Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ECM espresso machine recommendation or alternative

Options
  • 16-10-2021 7:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi there, have simonelli musica for a number of year and begining to show its age. Was starting to look for a replacement. I mostly brew espresso but for family events lots of milk based drinks. Was interested in heat exchanger type set up and that would be easy to service as I have really found it hard to a good engineer for the musica. Looking for recommendations or people experience with ECM espresso machines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/forum/72-ecm-profitec-forum/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 davymcl2050

I have just put a Profitec Pro 600 on adverts for sale. Owned since May 2021, only filtered water used. Purchased from Home Coffee Machines, based in Galway. They have confirmed that warranty can be transferred to new owner. Unable to paste link as I am new.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mraie

Thanks for heads up on the profitec, I did see it on adverts but thought a little bit more that what I was after. I wanted to do a bit more research on it but looks a great machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭bergipau

The lelit Elizabeth is also worth a look, it’s a dual boiler, I bought one last June and I’m very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mraie

Thanks for the recommendation. Lelit looks interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Rancilio Silvia Pro/Pro X.

Dual boiler with PID for both boilers.

Pro X is newest model with brewing pressure gage and more advanced firmware ( pre-infusion support etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Am going round and round in circles wondering what to buy. Not for the first time! This crops up for me every 6 months or so.

We drink flat whites, we make them using a Krupps blade grinder and a Bialetti moka pot. Generally pretty happy with the output - so obviously not a coffee snob. We don't tend to be too adventurous with beans, often whatever is on special in Tesco or SuperValu. Have tried Fixx lately, very nice. We only really drink coffee on weekends or on holidays, 1 per day. I know it is not a great "investment" but still can't stop myself thinking of upgrading.

I'm swayed by the argument of investing in separate new machine and new grinder, as opposed to an all-in-one. I'm not sure why - and maybe I have already transferred to the coffee-snob side by splitting the two. I think part of the reason is that if one breaks it could be annoying. Plus the argument that you'll get better components if purchased individually.

I have been looking at the Rancilio Pro, and see that there's an offer on Coffee Italia for this with Anfim Haus Self. Is that a decent grinder? Or should I go for the Rancilio V6 (and maybe install a PID) and get a better grinder? Or something else entirely? Any thoughts welcome - including "cop yourself on you only drink a couple of coffees a week".

Sorry to post again, but in an attempt to save others from angst & continuous searching & self-doubt....I have come to a decision. Well, a decision in principal anyhow. If I make the plunge, it will be the Silvia V6 + Rocky, homecoffeemachines.ie do a deal on it. Looks like a bit of a no-brainer from a value/quality perspective.

When I get notions, I can go for a PID https://mecoffee.nl/order/

Anyone got any thoughts on whether the above will be a noticeable improvment on a blade grinder and a bialatti moke pot for someone who likes strong-ish not-bitter flat whites. Am prepared to invest some time in dialling in/getting the perfect shot.

If most of your coffee whites( latte/cappuccino etc) then single boiler not a great option.

Dual boiler obviously best choice or heat exchanger if you want to save some money.

Silvia v6 with PID great machine if you drinking espresso or Americano.

If you go with Silvia ,make sure you adjust OPV , only Pro version set to 9 bars brewing pressure, regular Silvia,anything between 10-12 Bar .

( you’ll need 2 x20mm spanners) and

Pressure gauge

https://www.bluestarcoffee.eu/portafilter-pressure-gauge-15985-p.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You might want to also consider this: https://www.coffeeitalia.ie/quick-mill-pegaso-03035.html

The grinder is of good quality and uses ring burrs.

There is also a PID version of the Pegasso, but not sure of any local distributors:

https://www.quickmill.it/en/products/group-quick-mill/mod-03035-pid/

Moka pots operate at too high a temperature for good coffee extraction. I used one for decades and swore by it, but having moved to a good espresso machine, I would never recommend one. You should taste a difference from that alone.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Advertisement

Is it a significant compromise to have to make the coffee and do the milk sequentially? Or am I missing something? Each coffee should only take 25-35 seconds, right?

It is much easier, less effort to do it with dual boiler .

As a coffee snob I am not drinking coffee with milk :) so single boiler with PID working fine for me.

It is probably between

Silvia Pro vs Lelit Elizabeth PL92t

A silvia pro and new grinder is big money to invest on a first setup.

I used a silvia v1 and rocky for 15 years and 99% of our coffees are flat whites or cappuccino.

id recommend starting with a standard silvia and a good grinder. With my silvia I normally pulled my espresso shots, turned on the steam and it is ready to steam in a few mins.

if you want to steam and pull shots at the same time then there are some great heat exchanger machines which are more reasonable than dual boiler machines.

i should be selling my v1 and rocky next week (silvia being serviced at the moment), it would be 350 for both the grinder and silvia

Thanks for that. Yes, I have this nagging feeling I am going too high end for my pallet & wallet!

As in, I don't really need a dual boiler, but I would like something with PID. And I definitely want to go the separate grinder route, even if the Sage pictures are very pretty!

Any got recommendations on a single boiler/heat exchanger with PID?

Personally I believe the silvia is the best starter machine. they are built to last. I think you should go silvia and add a pid.

I couldn't disagree more. In the same way I would advise buying a performance car a factory sorted, rather than something not built for it and then trying to outdo the factory engineers by modding it.

Thanks - that's coming in at around 1k, with the Silvia Pro (dual boiler, kick ass steam for the milky drinker in my life) plus a Rocky available for €1,600. Kind of thinking that the Silvia Pro plus a grinder is hard to beat at that price.

• Advertisement

@cnocbui I know what you are saying, I will admit I am bias to the silvia because I had one for years, they are a reliable machine and easy fix if there are issues I never bothered with the pid, but I was on the todo list for years

A silvia pro for 1k. Wow that is an amazing price, I was looking earlier but his year and the cheapest I found it was 1400. I went for the Elizabeth because it was about 200 cheaper and had some extras the silvia doesn’t

If you can afford the pro, go for it.

It definitely not heat exchanger, probably good machine , for the person like me :) ( who only does milky coffee for the visitors)

It is 400 ml boiler with PID for brewing and thermoblock for steaming.

So you definitely have a good chance to make great espresso shot ( 400 ml boiler vs 300 ml boiler for Silvia) and PID allow you to tweak temperature for every stubborn bean.

Thermoblock for the steaming not the great choice for the milky person , I am not sure if anyone else doing this , to be honest ,apart from Delonghi , Nespesso etc. not a popular choice for €1000 machines.

Heat exchanger different system altogether, it is a big boiler for steaming ( 1-2 litres) and coil with brewing water inside the steaming boiler . This system would be good compromise for the person who drinks milky coffee mostly , lots of steaming power but no precise temperature control over the brewing water .

Post edited by alec76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Anything’s a big improvement on a blade grinder. You can’t get consistency with a blade.

Won’t comment on the quality of what you’re buying as I don’t know enough about them but separate grinder and machine is the way to go for 3 reasons -

generally you get a better quality grinder

your machine is not heating your grinder which reduces consistency

if your machine breaks, you won’t want to keep something big for only grinding and if the grinder breaks your also taking more space than you need.

If you’re going to the effort of buying the 2, buy something like the black mirror scale and weigh everything. A dosing funnel is also worth the investment. Also i’d buy fresh beans online - how “fresh” is overrated in my mind but you have no idea how long since beans on a supermarket shelf were roasted

Ok, I'm triggered - and biased. My Quickmill has an inbuilt grinder, which produces what I consider excellent results, so I am wondering what experience exactly are you basing your expertise on the quality and functioning of all inbuilt grinders on? How do you know that the consistency varies with temperature, for instance?

Quickmill is an Italian company that has more than half a century of expertise in making stand alone coffee grinders, as well as other kitchen appliances that do violent things to foodstuffs. They currently make 5 different grinders: https://www.quickmill.it/en/products/grinders/

as well as a range of espresso machines, both with and without grinders.

This is the burr set in a Pegasso like mine:

Now I am sure some machines with integrated grinders may well have less impressive dentures and performance, but that doesn't mean all do, so generalisations and equipment snobbery just don't cut it and are not helpful without something other than hearsay or prejudice as the prime information source.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Not saying you can’t get a very high quality built in and it’s not snobbery, I use a built in myself. It’s a generalisation. If I was buying now i’d keep them separate. I doubt you’d disagree that small variances can make a big difference and unless the burr doesn’t expand when heated (i’ve seen decent variance myself in my own) your not going to get the same consistency.

That is exactly what I was objecting to - generalisations. My Honda doesn't have the same reliability as the previous Fiat. After 15 years it's still on it's original exhaust, wheras the Fiat at 11 years was on it's third. If someone were to allege that all cars are generally unreliable and a pain, I would similarly speak up.

My Quickmill heats in 1 minute and it's usually only 3 by the time I run a shot. The grinder section is to the side, back and down from the thermobock and when I have had occasion to stick my hand in the hopper, it's just warm, and nowhere close to hot. Warm isn't going to expand metal parts to any degree that would matter. I haven't noticed any tendancy to variance in grind consistency.

If I were to replace the machine, I wouldn't hesitate to get another Quickmill with an inbuilt grinder and haven't once considered getting a standalone.

Advertisement