Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ivermectin discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

There has been studies done and it has been found that there is no evidence for it's use. By all means, continue randomized controlled trials but stop endangering public health by saying that it in any way treats covid with the current evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭PureIsle

There have been studies done and they found there is great evidence for its use.

Stop endangering public health by saying it does not in any way treat covid with the current evidence.

See? I can do that too ........ and it is just as meaningful as your statement.

That is another meta analysis and contrary to your post it states it is uncertain ...... so according to them IVM could or could not be beneficial.

In effect after doing their meta analysis they do not know the answers to the questions they tried to answer.

"Based on the current very low- to low-certainty evidence, we are uncertain about the efficacy and safety of ivermectin used to treat or prevent COVID-19."

There are other meta analyses done which have both positive and negative conclusions.

Nothing is settled regarding IVM and its efficacy against Covid.

Its safety is not in question in recommended doses.

• Advertisement

No - I wrote a post specifically adressing not Vitamin D itself but the nurse's video about a report the Irish government had related to Vitamin D. Both the report and the coverage of it from that nurse were pretty bad.

There is no evidence to suggest it's effective. Therefore it shouldn't be taken by gombeens outside of randomized controlled trials.

It might be worth noting that this is how a lot of science is done. When we fail to show a positive effect of something we do not go around expressing out certainty that the thing does nothing. In science we tend to use cautious language of that sort. So if we test Treatment X on Disease Y and we find no evidence of efficacy we say that "we are uncertain about any benefit of it's use blah blah blah". It is quite common language to use.

For example - this was only mentioned on the site the other day - women drinking alcohol during pregnancy. We know it can cause harm but we do not know at what level it can cause harm. And in fact the quantity it takes to cause harm in one woman will be very different to the next. But there is very little evidence that a woman having a glass of wine of a weekend while pregnant will actually cause any harm at all. So do we call that quantity "safe" because we have found no evidence it is unsafe or harmful?

No - what is said instead in recommendations is that "There is no known safe" quantity of alcohol to drink during pregnancy. See how cautious we can be with our language? :) Despite finding no evidence whatsoever that a few glasses of wine over the course of a pregnancy will cause any harm at all - it seems we still can not say that.

The simple fact is that I am yet to see a single paper giving any evidence for the efficacy of Ivermetin against Covid in actual patients outside a petri dish. You seem to indicate above that you have seen some that I have not. By all means cite so I can read them myself.

As for it's safety not being in question - that too is not an entirely safe question. Drugs safety is always in question because we do not have a complete database on drug interactions. I wrote on this earlier in the thread too. The more drugs we have "in the wild" the more potential there is they will react in unforeseen ways with other drugs. This is of course a risk we sometimes have to take. But not for pointless reasons or for no reasons at all. If there is no evidence whatsoever a drug like Ivermectin is helping here - then simply throwing it out there because "Ah shure it seems safe dunnit?" is past irresponsible and I am glad to hope it is users on forums like this with no say or influence whatsoever and not actual policy makers who would even begin to think in that direction.

This article is a preprint and has not been peer-reviewed [what does this mean?]. It reports new medical research that has yet to be evaluated and so should not be used to guide clinical practice.

"Why COVID-19 is not so spread in Africa: How does Ivermectin affect it?"

"Conclusions The morbidity and mortality in the onchocerciasis endemic countries are lesser than those in the non-endemic ones. The community-directed onchocerciasis treatment with ivermectin is the most reasonable explanation for the decrease in morbidity and fatality rate in Africa. In areas where ivermectin is distributed to and used by the entire population, it leads to a significant reduction in mortality."

If the results of use of IVM in 31 countries indicate it is beneficial, then that is good enough for me.

That is even before I consider the results of its use in GOA or Uttar Pradesh. The use in Uttar Pradesh was "micro" managed by the WHO, and those results have never been even questioned, nor debunked.

But, we are all entitled to make up our own minds, regardless what might be posted on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In Uttar Pradesh, the WHO sponsored initiative to combat covid, which included door to door contact tracing, testing, distribution of masks and home treatment kits.

Ivermectin in RCTS has not shown benefit in therapy of covid. How does Ivermectin in a home treatment kit lead to reduced cases in Uttar Pradesh? Nothing to do with the masks? Contact tracing and isolation of infected households? Apparently it must be Ivermectin, even though it has shown no benefit to treating covid in repeated trials...

Again, and I've challenged this before, where is the source that the WHO approved Ivermectin use there?

Where is the full contents of the home kits given out?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

The use of Ivermectin in India has been throughly debunked in this thread. You may as well say water is an effective treatment for treating Covid as Ivermectin based on the evidence that has presented in the Indian case. We also have an example in Brazil that completely contradicts the Indian example. Just because you ignore evidence doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Again to repeat no properly conducted study has shown any beneficial effect for Ivermectin when it comes to Covid treatment. The company that makes Ivermectin doesn't think it works when it comes to Covid treatment.

I appreciate you believe in Ivermectin but when it comes to Covid, Ivermectin is snake oil/a scam etc based on current evidence. However its important that people who read this thread are presented with the facts. The issue with propagating false information is that it does damage. If a person thinks incorrectly that Ivermectin protects them against Covid, they will be lulled into a false sense of security. This means that they will be less likely to get a vaccine and in more serious cases of Covid contact medical professionals on a timely basis. People who have access to treatments that are effective, have been tested and have actual evidence of effectiveness behind them.

Of course you are right.

Nowhere else used lockdowns, isolation, test and trace, and masks so it must one or all of those things and not ivermectin.

As for the WHO involvement that has already been posted but you are invited to check out the WHO site for confirmation. Although as you have not done so up to date I doubt you will now.

It is your claim so you must have already this info. So where is the info on the WHO site or independent confirmation they approved Ivermectin use?

You seem to know so much about what happened in Uttar Pradesh. What were the full contents of the kit?

In Uttar Pradesh there was door to door contact tracing and testing...

"House to house visits undertaken in a mammoth drive in over 90,000 villages of UP to identify & isolate COVID+ve citizens & trace contacts."

Or are you just throwing up a smokescreen when your fake news is challenged?

As I have already provided the information it is obvious you either did not go to the link provided or you pretend you did not get it.

Either way, I am not hear to indulge your silliness.

It has been posted so go look for yourself, and if you have any questions about the content I suggest you contact the site owners for further information.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

As I have already provided the information it is obvious you either did not go to the link provided or you pretend you did not get it.

I saw a link you provided to an article that described WHO supported initiatives in Uttar Pradesh, but the article didn't mention Ivermectin, and it also mentioned that people were being advised to get vaccinated. How do you claim that is providing information supporting benefits of Ivermectin?

If you believe in Ivermectin, why do you believe that? I'm on the fence as regards Ivermectin. I found studies that claimed marginal benefits, but some others that showed marginally worse outcomes, so on average it looked very much unproven. If Ivermectin was so clearly beneficial why can't it be shown? I, for one, would be very happy for Ivermetin to be shown to be a tool that can be used against Covid, but I haven't seen convincing evidence yet!

Nope you posted none of the information you were asked for. You linked to some site in the dregs of the internet which made some sketchy claims thats all.

I saw sketchy cos it doesnt list and you seem unable to even list the contents of the kit.

Its hilarious you dont even know the full contents of the kit but you believe a site which says WHO approved Ivermectins use. Something they provide no substantiation for.

Or you know... the actual contents of the kit. Doesnt suggest they actually know what they are talking about.

You linked to a WHO page which mentions the test and trace approach... no mention of Ivermectin... which WHO warns against using for covid.

Its obvious you are spreading fake news about Ivermectin and cant back up your claims.

You want me to contact the site owners for more information, because you will jump on any crap posted on the internet in favour of Ivermectin! A site whose Twitter account was suspended for spreading fake news.

The BIRD group website is using Ivermectin as an anti vax trojan horse:

“If Ivermectin were to be recommended, it would take away the Emergency Use Authorization supporting the vaccines”.

This is what fake news looks like and it is not going to be indulged. Its going to be challenged - as it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

If you want to get your info from quacks, that's up to you. One of these days they might be right about something. They're bound to at some point, right? Maybe this is the one.

To what 'quacks' do you refer?

Please be specific.

For those who are too lazy to look for themselves here is the list of the contents of the home kits provided in India.

Pulse Oximeter

Digital Thermometer

Paracetamol tablets (15)

Vitamin C tablets (30)

Multivitamin tablets with Zinc (30)

Vitamin D3 tablets (2 packs)

Ivermectin 12mg tablets (10)

Doxycycline 100mg tablets (10)

Three-ply face masks (5)

N-95 Masks (2)

Sanitizer (100ml)

Alcohol based Wipes (1 box with 20 plies)

Gloves (2 pairs)

The Goa Health Ministry actually published the contents

If that is not sufficient for you then you are clearly just biased without the capacity to think or read or maybe have some other impediment to absorbing information provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Fairly clear now that it was Paracetamol and 2 pairs of gloves that was the wonder cure that worked there. Thanks for posting the list.

• Advertisement

Strange, the anti vaccine site you get your fake news from were too lazy to list the contents of the kit, or go into detail about what actually happened in Uttar Pradesh. Do they have an impediment to absorb information? Were they too lazy? Or just too biased without the capacity to think? Why bother when you can just make up fake news!

I asked the question, not because I couldn't find it out myself, but because it was a red flag about the site that they made such great play about Ivermectin but couldn't bring themselves to list the actual contents of the kit. Which was a red flag if they were so familiar with what happened with the kit. Which obviously, they were not.

Their claim was Ivermectin must be responsible for the Uttar Pradesh results, because the 'active ingredient' in the kit was Ivermectin... whatever that mean - ignoring all the other things in the kit, ignoring that the kit was distributed, and also ignoring what was done in Uttar Pradesh that was not done elsewhere.

So returning to your false and baseless allegation that the WHO sponsored Ivermectin use there. Which appears to be a lie made up by an anti-vax site... yet you keep repeating it, without substantiation.

But let's dial back. This kit was distributed wides cale in India and Goa isn't even adjacent to UP. Yet it is the Uttar Pradesh results specifically you latched onto.

The WHO sponsored an aggressive door to door contact tracing, test and isolation with visit to 90,000 villages.

This must explain why, if the kit was used elsewhere in India, it is Uttar Pradesh that has such standout results.

So you have just disproved your own fake news.

Fair play.

The Goa Health Ministry actually published the contents

If that is not sufficient for you then you are clearly just biased without the capacity to think or read or maybe have some other impediment to absorbing information provided.

Regarding the link you posted, just to mention ...

• That was Goa, not Uttar Pradesh. Goa is 2,000 km from Uttar Pradesh. Goa has a population of 1.5m, vs 237m for Uttar Pradesh.
    • The article you quoted was dated Oct 2020, Goa had a huge spike in May 2021
    • The Goan health service removed Ivermectin from Covid home kits in June 2021 (see The Times of India )

Just some more info from searching Ivermectin this morning.

• The site ivmmeta.com contains impressive details about Ivermectin. However it shows equally impressive results for over 30 other substances, from Asprin, Melatonin, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, etc.
    • An Oxford University Press review of 265 trials of Ivermectin in March 2021 only found 10 that satisfied the requirements to be included as Randomised Control Trials. Their conclusions from analysing those 10 trials were "In conclusion, compared with SOC or placebo, IVM did not reduce all-cause mortality rate, LOS, respiratory viral clearance, AEs, or SAEs in RCTs of patients with mild to moderate COVID-19."

As I mentioned yesterday I'd be very happy if Ivermectin turned out to be useful in treating Covid. However I remain to be convinced. If you want to show me some reasons why Ivermectin is useful please do so (but just linking to others who 'think' Ivermectin is useful will not be enough)

A strange situation arose in Australia regarding Ivermectin.

It was available to doctors to prescribe off label up to Sept 10th 2021, when doctors were banned from using it except for 'approved' illnesses.

The reasons it was banned were given here

and Dr. John Campbell gave his view on the reasons given in this video which to put it mildly was rather scathing.

The timing of this pronouncement from the TGA struck me as odd.

Why wait so long?

Could it possibly have anything to do with the results of a 'real world' study in two Aus states which found the treatment to be very efficacious? I dunno, just wondering.

Below is a link to the results of that study.

The treatment consisted of

ivermectin 

doxycycline 

zinc

given for 10 days. Some 7% of participants were given additional vitamins and nutritional supplements. Here is a link to the study information

It also in its conclusion states that after gathering further details from the 30 doctors involved a paper will be submitted for peer review.

But the most pertinent conclusion is that the treatment "appears to be very safe, effective and inexpensive".

I realise there is a cohort of posters here who will dismiss this one also, but to be honest I much prefer to rely on actual doctors who treat patients and record their results, presented in this study ..... as well of course all the other doctors around the globe who have reported their results too.

So this is posted in the hope that it is of interest to others.

It's fake news whack a mole when it comes to Ivermectin shills.

After the total discrediting of the stories from Japan and India, now a new front is needed in Australia.

Now, here's the curious thing. Why, if Ivermectin is such a sure thing against Covid, has the doctor here run a study with Ivermectin, an antibiotic and zinc?

Strange right... you see Ivermectin is off patent. But if you include it in a triple therarpy... you can register a patent for the 'triple therarpy'. And in the original study... this doctor didn't declare this financial interest.

But this is what he says in public before he was found out:

“The biggest thing about this is no one will make money from this,” Dr Borody told 2GB’s Chris Smith in August 2020. “So there’s no big pharma behind it. I mean, one ivermectin tablet costs $2. It’s the cheapest, fastest way – with fewest side effects – to end this pandemic.”

Illegal, no? Unethical, yes.

So do I believe anything coming out of a 'study' run by this guy? No.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/oct/18/doctor-who-advocated-covid-19-therapy-including-ivermectin-applied-for-patent-on-same-unproven-treatment

So we have folks who think 'big pharma' are keeping magic cure Ivermectin from them for financial reasons... falling for the lies of a shilling doctor in it for financial gain. These are the doctors you believe?

And not the actual doctors - the medical professionals - tasked around the world with assessing the effectiveness of medicines, independent of financial gain?

So when was the actual study? Where was it carried out? Where was it published? Peer reviewed?

Why, as you allege, if the Australian authorities intervened AFTER the study, does the linked PDF state that the number of patients was capped DURING the study?

So how was this 'study' run?

Because the Australian authorities only banned Ivermectin for general prescription, not for use in clinical trials. So this wasn't actually a clinical trial.

It doesn't add up does it?

Come back to us when you have a real trial with Ivermectin showing it works.

Cos this isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭bustercherry

You do know Dr. John Campbell is not an actual Dr (that treats patients etc… as you put it). He’s a doctor of philosophy 😀

Also he’s got a very big disclaimer on his YouTube channel, where he makes a lot of money peddling his opinions to people like you, that his opinions are his own and nothing is peer reviewed. He deliberately misleads people that he is a MD as IMO it makes more people buy into his nonsense videos……… more subscribers, more money 🙄

The timing of this pronouncement from the TGA struck me as odd.

Why wait so long?

Could it possibly have anything to do with the results of a 'real world' study in two Aus states which found the treatment to be very efficacious? I dunno, just wondering.

"could it possibly" and "I dunno, just wondering" are not likely to add much to the discussion or general information on this topic! What we need is actual hard information, not speculation (there is no shortage of speculation, on all sorts of subjects, that later turns out to be simply wrong).

As has been said, there are some question marks over this Australian Dr. Borody who came up with this treatment, not least the fact that he patented that cocktail that included Ivermectin, but without publicising it, so if it had taken off he may have gained financially from it. He also seems to be behind a company trying to raise US$25m to do trials with his patented triple therapy treatment. Also, the trial information that you linked to is on an anti-vax, and anti-lockdown site, which might call his objectivity into question!

The question still remains, why can't these results be reproduced in a properly conducted trial? Some trials have been conducted in a manner that satisfied the rigorous requirements for these types of trials, but they showed no benefits of taking Ivermectin vs a placebo.

Also, re Dr. John Campbell, I imagine he is competent in his field but he is not a medical doctor (his PHD is in nursing education - see here), so it's a bit misleading for his youtube videos to be captioned as Dr. John Campbell, as most people happening on the videos will likely assume he's a medical doctor. I looked at his video and he's not really saying anything, he's just questioning the reasons for the Australian restrictions on prescribing Ivermectin, and effectively brings nothing to the table as regards more information.

You do know Dr. John Campbell is not an actual Dr (that treats patients etc… as you put it). He’s a doctor of philosophy 

Yes of course. What is your point?

Also he’s got a very big disclaimer on his YouTube channel, where he makes a lot of money peddling his opinions to people like you, that his opinions are his own and nothing is peer reviewed. He deliberately misleads people that he is a MD as IMO it makes more people buy into his nonsense videos……… more subscribers, more money 

That is a blatant lie.

I am sorry I bothered to even read this tripe.

I guess that is the limit of your contribution to this discussion - attack the person!

I should be used to that sort of post by now, but sometimes it irks so badly I respond.

Your response is somewhat emotional. That is not useful when you are dealing with real, life or death, situations. Emotion didn't invent all the things we take for granted in todays world, including advanced medicines. All the modern technological advancements required clear thinking, and distilling hardnosed reproducible facts from the noise that is around every subject. That is what is needed here, with regards to Ivermectin, not some religious conviction that Ivermectin is effective, based on faith alone!!

And what percentage of people that are sent a link to a "Dr. John Campbell" youtube video are likely to assume he's a medical doctor? I would imagine that it would be the majority!! How is that not misleading?

This article has lots of links to further writings, but summarises the Indian experience quite well.

COVID-19 in India: A state declined to use early treatment and the results are appalling

https://trialsitenews.com/covid-19-in-india-a-state-declined-to-use-early-treatment-and-the-results-are-appalling/

• Advertisement

And the article seems to just repeat much of what we have discussed over many pages of this thread - and verify what we have been saying all along. Which is that there is little to no evidence that Ivermectin had any effect in that location and that the main correlations of any actual interest was the implementation - and then relaxation of - techniques of disease identification and isolation. And in fact in the end the recommendations for Ivermectin were dropped.

Something tells me that will not be /thread for the people emotionally invested in the drug however :)

Advertisement