Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This is what Farage and his xenophobia leads to. People blocking the launch of an RNLI lifeboat!

A fúcking lifeboat! Because they are angry that the RNLI, one of the oldest and finest life saving organisations in the world...

Are rescuing people, are putting to sea to save the lives of people in the channel!

When you dehumanise people and label them as migrants, it's also easy to protest saving them, helping them or even just pitying them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Was debating sharing this but thought it a bit off topic. Utter white supremacist trash. Unfortunately, the maximum penalty is an "unlimited fine". Hopefully, they have to sell their houses.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 25,537 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Idiots deserve to he battered away from the RNLI station, anyone putting lives at risk like that are pure scum and Farage with his constant bike spewing about the RNLI should hang his head in shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I really do hope that at the very, very least that a criminal investigation is undertaken. That anyone seeks to impede an emergency service in the commission of their duty is an utterly repugnant act and one that really requires a stronger sanction than solely a fine no matter if unlimited.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Farage is just a petty racist grifter. This'll make his day.

Fingers crossed. I hope they're named and shamed as well. I'd be all for prison terms but sadly this looks unlikely.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,863 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What happens when Farages boat crashes while he is out covering the refugee crisis ?

Should the R.N.L.I. just assume he is an economic migrant and let him drown ?

For a man who has already been knocked down and in a helicopter crash you would think he would be wearing of trying to obstruct the work of emergency services

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

You should also speak for yourself and stop calling racist and homophobs people who disagree with you.

That's exactly why we need channels like GB News

• Registered Users Posts: 68,705 ✭✭✭✭L1011

"We" don't need channels like GBNews for racists and homophobes to be protected from being called out as such.

They're being called that due to their actions, not because someone disagrees with them.

Exactly. You can't tolerate criticism so you need a safe space.

GB News is far from a safe space.

They've repeatedly invited the far-left, such as Owen Jones, who roundly rejects their offers - on the basis that it's a "right-wing" channel. It seems that the opposition are the ones who seek safe spaces away from GB News, and not vice versa.

In fact, at least some on the centre-left do take up the invite - such as many Labour MPs and gay rights advocate, Peter Tatchell - among many others. In fact, some TV presenters on GB News - most notably the homosexual comedian, Andrew Doyle, are actually left-wingers who vote for Labour. Nothing safe space about that, either.

The far-left seeks a safe space by trying and hoping for the elimination of GB News in its entirety. The fact GB News can air its views is enough to make them uncomfortable - hence the constant abuse, outrage, dehumanisation of its presenters, and ongoing demands for an advertising boycott.

This is just another example of projection from the far-left. Rather than admit they prefer safe spaces, elimination of all opposition voices and so on, they project that GB News must instead be the safe space. It's so transparent - and juvenile.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The far-left seeks a safe space by trying and hoping for the elimination of GB News in its entirety. The fact GB News can air its views is enough to make them uncomfortable - hence the constant abuse, outrage, dehumanisation of its presenters, and ongoing demands for an advertising boycott.

You clearly don't understand most of those words, as none of those things are happening.

Where are these "ongoing demands for an advertising boycott" happening? - Are these going to be like the "new advertisers" you claimed existed last week that you definitely saw but can't remember who they were for or what they were about?

Why would anyone bother pushing for a boycott anyway? No one is advertising with them anyway because no one is watching the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Whether it's through the demonization of GB News and its presenters and guests - and their desire to see it crumble, or their support for the ostracism and abuse of public figures such as David Starkey, JK Rowling, and Kathleen Stock (to name three of many possible examples) - or whether it's through the university system, where students are compelled to be "safe" from exposure to certain ideas, we are seeing the same people trying to turn society itself into one gigantic safe space organism where they can police what can be said and what cannot be said. GB News is part of that process, and the boycott campaign earlier this earlier was unsurprising to say the least.

The epithets attached to GB News - such as fascist, homophobic, far-right, racist, xenophobic, transphobic, bigoted, the claim that TV presenters actively desire migrant drownings - just make the accusers look absolutely ridiculous.

More fact-free nonsense.

GB News is a safe space and a toxic one at that given the silliness you have to resort to above to defend it. Is being gay a qualification now or something? Are gay people's views worth more than hetero people's? Is this your point?

you didnt answer the question

I'm curious what makes you refer to Jones as "Far-left"?

In fact, what exactly would be your definition of "far-left", given your musings on this thread?

BTW, I know logic isn't really your strong point, but "refusing to come onto a TV station that hosts racists, bigots, homophobes and wife-beaters" is a pretty big stretch of the definition of "safe space". Refusing to have certain guests on like, say, Harry and Megan, now that fits the description quite fittingly.....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

One could equally apply the inverse of all of that to GB News and its supporters though surely?

They want to cancel "woke" culture etc.

They want to demonise people they disagree with - Woke Watch anybody???

What's different?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,863 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not sure whether or not you have been keeping up with this thread but Eskimo is on record backing up a number of racists and homophobes. It's not just people I disagree with it's people like Anne Widdecombe who is definitely a homophobe

"dehumanisation of its presenters"

Says the lad that had a hissy fit because they are being called people and not migrants.

Nobody wants to cancel "woke".

We're simply arguing that those who are woke shouldn't have the right to bully and abuse and call for the ostracism of decent people. By all means they can have their views and air them and so on, but to harass, bully, abuse, and silence everyone with whom they disagree is where we draw the line.

GB News invites woke-types on all the time; most of whom reject to appear, cancelling themselves.

Trying to compare the two is yet another fatuous example of equivocation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭AllForIt

"shouldn't have the right to bully and abuse and call for the ostracism of decent people. By all means they can have their views and air them and so on, but to harass, bully, abuse, and silence everyone with whom they disagree is where we draw the line."

Really?

"Broadcaster Guto Harri has quit GB News after he was suspended for taking the knee during a discussion about racism towards England's black footballers."

""However, what followed was a tsunami of disappointment, resentment and hate. Old friends were amused to see me described as woke and Marxist. By Thursday night, the boss called and I'd been taken off air for the summer."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

And now he can't get back in🤣

I saw 10 minutes of that Mark Steyn character on the replay last night. Christ but he's a dose.

Oh what a fantastic scoop for GB News.

This should make for very interesting viewing indeed.

A narcissist being interviewed by a sycophant. You can easily predict how this will go.

Farage - The Trump interview - Jesus , can you imagine what that's going to be like?

Why would anyone in the UK want to listen to Trump tell everyone he's awesome and the Greatest President ever but most importantly and most frequently how the Election was stolen from him and how Joe Biden is awful???

I'm sure he'll throw in a few "Brexit is fantastic" and "Nigel, you are awesome because you love me" bon mots but otherwise , why give that gas-bag the air-time?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd say the most challenging question Farage will throw at Trump is "Have you heard of GB News?"

I tried watching the Starkey Farage thing and got about a minute it. If I want to watch some disgusting old scumbags get each other off, there are better places.

I'd say farage will need surgery afterwards to remove his nose from inside trump.

• Advertisement

Farage has been openly critical of the Capitol events; the persistence with 'election fraud' and so on; and has a more middle-of-the-ground approach to the climate question. I don't think this GB News exclusive interview is going to be as sycophantic as you and others believe. That said, it's undeniable that Farage is going to be somewhat obsequious and ingratiating to the former president, but that's the nature of all interviews of this kind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement