Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Which I believe are the only 4 markers. Nothing or very little else is marked on the map. You have to find everything else by your own intuition. And while the divine beast quests have markers each of them is an ordeal in and of itself to reach, my mount doom experience being one of them. So while there are 4 markers, they don't act like map markers in other games where you saunter up and activate a quest.

You're being a little bit pedantic getting annoyed when people say there's no map markers when you know what they mean and engaging in your own hyperbole saying it's hyperbole to the point of falsehoods.

There are more than four markers. I checked. I'm honestly tired of discussing this game for the above reason I mentioned. An honest discussion is just impossible with this game.

No more BOTW talk for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Map Markers are something I vacillate over depending on what day of the week it is. But on average I'd probably reckon it's better to have less in open world games, without eschewing them altogether. BOTW had a nice balance I guess, where the Beasts (and brilliantly designed landscape) ensured you always had a rough guide to locations, albeit without excessive hand holding. But no, the game had no markers in the style of Skyrim, where you didn't even have to look up half the time. I lost count how many quests became crude "follow the dot" exercises.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

As mentioned for Outer Wilds, I can't even imagine how tricky different v that game would be if it had map markers on where to go but i guess most AAA games have to spell everything out to reach the biggest audience.

I believe The Sinking City took a similar approach, but i never played it to confirm, where you investigate a crime scene, find clues and open your map to see where it sounds like they are pointing to before heading off in that direction. Not sure how well that plays out but sounds so much more interesting than just waiting for a dot appears and following that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The difference is simple for me.

In many open-world games, you reach a high point and the map automatically fills with a bunch of icons that tell you where to go. You'll get a little dotted line telling you the way if you need it.

In BotW, you reach a high point and you need to pull out your telescope and scan the area for points of interest that you must then go find your way to.

It's a fundamentally different approach to the same idea (scaling a high structure to get a vantage point of an area) that I think speaks to the bigger philosophical differences between the different ways of game design.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And you are probably right. Been a long time since I played it. Pretty sure it's mostly just marking stuff you've found already or shrines and korok seeds you've already completed. I just don't get what the point you are making is. Are you trying to infer that the game actually does play like every other open world game because it has a handful of map markers when it quite clearly doesn't? I mean I could correct myself and say there's no map markers except for stuff you've already found and the four main quests but why bother when the point I'm making is to highlight why the game is different by the fact that it doesn't highlight every point of interest.

You're right. It's the only open world game to ever do this. All hail Nintendo.

Conversation over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Weird to cry fundamentalism over BOTW. Kinda sabotages discussion with needless flouncing. I'd not call many here Nintendo fanboys TBH so it's a bit OTT.

It's a great game but has flaws. The exploration model isn't one of them, and couldn't be excused of excessive hand holding - which TBH I think is what we're dancing around here as the main point. Skyrim you can play just looking at the map - BOTW you have to climb and explore, as Johnny explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I did really enjoy how it freshened up the open world formula, my issues with the game are completely unrelated to this. I do think it's going to be an extremely influential game, but it may take a while.

It's tiresome dealing with just one. Anyway, it doesn't matter, I've already offered my views on the game.

• Advertisement

No it's not but every game builds on what came before. BotW reminds me in a way of Dark Souls. The industry was heading in a way where the player had no player agency and wasn't allowed to really think for themselves and both games kind of say 'what would it be like if we give the player some of that agency back' and shake things up. BotW isn't perfect but I really feel it's the kick in ass the open world genre needs. I'm actually surprised that it came from Nintendo. They were the worst for their handholding design which led to ultimately to Skyward Sword which is the absolute nadir of this design philosophy.

This is coming from someone that thinks the game is merely very good, but you are misrepresenting map markers in the context of this discussion. Map markers here are being discussed as icons on the map/mini map to blatantly sign post any point of interest, quest, NPC etc. BotW does not do this, it gives you a handful of points and then leaves you to your own devices for the next 50+ hrs.

It is not the first game to do this, probably not even the best, but it did it at a time when AAA openworld games were becoming so formulaic and boring. It was a notable and pleasant departure.

Fair enough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I'm another one that started BoTW but didn't finish it with the reason being I just could not deal with weapons breaking. It completely ruined my sense of exploration and discovery by constantly having to enter menus to select new weapons It just isn't fun. I also found the cooking mechanic tedious. It's very frustrating because I think I would absolutely love the game if it wasn't for weapon degradation.

It's similar to how I feel about Outer Wilds, the sense of exploration and discovery is amazing in that game but it's ruined by the infuriating 22 minute loop. Just let me explore without sending me back to the start!

They are just two examples of games that contain one particular mechanic that completely ruins the game for me.

They’ll have to rejig cooking for the sequel. It just wasn’t a well designed mechanic.

I expect BotW 2 will still have weapons that break easily.

I have decided that I am not playing it if it keeps that mechanic. It was infuriating, it felt like a survival mechanic bolted onto a game that it had no business in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You can scan points of interest in BOTW? I used to just climb the tower to paraglide off the top 🤔

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That's not how it works in BotW though. You don't climb a tower and then painstakingly paint the map with icons with your scope. You might simply spy something in the distance beside a particular hill and go 'oh I should visit that later'. It doesn't pop an icon on your map.

The tower is just one example, chosen as it's a clear point of difference in game design philosophy. The whole game - including the art design, which weaves 'points of interest' into the landscape in subtle and obvious ways - is indeed designed around encouraging you to organically explore and uncover the world. It is a fundamentally different game to any Ubisoft open-world effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I prefer when there is markers telling you where to go. Mass Effect is annoying. I spent ages running around the Citildel trying to find a specific person.

On the Bethesda point. I was playing Fallout 4 recently, a game I haven't played much.

I was in a town and I saw a large radar dish on a hill on the horizon. No quest marker pointing at it, but it was definitely there for a reason I thought. Maybe some loot?

So I traveled up towards it. On the way I noticed a junkyard to the side, which was a bit of a detour, but I decided to give it a go since looting junk is important. There, I found a decommissioned combat robot. I explored the building and hacked a terminal which gave me remote access to the robot.

I was then able to instruct the robot to defend the radar installation, which was handy because it turned out to be heavily guarded. Inside the radar installation I found high value loot.

All of this happened because I spotted something interesting in the distance, and I checked it out. No quest markers led me there. It was purely organic.

I've had multiple similar experiences in other Bethesda titles, where I tend to just roam around and find interesting things instead of doing quests, as I think that's where their games excel. You see something interesting in the distance, you check it out and you usually find something really interesting. There's literally hundreds of examples of this in their games, with many locations not even marked on the map.

I can see this game design in all of their maps. If quest markers are a distraction from this, you can actually turn them off in the options. But exploration is the keystone of every game of theirs I've played. For all their many faults as a developer, they certainly know how to design maps.

I don't really play Ubisoft games, so I can't comment on those.

• Advertisement

You can place your own markers down on the map as well but really it's marking places that look interesting and heading there and finding lots of interesting things on the way. It definitely differs a whole lot from a Ubisoft game where you climb a tower and all the icons for subquests are revealed. The towers in BotW reveal the topography of the region and serve as a vantage point to scope out the land but nothing more. Its up to you to find the places of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

BOTW feels like an adventure where you wake up and figure things out and go forth and discover. Bit like the first Arctic expedition or Congo exploration.

AC Odyssey feels like a package holiday, with Ryanair, tour guide, organised disco and drinks every night.

😀😀😀

You seem determined to dismiss the observations we're making about the game. Fair enough. I hope if you ever one day actually get around to playing it you'll find it as exciting, compelling and surprising a game as I and many others did :)

It's the same difference between a boring dungeon crawler with an auto map and Etrian Odyssey where making your own map elevates it to god tier RPG. You can dismiss it all you like but I'd rather you didn't until you tried it.

As for stealing elements from Ubisoft games, well HZD is a by the books Ubisoft game and while BotW takes its own approach and expands on things there's still a lot of elements that you can trace back to Ubi games. But then again that's what artistic media is built off of and then ubisoft went and ripped BotW off by making immortals. Maybe someone needs to remind Mr. Ancel that Beyond Good and Evil was very much a take on the Ocarina of Time formula.

There is a big difference between the citadel and the openworld issues being talked about. That area is badly laid-out series of corridors with very little guidance and almost no indicators of where your objective is. I think the Legendary Edition was the 3rd or 4th time I played through it and I still had to google where to go to complete every sidequest. Thankfully they fixed it in the sequels (mostly)

🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

BOTW is probably one of those games that all fans of the medium should be picking up ( I picked up a wiiU for it specifically then played it again on my switch) now I am far from a Nintendo zealot but it really is deserving of the praise it gets. I agree degradation is the most annoying part of the game but outside of that for exploring it is a step beyond a lot of open world games and since replaying it I have started and quit 3 ubi titltes ( odyssey, Fenix and most recently FC6)

These get tiresome ridiculous quickly for the fatigue a massive map brings on, nothing is rewarding ( farcry 6 suffers greatly from this) and the narrative is not engaging enough to push me on to play it. I think where ubisoft really excel is in the artificial dopamine hit achievements are getting but beyond MS giving me cash rewards from this I wouldnt even be wasting my time on these.

Advertisement