Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curse of Defective Concrete (Mica, Pyrrhotite, etc.) in Donegal homes - Read Mod warning Post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Where are you getting the information that, "most of these houses are on family land" from?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

How do you get to the 92% figure? I haven't heard the detail of the scheme. Is demolition covered? Is renting another property whilst out of your house covered? Foundations? Storage of belongings? Boundary walls? Detached garages? All these things weren't covered by the previous '90/10' scheme which is why the 100% redress campaign started. Eminently fair? Not in my opinion.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Emotional and dramatic maybe but perhaps this is a man like alot of others are at the end of their tether. Being a considered and informative speaker hasn't done much over the last ten to fifteen years and that is not a reflection on Michael Doherty who is brilliant I agree.

Only for Paddy being emotional and dramatic we would still be listening to empty promises from Government and local representatives.

Cant believe how many people on this forum and others are blinded by the 420,000 statement when the sq/ft details don't work.

The governments spin doctors are doing a brilliant job at feeding the trolls and hoping to divide and conquer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

1 - it's not €420k. It's €420k minus all manner of deductions and loopholes.

2 - you have some odd ideas of house value if you think €420k will buy a palace for a family of 10. My house is a 1900 sq ft bungalow and my house insurance rebuild estimate is €320k. A friend has Mica in his 3k sq foot house (not a family of 10, just 7) and he has been estimated €650k to replace like for like.

3 - it doesn't matter if it is palace fit for a family of 10. If someone built that palace with their hard earned money and sh*tty soft touch government regulation means that it's now falling down, then it should be replaced like for like. If you crash a Porsche the insurance company don't tell you to replace it with a Fiesta because "sure it's grand, it'll get from A to B".

I get that, like I said in my original post, that passion is the only reason that this is under discussion now and he should be commended.

But the same fire and anger that brought this to the fore can just as quickly derail the whole thing if Paddy leads the charge to bring Dublin to its knees.

You're right the the government are doing a great job of turning public opinion against the campaign. But Paddy and others of that mindset are feeding directly into that by impacting on ordinary innocent Dubs rather than the government who caused this mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,182 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If you crash a 10 year old Porsche they don't give you a new Porsche though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Because life's a bitch and then you die... and the age old principle of buyer beware. Nobody owes YOU a living, the state (other taxpayers) taxpayers are NOT responsible for poor decisions that YOU made as regards builders, architects, engineers and suppliers. That's on your head.

WE may have sympathy for you and as I've outlined a reasonable offer would be housing in state built modest family homes or a long term loan scheme if you insist on repairs to existing properties.

That would be more than sufficient.

Thanks, you've made exactly the point.

None of this is due to homeowners making bad decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It is entirely down to homeowners - who purchased or built the houses. And you know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,184 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I get your point, but what other options are left. Desperate people do desperate things and these home owners are past the point of desperation. I think the homeowners have acted impeccably so far considering all the times the government have not met their said dates for a decision on this. People can only take so much.

Why who crashed a house. Ffs.

No fault of homeowners, and you are well aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Concrete Cavity Block

If I bought a shite car I wouldn't expect the tax payer to pick up the tab for me to replace it...

Welcome to the forum. You're not equating like for like. My house wasn't shíte when I bought it. It is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Actually it was, you didn't know it at the time but it was, similar to if you bought a car with some unknown underlying issue that later raises it head.

In the case of a car the manufacturer would be responsible.

In the case of a house it is more complicated, is it the developer/builder or the supplier of blocks and are they still in business, that is where the compensation should be coming from.

It's much more complicated than that. The main supplier of defective blocks was operating a block yard without planning permission. DCC and therefore government are implicated in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,184 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Yeah you lost all credibility there. 8/10 for effort, 3/10 for execution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Well there it is now in black and white.

420k per unit cap and 145 sq/ft. Ye may take it or leave it.

Where in black and white? Nothing confirmed yet AFAIK?

RTÉ reporting the figures agreed at Cabinet this morning.

Just seeing that now. No official announcement yet though.

Is it still a 90/10?

Aside from those with bigger houses being shafted, how does this pan out in terms of actual cost bearing in mind that the previous deal worked out more like 60/40 once the exclusions were accounted for.

The devil will be in the detail. Is the sqft cap index linked? That's only for starters. No word on demolition costs, storage, rent, etc., etc.

What on earth does planning permission for the yard have to do with anything?

I hear the owner also mitched from school, need to get the school board involved also then, right?

Well, the demand was 150, based on recent Donegal CoCo project costs.

145 out of 150 is 96.7/3.3

If the council had closed them down for operating illegally then they wouldn't have been able to supply the blocks.

• Advertisement

Oh come on, you simply have to be better than this!

If the owners parents hadn't met the owner wouldn't have been born, you want them to get involved in redress too then?

Advertisement