jamie Bryson doing the woe is me, victimhood act? No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

“The Protocol blows the door of the hinges, thus bypassing the apparent protections against trespass. And therein lies the core problem which simply can not be reconciled by the Government and proponents of the Protocol.”

I wouldn’t be too two to worried about someone who doesn’t know the difference between off and of .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,640 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There's a PhD student in the QUB School of Law who is attending the appeal hearing and tweeting about it each day. He knows his stuff, so far at the legal issues are concerned, and has no obvious skin in the game, one way or the other. But it's legal commentary, not reportage, and I think his intended audience is lawyers with a professional interest in the issues, so it might not be quite what you're looking for.

It’s nonsense because this is what francie said

“They have something in common...Unionism tried to bring both down and have failed.”

he did not say ‘current’.

A minority of unionism tried to bring down gfa. A majority voted to support it and the biggest unionist party supported it.

a minority of republicanism also tried to bring down the gfa, only with murder and intimidation

so if statement is true for one then it’s true for the other.

So a chance to show you are not spinning and are not wildly prejudiced- let’s here you and francie say ‘republicanism tried to bring gown gfa and failed’

Worth pointing out that, whoever wins in the Court of Appeal in Belfast, there is more than a 99% chance that the losing side will appeal to the Supreme Court in London, so this is unlikely to be the last word on the subject.

Which is not to say that this hearing is unimportant. Any Supreme Court hearing will be framed as an appeal against what the Court of Appeal has decided, which means that the arguments advanced in, and ruled on, by the Court of Appeal will effectively set the parameters of what might be considered by the Supreme Court.

And a final note: in recent years the Supreme Court has a strong tradition of affirming the authority of Parliament - ruling that it was for Parliament, not Ministers, to invoke Art 50; ruling that Ministers could not rely on prerogative powers to prorogue Parliament in order to escape parliamentary scrutiny; etc. On this trend the smart money will favour a loss for Bryson and his friends; they are essentially arguing that the laws enacted by Parliament have to be ruled invalid because they are not expressed as amendments to the Act of Union. The present Supreme Court is not a court which will lightly set aside an Act of Parliament, particularly one enacted to comply with the UK's international obligations.

• Advertisement

Any chance you can tell me what was untrue about what I said?

Did 'Unionists" try to bring down both agreements'?

Yes they did...that will be a true statement for all time.

Knowing Unionism's luck they will probably win it and plunge the UK into a further crisis and into a No Deal scenario again.

Would be the kind of strategic mess they are good at making.

I would bet you a pint and a chaser that the applicants do not ultimately succeed but, as I live in Australia and travel restrictions prevent me coming to Ireland, I couldn't collect (or pay up, if came to that) in the foreseeable future. So it'll have to be a virtual bet.

But don't mistake Bryson and his chums for "unionism"; it's a diverse movement, and they're not the whole of it. The UUP seems to me to be moving cautiously in the direction of a more realistic assessment of NI's best interests in the current situation. They may be doing this because they genuinely feel some duty to act in NI's best interests, or because they hope to outflank the DUP and recover some of the support they have lost in the past two decades, or possibly even for both reasons. Whatever the motivation, the shift is welcome.

Well I did say at the start of all this that it would be 'Never Never Never...ah shure go on', all over again. But Unionism has damaged itself even further as a result. I disagree on Bryson...maybe not a moderate Unionist, but to all practical intents he is representative of belligerent Unionism, with the DUP slightly less so, and I think, now addicted to the comfy seats.

The majority of Unionists vote for a party now that did not support and did not sign the GFA back then.

Now compare that to this. The majority of Nationalists vote for a party now that supported a terrorist campaign killing their neighbours back then.

Both of those statements are true, but neither of them are relevant to any current discussion around the PIRA, the GFA or the Irish Protocol. In fact, they just flame the discussion.

What is true and relevant is that the most popular Unionist party at the time supported the GFA, and the most popular Nationalist party at the time rejected the PIRA.

So Francie's statement is just spin against the Unionist community. As for support for the GFA, it is diminishing, and that is true on both sides. You only have to look at the number of nationalist politicians who ignore the GFA restrictions in calling for a border poll now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Just more spin from Blanch. The reality is that the UUP were out of step with the greater body of unionism when they signed the GFA.

That betrayal would later bite them at the ballot box as the DUP took the lion share of unionists.

Additonally, the PIRA campaign was not a terrorist campaign directed at their neighbours (ordinary unionists), rather it was directed at the British government and her proxies.

Francie's statement was completely true in every word.

Yourself and downcow's umbrage is the same though.

I've no issue with acknowledging the attempts of dissident Republicans to undermine and bring down the GFA. Fortunately dissident Republicanism is a niche view even within Republicanism and it has no mandate. Any Republican with a mandate supported the GFA. The DUP had a significant mandate when they opposed the GFA, which continued to grow after they opposed it. There was a democratic mandate for opposing the GFA within Unionism that just didn't exist within Nationalism, so I won't be berated into suggesting they are the same with your insinuations of sectar

I've provided exact numbers on how many Unionist voters did not support the GFA, support among Nationalists was significantly higher.

I've also no issue with Blanch's statement that a majority of Nationalists vote for a party with significant links to terrorism.....it is also a factual statement, and one that you make yourself regularly enough without half the faux offense you seem to be taking on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭KildareP

Would be interesting if it came to pass - stranger things have happened.

If the Protocol is deemed illegal and invalid domestically, I suspect the UK thinks it gets to just walk away from it but keep everything else otherwise as is.

Except, that's not the EU's problem - that was up to the UK negotiating team to know what was and was not possible. To not, is either bad faith negotiation or downright incompetence. Neither of which are grounds to be allowed walk away from what they signed up to.

So, if the Protocol is breached then the TCA will fall as a matter of course.

We could see a true test of the Union faced with that set of circumstances - the Protocol or the Act of Union will decide the fact fate of the overall Brexit TCA deal.

And if they think they can turn to the world stage and seek sympathy because of the EU holding them to the Protocol regardless, they're going to need one hell of a negotiating team to convince any country the world over that it's worth negotiating with the UK at all.

EDIT: Typo

Post edited by KildareP on

• Advertisement

If you read my post again, you will see that I acknowledge that strictly speaking, your statement was true.

However, I stand over my opinion that it was misleading, intending to flame the discussion and was irrelevant to the debate.

Advertisement