Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

6.1 kWp, but also I have a great orientation (directly south) and no shadow what so ever at any time of the day. I am also in a fairly exposed open site so I get the full path of the sun.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

That's super impressive ECO_Mental. Do you have a way in varying the angle of incidence?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Great generation, but are you 100% sure you were still generating circa 800w at 18:00?

It's pitch dark here at 18:00.

Yeah I think it was just a bug in the Solis logger, although the moon was very bright last night 😁

No its fixed at 40 deg off the vertical, that stretch in the graph is to do with some bug in the Solis inverter or data logger. Here is today's graph

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Another case of aspect jealousy, lousy 1.3kWh today, amongst my worst days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭deravarra

Beat you there slave......but not in a good way. Officially worst day for me since i got up an running a month ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

24.1 kWh, 23.5kwh and 16kwh for last three days is far from what the start of the month provided so month is ending well. If only December is as successful I would be delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Hi folks,

New to the forum and solar PV. We have had 8 x 340 w panels installed to the rear elevation which was connected up on Monday afternoon. We have a Huaewi Sun2000 3KLT inverter and the electrician set us up on a FusionSolar app which I had to download from the Huawei website. They have to come back and install some Huawei smart power sensor which I am told will provide better monitoring but at the moment the system is up and running. It is a 2.800 kWp system as we are limited to 8 panels due to roof size.

It was Monday evening by the time they got the system up and running but in the past two days we have generated a total of 2.9kWh.

Screenshot attached taken at 10am this morning. Does this look right to you? So far after monitoring yesterday and again today I have not seen the PV kW monitor go above 0.300.

• Advertisement

Welcome LimerickCity. Know it well, grew up on the Ennis road myself!

So it's hard to say if your production is right or not as it depends on a number of factors, such as orientation of your panels to the sun, how bright a day it is in Lmk etc. In general though, you typically only get about 10% if it's a cloudy day. Right now in Dublin it's overcast here and I'm seeing.

Current production of a whopping 39 watts. This is on a system which is nearly twice as large as your (5.3Kwp) Really, this time of the year with the sun very low on the southern horizon anything which isn't due south facing really struggles to generate much power.

Its setting up to break my previous worst day of 1.2Kwhr generated. 😓

Thanks for update Bullit. I am actually in Clareview myself so not too far from the Ennis Road. Best way to describe the orientation would be that in the middle of summer the sun arrives in the back garden around 10am and we have full sun in the back garden all day long until it sets in the evening.

The panels are on the rear elevation.

Yesterday was probably the worst day we have had in Limerick since last winter. Just our luck :)

I just wanted to shout out here for some advice as I am still coming to terms with how they function. We are both at home all day so trying to get the best out of the system in terms of using appliances like washing machine, dryer, dishwasher etc.

Ha! Grew up across the road from you in Highfield - small world.

Well you came to the right place in terms of advice. However, the sad reality is that from late Oct -> early March, unless you have a big array facing directly due south, you are not going to generate enough power to really matter much with what you do with the washing machine, dish washer during the day.

In fact, the smartest thing you can do if you haven't done it already it try and get yourself onto a day/night tariff with your electricity provider. This is key with solar installations. For obvious reasons the solar panels work during the day, so for 7-8 months a year you've got your day time usage covered, so you want to pay as cheap as you can for nighttime. And of course if you are on a night rate, you will run your washing machine etc at 11pm onwards at cheap rate.

I only recently moved across from Energia to Electric Ireland as the unit rate for dual fuel worked out cheaper so I am not sure if I would be able to switch.

On a positive note we got a bit of sun this afternoon and the reading did increase up to 1.699kW. So far today it has generated 3.5kw.

Only a paltry 1.4 KwHr myself here in Dublin. Disadvantage of an East/West split in the winter time is that with the sun mostly to the south, you get very little production. I do get much better than now in the summer though from very early am to late pm - but yeah, now is terrible for me

On the bright side for you 3.5Kwhr isn't bad for this time of year. That's 70 cents or so in electricity you generated today to spend on a pack of Tayto's :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I also have a huawei system.

Once they add the power sensor it will tell you how much the house is using from the grid.

You'll then have the monthly summaries of how much was consumed vs imported in the statisitics.

There is also a website for fusionsolar https://eu5.fusionsolar.huawei.com

It's just the same data in slightly different format.

This is my app, I have battery storage as well, but you'll see it has values for grid and house load.

I know there is worse coming in December, but today has been the worst day for production since I installed the thing 6 weeks ago. (5.3Kwp split East/West)

Total production: 0.9Kwhr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I passed last year's November total today with a day to spare. Couple of good days last week and I'm now 1.5kWh above the 2020 total. Not expecting much tomorrow but can't complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,639 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I had 0.7 kWh production yesterday (5.7kWp) ! Worst day for me since install in May.

On the flip side I had 7.14kWh production today!

Thanks mate. That is exactly what I am looking at. It will hopefully be installed today or tomorrow.

One further question.

My understanding was that my output would be 2.72kWh but when I check the inverter it is telling me 2.80kWh. Would that mean that I have 8 x 350w panels instead of 8 x 340w?

• Advertisement

Could be, although panels have a rating which is based on a specific temperature. For example, they might say 350W @ 25 Celsius. You'd think that a sunny day would produce the most power, but usually the hotter it is, the less efficient the cells are ironically. That's not to confuse power with efficiency. You'll get more power on a sunny day, but the panels themselves wouldn't be the most efficient - if you follow me.

Or another way in explaining it, is more energy will fall on a square meter on a sunny day, but it might only convert 18% of that energy as opposed to 20% on a cooler day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

If it's the value from string details that is just for information and it's whatever the installer enters during commissioning.

It doesn't have any impact on the operation of the system.

My own shows two 3.8kw strings, 7.6kw is the right total but they are actually split as 4.56kw and 3.04kw.

Only producing 300w right now as it's dull wet day with heavy drizzle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭THE ALM

First full day of production yesterday.

8.16kw SSW

9.7kwh produced

About 4kw to battery and 2.7kw to Eddi

Battery took us to about 11pm.

Battery took us to about 11pm.

Perfect! Just when night rate kicked in. Exactly what you want! Nice production too. I managed only a measly 1.3Kwhr off a 5.3Kwp system (east/west) in Dublin yesterday. Those southward facing panels really kick ass in the winter. My day will come in summertime :0) !

You've a very sweet system there ALM

😁 Thanks bullit_dodger.

If I can reach the 11pm on battery I'll be happy.

Not so nice here today but still 1.6kWh generated so far.

Need to look at getting the battery charged at night rate on these days as I thought I had everything set correctly, missed something somewhere so need to check settings again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,639 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I think you can set the inverter to charge using both night rate and solar. Not an either or.

The lads here will tell you exactly how to do that once they know your inverter type.

You might want to think a little about that - charging the battery at night rate that is. Sure on days like today you want to do it, but with days like yesterday, you want that battery (mostly) empty when the solar production kicks in. Probably charge it at 7am at night rate up to 40%, which will hopefully last from 8am -> 10am until your panels start to take up the slack.

Hard one to call as it depends on weather forecast a little. I like toying with it myself, but in reality you'll only save a few euros a month......if that. Still, it's a nice game to play. Easier for me than others as I can change the charging parameters via the web, so I'm not having to go to the physical inverter, which for many people is in the attic and not readily accessible to muck about with things.

Thanks 6.

Ready the manual and looking online the settings seem right, Solis inverter.

I have self use mode selected, times of use set and allow to charge from grid selected. I think I have just missed something so will double check this evening.

For me being in a red storm warning area just outside Cork City I had a pretty decent days production. (6.1kWp) Also all my panels are still on my roof....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭deravarra

Would love to see a "Storm Barra Wind Turbine Production" thread

Advertisement