Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

A friend asking me here about pre flight covid tests, she is look at the Randox facility Dublin airport, and gosafe48 facility in Dublin city centre.

I assume all the same for the requirements for coming back into Dublin ( she on short trip also ) , only difference between these places is the price ?

Anything to watch out for for one of these places issuing the travel cert ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

I'm flying from England to Dublin Saturday .does the lateral flow test test need to be done by a company? I work on NHS and have lateral flow I do myself, will that be enough

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Christ almighty. The reason for the vaccine and the booster is so you'd don't end up in hospital or intensive care if you catch it. Without the vaccine we'd now be in lock down again and there'd be thousands in hospital and intensive care. It's got sweet fúck all to do with travel. I can't believe that people are really so bloody stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

But what happens when the test aspect is removed and it goes back to being 2 dose valid for travel or later on 3 dose valid for travel as per the current EU talks ?

What then ? If you don't get a booster then your backing yourself into the corner to pay for the PCR tests to travel.

If the option put infront of me in 2022 is booster and I can travel against staying at 2 doses and needing to pay 60 or 70 quid maybe more each way for tests, I'll pick booster all day long.

I used go safe when I needed my PCR for travel, no issues with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Ugh, now for a simple day trip to the UK on the ferry next week I'll need an antigen test the day before to last me the trip. That's so annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

No, needs to be done by a company, self testing not allowed .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No, you need to book one of the private companies to do the test

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Rmgblue

Stupid? Not me. I'm well aware of the function of the vaccine. I'm simply airing a grievance I have (difficulty travelling) and the *only* reason *i* got it was so I could travel. Whether you agree with that or not I really don't care. I'm vaccinated, boostered, recovered so now I want to travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

WHEN.....When exactly is WHEN? Because if you believe that is in two weeks time then more fool you

Everyone said this won't happen or that won't happen - and what happened?? This happened and that happened!!!

Two weeks to flatten the curve, eh 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

It is all silly really. Is this variant realistically going to be contained? No.

We are just kicking the can down the road if we try and put up barriers and inflict further financial ruin on people working in these industries and needless friction for family getting home for Christmas.

It is infuriating. 2 years into this and there still using blunt instruments that have been shown to be ineffective

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The last 2 years have shown us that while restrictions are quick to be put in place - they are very very slow to be lifted. Anyone who thinks this requirement will be reversed in 2 weeks is very naïve.

What are you asking me for ? The proposals for vaccine cert validity with 3 dose are with the EU commission.

I'd be shocked if let's say for example I want to go on holidays next summer if its not 3 dose and you simply use the vaccine cert. 2 doses = tests.

Guess which option is easier and less hassle.

If someone wants to stay at 2 doses and pay for tests that's their own choice and they're entitled to do that but don't go moaning then about having to pay for tests because of a personal choice.

That's all before even getting into that fact that whatever country you end up going to will probably be looking for 3 doses to have your cert valid for availing of amenities in the country

Especially considering the booster is offered at no direct cost to the individual

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

I personally expect this new requirement will remain until the Vaccine Cert is amended to require boosters.

I popped down to Lidl there, 2.50 per antigen test.

Obviously worth nothing in terms of being official, but handy for piece of mind if you have an antigen test coming up.

But for people who want it to travel, get it when you need it - otherwise by the time next summer comes around, you're on your 4th or 5th booster!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭johnire

Really? I would have thought it would be a lot of hassle trying to locate somewhere that does these tests and organising your whole day around getting to the location and back again. On a personal level it's most definitely the last thing I'd want to be thinking about if I'm on a supposed relaxing holiday! Not to mention the added cost.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I think for us travelling as a family, it's not so much about the cost of the actual pre-departure tests but rather the money lost should we get a positive result before travel. And if we do get to travel, the issue of needing additional regular tests to access amenities abroad.

We hope to travel in Summer 2022. Our DCCs will be expired (over 9 months). Husband and I will have Boosters but the 2 Teens (aged 12-15) may not as it is not known if that age group will be offered them. So, we could be backing the realm of Tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

Wow!

So 2 adults fully vaccinated travelling with young kids - adults can get antigen but the kids will need PCRs ?

haha what a racket...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

Anyone know yet is it within 72/48 hours of your scheduled landing in Ireland? Or scheduled departure to Ireland?

You're surely not blaming the authorities for the unknown happening

Fact of the matter is for Ireland to do business in the world we absolutely have to have a vaccination programme to defeat Covid

We could build more hospitals and train up 100's of new nurses,but that takes time

We'd also have to increase pay which would have everyone else in the public service selfishly clamouring for the same rises,which we cannot afford

There is no way other out of this

Hopefully and I say this with a big H,when more is known about omicron in a few weeks or months,we will discover that it's not vaccine busting

Because if it is,there will be more than pcr's to worry about

Summer holidays would be cancelled with borders shut etc because it would take several months to tweak the vaccines and get everyone vaccinated again

Theres a lot of OTT reactions to what's going on ,it could be worse and hopefully will get better thanks to boosters (which look annual now untill the whole world is vaccinated and covid banished)

We are where we are

GoSafe are much quicker than randox on a pcr

I've had one turned round in 4 hours

Who is everyone?

The EUDCC always was temporary

Everything about this virus is a learning curve

There are things now we don't know that might give us a land later

Thats the pattern

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Irish times was saying departure, which makes most sense as how can you ensure you have a valid test for arrival time should you be near enough the limit and your plane or ferry gets delayed ? - plus, the consequence of not having a valid test is getting thrown into hotel quarantine prison at your own cost until you test negative on a PCR test so really it should be departure (which you have control over) and not arrival

I'll be likely getting the ferry from France in a few weeks and I literally cannot be sure when I will land in Ireland given storms and whatnot which can add a heap of hours onto the arrival time. Sometimes ferries need to stay at sea for over a day , which would likely mean most passengers getting thrown into hotel prison.

Either way, it'll be clearly stated in the legislation I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭bikeman1

In one fell swoop the government has single handedly ruined Christmas visits and well earned breaks away for hundreds of thousands of people.

People heading back to their home country to visit friends and family. Those heading for a weekend away. Those going for work. Whatever the reason for travel, each person travels for a good reason and have to put up good amounts of money to do so.

Now folks risk being stranded for Christmas outside of Ireland. Hundreds and thousands down the drain if they test positive. All while being doubly vaxed and playing by the rules. This has to stop. It will ruin December for many. It makes no sense scientifically to test people 48 / 72 hours before arrival if they then go off to a party and meet loads of people. And then mix with thousands at the airport and on the plane.

I would be all for random antigen testing on landing in the airport in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭obi604

silly q, if you are only going on a quck break for 1 night.

So fly out of Ireland on say Friday night at 6pm

and back to Ireland again on Saturday at 9pm

How does the whole getting tested work for this kind of scenario?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Get one before you go to cover the whole trip.

Advertisement