Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Omicron variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 19,842 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It was my understanding at the start that they were clear that there was a shortage of masks and PPE for medical staff and they wanted to priortise for their benefit so they told people to isolate rather than going out and about with masks - especially as people were not used to wearing them and didn't understand the basics such as not touching the outside of the mask and rubbing your face etc. They didn't want to give the false sense of security that you were bulletproof with a mask.

I mean they wanted the masks for the healthcare workers. They were clear about that from the start. They obviously were saying that masks were important.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Guardian reporting the UK are investigating hundreds of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,655 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Is there any government decision you wouldn't defend? They have made some mistakes, it's okay to admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

True enough but some agencies were saying that it wasn't 'airborne' at the time.

• Advertisement

Well I wasn't really putting that much pass on them. One of the things I was doing around Feb 2020 involved a couple of Chinese students. As soon as the news came in about covid, they had masks on. If you've traveled abroad at all, even say to the big US cities like NY, you will see that it was common for Chinese people to wear masks in crowded areas. This was before covid.

So I guess that I took my cues from that. That plus the pleas for people not to be snapping up PPE and to leave it available for healthcare workers. Here are some examples, from around March 2020, of places donating masks and more to Healthcare workers

I don't know how you didn't cop on that at the same time you were understanding that "masks were useless", that they were pleading with the public to leave them available for essential healthcare workers.

Post edited by Donald Trump on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Just looking there at stats, South Africa had case positivity yesterday of 3.7%. As recently as last September there were at 21%. Clearly, early days, blah, blah, blah, but that doesn't exactly smack of a Super Mutant Omni-killing Variant?

Including several that pre-date the first known cases in Africa. Could get interesting.

Australia has had among the strictest set of restrictions on the planet, yet Omicron still managed to sneak into the country. Anyone who thinks it's possible to control the spread of a contagious virus has lost all sense of perspective.

We couldn't stop Alpha or Beta becoming the dominant strain.

We couldn't stop Delta becoming the dominant strain.

And we won't stop Omicron from becoming the dominant strain (if it ends up outcompeting Delta).

The idea that further restrictions are warranted based on the existence of a new variant is irrationally impulsive and doomed to fail.

That would be the WHO rather than the Irish government.

And I think the confusion hinged on the definition of the word "airbourne"

• Advertisement

The idea that you think anyone is imposing restrictions under the impression that they can avoid it forever is "irrationally impulsive".

Restrictions are merely to slow it down so that we can have enough ICU beds for the anti-vaxx idiots instead of them all catching it at the same time and using them all up for the regular people who need them.

They're saying they expect SA cases to triple next week but their positivity rate has been stagnant for the past 3/4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Actually more than one.

It's the first man and his whole family of 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

According to Jonathan Van Tam: "If vaccine effectiveness is reduced as seems pretty likely then the biggest effects are likely to be in preventing infections"

It's not like the vaccines are great at preventing Delta infections so I don't see how omicron could be much more of an issue

There's no evidence as yet to suggest that it causes more severe illness.

Imposing severe restrictions based on scant evidence is disproportionate and wholly irrational.

I'm in favour of vaccinations and sensible precautions and so on, but if we're to adhere to "we're following the science...", then perhaps it's best to wait for the science to prove that there are substantial additional risks.

Furthermore, it will take quite some time for it to become the dominant variant (if that's the trajectory) - well past the Delta December wave - so ICU should be readily available thereafter anyway (as well as an abundance of booster shots done throughout the population) and natural exposure.

Also, there's a difference between reduced efficacy from vaccines (in terms of catching the infection/mild symptoms), and reduction in severe illness. Having the population exposed to very mild symptoms but still with massive protection from against hospitalisation and death etc., is a very slimy use of the phrase "lack of vaccine effectiveness".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

At the same time as the PPE shortage the HSE advice displayed on their website was that masks were only of value for those caring for covid patients, or for covid patients themselves. They posted extremely contradictory information. They also had a slew of advisors wheeled out to say that masks were counterproductive. Until of course they weren't. Wash your hands like you've got OCD and cough into your sleeve ballsology was the order of the day if you were a moron in a packed tesco stockpiling a bogroll mountain. Then we had the chief handwasher professor type telling people at a press conference that hand hygiene was all and that asymptomatic spread wasn't a concern a month after actual research published in respected scientific and medical outlets showed that it most certainly was. Something a dribbling imbecile with a search engine could have found out with one click. Oh and misrepresented the main Alpha symptoms as a runny nose and sore throat while he was at it.

They were most certainly not saying that masks were important for public health. Quite the opposite and mandatory mask wearing was resisted at the start. To say otherwise displays either a bad memory, or a wish to reinvent the past.

But let's forget the dim and distant past of 18 months ago shall we? Today we're told that transmission seems to magically drop away at the school gate, that transmission is an issue in shops and on the bus so you must wear a mask, but again magically drops away in a full pub or nightclub so you don't have to. Well until midnight rolls around and then bejaysus, look out. It seems we have a new type out there, the Gremlin variant. We don't need to look into the past to see utter bloody nonsense and contradictory "advice" and protocols in plain view.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

He arrived in Italy on November 12th, and we were notified on 27th, two weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I'll get worried when O-mega comes along. They will have run out of the Greek alphabet and then what will they do?

Wibbs, not everything is binary. And to imply it is is highly disingenuous.

Just because they need to make exceptions and priortise is not a justification for free for all anarchy.

Fantastic thread here. A South African scientist calling out that clown Ding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Give it human names like the Alan , Bob, Charles or Dave Variant.

Beware of the Karen variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

I recall an active sneering in the media at people who had begun wearing masks early on in the pandemic, that they were wasting their time. The infamous comments by Luke O'Neill on the Late Late comes to mind, for example. Tubridy asks him why there's panic about mask wearing and he responds "they've watched too many horror movies".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have no idea what being binary or not has anything to do with anything. Though it does seem the government advice seems to think the virus is. Relatively unlikely to get around a packed pub or school, but much more likely to get around a bus or your local tesco. And who the hell is calling for a "free for all anarchy"? I don't know what post you just read, but it certainly wasn't the one I wrote. Keeping the schools open is political, keeping the pubs and clubs open is political and economic. It's not scientifically valid if they wanted to keep transmission rates down.

Indeed I think the economic and educational and psychological future well being of the vast majority of Irish people who will only experience a mild illness from this pox, especially after vaccination is more important than shutting everything down. I just wish they were at least trying to be honest about that. If we had the spare hospital capacity - which we don't because of decades of government, civil service and union mismanagement - I'd be opening the country up more.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭landofthetree

We aren't be told the full story. Same last year with Delta.

Its lockdown on the horizon. Then 6 months to get the new vaccines out. Then a new variant again. It will never end.

Unless this virus actually mutates into something that starts killing more people and more people under 50(and I'm 53) I for one will ignore any lockdown if and when it comes. I will continue to wear masks indoors in public places and practice hand hygiene and the like, but I'll be damned if I will follow another lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

They could borrow last year’s unused storm names from the Met Office!

No need to worry until we get to Varient Patricia!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

Your man Luke O’Neill is just a mouthpiece of the Government and whatever “public health advice” is in vogue on that particular day. How people still can’t see that I’ll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I see some experts are speculating that omicron has already been in circulation for some time now. In general though I'm seeing a lot of experts with positives appraisals of what we know so far i.e. mild symptoms, vaccines work against it, no hospitalisation spike in South Africa. Of course they all footnote this with the warning that we don't know for sure yet and all the fear mongers latch onto this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

But why?. I never get in this narrative who people think are profiting from such lockdowns. And yes there are some, but most people, including most wealthy / influential people, do not want lockdowns. There isn't a Bilderburg Group somewhere planning this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Headline in the Daily Mail saying that global experts are stating that this variant will be good for the world. Possibly pandemic ending?

Advertisement