Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spray foam on cables

Options
  • 29-11-2021 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Can any one show me a link to a Reg about spray foam on cables trying to convince a customer that the foam needs going in first ,

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

522.0 should cover it

too long for me to type out. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JL spark

Thanks for that , he has my head wrecked, Plummer telling him I’m talking **** too ,

joys of self employment 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

surely the spay foam increases the protection against most of those.

is the foam corrosive

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭iioklo

Foam in contact with the cable's insulation causes a process called Plasticiser Migration, the foam draw's out the plasticiser from the Cable's insulation which over time causes the insulation to become brittle and crack, this potentially could allow the wires to arc and cause fires.

Also Wires under load heat up, if the wires are surrounded by foam insulation, they could heat up to greater temperature's, and potentially could melt the insulation and again start fires.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Agreed, the current carrying capacity of cables imbedded in insulation need to be derated.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 PilotHole

Sounds like a job/customer you don't need.

I thought that the foam sh1te goes on the underside of the roof?

I've heard is a waste of money too but thats another story.

Advertisement