Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem after smart meter install

Options
  • 27-11-2021 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My electric meter was changed for a smart meter this morning. When he reconnected power my ring main tripped, I put this down to just one of those things and thought nothing more of it. Now my ELCB is after tripping. Any idea what it could be? Is it coincidental to the meter change? Could it be an earthing issue at the meter? (He was in and out in 10 minutes, so I dont know if they test after reconnecting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭JamBur

Just to say the ring main circuit tripped on reconnection, the ELCB tripped about 3 hours later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭John.G

Is the ring main circuit a MCB?

Sorry about the late reply, I work nights. Yes the ringmain is an MCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

Is the elcb tripping still

any chance of a photo of the smart meter including all associated wiring around it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The MCB may have tripped due to the current inrush as multiple devices were connected. The load may have been applied more gradually in the past.

The ELCB (or RCD) tripped 3 hours later, so I think it is unlikely that this event was linked to the Smart Meter install.

• Advertisement

Sorry for not getting back. I'm thinking that they were unrelated alright. The ELcB has been ok since. I'm off tomorrow so I'll post up a photo of the smart meter.

Thanks guys

Photos as requested. ELCB/RCD is ok now. Seems to have been unrelated. Possibly due to a crappy milk frother my wife uses:))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

Cheers for that.my initial thought was the main earth wasn’t originally connected/neutralised and when the cutout was replaced everything was connected correctly causing the trip switches to activate when they may not have had previously

That had been one of my worries as well. Pre existing fault highlighted by better earthing or something similar. Anyway hopefully I wont see any more issues. Cheers!

Advertisement