Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curse of Defective Concrete (Mica, Pyrrhotite, etc.) in Donegal homes - Read Mod warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,587 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah, no accountability for anything in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

A reported cap of €138/sqft...that's what it cost in 2017. This isn't an enhanced scheme.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭jj880

Thats seems very low.

1 of the main things I am interested in is will this still be left up to the home owner to manage.

As I understand it in the pyrite scheme it was all managed by the housing agency. Home owners didnt have to deal with builders and were not left at their mercy for gouging.

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭doc22

I don't have a crystal ball but builders will price up to gov limits

Post edited by muffler on

• Registered Users Posts: 46,081 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Doc22 I removed one of your posts and edited the other. Dont post speculative comments about anyone. You named one individual and a family. Just leave personalities out of it altogether and we'll all get on great..

• Advertisement

Apologies to DrPhilG and jj880. I had to remove your posts as they were quoting posts I had edited/deleted. Unfortunately this new shambles of a site wont allow me to edit only the post that was quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Long interview on Radio 1 there with Paddy Diver.

From what I understood of it, the suggested limit of €420,000 p/u and €138/sq/ft is being treated as an insult and an affront to those affected by the mica damage and that €150 will be required by them.

He suggests a massive protest(s) will be brought to bring Dublin to a halt ahead of Christmas, in the event that those figures are brought forward to actual redress scheme.

Might I suggest that the large number of people that are affected would want to begin to be very wary of those that they have speaking for them and that it will raise more than a few eyebrows around the rest of the Country if those affected do, in fact, reject the equivalent value of 100% rebuilding of a 3,000 sq ft detached home as some sort of insult.

Such a strategy, if overtaken and pursued by those like Paddy Diver, create the very real risk of them being left with nothing. And, that the threatening tone of many involved in this towards politicians and public bodies, will destroy the whole effort.

Ordinary householders need to understand what a win looks like here and also understand what taking the piss looks like to the rest of the Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭jj880

Right now material costs are sky high and people are rightly scared that even if they get into the redress scheme they will be left with a massive bill from a gouging builder. Nevermind what the costs will be when houses actually start getting rebuilt.

There has to be some kind of controls put on this. Families cant be expected to fight with builders because the government has come up with a sq foot cost.

If 138 euro per sq foot will do it then let the housing agency stand behind it and oversee all works themselves like they did for the pyrite scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

So just one example. A hard working person bought a second home as a nest egg for when they retire. They have been paying mortgage payments since by renting out to a young family trying to get on the property Ladder.

Now the young couple will have to look for another house to rent in Donegal which is mica free which will be near impossible and the person who bought the house for retirement will still have to pay a mortgage on a heap of collapsed rubble.

Now tell me who's taking the piss.

How do you work out that €138/sqft will get you a 3,000sqft house? Have you included the demolition/disposal costs? Storage? Rent over the time out of the house?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I would have little pity for anyone who bought a second home on a mortgage, second home in my opinion is something you buy with your own money, I know that might not be everyone's view.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Sorry @muffler you might want to edit my post from his quote too then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

I live in an estate riddled with pyrite. Our house hasn't enough signs of pyrite to be remediated but we can't get a pyrite free cert so we can't sell.

I feel sorry for anyone caught up in the Mica blocks scandal. They shouldn't have to suffer due to mistakes that weren't of their making.

I'm curious and not trolling when I ask, when these people took out house insurance, how much of a rebuild value did they put on their policy? If the Govt are putting a cap on the amount that they will cover then surely the insurance companies should have to pay towards it too? Is that too simplistic?

Insurance companies have a 'get out' in the policies - structural issues caused by defective materials are not covered. The problem is, people don't know that the blocks are defective until it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Insurance companies and homebond have a lot to answer for..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

These people deserve some sort of help from the state but nowhere near the degree of funding that's being offered. They should either be offered housing in modestly sized dwellings in state built housing estates or a loan scheme payable to remedy defects repayable long term and cleared on the death of the owner.

The government is giving far too much here, they need to substantially reduce the cost to the taxpayer. If this results in a general election, then so be it. It'll be a landslide win when the facts are put before the voting public at large. Any political party that would try to back up these ridiculous claims would suffer badly in the rest of the country.

Unreal Paddy. %100 correct about the obnoxious reporter at the start. Thank God for someone who speaks from the heart and not from there a##.

Yeah. Just forget about the house you worked your boll#$ off to build or buy and in alot of cases working away from home missing out on alot of family occasions and move into an estate in God knows where or pay another mortgage on top of your existing mortgage to repair something that is100% not your fault.

Really brilliant proposals. I would say alot would jump at this.

I don't see why rental properties are attempted to be covered in the new scheme. The mica building should be sold to the state at the site or building market value and redeveloped into the states/council stock, the state shouldn't be suring up someone else's investment property

• Advertisement

doc22, you didnt heed the warning in the OP about the use of the phrase "blank cheques" so you are now thread banned. Do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dollylama

Have any further details emerged on the suggested levy being imposed on material suppliers? I saw a brief mention of it in one of the weekend papers.

A levy on building materials would be a sensible and fair way to recoup some of the inevitable cost to the tax payer for the redress scheme but it too could be a hard sell, particularly in the city regions where building is still booming for now. Plus, wouldn't a levy make the redress rebuilds even more expensive?

Why? If I bust my balls working so I can build a €500k house on a nice piece of land, and then the whole thing falls apart because the council and the government failed to enforce regulation on materials, why should I suffer loss?

Likewise if I work my ass off to buy an investment property. If the government are responsible for this mess, why should I be left out just because I worked hard enough to buy an investment property?

To an extent I agree with some of this.

Fight the government all day long. But making the ordinary people of Dublin suffer is a terrible idea and will only massively sway public opinion more against the cause than towards it.

Fight the disinformation out there, help people to realise why 100% is fair, and let them come on board with support and then they'll lobby their own politicians to help.

Attack the ordinary people of Dublin every few months, make them miss medical appointments, flights, job interviews etc and they'll all hate the protesters and their cause even more.

Its a stupid idea from top to bottom. Diver has heart, no doubt. This movement wouldn't be where it is without him. But he is not a good public representative. He is too emotional and dramatic. The fella Michael Doherty, PRO of MAG is a much more considered and informative speaker.

How's your geography? The worst affected area,Inishowen is larger in area and population than Louth, most of these houses are on family land with outbuildings/farmbuildings,

It's rumoured that the block company have employed the services of Irelands most infamous spin doctor and these type of posts smell of her

If they tailor the protest to the city centre ,Google and Facebook HQ and Dublin 4 it'll mitigate the effect on ordinary Dubliners

But they seem to have no intention of doing that. All I keep hearing is blocking the motorway, blocking the airport, bringing the city to a halt etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,515 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If they start doing this whatever support they have will be lost especially when they seem to be telling the government to stick the more than generous offer of €420k per house up their hole. Mentions of 4000 square foot homes don't go down well to the ordinary Dublin resident either, it's basically a fook off palace fit for a family of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ahusband

You do realise that Louth is the smallest county?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think appraising the information discussed in various media throughout the day, it seems that the proposed scheme amounts to 92% redress.

Eminently fair at that, I would say.

Advertisement