Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Santy get a boyfriend...

Comments

To a certain demographic. Ok let's leave it then.

Pick the bones out of a post while avoiding a question.

Kubrick predicted it right all animals are equal some more equal than others.

2021 has shown that obviously questioning traditions is socially unacceptable if it doesnt fit in with a certain demographic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What does that even mean though. Every portrayal of gay men could be offensive to a certain deomgraphic. If we took that to its logical conclusion gay male sex and gay marriage would have offended a certain demographic so the norms should not have been challenged and they should never have been decriminalised/legalised.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

But the ad has only managed to offend some idiots. The outlets running outrage segments on it are Russia Today and GB News. I'm not aware of any such outrage in Norway who are the target market. What's wrong with the image of Santa kissing a man? Eg Mrs Claus only came about in the sixties and it tended to vary in terms of if she had any prominence in the mythos. Eg I was raised in the nineties and I'm not sure if I was particularly aware of his marital status.

The modern day form of Santa was standardized by Coca Cola. They weren't the first to choose the suit colour but they popularised it. Even his physicality was standardized by them. So guess what, marketing is what set Santa's appearance in your head. His depiction and mythos has constantly changed and evolved. And I don't really see what huge impact him kissing a guy has on it.

Mad that an agenda of inclusion and tolerance in a pretty tasteful ad is being viewed as controversial...

Other parents - equally as good - avoid lying to their kids about many of those same things in order to guide them through then unpleasantness of the world and expose them to it in a controlled fashion. To steal a phrase I read on boards a long time ago - there is a different between maintaining childhood innocence and maintaining childhood ignorance. Children are incredibly robust and they often do not need to be protected from some of the things we protect them from.

So I would not see that approach as a "Vanity Project" to simply say - "I am open to lying to my kids when it makes sense to do so but only if I can justify doing that to myself for good reason at the time".

That is the approach I opted for. That does not mean I am any more or less a "good parent" that parents making the opposite choice. But it does not mean I am any more or less "vain" either.

Parenting is one of those things with many paths to the same destinations. I simply saw no gain or benefit from doing the Santa thing - let alone to justify an extended campaign of undermining my wish to not lie to them - so I simply did not do it. And there is literally nothing wrong with those that do or those of us who do not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Im fine with my kids being " ignorant " to the truth of the fat man in the red suit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I find this argument fascinatingly lacking in self awareness. Hasn't Santa ways been sexualied? Hasn't he been in a heterosexual relationship and married to Mrs Claus?

The same argument was made with Spiderman's son being gay. People said Spiderman shouldn't be sexualised even though the story revolved around a key theme of his heterosexual relationship with Louis Lane.

What people mean when they say "X character shouldn't be sexualised" or "children shouldn't be exposed to sexualising characters" , is that they shouldn't be gay. They should only be sexualised as heterosexual. So why don't they just say that?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

They don’t say it because homophobes, misogynists, racists, transphobes and every other bigot out there hates to be called as such or admit that’s what they are.

There’s an awful lot of “nuance” out there and they use that as a comfort blanket to hide behind should anyone call them out on their bigotry.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Asked many times but then you get

You're **** up childrens lives

You're ruining tradition

😶

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

You see I dont make the connection on homophobia or bigotry on this advert.

I couldnt give two shites if two men are kissing on TV more power to them and well done.

The issue I have is why norms or traditions altered for other agendas.

I for one welcome a more rounded society but I also respect boundaries beliefs of everyone which this Ad in my view doesn't.

And the fact I said it here and words like bigot etc were used.

It says a lot is all.

Anyway I'll move along now

You've no problem with in principle, just in practice.

Santa's made up. He's imaginary and can be reimagined any way anyone wants.

Exactly. Even the practice doesnt bother me.

Is Santa made up! Who dropped the skateboard to me last year!!

Anyway my point is everyone is equal and has equal rights. But if something is plodding along in it's own sense of being why change it.

This advert is clever as it gained the attention it was to gain by doing just this.

Nobody has changed Santa. Nobody has said he has to be gay or that you have to consider all imaginings of Santa to be gay.

What you're essentially objecting to is that someone else imagined an imaginary character differently to how you imagine them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I find it amazing how so many in this thread just dont unbderstand the significance of Santa for childhood in Ireland or a lot of other countries for that matter.

Leave Santa to being the guy who comes once a year down the chimney or through the keyhole and leaves presents. Have a gay Elf all you want as their backstory is not clear yet, but Santa is married to a woman (an important, supportive, lovely, well liked woman at that) and has been for many years now.

That's very true I suppose.

But why couldnt it be just two men kissing at Christmas time then on an advert?

As I have no pre conceptions of this an neither does many people I would expect.

Having kids myself and keeping the illusion alive I dont want to have to explain this advert to a child not that's it's wrong just where do you begin.

The world is complicated enough without this kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I don't think Spiderman and Lois Lane were ever really a couple. Probably didn't even have sex. I'm open to correction on that. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Láidir agus Dílis

Out of curiosity why do you put quotation marks all throughout your posts when unnecessary? It's tough reading.

When did Santa get married?

Seriously, given that he is entirely fictional, someone somewhere decided to give him a fictional wife. Which appears to be ok by posters.

Now, someone else, somewhere else, decided to give him a fictional boyfriend!

So fictional wife, heterosexual relationship, fine.

Fictional boyfriend, homosexual relationship, bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

You are stalking me arent you.

You are making the mistake you usually make of not being able to see things through other peoples eyes. Its called empathy. You dont seem to have it.

That would be childrens eyes in this case.

How would you explain Santa kissing Mrs Claus to your children? Doesn't seem that complicated. Santa is magic, visits every house in the whole in 24 hours, can zip down chimneys and has acquired copyright to manufacture every piece of entertainment from iPhone to barbie. Use your imagination.

• Advertisement

The world badly needs 'Straight' month for sexual equality in the world. 95% of the population are straight but have no month to celebrate their identity. Like Pride month in June, straight people should have a month to party.

I dont need to explain a heterosexual couple to my children as it's the norm they know.

They grew up with it.

They also grew up with santa clause so this is also the norm they applied here.

We as a family support inclusion to a huge level I'm not going into on here.

The point here is imaginary or not why are we now putting a spin on something that should not be sexualised in any way or form.

Why are we putting it in the arena or something it's not

And why cant people state this fact without being labelled a bigot.

That's my point not the fact two men are kissing on TV which I have said I dont mind several times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

False. There are no designated events specifically celebrating my sexuality. No organised parades. No TV programmes. No flag waiving or mardi gras. No local libraries holding talks etc.

Two men are fine kissing on TV, as long as one of them isn't Santa?

But Santa is ok kissing someone as long as he's kissing a woman, cause that's what your kids see as normal?

Is that right?

Ok. So you say Santa is heterosexual but you also say it "should not be sexualised in any way or form". So do you equally object to Santa being heterosexual as you do with it being gay?

If not can you explain how Santa being heterosexual and having a wife is in keeping with your belief that Santa "should not be sexualised in any way or form"?

Fine, but wasn't Superman "sexualised" as heterosexual? And that doesn't seem to be a problem to the same posters who object to a character being "sexualised" as gay. They only see it as being sexualised when they're gay. Same with Santa. He's been sexualised as heterosexual in the past and they only object to him being sexualised when he's reimagined as gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭The Silver Branch

Because the idea is you can make every figure, fictional or otherwise gay. And that's simply not true and right, around 3-5% of the population are gay. And we love them. But heterosexuality has to be valued too, or bye bye human race. The gay agenda has gone beyond equality to bullying.

This is going around in circles good luck to you.

This is so far removed from my original point.

It degrades here as always into claims of bigotry when anything like this is mentioned.

You said it your self santa isnt real which can be said for equal rights on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

What kind of talks? You mean back in the bad old days when people were shunned, attacked or even in some extreme cases killed for being straight?

I guess you would need a party after that kind of collective trauma.

We could do with a few talks on parenting, relationships etc. And, the need not to pressurise pre teens and early teens into making decisions about their sexuality too quickly based on biased media.

Christians were fed to the lions in ancient Rome. Christian month May. Straight month July. Irish month March, extend SnaG, as the Irish definitely were shunned and killed. As many Muslims as gay people now, Muslim month, they've been persecuted. Protestant month, 100 years since many were forced to flee southern Ireland.

But your right, only one group deserves a special month.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Were you not looking for 'sexual equality' in your earlier post?

Think you moved the goalposts a bit too far with your post above, I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make anymore.

Why is there a connotation that a heterosexual married santa isnt sexual but a gay santa is? Why is a little gay kiss sexualised but a straight kiss wouldnt.

The fact you are hyping this up as "sexualised" suggests you do mind

Terry Pratchet

Are you mixing up imaginary characters with real humans?

Ok which 3-5% of imaginary character should be made gay and how should they be chosen? If Santa was chosen by lottery to be gay (or trans or black or whatever based on the percentage breakdown you're proposing), what difference would it make?

Also. Heterosexuality is valued. Nobody is objecting to imagining Santa a heterosexual. The only objections are to Santa being imagined as anything other then heterosexual and still there's a suggestion that heterosexuality (or even the entire human race) is under threat.

Ah come on now.

We constantly get bombarded with imagery of heterosexual couples everywhere.

Heterosexual weddings are celebrated and shown off widely - in towns, in newspapers, on tv, in movies, photos, online.

Your thesis that Heterosexuality is never celebrated is pure nonsense and drivel.

Terry Pratchet

It's a pity you're ducking out now because if you answered the questions I asked in the post you quoted, then we could both get out-of the circle and resolve the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Did anyone even consult Santa on his sexuality ?? No - when they imagined him all those years ago, back when homosexuality WAS A CRIME (thank fook those days are behind us), he was saddled with a wife (beard) and left to get on with it, because that was the default setting for everyone. Why do they not have any children...? He couldn't get it up for Mrs Claus but now he's happy and gay and proud. Yay for love!!!

I hope Mrs Claus went on to find true love … or at the very least got herself a toy-elf to keep her up all night 😉

And by the way Santa is not just for kids he's for everyone - young and old. You may stop believing that he's real but you carry the magic on for the next generation. In whatever way, shape, form or persuasion you damn well please!

Nothing wrong with it either way. You shouldn't be getting so worked up about it.

• Advertisement

Or not at all if you damn well please too hehehe

But I wonder did anyone consult Mrs. Claus on any of it either actually? A few posts earlier in the thread accusing Santa of infidelity and wondering how Mrs. Claus will take the whole thing.

How presumptuous :) Perhaps they have an open relationship? Fidelity is not an attribute of everyones relationship - and there is nothing wrong with that. Seeing other people is not uncommon. "Hall passes" while you are "away on business" but not when you are at home is also not uncommon. And let's face it Santa was probably "away on business" in that advert.

Also why do people jump directly to homosexuality when they see Santa kissing this guy? How few people on the thread (any?) suggested bisexuality here?

Hehehe I can still play this recreational outrage game even if I am desensitized to it :)

I'm just taking the píss at you mixing up Spiderman and Superman.

I think it was Superman's son that was bisexual, and people went crazy.

Then they went and made Spiderman mixed race, and people went crazy.

Did they go crazy when they made him mixed race? I missed that one myself but I can well imagine they did. But I suspect they did not go as crazy when they made him another species like they did with Spider-Ham? :)

There was a great Spiderman movie recently enough called Into the Spiderverse which brought together a lot of the Spider-incarnations. Including the Spider ham and the female versions - one of which differs wildly in her powers from the other spider incarnations in that she is a child and channels most of her powers through an enormous robot.

Spider Ham was by far my favourite in it.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

So are homosexual weddings etc. But heterosexuals don't get a month of celebration. If they did there'd be uproar that in celebrating their 'culture' they were homophobic. A work colleague of mine got a warning from our employers, and much castigation, for refusing to hold rainbow flag in a photo shoot. She just doesn't like holding any flag or have labels attached to her. As she said, she supports tolerance for all, but won't be forced to carry anyone's flag.

I don't agree with making your colleague do anything they don't want to do.

But doesn't this thread demonstrate a bias that's worth acknowledging? How many posters have said Santa shouldn't be sexualised but don't consider Santa being heterosexual and married to a woman, being sexualised? If you don't notice Santa being sexualised when he's heterosexual but think he's suddenly sexualised when he's gay, then you're probably missing all the obvious positive representations of heterosexuality all around you and only notice when there's a similar representation of gays. This Santa example couldn't be more apt.

I have plenty of empathy! What I don't see is how giving a fictional man a fictional wife or a fictional boyfriend is in anyway different.

unless you think that children shouldn't know about gays?

• Advertisement

Then implication is always that children shouldn't know about gays or at least thst parents shouldn't talk about gays to children.

Gays = sexualisation

Heterosexual = normal.

The thread is littered with this attitude.

Thank you for "suggesting" that I mind the difference of a hetero and a gay santa.

It's great to be labelled suggestively. If I were to do the same I'd imagine it wouldn't bode well

Again a million miles away from my post. My post wasn't about sexuality originally it was a question on why we are changing norms.

Its suggested that if there was an agenda to be pushed some originality would be commonsense.

Instead on hear it goes back to being bigot if this is even suggested.

And like originality of the whole sexuality rights is peddled out and people are suggestively labelled as bigots.

If kids grow up in a hetro environment thats their norm and I'm glad it exists.

The fact santa is used now is another method for this agenda.

Gay marriage is acceptable here as is it recognised and respected by me and many others.

Why it still needs to be advertised with matches. Pride and generally this kind of thing I dont know.

The world does not revolve around this issue people have bigger worries that this.

Just a suggestion like......

How do they explain same sex parents to their children!!

Why would we need straight pride? Heterosexual people have never been persecuted for being straight.

Homosexual acts were even illegal. Gay people couldn't be themselves for fear of ostracisation/abuse, so they had to live a lie or leave for good. And this is still going on in numerous parts of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

best not to talk about 'that kind of thing'... :d

• Advertisement
Advertisement