Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Imagine giving so much of our roads to buses which are now mostly empty. Better cycle lanes are wise, more alternative bus service providers, so too encouraging car sharing, which works in other places. Dublin Bus are not good. I recall falling at a time when I was recovering from injuries as the bus driver lost patience with my slow descent and so pulled off, or how aggressive and insulting they could be to a student, when I was one. A good many drivers love COVID rules as it gives them a pretext to be aggressive to customers. Mostly they were okay when I used to use a lot, but the negative percentage was far from negligible.

Fundamentally the current Bus Connects strips my area of three buses and replaces it with three quarters of one service. Until its useless design is reconsidered, it should not happen. I hope it won't, and don't think it will, except a new bus lane or two might be brand 'Bus Connect.'

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

Someone in the NTA would have sat down and actually designed that lack of connectivity at the Hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

6.40 this morning inbound at the second stop at Palmerstown two C3s and a C1 all loading at the same stop, outbound an 52 and C4 travelling in convoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

As far as I know, 52 is not synced with C routes and works on it's own schedule so it can bunch up with any of C route. However, other Cs shouldn't. But I guess it's hard to achieve on peak times without a proper frequency, no cash interaction and still very little priority bus junctions. In this instance the biggest impact is most likely a number of passenger, only one entrance door, and slow ticket validators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I stood from 7.00 to 7.15 this morning at what would have been the 5th or 6th 25a stop. Usually 3 25as come during that time - two scheduled, one extra bus for capacity. Just one C1 showed up. It was much more full than usual. Another C1 must have come shortly behind it because at 7.20 there was a C2 C1, C1 bunched together in Foxborough (this is normal though to ensure capacity but there seemed to a bigger build up at the stops this morning by that stage.) Driver clearly not familiar with route, asking directions, banged the kerbs at the roundabout on Griffeen Road, tried to overtake the C2 outside Centra in Foxborough 😮 . I was 10 minutes later than usual than if I got 25a at 7.13. I'll be leaving a lot earlier tomorrow. Capacity was under pressure but just about OK at that stage.

My colleague says the 4.44 C1 did not show up. Left standing in the cold and dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ye, there must be a lot of novice drivers on the Cs, got stuck behind a C4 earlier between Maynooth and Celbridge, doing about 30-40km/h and constantly braking for no reason.

Regarding the L58 & L59, I know DB doesn't have smaller buses anymore, but running empty double-deckers on these routes seems like a massive waste of resources. I know it's early days for the new routes, but given where they run and that apparently they're not timed to meet trains, I can't see the demand being there. The old bus that used to do the Hazelhatch run was a minibus.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭d51984

There are new electric single deck buses on the way for these very routes, believe it or not a current single deck diesel bus would use just as much fuel as a double decker so it works out about the same.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭d51984

If the NTA wanted single deck buses in a hurry for the Dublin Bus operated routes, they would of just swapping SG/GT to go ahead for a few streetlites.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/sandymount-residents-seek-change-to-busconnects-route-1.4741141

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Quite a few routes have swapped garages so I would cut the drivers some slack as they get used to their new routes.

As for Hazelhatch and the L58/L59, I merely highlighted one late night departure that didn’t connect. I did not suggest that the rest of the departures didn’t connect. You’re putting two and two together and making five. You cannot judge a brand new bus service just on one day - it will take weeks and months for them to build up custom. People take time to change their habits.

• Advertisement

I think that most of the ones destined for Dublin will be on the inner city O orbital route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

In an ideal situation; most of the double deckers that are being used for the new L routes at the moment should be utilized on larger capacity routes where there is more capacity to be filled up i.e spines, radials, orbitals, peak services etc.

It is perfect for GAI to use the streetlites for their new L routes as the length of them are much better suited to cater to a specific demand.

The new single deckers on order from ADL are coming with different variants of size to allow them run on the appropriate routes that can be provided either with or without middle doors.

If the ADL 200EV's are known to be reliable & work more efficiently with having zero emission technology. The NTA have made a very good purchase decision to buy them rather than sticking with the streetlites.

Ye, early days I know. I'm trying to judge of RTI but it doesn't look great. For example trains due at 17:28 & 17:30, L58 leaves at 17:26 and L59 at 17:28.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Doesn't look like a great start tonight for Celbridge anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Re: 4.44 C1: there's an issue with the working timetables when coming off a Saturday or a Sunday schedule onto the Mon-Fri schedule, and vice-versa. Basically DB schedulers royally messed up and on the weekend schedules the 4.4x C1/C2s are covered by the Sat/Sun early duties, but on the MF schedule they're done by a night duty from the previous day. What therefore happens is that on a Friday/Saturday night (or a MF/BH night) the 4.4x departures should be done by two buses at the same time, but on a Sunday/Monday (or a BH/MF) night the 4.4x is missing.

Obviously nobody spotted that in the bill approval or verification process and here we are. This issue doesn't exist on the 15, 39A, and 41 schedules because DB applied a consistent rule: 4.30 is the last departure done by the previous day's night duties, 5.00 is the first departure by the new day's early duties... which they nearly achieved on the C1/C2.

I was thinking when looking in the schedules... why 0.00am-4.59am was showing after 23.59pm in the same day but the end of the list, not the beginning. Normally, in other countries, schedules for passengers are showing up from 0.00am to 23.59pm. But it's now left to wonder if that 4am bus is actually meant to be for, let say, Friday morning, Saturday morning, Sunday morning or Monday morning. Or considered as a Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday EVENING service (because it's showing in the end of the schedule, after the evening departures, not in the beginning, just before the morning departures).

It really makes me upset and a bit annoyed how much lack of attention to detail NTA has and how little they think through for the passengers. It like anything else in Ireland: ah that's grand, don't worry about that, it will sort it out itself.

@TranslatorPS thanks for that explanation. That's mad! Do you think it will be safe to be there waiting for it tonight/early tomorrow morning then? She's going back to taxi for the moment though. We're sick of 'Operational Issues" long term on 25a but honestly would have thought that you could rely on newly launched services (avoiding bad publicity) and particularly buses at a time where a no show would leave people stranded and very vulnerable.

That’s definitely a new one for the book of mistakes - I can’t remember a departure not being rostered before - that simply shouldn’t happen of course.

It will be interesting to see how they get around it next Monday morning!

I do remember years ago one Sunday morning two sets of drivers and conductors and two buses operated a full morning shift on the same roster on the old 61 from Townsend St to Landscape Road, a route that was lucky to manage double digit passenger numbers at the best of times.

The crews said nothing to the depot and just kept going! Each departure had two buses and virtually no passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ILBondo

Has anyone availed of the night routes C1/C2 or C5/C6 and are they popular. I'd worry they'd struggle with reduced venue opening hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I got on the C3 this morning at Tara Street. The stop is close to the traffic lights, someone else posted wondering if it is a temporary stop?

The bus driver was waving at me as he pulled up, wondering did I want to get on, then he said he was never told there was a bus stop there - only in Ireland.

*Image only uploads sideways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭jams100

That was me, I understand why they want a stop there with it being so close to Tara Street train station, but it's way too close to the traffic lights and that's a notoriously slow spot for traffic at rush hour (even with the bus lane).

Hopefully most of the problems people have been highlighting are just teething problems. On a positive note its great to now have 24hr bus service on our spine! (Especially when nightlife returns to normal).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,517 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Tara Street needs a complete revamp anyway, the left turn onto the quays should be bus only and there should be much wider footpaths. There's no need to have cars at all on City Quay, it's not fulfilling any access requirement, simply providing a through route for car commuters, which is not what the centre of the capital city should be. There should be a two way cycle lane on Tara St that continues the full length of Pearse St. And crosses the river towards Gardner St.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

In terms of delays to the network rollout, the plan is still the same as what I posted earlier in the year but the inner orbitals (O, N2) are now delayed to June 2023. They will now be launched alongside the E spine.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭TranslatorPS

You're safe as long as long as you're on a MF/MF or MF/Sa or MF/BH night. In the first case the overlap is exact, in the latter two the departure in question should be double-worked. It's only if you're going from a Saturday, Sunday or Bank Holiday to a Mon-Fri that the departure vanishes into ether.

It's roughly going by the idea that the schedule is split by the working day, in the sense that departures worked by the previous evening's working timetable still follow it. Of course that's not truly the case, as there are a few departures in the C1/C2 timetables that are listed at the very beginning yet are worked by the previous day's WTT. Bus Eireann's online timetables are actually exactly by that rule if you look at the 109A.

My homecity had a curious example when it operated the only 24-hour city buses in Poland (all other cities having separate night networks if at all). For the longest time their public schedule was from 2am to 2am despite actual duties lasting until 5-6am. It took years to get it sorted out into proper midnight to midnight schedules, and then in 2018 separate night routes were introduced anyway: and yet those have their 11pm departures at the end of the public prints...

11pm in the end I would understand, but really, see 4am in the end seems odd. I wouldn't understand, on Sunday morning (the night from Saturday to Sunday) do I need to look a time on the Saturday or Sunday schedule? I would logically think to look on Sunday but because early morning departures are in the end of the schedule, I would think to look on Saturday. Would I be right in doing so?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That's crazy stuff. June 2023 is a very long way off to start the O route from now. What was the main reason to having it's implementation delayed for another year?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Glorious morning for Dublin Bus again.

C3 due in Maynooth at 0637 doesn’t show up. Next one due at 0657 shows up 10 minutes late.

Really not happy with C1 between 6.45 and 7.15 so far. The timetable appears to be a work of fiction with 15+ minute waits between buses that apparently depart every 6 to 8 minutes. There must be a black hole they disappear into somewhere on the way from Adamstown. It is just unacceptable and would never have happened on 25a despite its shocking unreliability off peak. Buses are also incredibly slow for some reason. Journey time has increased by 10-15 minutes for no obvious reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Gotta love all the SUVs in that picture. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It is possible that increased Covid rates are causing buses to be cancelled through driver absence.

The TFI app will show cancelled departures (once the controller marks them off).

Re the speeds, they are now working to a public stop by stop timetable and have to stick to that. It may be that it is too slack.

Advertisement