Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish protocol.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,718 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Thank you for the first admission, and I think you owe posters an apology for wasting time.

The second bit is your own issue. If a statement of fact 'flames' you, that is not my issue either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Pedantry and semantics are all this strain of unionism has left. That and outrage, endless outrage. Politicians mostly with low competence, elevated to disproportionate importance in the world by conflict, have nothing to offer except more of the same.

Juvenile point-scoring about unimportant details while ignoring reality is the stock in trade of those opposing the NIP. The same tactic can be seen among hard Brexits. No argument left to make so endless circular nonsense. Pin dancing.

You can quibble about Francie's use of "unionism" by posters until the cows come home but that's all it is, quibbling, Nearly two pages challenging the semantics of a sentence by one poster but dead air on the substantive issue because you cannot argue with his central point.

Francie is correct, "Unionism" tried to/is trying to take down the GFA. Sammy Wilson and the ERG still hope for no deal and a hard border on the island.

Ridiculous idea that this can be separated from unionism which has been represented by the DUP (First Minister) for some time now. The UUP has been an irrelevancy for a decade.

Donaldson, as First Minister relentlessly speaks for NI and about "the people of NI" when he's only speaking for unionist NI.

As long as I've been alive, I've heard unionists speak about "the people of NI" when they meant protestant people - unionists.

This has never been more obvious than in Donaldson's ever more ludicrous attempts to undermine the NIP. He had no mandate to speak for "the people of NI" yet he does. Every day.

Unionism wants it's cake. So does downcow.

The attempt here to masquerade as some kind of voice of reason is both grating and irritating. Total waste of energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Wrong on all accounts.

the uup were voted the biggest party AFTER signing the gfa. So it is clearly evident they were fully in step with the greater body of unionism.

as for you comments on the ira. I assume you didn’t live in the north. Again it is clearly evident where they directed they ire. Unionist businesses, homes and people, And yes, also the brits.

I can’t find anything there to disagree with. It is day and night from what francie said.

Once again downcow...did Unionists oppose the GFA and are they opposing the Protocol?

Never mind the shinners, the RA and whatever else you try to deflect to...answer the question...yes? or no?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So British terrorists are again threatening violence if they don't get their way against a government mandated protocol. That they threaten violence despite the will of the British people who voted for their government based on the TCA which includes the NIP. That NI is performing economically better than any of the other UK regions is of no relevance. These terrorists and their political mouthpieces don't care about what the people of NI want. They simply want to damage the region they pretend to love.

image sourced on twitter

you are factually correct when you say

“Francie is correct, "Unionism" tried to/is trying to take down the GFA.”

but only if this statement is also factually correct

“republicans are still trying to murder people to end the gfa because it recognises the legitimacy of Northern Ireland”

im ok with both statement being fine or both statements being try’s but misleading.

SOME unionists francie, SOME unionists. You are just being silly.

mind you, it’s hardly a surprising statement from someone who can only see things in black and white and them and us

• Advertisement

Post the signing of the GFA and after Unionists tried to bring it down, the majority of Unionists voted for the party that tried to bring it down and never signed up to it officially. They still do vote for that party.

Also true.

Of course. And post john Hume getting involved in the civil rights the majority of nationalists switched their allegiance to the political wing of the ira.

also true

post the sinking of the titanic the Americans decided to go to the moon.

also true

we can post silly stuff that is misleading but factual all night

Or you could deal with your history downcow?

This has been an illuminating episode as it perfectly mirrors Unionist behaviour...deflect and blame everybody else for their own failures, incompetency and bizarre strategic moves.

Francie maybe we can end this silly little spat with reality.

the majority of unionists supported the pro-gfa in the election immediately before the signing of the gfa and in the election immediately after the signing of the gfa.

the rest is spin and I am going to try very hard to ignore you further spin on this issue.

...and then voted en masse for the Unionists that tried to bring the GFA down. The same Unionists who are now trying to bring the Protocol down.

And you're still at it.

Everything unionism has done since the Brexit referendum has been indefensible and that's just within the unionist community, never mind for the rest of us. Limbo dancing on pins won't change that.

Your response ignored everything I said, lobbed in a straw man to create a bit of fog and tried to force me to down your rabbit hole. No thanks.

"you are factually correct when you say “Francie is correct, "Unionism" tried to/is trying to take down the GFA.”

but only if this statement is also factually correct

“republicans are still trying to murder people to end the gfa because it recognises the legitimacy of Northern Ireland”

im ok with both statement being fine or both statements being try’s but misleading."

Neither statement relies on the other to be true. They are not connected in any sensible way. They are either accurate or not. One does not balance the other.

This interminable insistence that every substantive point must be balanced by a wrong committed by the other side is the only tactic you have and it gives you the cover you need to avoid answering direct questions. It's in plain view throughout the thread.

It's not normal downcow, in my world, to have to declare your position on terror. It might be in yours. The Ireland I live in has never been a Provo Ireland. Never. This is a fundamental and wilful misconception by unionists but it feeds your narrative. When images of the Shankhill bombing appeared on my screen on the day it happened, my reaction was not to point immediately to a similar loyalist atrocity for a bit of balance. I just thought about families destroyed and people dead before their time.

You're wired that way, as are many NI nationalists. I'm not and I would suggest that the vast majority of Irish people outside NI are the same as me.

It is not normal to think that way but perhaps explains why you cannot present yourself here in good faith. I'm sure you think you're fighting the good fight but unionism has given you very little work with.

Unionism's approach to Brexit in the here and now is the problem, not some pointless debate about dissident republicans who can't tie their shoeleaces without the PSNI or Gardai knowing about it.

That's unionism as represented by the DUP, the dominant party in NI politics and Donaldson when he speaks for "the people of NI", the unionism that turned it's back on all "the people of NI" when they supported Brexit against logic and common sense. Unionism that tried to and its still trying to impose a hard border against the wishes of everyone but the same people who voted against it and refused to sign it.

Many here have been trying to do engage with you reasonably but it is clear there is no point.

You insist on a football match.

It's very tiring and you're not fooling anyone. Just wasting time and energy.

Often the people affected most by prejudiced thinking are those who think they themselves are not prejudiced!

Pretty startling narrative begining to emerge which fully explains Unionists fears about the Protocol. That for the first time it has outperformed the rest of the UK..why? Because it is aligned with the rest of it's natural hinterland and the rest of the EU.

The fear of the Protocol, is the same fear they had of the AIA and the GFA. They thought Brexit would right those 'wrongs'.

The Protocol does not 'shatter the Union' as Jim and Jamie etc contend, it shatters Unionist self confidence and their death grip on supremacy. And the truth there is that they are the reason there is a Protocol in the first place.

Lots more popcorn to consume on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Is there anything to be said for a graph...

Lets not forget though that this is because of the 'good bits' of the protocol, and when the 'bad bits' are renegotiated NI can be more like the West Midlands or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

What a pathetic reply to a very well constructed post, the fact that your only response is a personal attack says it all really.

There was so much prejudice in it I didn’t know where to start. Here are just a few examples from the one post-

”Everything unionism has done since the Brexit referendum has been indefensible”

”This interminable insistence that every substantive point must be balanced by a wrong committed by the other side is the only tactic you have” - does he not call out nationalist posters on this - and even himself in that actual post lol?

“The Ireland I live in has never been a Provo Ireland” - did I ever suggest it was?

”When images of the Shankhill bombing appeared on my screen on the day it happened, my reaction was not to point immediately to a similar loyalist atrocity for a bit of balance. I just thought about families destroyed and people dead before their time.” Does his prejudice not allow him to realise this most unionists feel exactly the same after eg Greysteel?

“you cannot present yourself here in good faith”

…and here is his best yet. If the people of ni were a different race (and I’m beginning to think he thinks we are) then this below would be very direct racism - and he tells us nearly all irish people “are the same as me” lol classic - glad I don’t live in Ireland - I treasure diversity too much

“You're wired that way, as are many NI nationalists. I'm not and I would suggest that the vast majority of Irish people outside NI are the same as me”

I think you’ll see a fuller response above now. I could write an easy on it but don’t have time.

it may be well constructed, but the content leaves a little to be desired.

You didn’t think it was a trash original post?

remember it contained this, “You're wired that way, as are many NI nationalists. I'm not and I would suggest that the vast majority of Irish people outside NI are the same as me”

i suppose we could argue whether it is stereotyping, prejudice or both?

He said many nationalists are the same. His entire point, that too many unionists and nationalists point score and justify wrong-doing because of others' wrong-doing, is lost on you because you saw a glimmer of a chance to be a whinging victim and couldn't resist taking it.

You are exactly what he talked about. You justify evil with evil. It's archaic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It doesnt change the fact that your first instinct, that you immediately without any other thoughts followed through on, was to respond with a personal attack instead of trying to address any of the in my opinion very astutue observations from the post. Most likely due to you realising it hit quite close to home although you will never admit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,640 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Meanwhile, back on topic: the NI Protocol case.

On the second (and last) day of the hearing of Allister's appeal, the appellants apparently argued that, as the UK Parliament is a creation of the Acts of Union, it cannot enact something that is in breach of the Acts of Union (in much the way, I suppose, that the Oireachtas cannot enact a law that conflicts with Bunreacht na hÉireann, or the US Congress cannot enact a law that conflicts with the US Constitution).

This argument is striking for three reasons:

First, a large part of the theology of Brexit is that it's about restoring "sovereignty" which, in the UK context, is generally taken to mean the idea that the Crown in Parliament can enact any law whatsoever. The position Allister and his chums are taking in the appeal looks like a direct denial of that. It's an extraordinary position for Brexiters to take.

Secondly, it's also an extraordinary position for Ulster unionists to take. If the UK Parliament lacks the power to enact laws in conflict with the Act of Union, then there's a whole slew of laws that are invalid, including all the laws that create, and provide the constitutional arrangements for, Northern Ireland.

Thirdly, and relatedly, it looks like an argument that is all but doomed to failure. Two hundred years of UK constitutional tradition says the opposite; the UK Parliament succeeded to the full competence of the GB Parliament, and the full competence of the Parliament of Ireland. If those two parliaments could validly enact their respective Acts of Union, then the UK Parliament can validly amend or repeal them. It would be astonishing (not to mention highly disruptive) if the Court of Appeal or the Supreme Court were now to take the opposite view.

Conventionally, in the initial hearing of a case like this, you deploy all the arguments available to you but , when it comes to an appeal, you are generally expected to focus on those arguments which you think have the best chance of success. If the appellants are using some of their limited time to advance an argument which they must know is all but hopeless, that looks a lot like a strong signal that have no colourable arguments and do not expect to win this case.

He made sweeping statements. Including that most of the people in the south are like him lol. And implied they were warm and cuddly

If you take issue with that, you must believe otherwise.

• Advertisement

Trite and expected. Not going to entertain the pedantry so this is the last attempt

The real issue for unionism is not the NI protocol or the GFA.

The real issue for you downcow is that all the old tropes Paisley et al trotted out to make ALL Irish people the enemy are worn down to a stump now. I was never your enemy. I can confidently say the same for most Irish people. If you don't believe that, I think it simply underlines my point. Your mindset is fixed 30 years ago.

The priests are gone, nearly. They still have some power but we're working on that. A UI would end it. Protestants thrive in our society and are an integral part of the state, the HSE delivers better outcomes in Ireland than the NHS does in NI, the roads are better and we don't eat children.

The real issue for you downcow and the DUP, is that all the horrors preached about, all the reasons for scaring the kids are gone. We've moved on but you haven't. Interestingly, the DUP now make common cause with those in Irish society who would take us back into the arms of the catholic church, believe gay people are broken souls and support an anti-abortion position. How mad is that? The very people Papa Ian denounced, sharing ideology with the DUP.

The real issue for you downcow is that moderate unionsists who thought that their rights in these areas were protected by being in the UK, now see those rights denied by the DUP but delivered in the south. They have have traveled widely across Ireland before and since the GFA and have seen the changes for themselves. Scales have fallen from eyes but unionist rhetoric continues as if this is 1975.

The vast majority of Irish people outside NI do not exist in the perpetual state of whataboutery which infests debate about NI and never have. This is also a problem for you downcow because when they try to engage in open debate, your responses are conditioned, fixed.

Trying to wear moderate clothes does not change this.

And that's me done. Good luck.

Advertisement