Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mine is 5800 also. also using heavy winter gloves for the first time today...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and of course, when i took the bike out just now to try to troubleshoot, it was nearly impossible to reproduce the issue. of probably 100 downshifts, a single one failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Does your shifter cable run underneath your bottom bracket shell? I had an issue before where the cable guide got blocked with shîte from the road, shifting became quite unreliable

actually, i'm going to take the bike out now for a spin, so that's something i'll try before i leave - just a light dab of lube on the cable runners under the BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

I find when wearing gloves if I tip off the up shifter when trying to downshift at all then there zero action on the shifter until the second press

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

A bit of a "how long is a piece of string" but...

Would anyone know the clamp diameter for the stem of a 2006 Trek 1200sl?

I need a shorter stem I've noticed the word over sized popping up and I don't want to order a part that won't fit.

Doing a Charity spin on Sunday and I've had some foot and nut numbness I've been trying to dial out.

much better today, though i was wearing lighter gloves.

maybe my lever was just shrivelled and inoperative in the cold yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It happened to me a fair few times today - both levers - obviously a few more instances on the rear shifter. The tension release lever just moves like there was no cable attached. When I try it a second time it works perfectly.

So based on this thread I tried to 'simulate' the problem. Not a chance - it has mind of it's own. I did have the same bulky gloves on for what that's worth.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Any tips for what seem like impossible wheel/tyre combos.

Prime RR-50 (v1) and pirelli p7s. Front when on with some negotiation but the year will not budge. Been an hour, thumb blisters, tyre levers, one of those tyre hook tool things and the crank brothers tyre tool (useless for these rims it turns out.

It keeps popping off one side or the other no matter what I try. I was planning on being out for a few hours today and im just far too pssed off now

The rear GP5000 was a pig to get off too

Got it on. Huzzah.

Punctured immediately boo. Can't get spare tube on now. I've never, ever, known a tyre to be this nigh on impossoble to get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Of absolutely no benefit, but if they're that hard to get on, is there any chance you punched the tube while installing?

Oh yes, I completely punctured them putting them on. I I hadn't even put them back on the bike.

New smaller tube 18-25 instead of 25-32 (28mm tyre), heating tyre on rad and fair liquid on rim in the hend got it on, but still required levers which always risks the punctures above.

The lifeline tyre seating tool, is a load of shite

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

I’ve found in the past that this is usually a result of something blocking the little metal paddle that’s moved by the black plastic finger paddle you press to shift to a harder gear at the rear.

Make sure the path is clear of the hood/a stray bit of bartape or dirt. And if there’s no visible obstruction, flush the area with wd40 or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I had a hard time getting Pirelli Cinturato Velo on Fulcrum Racing 4 after my first puncture. Reminded me of the Marathon Plus on. Sore thumbs, wrists, blisters etc. With that amount of fussing about its inevitable to pinch the tube in the process as you get more and more fed up. First week of having a puncture resistant tyre I got a puncture, couldn't get the tyre back on and needed a lift...

Only heard of a tyre jack now but might be worth buying.

I have a tyre jack. I find it mostly useless. The part that grips the rim is too short so the lever action doesn't work properly. I'm spoiled by my wider rims and tyres that just go on with little persuasion

I've seen a few people say they're useless but the majority feel very strongly about them. I did see a tip to flip tyre levers around so they don't dig in as much when going back on but I've lost all my good levers and only using cheap ones at the moment so might try a tyre jack first before investing in a quality set of new levers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

On a cold day a few years ago, i had an issue with a freehub. the grease was frozen and prevented the pawls from moving, which left me with no drive. I bounced the bike a few times and they engaged and this got me home. My point is the cold can cause things to stick/not work and then the next day...they work and don't give any other issues.

Mind you, it could also be a frayed cable inside the shifter, so if your cables are a year or more old, id replace them anyway.

they're several years old at this point, so that was also on the agenda.

They're definitely not jammed. The cables seem fine - replaced 18 months ago and I don't really use this bike during the summer. Both levers work fine - it's just that every now and then when I press the 'tension release' paddle (of either shifter), it moves like it isn't connected to anything. Press it a second time and it shifts perfectly. It started when I moved to full winter gloves so I'm thinking it's possible the colder temperature that causes it - that or the bulky gloves but I can't really see how they would affect the lever action....?

It's not a massive problem - just something I've noticed and the engineer in me becomes obsessed with stuff like this 🙄

I had that with a Tiagra front derailleur and it bugged me for ages. Seemed to be no matter how much tension I had on the cable it wasn't enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I have an Ultegra 6800 RH Lever that does exactly the same thing - try to shift down and it doesn't catch the mechanism. I wonder if there's a lever arm worn down or something that isn't catching? You can achieve the same thing by moving the brake lever in a fraction then trying to shift with the little lever, and it'll move without engaging - that'll give anyone who isn't experiencing it an idea of how it feels.

Do saddles lose shape over time? The reason I ask is because the bike on the turbo is giving me hassle. I've adjusted the angle several times, bib shorts, no bib shorts, just not finding it comfortable.

The nose on the older one seems to go up ever so slightly, crude drawing example below. After adjusting the tilt down in small increments it's starting to make my position feel unnatural but still feel slight pressure, can't use drops. I'm starting to shift around a lot. Should I just spend the day adjusting things or should I just get a new saddle? The one I have on my ebike has a huge cutout, less padding and a flatter profile and I don't have an issue on it (albeit outside so not in the saddle as much as the turbo, but I definitely feel more even support)

I’ve known saddle shells to fracture on the underside but that would be obvious if you were to press down or sit on it.

I suppose they do wear over time but I’m currently running Selle Italia SLRs from the mid ‘00s with countless kms and they’re still going strong, albeit discolored and scuffed.

Was the bike comfortable on the turbo in the past? Maybe you could switch the saddle from your comfortable bike onto the uncomfortable one and see if that does the trick.

Post edited by nicksnikita on

This video may also be worth a look...

https://youtu.be/aigF5z_EvQM

I'll give it a watch. Getting the saddle on the ebike was a huge pain for some reason (probably just my fat fingers!) so I think I'll just take both bikes outside for back to back spins and see if anything stands out. Not sure why I'm having issues now but definitely seems the flatness of the SLR TM Superflow helps, not sure if it's the wider cutout or just better size but it also seems to fit nicer. I'll measure tilt on and off the turbo to see if there's a difference to account for. I wouldn't mind but I'm only on the turbo for 20-30 minutes!

had a quite weird experience today. i took my bike off the wall to go out for a spin, and as soon as i had it sitting horizontally, the guts of an eggcup of water poured out of the drain hole in the BB plate under the bike. i was left standing there, thinking 'where the actual **** did that come from?'

i've not used this bike in the wet in a good while, it's my carbon bike with no mudguards. i assume it must have been the big swings in humidity at the weekend? e.g. friday night was cold and dry but it got really mild and humid on saturday - the tools in my shed were all covered in a thin film of condensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

Everything in my garage was covered in condensation on Saturday too. I don't know whether you could get that much water vapour into a frame though?

it's the only explanation i can think of though. my assumption is that it has to have appeared since i last hung the bike up; unless the drain hole was blocked, the bike would have been drained clear the previous time it was horizontal.

I thought I'd follow up on this as I bought a tyre jack to go with a set of Schwalbe Marathon Winter Plus 35c. Anyone who knows the Marathon Plus knows how stubborn they are to go on. I could barely even get a tube in with the new tyres because they were so out of shape. When I finally got to the last section of tyre the jack was a big help. Had to do it in small sections but it went on no hassle. Wish I knew about this years ago...

• Advertisement

Same in my shed. Everything metal had condensation coating it from tools to Christmas beer cans. The bikes were condensation free because they're in the house 😉

Advertisement