Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on upgrade

Options
  • 29-11-2021 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

Hey all

Long story short, i just came into a bit of cash (€850) and its earmarked for my PC.

My current rig is getting a bit old, but it still handles most things quite well:

i7 4770k OC'd to 4.2.ghz

32GB DDR4 Ram

1660 GTX

So i have this 850 to spend on the PC, and my question is this: Blow it all on a new GPU, (i wanted a 3060) or spend it on a new Mobo, CPU, & M2 SSD. I heat the new intel 1200s are good, and i saw one for sale for 300 euro or so which seemed pretty good.

What you guys think would be the best option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭blackbullet

the ram and gpu looks ok for now but id go the ryzen amd route for cpu as for the gpu stocks arent that good at the moment anywhere how old is your rig dude is it for gaming and designs,my rig is now 5 years oldspecs,amd 8 corefx cpu,24gb high speed ram ddr3,15tb of storage,gtx960 shes still goes i use for blender renders and stuff dont game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I mostly game on it, but i do make youtube videos too (the money actually came from a myterious benefactor who enjoyed my videos!) so it needs to be good at rendering too. Current PC wasbuilt in the tail end of 2014. Ive been looking around for 3060 stock and its a nightmare. Only one i can find is in currys, a Ti for 849 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Really you need a whole new PC not just one thing.

CPU is very low-end for the latest games, that would be my personal priority, at least with a GTX1660 you can lower some settings for the desired framerate, trying to play some of the newer games on a 4790 would be painful.

I would suggest selling the full PC as it is and buying a pre-built, it's the only half decent way to get any sort of value these days. As you aside yourself you'll pay your entire budget for just a half decent card and you'd still be hugely hamstrung by your CPU.

Otherwise, a Ryzen 5600, B550M, 16GB DDR4 3600mhz and a nice 1TB nvme. Not too sure what Intel are at these days in that price range but a 10th gen i5-K would be similar price and perform very similarly. It can be all swings and roundabouts very much depending on what your needs, demands and expectations are.

Intel is good for budget, something like i5-10400F is pretty cheap and a solid budget processor, six cores and twelve threads, versus 4/8 in your old i7, and much faster per core.

Either way, worry about the card down the line, a GTX1660 will get through for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I have the 1660 myself, good enough card for casual gaming [actually decent enough to run many games max at 1080p] but if I was more serious into it and looking to go beyond 1080p I would be upgrading. You don't say what PSU you have in the system? If it's only a 500-550w you might want to also upgrade that to run a 3060 or better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Thanks! Appreciate that. Yeah in the end i decided to go with the CPU/Mobo etc instead of a GFX card.

Went with the following:

£108.29 x 1 - MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk (AMD AM4) B550 ATX Motherboard

£224.99 x 1 - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core 4.6GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail

£112.49 x 1 - WD Blue SN550 2TB SSD NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 Solid State Drive (WDS200T2B0C)

£116.66 x 1 - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4 Memory Dual Kit

Should hopefully be a step up from the current rig, especially for video encoding. And maybe sometime next year GPU prices will return to normal... lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement