Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I send A&E fee to school?

Options
  • 30-11-2021 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24 Not2beconfused

Child needed to visit A&E due to head injury that occurred on school grounds during school hours. Does the school insurance cover the €100 A&E charge?

Thanks in advance

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Best Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Who arranges the insurance? The school or parents association.... whichever it is contact them if they say no it's not covered ask for a copy of the terms and conditions /policy schedule of the policy yourself so you can verify. If they say yes it's covered happy days.

Hope the lil one is ok. A trip to a&e is never fun.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Better off talking to a solicitor, you might be able to secure a lot more than the A&E fee

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭kippy

And this is why insurance (for everything) is beyond a joke and literally why we can't have nice things.

• Is that right?

because a child fell/tripped/was pushed/whatever happened they should sue the school?

something wrong with y’all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Absolute rubbish ...

Please explain why ?

Accidents are mostly the persons fault , not always the business/school/councils fault !!

Compo culture at its best .....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Not2beconfused

To clarify, I'm not looking for compensation of any kind. I just know from sporting injuries, the club insurance covers hospital expenses, so wondered if the same applied to school insurance.

• Advertisement

OK, I'll do that. Thankfully all was OK after CT scan etc, concussion, but nothing more sinister. Thanks for asking

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Had to bring my daughter to our Local Injury Unit for stitches last week. Injury occurred at home after school hours. When we were checking in in the hospital, the woman in the office said the €75 fee would be covered by the school's insurance. Now, there's no way I'd pass it on to them - I'm responsible for my own child. But I thought it was odd that she said it.

To be honest, I wouldn't expect the school (or their insurance) to pay such a bill even if it happened on school time and property. I'd be reserving insurance claims for something serious. But that could just be me, and I guess if you're comfortable with it, there's no harm in saying it to the school.

Accidents are usually the person's fault? Nice bit of victim blaming there straight off the batt.

Sure, some accidents may be caused by the person or they may have contributed but often the fault lies elsewhere.

For example, in this, the school may have been negligent. Were there trip hazards, cracked or potholes yard surface? Were the step/ramp properly built to the correct gradients etc? were matts properly fixed or were they loose creating a trip hazard? Did they otherwise do enough to minimise the chances of slips trips and falls?

In fact, if the child was hurt on their ground and their time, for any reason which the school could have reasonably foreseen and could have prevented or reduced the risk, then they are more than likely going to be found negligent.

Did they have appropriate first aid procedures in place to react to an accident, and did they implement them on this occasion?

And as for your child's injury, a concussion is not a trivial matter. You're child is at a risk of a very severe and life threatening brain trauma in the event of a second impact in the coming months. For example, for a period of weeks or months after a concussion, even something that would be otherwiese harmless, like being hit in the head with a football, could cause severe brain swelling which could be permanently debilitating or fatal.

Your child might have to stay out of sports or any other very physical activities for a period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,437 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

You pay in your school fees for the insurance. Something like 7 euro per child. I have claimed back the a and e fee many times. Just ring the school and ask for the form .

That's true, we were told no contact sports for a week but will be monitoring them very closely and taking a little break from sports for a while just to be safe

• Advertisement

Great, that's what I had thought and thanks for letting me know that you have had no problem doing so.

You jumped straight in and blamed the school...

Solicitors ???

And then added in concussion for extra dramatic effect .... 🙄

Maybe the child fell ..... of his/her own accord?

People like you are the reason why kids are barely able to play games in school playgrounds !! CompoCulture

I didn't bring in concussion. The OP mentioned that the child had concussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The suggestion that the first port of call is a solicitor is the issue to be honest - no matter who is "to blame". You do realise that if every parent/invididual went to a solicitor every time they or their child had a fall we would have more serious issues with the world than we do right now.

The attitude that the solicitor is the first port of call in instances such as this is why in this country, the insurance profession, the legal profession should be subject to far stricter regulation.

We all know the "ifs and buts" that you outline in your post above and indeed, concussion is a serious matter, but lets get things straight here, running to a solicitor helps no-one apart from maybe the solicitor.

Businesses are closing all over the place because they cannot get insurance. Public spaces are closing due to litigation issues. People don't want to volunteer for anything because of issues such as this.

Advertisement