Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,667 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Some posters are reversing quicker than Homer Simpson on this.

Paddy was the story when his tweets were hurting Leo, but they disown him twice as fast when he is exposed as a bully.

The tweets and gifs playbook approach will have taken a hammering as the Paddy-related ones will have been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Paddy's not the story here blanch, threads about Leo Varadkars run in with the law.

The look over there >>>>> at Paddy Cosgrave schtick ain't gonna work.

No sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CarProblem

I don't like Varadkar or Cosgrave, both are egotistical buffoons

But a question - what has the (possibly warranted) negativity over Cosgrave got to do with this? The guards are investigating regardless of what anyone thinks of Cosgrave. The document was leaked, all that remains to be established is if any laws were broken (despite my utter dislike of Varadkar I've no idea if a law was broken - I'm in no way qualified to opine). However I'm struggling to see the relevance of Cosgrave and all the sh!te being thrown at him tbh. I saw a post earlier (I think) saying it undermines his credibility - again how relevant? Is the Garda investigation hinging on anything Cosgrave said (this is a genuine question btw)

He has been interviewed as part of the investigation.

It has been reported that the statements that he and Bowes made to the Gardai have been changed a number of times. As these form the basis of the complaint against Varadkar, his credibility is an issue.

The fact of the sharing of the document is not an issue. It is the surrounding accusations of corruption and bias and cronyism which are the subject of the investigation, and these are the accusations contained in the changing Garda statements.

It's what I've been asking all along, CP.

The "Shoot the messenger" mantra is alive and well here, Paddy Cosgraves private business affairs have the square root of absolutely shag all to do with Leo's predicament here and what way his Criminal investigation will ultimately conclude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CarProblem

Ok - yet again, how are his business dealings relevant? How are they relevant to his "credibility". If he changes statements that may undermine his credibility as a witness in this particular investigation but I'm not sure how his business dealings undermine his credibility with respect to the Varadkar case

If its a case of "well it must mean one of the witnesses is shady - hence call off the investigation" then, if you weren't a green of course (LO fucking L), you'd surely be also calling for Varadkar to step down as FG party leader as he's also the subject of shady allegations? If I was still a member of the party I know I would be

Post edited by CarProblem on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Well according to high court affidavits Paddy has two people on the books looking to smear political opponents. This would make sense since the story itself has been in The Village and the drip-feed of the investigation itself is being drawn out, allegedly because Paddy or one of the others keep changing their story.

In other words, the ongoings of Paddy Cosgrave is tied in with the Leo story...

However, its kinda clear now that Paddy has bitten off more than he can chew.

I wasn't aware of that. If true, Paddy having two people whose job is to smear political opponents is a sinister aspect of this. If it turns out that the Gardai and the DPP decide that Leo has no case to answer, given this latest bit of information, then the question will arise whether this was all down to a smear campaign run by Paddy. If so, those that were taken in by it will have to reflect on their own part.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

I'd say Cosgrove "smearing" anyone won't feature highly in the AGS investigation guys if the DPP ultimately decide he's a case to answer, I don't think who blew the whistle on him will factor much in any impending trial, it will be a straight choice if whether or not he broke any laws sharing the information with his friend. A

Apart from that, my understanding of the term "smear campaign" is to deliberately, intentionally and knowingly discredit someone with untrue allegations, (Maurice McCabe and Callinan springs to mind) and bearing in mind that Leo held his hands up and also apologised for what he's being investigated for sinks any notion of a "smear campaign" too.

Some serious scraping of the bottom of the barrell here to try and deflect from the core issues here lads. It's unashamedly desperate to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah but we aren't just talking about Cosgrave and Varadkar anymore. Its Cosgrave and his machiavellian tendencies towards everybody and anybody now and whether or not company resources were used. Thats not to mention the substantive allegations of the plaintiffs to the suits in the first place.

The core issue is, the Varadkar investigation is gone down a dead end and also that Paddy Cosgrave has imploded. Not deflection, just events dear boy, events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The fact of the sharing of the document is not an issue. It is the surrounding accusations of corruption and bias and cronyism which are the subject of the investigation, and these are the accusations contained in the changing Garda statements.

Of course the fact that he leaked the document is an issue. It's a massive issue, It shows that he cannot be trusted with confidential documents, particularly ones that are still under negotiation. Who wants a head of government to be somebody that cannot be trusted with confidential information? (A head of anything!)

Or are we supposed to try and believe that Leo was the only Taoiseach ever in the history of Ireland to realise that he could 'speed up' negotiations by sharing the documents under negotiation with the side that weren't privy to them, all the while it was perfectly acceptable thing to do, and legal.

I'd find it equally hard to understand how anybody could attempt to defend him doing so on any level.

However, it is more likely that the investigation is into not just his leaking, but to find out whether or not he benefited personally from leaking the document. As that is far more serious than just leaking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

If Leo is cleared following the Garda investigation, then the allegations of criminal conduct made by Cosgrave, the Village Magazine and others were untrue. That could clearly have been part of a smear campaign, one that I am sure many will be proud to have been taken in by.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

I was not targeting your comments Ha Long, was just responding on the paddy conversation thread :-)

Except that Leo wasn't the only Taoiseach ever in the history of Ireland to realise that he could "speed up" negotiations by sharing the documents under negotiation with some who weren't privy to them, it has happened many times in other discussions with the GRA and the military representative bodies who are not part of ICTU being given access to draft documents and negotiating documents for pay agreements involving a lot more money. These examples have been alluded to in the past on this thread. There are other examples, the GFA agreement negotiations being one.

Your last paragraph hits the nail on the head. I see and have seen, from the start, absolutely no issue with the sharing of the documents as it has happened many times before. However, if Leo did benefit personally and was in receipt of corrupt payments for the sharing of the documents, then that is a much different issue. If that is what is in the Garda statements from Cosgrave and co, and it turns out to be false, what other than a smear campaign, was it? That remains speculation at this time, but well worth watching.

Eh, no. It was reported on what he did and its up to the authorities to see if it was criminal. If anyone claimed he was criminal and it turns out he wasn't, so what? You can't be charged with asking the Garda to investigate if you believed a crime was committed. Grasping at straws here. No vindication for Varadkar either way. He leaked.

The fact of the sharing of the document is not an issue. It is the surrounding accusations of corruption and bias and cronyism 

The key issue is was the leaking criminal. Thats literally the investigation.

We know he lies, we know he engages in cronyism.

I can guarantee you Vatadkar does not want a public review of his behaviour.

You cannot speed up negotiations between two parties by leaking confidential documents to a third party not invited to the negotiations.

Why do you think I put speed up in quotation marks? I wasn't using the phrase myself, I was quoting from your completely misleading use of the phrase, which you then admit to in the next post. Well done on acknowledging your misuse of the phrase.

The sharing of the document helped the government's objective of achieving consensus across the medical profession on the document, in the same way that previous sharing of draft pay agreements helped the objective of achieving consensus across the public service and the sharing of GFA negotiating documents helped achieve buy-in to the GFA. All very similar situations.

All that's left is Paddy and Bowe's allegations of corruption in the process, and let us see where they end up.

Well nor quite, as I have already explained to you a "smear campaign" is deliberately and knowingly trying to discredit someone with allegations they know to be untrue.

If the NCBI ultimately decide the investigation should be dropped, and no charges come from it, it doesn't take away what from Leo Varadkar has admitted to doing, we know he knows what he did was wrong, he and OTuathail both deny knowingly breaking any laws, which will matter not a jot - they can't have known it wasn't lawful either, and they certainly knew it wasn't right and proper (remember the gloating in the WhatsApp group from OTuathail who knew he shouldn't have had the documents in his possession?)

I doubt very much Varadkar will have any "gusto" in seeking legal recourse from the allegations made against him, considering he admitted the act, knowing it wasn't the correct way to obtain them.

Come on blanch, surely you must have gotten to the point now where you know you're desperately trying to flog a dead donkey.

• Advertisement

Where has Varadkar admitted to breaking a law? Surely, you are not hanging on to that discredited argument?

I'm almost 100% certain I read a press release by Varadkar that stated he would not be pursuing any legal action to being labelled a "law breaker" following legal advice.

Which reads to me like someone has advised him he'd be better to just wind his neck in and STFU.

This RTE story clarifies some of the clear links to this thread.

"Mr Hickey also alleged Mr Cosgrave had employed staff at the company’s expense to procure information to advance a vendetta against Tánaiste and former Taoiseach Leo Varadkar."

"Mr Hickey also alleged Mr Cosgrave had improperly used company money to settle a High Court action brought against him by GP Dr Maitiú Ó Tuathail."

Blanch, I know this is an uncomfortable time, but there's no need to blatantly lie about what I posted, considering you quoted me word for word.

I never said "Varadkar admitted to breaking a law"

Here's what I said.

he and OTuathail both deny knowingly breaking any laws, which will matter not a jot - they can't have known it wasn't lawful either, and they certainly knew it wasn't right and proper

The exact polar opposite. Are you that desperate for a "point" that you have to lie?

I'm actually embarrassed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Except that Leo wasn't the only Taoiseach ever in the history of Ireland to realise that he could "speed up" negotiations by sharing the documents under negotiation with some who weren't privy to them.

Which other Taoiseachs have leaked confidential documents under negotiation to those not privy?

You are not making any sense.

You deny its your statement then defend it.

It was a private negotiation between one union and the department of health. It did not involve anyone but members of that union and the department of health.

What varadkar did was a favour for his friend, the then head of a rival union, not involved in those negotiations.

It was a breach of trust and a crony move.

Discredited? Surely that's for the criminal investigation to conclude?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If I quote someone, then that is their statement, not mine.

You criticised a phrase I had in quotation marks, which was a quote from your post. You were, in fact, criticising yourself.

Given the jumbled thinking on display throughout this thread, that made for one of the most amusing aspects.

• Advertisement

You've succeeded in dodging the content twice. Bravo.

It was a private negotiation between one union and the department of health. It did not involve anyone but members of that union and the department of health.

What varadkar did was a favour for his friend, the then head of a rival union, not involved in those negotiations.

It was a breach of trust and a crony move.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement